• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, people buy these games.

I sure as hell well. Imagine if they could perhaps bring Ni No Kuni 2 to Xbox. It remains to be seen because the developer hasn't always been on great terms with MS. But maybe Nier Automata, even though the developer did kind of say no to that as well. We'll have to wait and see.

Hawk269

I think everybody who thought this wasn't going to be a monster is in for a serious surprise.

I am leaning more on the side that it will be a monster of a machine versus a sub-par upgrade that does almost exactly what the PRO does. I have a PRO and I do prefer it easily over the PS4, but I really am hoping Scorpio is a true upgrade and it delivers high IQ gaming. Will this happen, I don't know..I want it to happen and I hope it does, but until we get concrete info we just don't know...but I am leaning that it will be a beast/monster and have a price that justifies the tech in it. (EXPENSIVE)

THE:MILKMAN

I think everybody who thought this wasn't going to be a monster is in for a serious surprise.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

blakep267

What does he mean by this?

------
And the where the fuck are the leaks?

The big difference here is that Surface team doesn't have to work with many external parties.
Maybe he means less sizzle trailers. State of decay and Crackdown are going to need actual long demos and not just quick things. If you look at last year, Recore, DR4, SoD2 and Sea of thieves to an extent really weren't in depth demos

Lemondish

A legitimate Vega GPU would indeed be a major upgrade over what's in the Pro. Would we see these massive differences visually that puts something as capable as what's in PS4 Pro to shame? Doubt it. But at the very least the performance advantage that will be there will be a real, not very artificial one. But then we all know superior specs alone doesn't always translate to more impressive looking games. Far too many factors. Any developer with the right vision can make all the difference in the world.

I'm excited about the spec part of the equation, but I'm more excited about what else besides that Microsoft may have up their sleeves in terms of features and potential new games.

The last three words of your post are what I am hoping for. New games. Because there's nothing left now and I don't see the point of an upgrade if there won't be anything worth playing.

AmyS

I'm waiting on a proper Eurogamer leak / report / article, or whatever, before getting hyped or deflated with disappointment.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Given how the xbone was weaker than the ps4 and scorpio aims to be significantly more powerful than the ps4 pro, this seems like a generational leap to me.
Of course, MS is going to have to do something about their gaming content situation though. Specifically, they have got to figure out a way to get japanese developers interested (at least, if they want me to consider a purchase).

djnewwest

Banned
Given how the xbone was weaker than the ps4 and scorpio aims to be significantly more powerful than the ps4 pro, this seems like a generational leap to me.
Of course, MS is going to have to do something about their gaming content situation though. Specifically, they have got to figure out a way to get japanese developers interested (at least, if they want me to consider a purchase).

From Phil regarding Japanese devs and games:

https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/844689200934928384

Not interested unless games are 60 fps. Really hope its the case, I'm getting tired of pc tinkering.

Some will be, some won't be. This is how it's always been and always will be.

Seriously, every gen people hope 60fps will be "standard" but it never is.

If you want 60fps in most games, PC is your only option really. The only way that's going to change is if there's a serious change towards offering multiple graphical settings for console titles (and this is happening to a certain extent with PS4 Pro).

FingerBang

It's going to be a beast, it's going to be much more powerful than a PS4 Pro, but I doubt it will be a generational leap. Also, remember the leap between PS3 and PS4 being smaller than then one between PS2 and PS3 (which was smaller than PSX to PS2 and 16bit to 32bit)? This is gonna be smaller than that.

If you think that the difference between OG PS4 and Xbox One isn't that big (with PS4 being roughly 40% faster), it's going to be pretty much the same situation between the two. Scorpio is going to aim for higher resolutions, but it doesn't have the power to do Horizon/UC4 in native 4K. Of course the use of checkerboard 2160p would allow to make games with better IQ, but are developers going to bother?

The CPU is what could make things different and give gamers 60fps versions of games that are 30fps on the Pro, but that sounds unlikely...

jaypah

It's going to be a beast, it's going to be much more powerful than a PS4 Pro, but I doubt it will be a generational leap. Also, remember the leap between PS3 and PS4 being smaller than then one between PS2 and PS3 (which was smaller than PSX to PS2 and 16bit to 32bit)? This is gonna be smaller than that.

If you think that the difference between OG PS4 and Xbox One isn't that big (with PS4 being roughly 40% faster), it's going to be pretty much the same situation between the two. Scorpio is going to aim for higher resolutions, but it doesn't have the power to do Horizon/UC4 in native 4K. Of course the use of checkerboard 2160p would allow to make games with better IQ, but are developers going to bother?

The CPU is what could make things different and give gamers 60fps versions of games that are 30fps on the Pro, but that sounds unlikely...

Well a lot of people thought the difference between PS4 and XB1 was significant. Threads about the power difference (on paper and the legit face-offs) were very popular. Of course this is different, being that resolutions get higher and the impact gets smaller. Or at least I've seen that getting thrown around. Some believe that the power difference will be smaller in realworld scenarios. Some think that the difference will be noticable. Some think that if devs use the power to checkerboard and increase the graphics elsewhere then it's "MS lied! What about TRUE 4k?!".I guess it depends on what side of the fence you're on, but I will say it's interesting seeing who hypes it and who downplays it.

Lady Gaia

I don't think there's any serious debate about whether Scorpio will be a solid piece of hardware that exceeds the PS4 Pro handily in many ways. The real question is whether it's enough to change the value proposition from the market's perspective. It's startlingly similar to the PS2 / Original Xbox situation in some ways but in others it's a very different story. Xbox is an established brand now, and arguably the strategy of trying to avoid the hard restart at the beginning of a console generation is intriguing.

Software is definitely the big open question, one that can't be ignored as a critical component for changing Microsoft's fortunes. We'll likely get our first peek at what the initial holiday season looks like at E3.

rokkerkory

I don't think there's any serious debate about whether Scorpio will be a solid piece of hardware that exceeds the PS4 Pro handily in many ways. The real question is whether it's enough to change the value proposition from the market's perspective. It's startlingly similar to the PS2 / Original Xbox situation in some ways but in others it's a very different story. Xbox is an established brand now, and arguably the strategy of trying to avoid the hard restart at the beginning of a console generation is intriguing.

Software is definitely the big open question, one that can't be ignored as a critical component for changing Microsoft's fortunes. We'll likely get our first peek at what the initial holiday season looks like at E3.

Scorpio isn't meant to change mind of mainstream however. Value proposition for them is whoever has cheapest console price. MS can change that value prop by lowering the S sku by at least $50 vs PS Slim.

I know what people think about Spencer tweets, but he said yesterday that the Xbox team will be focusing on first party development. The same focus they put into rebuilding XBL and OS.

They have done a lot of good work to the console, and I'd like to see that same work on first party. They really could have started the first party focus earlier, but it's good to hear.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So, how is this thing going to compare to a 1070

I'd say it'll be close to a downclocked 1070. Definitely weaker than stock. Scorpio is 6TF. Stock 1070 is 6.5TF. my overclocked 1070 is 7.3TF.

A 1070 peforms well at 4k 30fps but depends also what CPU they go with. Might need to rely on similar techniques that the PS4 pro uses to get to 4K.

jaypah

Sony is a worldwide brand. The PS4 was priced cheaper, was more powerful and was more appealing as a brand worldwide. MS came into this gen being none of those things. What should have happened was MS looking at how Sony mounted a comeback (worldwide appeal aside) with the PS3 by fostering a very solid stable of 1st (and 2nd, I guess) Party devs.

MS doubled down on Kinect and Sony doubled down on exclusives and variety. Kinect was short lived and Sony is on fire in the games department. If MS would have watched their main competition and dropped money on games rather than literally everything else they would have had a decent stable of 1st party games to compete with while getting ready to launch the most powerful console ever with games to go with it. As it stands we're left saying, "ok, the console will be powerful, but what are we going to play on it?". They rolled the dice and crapped out so now they have to assure people that there are games coming. The Kinect money could have been games. The TV money could have been games. The NFL shit could have been games. I like a healthy market but only when it's earned. I WANT to see them do well but by actually being good! I hope they have some tricks for E3.

Hexer06

I'm guessing since nothing leaked from GDC, things really aren't gonna come out til the Scorpio event, huh? Ah well... More waiting I guess.

scorpio_media_018kz6q.png

Quick photoshop, haha...reminds me of a gaming logo on a pre-built gaming PC.

....which I guess is basically what Scorpio will be.
Looks awesome to me :D. I also agree about it looking like a pre-built gaming pc logo too tho, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom