• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox plans to exit gaming business if "off-console" Game Pass subscribers don't increase enough by 2027

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

Stafford

Unlike Microsoft, PlayStation and Nintendo are not destroying the gaming industry for "career moments."

From my perspective, because Microsoft is trying to destroy and corrupt the hobby I love the most, they can f off right away for all I care.

At the end of the day it's all business, that means all of them. Nobody is a good guy here, nobody is a saint. They all did anti competitive things, and anti consumer things. None of them give a shit about you, that's why I will never understand why shills do what they do, they don't even get a goddamn thing in return.

I have no doubts that if Sony had been able to, they would have acquired Zenimax, same goes for ABK. I don't believe at all Sony wants MS around, and vice versa. Let's not act that it's only MS doing this. Hell, when Xbox wasn't even a thing yet plenty games only came to PS1 and not to Dreamcast, I wonder why.

I don't see how anyone here is destroying our hobby, let alone corrupting it. Just get both systems, enjoy the best of both worlds. If I want to play Spidey, I need a PS, if I want to play Starfield, TES VI etc, I get an Xbox, or I use a PC, or I go the streaming route. They actually offer a lot of options.

Stafford

Well when your plan is to buy Nintendo, Valve, Bethesda , ABK and force Sony out of the industry ... 100 million subs seems like low balling

Such healthy competition.... we really need MS

Yeah it's not like Sony hasn't been doing some pretty shitty things right, with FF7R for example? Please. Forcing Sony out? You mean that one comment by Matt Booty? I doubt all of MS/Xbox has that mindset, or maybe they do, it's business. Don't doubt Jim Ryan would rather see Xbox gone.

The only difference I see here is that one company CAN afford it all, the other can't, had Sony been able to, they would have. Zenimax and ABK could have been acquired by Google or Amazon too, good luck seeing those games on Xbox or PS then. I would say Xbox buying them can be considered the "lesser evil".

Last edited:
Doesn't Xbox's departure from the high-end console market give Nintendo the opportunity to take its place by launching another high-end console?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah it's not like Sony hasn't been doing some pretty shitty things right, with FF7R for example? Please. Forcing Sony out? You mean that one comment by Matt Booty? I doubt all of MS/Xbox has that mindset, or maybe they do, it's business. Don't doubt Jim Ryan would rather see Xbox gone.
Sony isn't trying to buy Nintendo. Please stop with the false equivalences

Bernardougf

Gold Member
#sonytoo low effort with false equivalence isnt going to cut it budy.. try reee there you will get the support

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Doesn't Xbox's departure from the high-end console market give Nintendo the opportunity to take its place by launching another high-end console?
Nintendo is swimming in easy low effort money ... they struck the low-end high cost market gold and they will never jump out of this pool of petroleum unless they really need to

yamaci17

I agree broadly with this. The worry will be that if they see this behaviour they will start to do what some streaming services have done and stopped releasing complete content and make you wait week to week. I imagine people at MS are cooking up ways to deliver games episodically as we speak so they can stretch out the 'engagement'. I imagine people will then just wait for the game to have its final episode released and binge. Starfield has probably taught them that people will pay to be part of the day 1 conversation, but I suspect that % will decline over time as there is so much content coming out on so many platforms it is near on impossible to operate in that way.
and if they do that, I won't be, once again, a customer of them

as I'm completely soured from netflix / disney plus experience. I liked yearly big MCU movies. I hate these shows that goes on and on with no coherent story telling. just content spam from my perspective..

either way it is a lose lose for me (aside from the current wins I get, which I'm not that proud of. because I can see where all of this leads to)

Stafford

Sony isn't trying to buy Nintendo. Please stop with the false equivalences

Nothing false here at all. Phil is well aware he won't be buying Nintendo. A acquaintance of mine worked for a big company and had a planning role. And that's to write down any and all possibilities. But it's more like a pipe dream, it's spitballing.

And i would not be shocked at all if Sony docs were ever to leak like this that you'd see something similar. Speculation or plans, ideas to buy this and that company.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Seems like they're trying to do it anyways with the Switch 2 rumors being true.
People that really think that nintendo is going (or need) to sell high "endish" hardware at a lost or to at best break even are putting thenselfs for major disappointment ...

High end hardware is equal to lower (or none) hardware sale profits, higher cost for development and again lower profits ...

No fucking way Nint is doing this...

But its offtopic
. So.. moving on

Godot25

Banned
Yeah. I would not worry about that. Especially if they will have ABK :p

But it would be funny to see it happen. To let Sony be dominant in "high-end" console market. To see how they reaaaaaaly care about gamers with 700$ consoles and 100$ games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Stafford

This whole buying Nintendo thing...

It is clearly Phil saying '"would be nice but let's be real, this won't happen" to someone who asked the question. And the topic then became Zenimax, which obviously was way more likely.

Three

100M subs from console?

Absolutely no chance of even coming close. Lol
He doesn't say he wants 100M subs from consoles though. He says

"I can fairly safely say that if we do not make more progress than this off of console, we would exit the gaming business. If this were the outcome, we would -- I don't believe we'd still be in the business."

A majority of our customers are found off of our own hardware, I would hope by earlier than 2030..."

damidu

i guess santa nutella got tired of this industry village idiot’s daily spams and put down a deadline for results.

date makes sense, looks like they’re gonna have a big talk towards end of gen about the future of xbox business.

looking forward to those leaks

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I have no doubts that if Sony had been able to, they would have acquired Zenimax, same goes for ABK. I don't believe at all Sony wants MS around, and vice versa. Let's not act that it's only MS doing this. Hell, when Xbox wasn't even a thing yet plenty games only came to PS1 and not to Dreamcast, I wonder why.
It is literally just Microsoft doing this.

Or do you know of another company that just bought massive independent multiplatform publishers to make their games exclusive? Or perhaps another company that has planted proxies to buy shares of another console manufacturer?

If you have evidence of that, please share. Until then, yes, it is just Microsoft doing this shit.
I don't see how anyone here is destroying our hobby, let alone corrupting it. Just get both systems, enjoy the best of both worlds. If I want to play Spidey, I need a PS, if I want to play Starfield, TES VI etc, I get an Xbox, or I use a PC, or I go the streaming route. They actually offer a lot of options.
No offense, mate, but this is a ridiculous argument, i.e., just bend over, take it in, and enjoy it. If they limit your options, you just give them more money and play how they want you to play and where they want you to play.

That's not "offering a lot of options." They are literally canceling other versions and limiting your options. It is the OPPOSITE of offering more options.

Stafford

Initially I thought this was just Phil trying to be overly dramatic in the courtroom to get ABK, basically a victim role so to speak. But apparently these were internal emails too? That sure is concerning yeah.

2027, so games like TES VI should be well on its way to completion, as are many other games and they'd just pull the plug? I just don't see that happening. It IS insane how they are banking it all on a service. When it comes to studios it's a world of difference with the past, why don't they see how well games sell alongside GP, even if GP doesn't grow in huge numbers? Maybe they would do fine without Game Pass? But if they don't believe in that.....fuck.

What would happen to all these projects and studios? I can't imagine the studios being too happy now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The "off console" means "from console" in that sentence. Like saying we want to make money off of that. Off doesn't mean non here.

He uses off-console multiple times, but this is the quote where he's specifically talking about the 'light green and blue' lines and them being higher by FY27.

A majority of our customers are found off of our own hardware, I would hope by earlier than 2030. So, when you asked me if I agreed with this chart that the light green and blue depending on what colors you see there would have to be much larger much earlier. I would say by FY26, '27 that we should be in that position, or we'd have to make a different decision with the business.

Killjoy-NL

He doesn't say he wants 100M subs from consoles though. He says

"I can fairly safely say that if we do not make more progress than this off of console, we would exit the gaming business. If this were the outcome, we would -- I don't believe we'd still be in the business."

A majority of our customers are found off of our own hardware, I would hope by earlier than 2030..."
That's slightly better and makes more sense.

damidu

Initially I thought this was just Phil trying to be overly dramatic in the courtroom to get ABK, basically a victim role so to speak. But apparently these were internal emails too? That sure is concerning yeah.

2027, so games like TES VI should be well on its way to completion, as are many other games and they'd just pull the plug? I just don't see that happening. It IS insane how they are banking it all on a service. When it comes to studios it's a world of difference with the past, why don't they see how well games sell alongside GP, even if GP doesn't grow in huge numbers? Maybe they would do fine without Game Pass? But if they don't believe in that.....fuck.

What would happen to all these projects and studios? I can't imagine the studios being too happy now.
they don’t need to completely turn off the lights
all those games are pc releases foremost

Stafford

they don’t need to completely turn off the lights
all those games are pc releases foremost

OK, but if the scenario would come true that Xbox the console is done for, I would hope they become basically like SEGA and release on Sony and Nintendo platforms. I can't see myself going back to PC gaming. It's consoles for me, has been for many years.

I'd still really dislike it, because I absolutely prefer the Xbox console, but yeah. And there is no way they wouldn't release for the two biggest boys in the industry.

Last edited:

Xenon

Considering all the things that have leaked recently, that'd be a jubilant day for the overwhelming majority of gamers (120M Steam users + 125 million Nintendo users + 125 million PlayStation users).

The overwhelming majority of gamers don't really fantasize about other video game companies leaving the industry.

I agree broadly with this. The worry will be that if they see this behaviour they will start to do what some streaming services have done and stopped releasing complete content and make you wait week to week. I imagine people at MS are cooking up ways to deliver games episodically as we speak so they can stretch out the 'engagement'. I imagine people will then just wait for the game to have its final episode released and binge. Starfield has probably taught them that people will pay to be part of the day 1 conversation, but I suspect that % will decline over time as there is so much content coming out on so many platforms it is near on impossible to operate in that way.
Actually episodic games were already tried. And guess what? It didn't work.

Huge fall off (each episode gets less sales not everyone stuck around for 4 years) and gamers waiting for the complete bundle.
I myself just a month ago finally played through Telltale walking dead.

There seems to only be room for 3 main platform holders. I want MS gone for another to take it's place.
Hopefully one that won't push things like paying to play online, paying more for real release dates, streaming, subscriptions, changing franchises into GaaS, etc.

Xbox has pushed the worst aspects of gaming imo and the whole industry is worse for us because of it.

Last edited:

themonk

Neo Member
There's no way Microsoft's board allows Phil to spend $70b on top of whatever it costs to run Xbox only to throw it all away in 3 years. This is Microsoft trying to paint themselves in a more dire situation than they're in.

Again, this is all because Matt Booty can't manage their studios. Phil's response in that email about no first party games for 16 months and their next big one being Redfall (Which they all knew was shit) did not have the sense or urgency I would have expected for that situation. Which probably explains why they had no releases in 16 months.
Ummm… You do know ATT bought Time Warner entertainment and sold it 3 years later.

They need to exit now. Their main objective will be to buy up any studio who can give them an edge and eventually have ALL gaming streaming behind a paywall - where every single iota of option and operation is at tiered pricing.
Better "experience" of your streaming rigs "performance" in the cloud , early access, etc - any way they can charge on TOP of the monthly fee you will need to pay already to access games you purchased.

They have become a parasite on the industry, unable to become dominant by traditional methods (such as delivering decent games) , so they will instead look to lead by churning and burning up dev houses/studios and their dystopian service models.

DryvBy

The only difference I see here is that one company CAN afford it all, the other can't, had Sony been able to, they would have. Zenimax and ABK could have been acquired by Google or Amazon too, good luck seeing those games on Xbox or PS then. I would say Xbox buying them can be considered the "lesser evil".

Before you look at the splinter in the eye of another brand, take the plank out of the brand you support. You can't complain about Sony and FF7R while supporting MS. They current money hat tons of indies, they buy up brands to keep off of other companies permanently (not just a few months), and guess what? They have a long history of money hating AAA games off of other platforms for a few months.

So why even bring up money hating while you actively support it when some moron like Phil Spencer supports it? Maybe Square just didn't want to work with Xbox. There's seems to be a partnership with Sony and Square, not every company out there. Imagine trying to get the newest FF to run with parity on that pos Series S? Xbox brand is a joke because of their leadership.

The Xbox plan of renting forever and services from Xbox One where Don was to blame is now back with Phil. But Phil was the good guy? I called this then. Don was a scapegoat. Phil was involved then too.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
You guys will rejoice but really it will suck as no one else will step up. The days of getting in the industry as a platform holder are over. It will only fast track apple and google.
If Microsoft manages to completely eclipse it's hardware with cloud services, you better believe they won't be the only ones heading that way.

jm89

Folks thought some of us were trolling with MS leaving gaming if abk didn't go through.

Now it makes sense why they fought like their life depended on it.

The writing was on the wall really,

Strike 1: phil proposed gamepass to satya to save xbox. Wasn't enough on it's own

Strike 2: In the FTC court case we found out phil was considering moving wholly to mobile at some point in the past.

Strike 3: It's joever

But of course this could all could be the weak guy act for the regulators.

Last edited:
Top Bottom