• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One wins 3 consecutive months in NPD for the first time, #1 UK, up YoY

3rdbass

Banned
1487.gif

No no no

Honestly the sales of Forza Horizon is not that significant especially when compared to the inferior quality Gran Turismo game especially. Personally I don't even know anybody who plays a racing game.

A racing game that nobody plays. Overall still see PS4's better with all the releases they have over the year with Uncharted 4(great game), Ratchet and Clank, and Gravity Rush Remasterd. Also, it seems like some of the PSVR games are getting a good reception from Rez Infinite, UD: ROB, Battlezone, Rigs and Batman: AVR. Also, I'm psyched about The Last Guardian. Also, have Bloodbourne and Until Dawn in your lineup doesn't hurt. I just find more enjoyable of games for me.

Good for you, lol.

SOR5

Honestly the sales of Forza Horizon is not that significant especially when compared to the inferior quality Gran Turismo game especially. Personally I don't even know anybody who plays a racing game.

I think Gran Turismo is great, Forza is received critically and commercially well and your evidence is heavily anecdotal, were probably not gonna agree.

Pachinko

It's interesting how the rumors of the PRO (and eventual confirmation around E3) even existing have siphoned so much gas out of the sony hype rocket.

MS finally released a version of the xbox one that people wanted to own , I think that's the simple answer here. Combined with a growing list of backwards compatible titles , 4k UHD bluray support and some actual good exclusive titles THIS year and it's not really a surprise that the big battleground markets are going their way.

Sony manufactured and shipped about 40 million standard size PS4's by the end of July of this year. The slims started arriving about 2 months later , which implies a less than 100% sell through of the older model , those last couple million shipped had to last until pretty much the official slim launch date (september 16th). How many of those does sony plan to produce and ship in time for THIS christmas ? I don't know but I doubt more than a million made it out worldwide in the month of September. I'm not sure that October will be much different , even if they manage to ship a million consoles - MS has their biggest game of the year and sony has ... new hard ware. Expensive new hardware at that.

Then, November isn't much different, no exclusive big games for the PS4 but..expensive new hardware again ! Nah, in 2016 it seems you have to wait until December to get sony's first big exclusive release since May (when Uncharted 4 came out). So it's no wonder that MS is picking up the slack, certainly you could argue that Recore didnt' set the world on fire but Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 are MUCH bigger exclusive games , you could argue about how most third party games will look slightly better on PS4 (no longer much of an issue for most) or how they'll look a lot better on a pro OR even have exclusive VR modes but these things are all super expensive.

I can admit to some immense curiosity on how November will go Hardware unit sales wise (if we're talking $$$ made in revenue the pro combined with psvr will give sony that much handidly in october and november) because I've a theory that the more hardcore market WILL upgrade to the pro (existing ps4 owners) and that the bulk of the potential playstation market willing to pay 300$ for a new console are deciding to hold out and buy the 400$ model instead. Anyone that is refusing to pay 300$ for a new console has probably already bought or plans to buy an xbox one S.

2017 will be interesting because I think MS has now finished releasing all but one of their big releases (and truth be told , I'm worried about scalebound) and they plan to take much of 2017 off until the scorpio launches (that recent cuphead delay ? yeah that's going to be a scorpio launch title now). A new halo won't be ready until 2018 , Rare's pirate game didn't look anywhere near ready for primetime and crackdown seems trapped in development hell. That only leaves an expected Forza motorsport update which again- has scorpio launch title written all over it. I suppose they could do a Killer Instinct 4 to ring in the new console.

What' I'm getting at is that Sony actually looks to have a pretty stellar year in 2017 - Horizon Zero Dawn looks like a sure thing (although I expect it'll be delayed until April/May) , Gran Tourismo sport will probably be ready by fall and it's possible Days Gone will be the big winter release. Dad of War will likely come out March 2018 (at the earliest). That still leaves Spider-Man ... which I'd wager will come out somewhere between the theatrical release of Homecoming and the home release of Homecoming.

Either way, there are interesting times ahead.

3rdbass

Banned
Calls Gears and Forza more of the same, proceeds to list a bunch of sequels and remasters on PS4.

I have both UC4 and GeoW 4 and I can definitely say as far as SP Uncharted is way better. I fee like I'm still playing on an XBOX 360 as far as SP gameplay for Gears. Now Gears does have a great Horde mode. I will give it that.

That is the thing that most disappointed me with Uncharted was that there is no Co-op mode presently. Stupid oversight from Naughty dog. Neither game is perfect but I still prefer UC4 as it least the fighting was amped up even though ND didn't have enough of it in the SP.

I'm not saying Sony is this great company but I do prefer the games overall and they seem to be more diverse over many genres compared to Xbox.

3rdbass

Banned
I think Gran Turismo is great, Forza is received critically and commercially well and your evidence is heavily anecdotal, were probably not gonna agree.
Well that is why I mentioned sales numbers. Well let's just say in North America racing games don't have much appeal. I understand Europe is a different story.

Well that is why I mentioned sales numbers. Well let's just say in North America racing games don't have much appeal. I understand Europe is a different story.

What evidence do you have that FH3 hasn't sold well? Did MS release numbers? Are you just going on the anecdotal fact that you don't think any of your friends play racing games?

Also, if you're gonna double post you should at least apologize for it.

Rellik

No point adding Europe because Sony is dominating so much the "war" is pretty much done here, plus this is a NPD thread so we are discussing North America not Europe.

3rdbass

Banned
What evidence do you have that FH3 hasn't sold well? Did MS release numbers? Are you just going on the anecdotal fact that you don't think any of your friends play racing games?

Also, if you're gonna double post you should at least apologize for it.

Sorry for the double post as I'm having issues with this site .

I don't have any evidence of the most recent game but the last few haven't sold that well. I'm talking about the Forza series as I know Horizon and the regular are different types of games. Still even GT doesn't sell that well in the US either. Europe are the people who care about these games and GT seems to be their game of choice as far as racing ones go.

Well deserved. The price was so good in September I contributed 2 to the US numbers. I mean how can you pass up a game and a console for about $100 each?

I got blasted for saying this last time, but I will say it again: I want them all to do well because competition is great; it keeps everyone on their toes.

Grats, MS.

OCD Guy

Except sony releases games during the rest of the year and Microsoft basically throws all their games into sept-dec lol. Two different approaches yet some people always bring it up as a negative for sony when so many 3rd party games are released during the fall holiday period anyway.

The reason I asked that is because it's quite plausible that the recent exclusive releases on Xbox One might have also been the reason for higher sales.

Anyway it was a pointless question as all the exclusives on the Xbox are more of the same but he proceeds to list "more of the same" sequels and remasters on the PS4 as selling points.

There's no right or wrong in terms of what games someone prefers, Sony for me tend to have more variety in their exclusive games, but that's always generally been the case in my opinion.

But I ain't gonna lie there's no real exclusive on the PS4 that scratches the Forza Horizon itch for example.

Ultimately it goes back to my original point earlier on, where when Xbox sales are higher it's not because of it's own merits but because of Sony. In this case the only reason there have been more sales of Xbox ones is because everyone is waiting to purchase the PS4 Pro. It couldn't possibly be because some people want to play the exclusives because they're all "more of the same", it couldn't be because of the 4k blu ray player because "everyone streams movies" etc

This is good for the industry. Hopefully Sony realizes they have some comp this holiday season and go all out on PS4 pro bundles/deals. I hope xbox gets October too.

NOT ONE, NOT TWO, NOT THREE
And it'll be four what with Gears of War 4 launching in October and the Pro launching in November I see Xbox winning October as well. And I'm glad they are. I'm a Sony gamer more than anything and I was beginning to worry there were getting too comfortable resting on their laurels so it's always a good think to have a competitor lighting up dynamite up their asses.

Good for Microsoft. Keep competing.

3rdbass

Banned
Exactly. The back and forth drives both companies to do better and try harder.

Overall I do agree. I had no intention to buy an Xbox S but once I found there was going to be no 4K Blu-ray player in Sony's systems and I could get one for under $200 it was a no brainer for me to buy one.

Honestly this gen seems somewhat of a let down from previous generations as far as games for both Microsoft and Sony.

Granjinha

I fee like I'm still playing on an XBOX 360 as far as SP gameplay for Gears. Now Gears does have a great Horde mode. I will give it that.

Well that's just bullshit. GeoW 4 doesn't get the deserved credits for spicing up the formula without changing too much of the core gameplay. The level design, encounter design, pretty much everything (aside from the story which i'm enjoying but it's pretty simple) is phenomenal. Best game in the series. The changes they did (be it the new enemies or pulling people from cover) make it pretty different from the rest of the series.

Do you have numbers? Or are you making shit up? Both Forza and GT sell pretty well.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
A racing game that nobody plays. Overall still see PS4's better with all the releases they have over the year with Uncharted 4(great game), Ratchet and Clank, and Gravity Rush Remasterd. Also, it seems like some of the PSVR games are getting a good reception from Rez Infinite, UD: ROB, Battlezone, Rigs and Batman: AVR. Also, I'm psyched about The Last Guardian. Also, have Bloodbourne and Until Dawn in your lineup doesn't hurt. I just find more enjoyable of games for me.

You're wrong. I've had the PS4 since launch but I decided to jump in just to play FH3, the game is absolutely mind blowing.

huh1678

Banned
The reason I asked that is because it's quite plausible that the recent exclusive releases on Xbox One might have also been the reason for higher sales.

Anyway it was a pointless question as all the exclusives on the Xbox are more of the same but he proceeds to list "more of the same" sequels and remasters on the PS4 as selling points.

There's no right or wrong in terms of what games someone prefers, Sony for me tend to have more variety in their exclusive games, but that's always generally been the case in my opinion.

But I ain't gonna lie there's no real exclusive on the PS4 that scratches the Forza Horizon itch for example.

Ultimately it goes back to my original point earlier on, where when Xbox sales are higher it's not because of it's own merits but because of Sony. In this case the only reason there have been more sales of Xbox ones is because everyone is waiting to purchase the PS4 Pro. It couldn't possibly be because some people want to play the exclusives because they're all "more of the same", it couldn't be because of the 4k blu ray player because "everyone streams movies" etc

Price is the big pusher, from my observation its almost black Friday levels. And yes sony not having 4k blu-ray and the pro for sure are a factor as well as exclusive. All these factors are giving the Xbox a slight edge in sales so far.

I see a lot of posts talking about competition being good, but I'm just wondering, what does losing a couple of months actually cause a company to do? Would Sony actually care about this? I dunno I'm just a bit confused about how xbox doing better is good for playstation fans.

I got blasted for saying this last time, but I will say it again: I want them all to do well because competition is great; it keeps everyone on their toes.

Everyone doing well also means more investment in development, more jobs, more companies and people entering the industry, healthier retailers, etc etc. on top of the consumer benefits.

Everyone doing well is everyone doing well. One company with a dominant market position is only really good for that company.

But yeah, there are people who disagree. They're wrong, but being wrong is their right I guess.

I see a lot of posts talking about competition being good, but I'm just wondering, what does losing a couple of months actually cause a company to do? Would Sony actually care about this? I dunno I'm just a bit confused about how xbox doing better is good for playstation fans.

Deeper and more frequent price promotion for SW and HW is the most common and easily executed benefit.

Syrus

Banned

Competition breeds creativity.

Or if you dont care about console wars then its jut good that a system is selling well

Ok I'm also confused at the people saying that this spells the end of ps4 doing well or that it will eventually be our soldiers. How is that?

OCD Guy

Because as things stand Sony is almost getting complacent. While many will disagree the fact they're almost reliant on 3rd party games in the major holidays is really telling.

I doubt a few months alone will cause a massive change, but if it became more consistent then it certainly would.

Microsoft clearly changed their strategy when the backlash and dire sales performance figures came in, the same way Sony changed their strategy when the release of the PS3 was a disaster.

In a world with no competition there wouldn't be an incentive to improve as there would be no alternatives.

We saw how the momentum changed last gen between the 360 and the PS3, and while many keep throwing it out there how Sony are 20 million units ahead that isn't any reason to just sit back and relax.

2017 is certainly going to be interesting. Probably the best year of this gen for me with the release of Nintendo's hardware, Scorpio, the Pro in full swing....

jett

D-Member
We got a real race here.

At least in America. :p Things better heat up for Sony when the Pro comes out, because it seems people give zero fucks about the slim.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Everyone doing well also means more investment in development, more jobs, more companies and people entering the industry, healthier retailers, etc etc. on top of the consumer benefits.

Everyone doing well is everyone doing well. One company with a dominant market position is only really good for that company.

But yeah, there are people who disagree. They're wrong, but being wrong is their right I guess.
I think there was a post that these people were quoting on why if Xbox were to die off, it wouldn't be bad for us.

Jumeira

Banned

Your post is creative for reasons you cannot grasp but this bit...how can you say this with a straight face? LOL

Regarding the topic. Fantastic gain for Phil and his team. they've done wonders with the brand. PS Slim is a meager, unimpressive revision whereas the The Xbox S is a upgrade priced competitively, it fully deserves to sell more. MS will win Oct and probably Dec, they've generally always done well in Dec (US).

Funny to look back at those desperately trying to make out Scorpio killed XS. Up YoY.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why do people keep saying this?

Could it not be that a combination of price, exclusive games and uhd player made a purchase desirable.

Yeah I feel a bit the same.

I'm not 100% sure the Pro will cause a significant upswing in sales either. Given that I would have thought the target of the Pro is upgraders as opposed to new buyers.

Probably nothing since they're too busy high fiving each other over the PS4 Pro Preorders at Sony HQ.

OCD Guy

I'm not 100% sure the Pro will cause a significant upswing in sales either. Given that I would have thought the target of the Pro is upgraders as opposed to new buyers.

Exactly. I've got a feeling over the course of the next few months the slim is likely to sell more than Pros.

It's funny really how the tide changes, as on announcement of upgraded consoles the general opinion was it would send existing customers into uproar, cause confusion for consumers when deciding which console to purchase but now the upgraded hardware is suddenly going to be the most popular option.

The majority of consumers are price sensitive I'd say.

There's going to be a lot of owners upgrading. Those are still sales...

Top Bottom