• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One wins 3 consecutive months in NPD for the first time, #1 UK, up YoY

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think xbox has been doing a great job this year and they deserve the success.

I love ps4 but Sony has become a bit complacent and are chasing that vr hype instead of delivering the goods this year. I'm really disappointed in their focus on flashy tech and a slightly more powerful box over delivering great software and reducing price.
They just reduced the price with the Slim.

ZOONAMI

PS4 Pro + PS4 will easily beat Xbox One and Xbox One S for several months, just my gut feeling anyway. MS has already lost this gen. And gens are kind of done. Scorpio is basically a new "gen" but both MS and Sony have moved on to iterative cycles, so it will be somewhat trickier to say who is "winning." It doesn't really matter, it's just two different companies trying to sell some stuff. Differences in unit volume don't really mean anything as long as they are both making enough money to keep making hardware. Sony really doesn't care that they have sold x amount more ps4s than MS, and MS doesn't really care that they've sold less. As long as it's a worthwhile business case for both of them it really doesn't matter. That's why fanboys are funny.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah I think the most surprising thing to come from all of this is the complete difference people have reacted to the two Slim models. The Xbox's seems to be a big success while the PS4 Slim has been met with a resounding "meh".

The main factor of course has to be the fact the XboxS is an actual improvement over the base model, but still I would have thought the PS4 Slim would move more units than it has.

PS4 Slim is viewed as a downgrade + the PS4 Pro is releasing in just a few weeks.

Xbox One S is viewed by pretty much everyone as an improvement over the original Xbox One in many ways. That positivity definitely helps.

Didn't expect the Xbox One S to do this well so I'm definitely surprised. I had a feeling the S would help Xbox One sales to continue on being above Xbox 360 but not like this. Good momentum to build up in Xbox heavy territories (US & UK) as we get closer to th launch of the Scorpio.

RoKKeR

Not bad. The One S is a great product. Should probably do nicely this holiday as well, especially with the 4K Bluray selling point + MS finally deciding to make a Minecraft bundle.

Moze

Banned
Are that many people really waiting for the pro? If I had to get one I'd go for the cheaper one it's a console after all.

I don't think there are nearly as many people waiting for the pro as this thread seems to think. I know so many people who just do not care about it at all and will pick up the slim or have already picked up the slim.

I guess we will see next month.

Guymelef

I like how basing on #1 and #2 position the thing goes from XBO S "success" to PS4 Slim "meh"

What If #1 is 100 and #2 is 95?
What if #2 is 105 tomorrow? Will be a success then?

SOR5

As long as the big three are delivering I'm fine, keep the consumer at the core of your choices and the market will reward you

labaronx

I think xbox has been doing a great job this year and they deserve the success.

I love ps4 but Sony has become a bit complacent and are chasing that vr hype instead of delivering the goods this year. I'm really disappointed in their focus on flashy tech and a slightly more powerful box over delivering great software and reducing price.

Complacency....lmao Games take time... new ips dont just fall out of the air, or would you rather play killzone shadowfall 2 instead of horizon zero dawn

Are that many people really waiting for the pro? If I had to get one I'd go for the cheaper one it's a console after all.

To be honest I don't think the Pro is really having a significant impact in these past couple months. Some for sure, and I expect a big win for Sony in November when it launches due to some new users who waited, but mostly a big chunk of owners upgrading.

I think the last few months are just legit Xbox One outselling PS4, not a whole lot of "pushed off" sales.

I personally don't think so. I think the Pro will sell a lot but I don't think the PS4 losing this month is a result of the Pro.

I think it's largely the change up in the bundle combined with the time frame moving closer to the Holiday period. I think pretty much everyone would agree that BO3 is a more mass market friendly title then UC4.

Playstation fans
maxresdefault.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
Just a curiosity.

Why people are putting the NPD wins in Xbox One S's back? Are there any data shared? I'm asking because at launch OG Xbox One > Xbox One S.

Edit - Correction... S sold more.

Gamerman1

Anyway to see how much it outsold PS4 in the different areas? I mean when your behind by millions out selling the competition by 10-60 thousand doesn't seem like it makes much difference.

ZOONAMI

Just a curiosity.

Why people are putting the NPD wins in Xbox One S's back? Are there any data shared? I'm asking because at launch OG Xbox One > Xbox One S.

Well, it has ignited some brand momentum and then coupled with making og xbones cheaper. If there was no Xbox one s the og xbox one wouldn't be as cheap as it is. So Xbox one s directly relates to higher OG sales.

And a lot of people bought the S just for 4k bluray, myself included.

Maximus P

I had a feeling that stock levels of the £150 ps4 were low. I tried picking one up in the morning and was unsuccessful due to no stock at all my local retailers. A guy in my local Argos said that they only had around 20 in stock and they were reserved in the early hours of the morning with a handful of people buying multiple consoles.

I had no problem at all getting in on the £199 xbox one deal.

OCD Guy

360 pretty much tied the PS3 ww last gen despite only leading in North America (US/Mex/Can), Brazil, UK, and (at least at some point) Australia. Far too late for that to happen now, but they can at least make it more interesting than last year.

Ah ok, so as mentioned they make up quite a big percentage of buyers.

From what I remember Microsoft pretty much threw that lead away didn't they?

As it seemed like towards the last part of the gen they eased off a bit, while Sony were hitting their stride with exclusive games, PS Plus etc

Even though there are markets that the Xbox brand will likely never do well in, gamers are a fickle bunch and the last thing Sony should do is get complacent. We all still remember how Sony's arrogance and disastrous E3 caused them to throw away a lot of that loyalty they built up with the PS2 when launching the PS3.

Things could easily change as I don't personally think Sony are still on a real high, they started off on a high but momentum seems to be dropping off, or maybe it's just me.

Elios83

To be honest I don't think the Pro is really having a significant impact in these past couple months. Some for sure, and I expect a big win for Sony in November when it launches due to some new users who waited, but mostly a big chunk of owners upgrading.

I think the last few months are just legit Xbox One outselling PS4, not a whole lot of "pushed off" sales.

In September just no, the Pro is clearly pushing sales and making the Slim's value proposition not looking really attractive for many people.
Pro has been outselling both PS4 and XB1 by a good margin on Amazon and other sellers.

icespide

Banned
the PS4 slim has been a wet fart. No one really gives a shit about it. It's not a downgrade but it's just nothing to get excited about. The Pro will sell well but I think the holidays will be closer than people expect

Ah ok, so as mentioned they make up quite a big percentage of buyers.

From what I remember Microsoft pretty much threw that lead away didn't they?

As it seemed like towards the last part of the gen they eased off a bit, while Sony were hitting their stride with exclusive games, PS Plus etc

Even though there are markets that the Xbox brand will likely never do well in, gamers are a fickle bunch and the last thing Sony should do is get complacent. We all still remember how Sony's arrogance and disastrous E3 caused them to throw away a lot of that loyalty with the ps2.

Things could easily change as I don't personally think Sony are still on a real high, they started off on a high but momentum seems to be dropping off, or maybe it's just me.

It's just you. There Q1 shipments were higher this year then last year. So, momentum for them was not slowing down, at all.

labaronx

Which isnt that far-fetched when you look at exclusives, bundles, sales, i mean people are acting like they are selling 10 to 1, not to take anything away from Microsoft

I like how basing on #1 and #2 position the thing goes from XBO S "success" to PS4 Slim "meh"

What If #1 is 100 and #2 is 95?
What if #2 is 105 tomorrow? Will be a success then?

I don't think that people are saying the PS4 itself is meh, just the reaction to the Slim redesign. The PS4 is the market leader, it just had its first revision launch, and had a price drop, and it seems to have had very little impact.

The biggest tell to that being that the PS4 is actually down YoY this month, so the Slim couldn't propel it from the position it was in at this time last year.

SOR5

the PS4 slim has been a wet fart. No one really gives a shit about it. It's not a downgrade but it's just nothing to get excited about. The Pro will sell well but I think the holidays will be closer than people expect

I really warmed up to the PS4 slim in person, its a lot more quality in real life face to face. I can't explain it.

It is the best selling console SKU in September and October at Amazon by a good margin.

What is the margin, by the way? You forgot to include it. We can't see it so the insider info would be appreciated. Also perhaps some information detailing why Amazon is a good corollary for the market in general.

Thanks in advance.

ethomaz

Banned
Well, it has ignited some brand momentum and then coupled with making og xbones cheaper. If there was no Xbox one s the og xbox one wouldn't be as cheap as it is. So Xbox one s directly relates to higher OG sales.

And a lot of people bought the S just for 4k bluray, myself included.
But this argument about people buying S just for 4k bluray seems to be small and really anecdotal if OG Xbone is selling better.

Microsoft provided an actual incentive to purchase their slim console, while Sony's is nothing special. They deserve the sales. I'm curious to see how the Pro will perform and how much it'll make up for the prior months.

One3OneKing

Neo Member
Anyway to see how much it outsold PS4 in the different areas? I mean when your behind by millions out selling the competition by 10-60 thousand doesn't seem like it makes a much difference.

That's the thing, PS4 is not ahead of Xbox One by millions in NA which we are referring to with NPD. Xbox One iirc is only a bit more than a million behind PS4 in North America. People always fail to remember this.

Elios83

I don't think that people are saying the PS4 itself is meh, just the reaction to the Slim redesign. The PS4 is the market leader, it just had its first revision launch, and had a price drop, and it seems to have had very little impact.

The biggest tell to that being that the PS4 is actually down YoY this month, so the Slim couldn't propel it from the position it was in at this time last year.

You can't judge sales in a vacuum without a context pretending that people don't know there is a much better system coming out in November that costs just 100$ more.
That is having an obvious impact.
The sales the Slim is not having right now will be recovered in November, they're simply going into an other product.

AwRy108

3 months of fire-sale like prices, coupled with a massive Target glitch on the "S" models (I got the Halo bundle with the "S" model for just over $200; some people were getting them for less than $100) will certainly have an impact on the number of units sold. PS4 Slim should've been $250 or less to counter-act the XBone's slashed prices, especially since SONY's line-up of holiday exclusives is weak for yet another year.

ethomaz

Banned
What is the margin, by the way? You forgot to include it. We can't see it so the insider info would be appreciated. Also perhaps some information detailing why Amazon is a good corollary for the market in general.

Thanks in advance.
Amazon ranking is public.

September: https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016-09/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

#5 Pro
#24 next console SKU (OG PS4 CoD bundle)

October: https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016-10/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar#2

#34 Pro
#43 next console SKU (Gears LE bundle)

That's the thing, PS4 is not ahead of Xbox One by millions in NA which we are referring to with NPD. Xbox One iirc is only a bit more than a million behind PS4 in North America. People always fail to remember this.
That's still a lot of ground to gain if these wins aren't by any significant amount.

In September just no, the Pro is clearly pushing sales and making the Slim's value proposition not looking really attractive for many people.
Pro has been outselling both PS4 and XB1 by a good margin on Amazon and other sellers.

Again I'm sure its had some impact, I just don't think its a huge one, as this late into the generation most people that are waiting are doing so strictly for price and not power. People that traditionally really care about strength buy early or on PC.

Now again, I expect a huge launch for Pro and a dominant victory in November, because I expect a ton of people to be upgrading and being the vast majority of Pro sales. But how many new consumers really waited specifically this long into the generation because they wanted more power instead of lower price? Some but it couldn't have been many.

novabolt

I think November will be the real month of surprise. Pro vs a cheap XB1S bundle vs an even cheaper OG XB1 bundle, so exciting. October could be PS4's month due to PSVR.

Again I'm sure its had some impact, I just don't think its a huge one, as this late into the generation most people that are waiting are doing so strictly for price and not power. People that traditionally really care about strength buy early or on PC.

Now again, I expect a huge launch for Pro and a dominant victory in November, because I expect a ton of people to be upgrading and being the vast majority of Pro sales. But how many new consumers really waited specifically this long into the generation because they wanted more power instead of lower price? Some but it couldn't have been many.

Yep. Agreed.

I think 2014 and 2015 have provided us a fairly clear cut answer as to how this holidays will play out.

Price will win. Pro will just be fraction of the overall numbers and certainly not the primary mover.

Elios83

Amazon doesn't agree with you for example.
Pro has been vastly outselling both PS4 and XB so far.

noobie

Banned
Still people thinking my Sony is complacent talk is just stupid are just fooling themselves. Sony had a very good strong position, they could have easily locked the whole market but they wanted to earn the profit for the whole Sony from one device PS4. Which might make more sense as a company but as a division it certainly going to hurt them.

Top Bottom