• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think gpu will be that major upgrade over the Pro specs. I mean, it has more TF but I don't expect neither a massive improvement in the big scheme of the things.
The bandwidth indeed should help to push more effects with checkerboard. But of course I hope the native 4k will not to be favourite, because we can say goodbye to the better graphic setting on it.

They need to back up their claims though.

ScorpioChip-200.jpg

Caayn

I don't think gpu will be that major upgrade over the Pro specs. I mean, it has more TF but I don't expect neither a massive improvement in the big scheme of the numbers.
The bandwidth indeed should help to push more effects with checkerboard. But of course I hope the native 4k will not to be favourite, because we can say goodbye to the better graphic setting on it.
Increase in bandwidth, and hopefully also in ROPS for Scorpio, can greatly help with pushing more pixels without impacting performance much.

PS4 Pro didn't improve much over the base PS4 on the bandwidth front and didn't increase the ROPS count at all despite trying to aim for higher resolutions.

MilkyJoe

I don't think gpu will be that major upgrade over the Pro specs. I mean, it has more TF but I don't expect neither a massive improvement in the big scheme of the numbers.

I hope so too, my TV is nowhere near needing replacing.

A legitimate Vega GPU would indeed be a major upgrade over what's in the Pro. Would we see these massive differences visually that puts something as capable as what's in PS4 Pro to shame? Doubt it. But at the very least the performance advantage that will be there will be a real, not very artificial one. But then we all know superior specs alone doesn't always translate to more impressive looking games. Far too many factors. Any developer with the right vision can make all the difference in the world.

I'm excited about the spec part of the equation, but I'm more excited about what else besides that Microsoft may have up their sleeves in terms of features and potential new games.

gaming_noob

Phil Spencer basically confirmed this on podcast beyond or whatever that IGN show is called. He said he wants to have just games at E3 and doesn't want E3 to be a scorpio event.

My theory is Spencer is planning rehearsing the reveal now. He hasn't replied to any tweets since March 7 and have only retweeted marketing material. Maybe he's on vacation but with someone so active on twitter and with such an important release coming up I'd imagine he'd hold back on taking a vacation.

gaming_noob

Can't believe how quiet the leaks have been for this thing, especially post-GDC.

For real. Not even a comment from any dev hinting about MS NDA. It's as if the HW doesn't exist. Or maybe No one cares about the new HW enough to want to leak anything.

Alx

Panay's hardware division is apparently famous for its secrecy. Nobody heard even a hint of the Surface Book before it was revealed on stage.

gamz

Panay's hardware division is apparently famous for its secrecy. Nobody heard even a hint of the Surface Book before it was revealed on stage.

This is true. Studio was kinda a surprise we saw a few hints here and there but nobody expected the direction they took.

Chobel

I want to give our games more time on stage at E3, I sometimes feel like we rush telling the story of our games at E3.

What does he mean by this?

------
And the where the fuck are the leaks?

The big difference here is that Surface team doesn't have to work with many external parties.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

------
My guess would be on-stage gameplay demos instead of just trailers.

As far as leaks I'm really not expecting anything till maybe a week or so before E3..if that. MS ship is super tight right now.

Caayn

For real. Not even a comment from any dev hinting about MS NDA. It's as if the HW doesn't exist. Or maybe No one cares about the new HW enough to want to leak anything.
Or no one in the know wants to burn their fingers trying to grab steak.

The closer you get to release the more people will get details about the project and thus the more people are willing to leak information. The people who're the first to get information are most likely also the people who're better at keeping their mouth shut.
True. But keeping the lid closed on a project that can almost be fully done internally is different from a project that relies on external people (such as game developers).

------

Either: Scorpio will be revealed at a separate event so they can focus on games @ E3.
Or: MS will pad out E3 by talking for ages about one game, because they don't have any other games to show (based on the other threads on gaf today).

AmyS

I can't wait for Eurogamer to (hopefully) provide some really significant leaked details on Scorpio hardware at some point in the coming weeks, well before E3.

Their sources that got us the Switch details back in July turned out to be very accurate.

Chobel

My guess would be on-stage gameplay demos instead of just trailers.

As far as leaks I'm really not expecting anything till maybe a week or so before E3..if that. MS ship is super tight right now.

I'm sure they've done that, multiple times in their previous E3 conferences.

EDIT: And of course MS is super tight, but almost always leaks come from 3rd party devs. Now, why are these guys super tight this time?

Lady Gaia

Or: MS will pad out E3 by talking for ages about one game, because they don't have any other games to show (based on the other threads on gaf today).

There will still be multiple games, but it does seem to suggest that announcements will be thin enough that they'll be drawn out more than usual. That makes sense given the reported focus in near-term releases. It doesn't mean it isn't risky if your competition has a full slate on display.

Chobel

And?

I'm just telling you what I think will actually happen.

Your post is almost exactly what MS has been doing in the last few years but Phil Spencer tweet suggests they're gonna change the format of how they showcase their games.

There will still be multiple games, but it does seem to suggest that announcements will be thin enough that they'll be drawn out more than usual. That makes sense given the reported focus in near-term releases. It doesn't mean it isn't risky if your competition has a full slate on display.

Eh, I doubt it. The tweet doesn't sound like preemptive damage control, and why damage control from now?

Ushay

I'm pretty sure they will not be calling this Scorpio.

Also MS ha e this shit under lock down, doubt we will get any leaks before MS decide to reveal it.

I also think they may separate the hardware events from E3. That is assuming they have deals and exclusives in the pipeline.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Your post is almost exactly what MS has been doing in the last few years but Phil Spencer tweet suggests they're gonna change the format of how they showcase their games.
Uhh..What else could it mean besides live gameplay demos? What are they gonna spend one hour per game talking about game lore and dev credentials? I'm just being realistic.

------

He means that there will probably be some 15-20 minute demos in their conference. It will probably take at least 20 minutes to explain the systems present in State of Decay 2.

I would guess it also means that they will show fewer games during each press conference which lines up with what he said during his recent IGN interview basically saying that he was going to hold off on announcing games until they are further along to avoid another Scalebound/Fable Legends/Phantom Dust Reboot situation.

Can't believe how quiet the leaks have been for this thing, especially post-GDC.
But one of the advantages of Scorpio--ease of use for the higher power, because of streamlined SDK--makes it less notable for developers. They're able to simply dial up settings on current projects. That's good news, but it's not like they're working on games for a new platform, or utterly unprecedented hardware features. What's there to be so excited about that you just have to blab and break NDA?

Fortunately for Microsoft, Sony will probably have a reduced slate of new games this year too. Multiple big projects from the last few years should be nearing release, so they'll need to revisit those. This will leave less time for new announcements (not to mention that most of Sony's studios and close partners are currently engaged).

Nintendo could surprise everyone with a big lineup of third-party Switch announcements, I think. But I don't know how much impact that'd have on the Xbox audience.

Someone confirm the Jaguar, put them all out of their misery!

TBF though I think MS should do it themselves if that is indeed what it has. Otherwise half the conversation on announce day will be about the gimpy CPU. Deal with it now so it blows over and then they can more easily push the positives.

We don't need another video or write up where the technical fellows are having to do damage control about balance!

Colbert

Banned
Someone confirm the Jaguar, put them all out of their misery!

TBF though I think MS should do it themselves if that is indeed what it has. Otherwise half the conversation on announce day will be about the gimpy CPU. Deal with it now so it blows over and then they can more easily push the positives.

We don't need another video or write up where the technical fellows are having to do damage control about balance!
The same damage control all the Sony technical fellows had to do
NOT
?

The same damage control all the Sony technical fellows had to do
NOT
?

Yeah but the PSPro was half arsed from the get go, the Ori dev confirmed it. But seriously it wasn't ever much more than a fairly modest upgrade.

But MS have been touting the Scorpio as being a beast and a monster. That will quickly backfire when they get pulled up about the Commodore 64 CPU it has. Unless of course it ain't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom