• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Reveal Thread: Durango Unchained

The most popular electronics today are prime examples of convergence and are riddled with compromises vs. other product categories.

infiniteheteroskdasticity said:
Core gamers will find the PS4 superior, the TV features you can get with a much cheaper Roku box or Apple TV that you can upgrade every year, Samsung smart TVs already come with the gesture based control schemes and tablets from Apple etc are better fits for casual gamers.

Roku and Apple TV are also-rans vs. a gaming console, Samsung Smart TV, or connected Blu-ray player for streaming.

Xenon

So I was watching the hands on after the reveal. Geoff asked Don if we were going to see Black Tusk's new game at E3. He said something about it being up to Phil and that Spencer doesn't want to overload people with too many games...

M4ib6TL.gif

edit: doh!

So I was watching the hands on after the reveal. Geoff asked Don if we were going to see Black Tusk's new game at E3. He said something about it being up to Phil and that Harrison doesn't want to overload people with too many games...

http://imgur.com/M4ib6TL.gif[/img[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's Spencer not Harrison,either Don said the wrong name or typo form article
The fact that Harrison in charge Europe and Black Tusk is from Canada,plus Spencer in charge all MS studios

WoW, I watched people cumming on themselves before the event, now I see them bashing and complete hatred. All from 1 hour and some words. Fuck the internet.

Appears to me like a couple of the things causing the most angst with the Xbox One reveal were in fact “necessary evils” in order to provide other features that people didn't want to go without.

People (certainly me) wanted to install games and play without the disk. People want the benefits of a physical copy (no big download, can re-install from your physical media even if it was no longer available for download, can get cheap games at retailer sales, get to own a nice box/cover), with the DD perks (instant access to all your games with no disk changing).

Xbox One has seemingly provided that, but I can't see any way they could have done so and still let us lend games to our friends. They obviously couldn't allow the scenario where friend A and friend B go halves on a game, friend A keeps the disk to play off and friend B installs and ties it to his profile to play without the disk. Essentially every sale would provide two copies of the game. Would I rather be able to buy physical and yet play all my games as though they were digital only, or be able to lend my games to my friends? For me it's worth the trade-off.

And really, the world is heading that way anyway. Can I lend smartphone apps to my friend? PSN/XBLA/Games on Demand games? Steam games? DLC? No. I don't see it as a big issue. I can play my games, online or offline (for a time?) on my console, as can anyone else who uses that console, and I can play my games anywhere else as long as I sign in. Seems reasonable, and lots of other platforms are doing it.

Regarding used games, given the way games are tied to accounts, Microsoft could easily have said "fuck it, no used games" and blocked them entirely. But, all signs indicate they are providing a way to deactivate games and resell them, and allowing us to buy and play used games, which most of us wanted. Guess what? That's reason for the "always online" the internet is so upset about. Sure, it would be nice if we could play our games offline on the console they were purchased on indefinitely, and that may have been the case, but we would have to have accepted a complete block on used games. You expect Microsoft to let people go offline, then sell their whole collection but continue to play it indefinitely?

Lending our games to friends or playing without disks (physical with the perks of DD)?

Complete used game lockout or occasional authorization checks?

We can't have it both ways, and I feel Microsoft has picked the better option in both cases. The negative reaction is way overblown. If they didn’t do these things people would likely be even more upset with the other outcome. Of far greater concern is that Microsoft seems to have positioned gaming as a minor focus of the system, and that it looks like it might be significantly under-powered compared with PS4. But that's another story.

You know, I have to say, that's pretty much how I look at it as well. I feel the initial negative feedback is largely because it's being compared (naturally) to how home gaming consoles have worked, historically. Microsoft really does seem to be making a conscious effort here to stay ahead of the curve, specifically in terms of the whole user model evolving ever more towards being predominantly online and all digital (taking cues from the success of iOS, Steam, etc.).

I genuinely want those things that we get from the trade-off conundrums you mentioned. If Sony can find a way to give me those things without the tradeoffs, then that is something I'll personally be very interested in.

It's a bold move, and a big gamble, and hopefully for their sake their timing is right. They do have a large enough user base now that if they can take enough people, many of them kicking and screaming all the way, into their next system it can turn out well.

statham

Appears to me like a couple of the things causing the most angst with the Xbox One reveal were in fact “necessary evils” in order to provide other features that people didn't want to go without.

People (certainly me) wanted to install games and play without the disk. People want the benefits of a physical copy (no big download, can re-install from your physical media even if it was no longer available for download, can get cheap games at retailer sales, get to own a nice box/cover), with the DD perks (instant access to all your games with no disk changing).

Xbox One has seemingly provided that, but I can't see any way they could have done so and still let us lend games to our friends. They obviously couldn't allow the scenario where friend A and friend B go halves on a game, friend A keeps the disk to play off and friend B installs and ties it to his profile to play without the disk. Essentially every sale would provide two copies of the game. Would I rather be able to buy physical and yet play all my games as though they were digital only, or be able to lend my games to my friends? For me it's worth the trade-off.

And really, the world is heading that way anyway. Can I lend smartphone apps to my friend? PSN/XBLA/Games on Demand games? Steam games? DLC? No. I don't see it as a big issue. I can play my games, online or offline (for a time?) on my console, as can anyone else who uses that console, and I can play my games anywhere else as long as I sign in. Seems reasonable, and lots of other platforms are doing it.

Regarding used games, given the way games are tied to accounts, Microsoft could easily have said "fuck it, no used games" and blocked them entirely. But, all signs indicate they are providing a way to deactivate games and resell them, and allowing us to buy and play used games, which most of us wanted. Guess what? That's reason for the "always online" the internet is so upset about. Sure, it would be nice if we could play our games offline on the console they were purchased on indefinitely, and that may have been the case, but we would have to have accepted a complete block on used games. You expect Microsoft to let people go offline, then sell their whole collection but continue to play it indefinitely?

Lending our games to friends or playing without disks (physical with the perks of DD)?

We can't have it both ways, and I feel Microsoft has picked the better option in both cases. The negative reaction is way overblown. If they didn’t do these things people would likely be even more upset with the other outcome. Of far greater concern is that Microsoft seems to have positioned gaming as a minor focus of the system, and that it looks like it might be significantly under-powered compared with PS4. But that's another story.
This is a great post.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
I guess I got a slightly different experience. My original PS1 was certainly better than the smaller one and same goes for the normal PS2. Perhaps all of them were PAL had something to do with it.

All of this made me laugh. It really is all true especially the way Sony was about the Super Slim. Though I don't think the original is all that ugly.

You really think that they will drop the ball with the PS4 though? I am hoping not, but who knows. The Xbox One is on the weaker side of things yet it is not small (But then, MS designed it and not Sony).

Maybe they did make the PAL systems better, who knows.

I'm hoping they don't drop the ball with the PS4 design, just given Sony's recent trends, I won't be surprised if it's crap. Especially with Sony's current financial situation. If it turns out decent, I'll be getting either a launch, or a first internal update in case of bugs. But full hardware redesigns, if the Super Slim is anything to go by, I don't hold much faith in them repeating what they achieved with PSOne/Two.

With the Xbox, I think the design is fine. I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be that big, especially with AMD's SoC not being terribly thermally demanding. But I think MS did it for a couple of reasons.

First, they're making damn sure they don't repeat what happened with the 360 launch. Mine burned out, but luckily I won that system before launch during that Doritos contest. So I just went straight to the Slim. Second, they're going for full on media center integration, so I think they wanted it to look less like a game console and more like a piece of electronics that would integrate better with your other audio/video electronics. Just my guess, but it does look more simplistic, less intrusive, less like a flashy toy.

coldfoot

Banned
We can't have it both ways, and I feel Microsoft has picked the better option in both cases
No they have not.
What's wrong with the disc version requiring the disc to be inserted but only for validation like the current 360 does, and if you really don't like having discs, you can get the DD version that will also be released on day one, or you can even preload like Steam?

There was nothing wrong with the current system, the only improvement would be Day 1 digital with preloading instead of replacing discs with online codes as the authentication mechanism. MS surely did not do this to be consumer friendly, they did it to get a cut of second hand sales. I hope it will bite them in the ass in the long run.

At first I was impressed by the Xbox One, with its integrated TV and internet features. Then I realized none of it was live or an actual demo and the guy was just miming to a prerecorded video. Now I'm skeptical. If they can actually pull off all that stuff they demonstrated it will be pretty cool.

The big question mark is the games though. The Xbox One has somewhat weaker specs than the PS4 (maybe like comparing the PS3 to the 360?) but all of the games they showed looked mediocre at best. As a gamer I am worried that Sony is going for the gamer demographic but Microsoft is going for the "everyone" demographic. Though to be honest none of the games for the PS4 were really that impressive either. Hopefully E3 will clarify the situation with games for the 360. What will they do with all that power and the new Kinect? The EA games and the new CoD are just the same old stuff but with slightly better graphics.

I think the most interesting aspect is which of the two strategies will win? Going for gamers only or trying to make the console the be-all-do-all device for the living room?

clav

No they have not.
What's wrong with the disc version requiring the disc to be inserted but only for validation like the current 360 does, and if you really don't like having discs, you can get the DD version that will also be released on day one, or you can even preload like Steam?

There was nothing wrong with the current system, the only improvement would be Day 1 digital with preloading instead of replacing discs with online codes as the authentication mechanism. MS surely did not do this to be consumer friendly, they did it to get a cut of second hand sales. I hope it will bite them in the ass in the long run.

Worn out disk drives.

No they have not.

It could be seen as a breakdown in the UI goals - fast-starting, fast-switching apps and games- if users have to be interrupted by a request to retrieve and insert a disc. Traditionally, gamers wouldn't have a problem with that, but that's the issue, if their specific goals are that they don't want that type of thing to be a part of a person's experience with the box. Yes, it could be optional, but then they have the problem of "training' the average consumer that this is the trade-off they are making when presented with the option.

Sorral

Maybe they did make the PAL systems better, who knows.

I'm hoping they don't drop the ball with the PS4 design, just given Sony's recent trends, I won't be surprised if it's crap. Especially with Sony's current financial situation. If it turns out decent, I'll be getting either a launch, or a first internal update in case of bugs. But full hardware redesigns, if the Super Slim is anything to go by, I don't hold much faith in them repeating what they achieved with PSOne/Two.

With the Xbox, I think the design is fine. I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be that big, especially with AMD's SoC not being terribly thermally demanding. But I think MS did it for a couple of reasons.

First, they're making damn sure they don't repeat what happened with the 360 launch. Mine burned out, but luckily I won that system before launch during that Doritos contest. So I just went straight to the Slim. Second, they're going for full on media center integration, so I think they wanted it to look less like a game console and more like a piece of electronics that would integrate better with your other audio/video electronics. Just my guess, but it does look more simplistic, less intrusive, less like a flashy toy.

They have been making good designs as of late such as the Xperia Z line, some of their blu-ray players and some the top-line vaios(The Vita is great too imo). So I am not too worried, but who knows as they just gave the go-ahead on the Super Slim.

As for Xbox One: You're likely spot on with the emboldened parts and I got nothing more to say other than that there was a rumor of them having heat issues and trying to make it cooler, so they must have wanted to be on the safe side which is rather a good thing.

This is a great analysis. I want all those DD-like features as well, but if MS wants to be compared favorably to something like Steam they're going to have to loosen their grip big time, and start offering more to their consumer base.

A 24 hour phone-home window is too short. Mandatory Kinect is creepy and possibly unworkable for some depending on whether the thing has to be turned on or calibrated. The Gold subscription fee still exists so we can expect everything worthwhile to be hidden behind that paywall. No backwards compatibility. And we have no reason to expect Steam-like sales on a closed platform. Hell, the concept of free content and regular updates has been anathema for MS this gen.

Make this thing a lot closer to Steam and you'd see a lot of positivity instead of torches and pitchforks.

ekim

Nice summary of what the doomsayers seem to miss. And Sony will probably go the same route. (They also install games on the PS4 mandatorily - so it MUST also have this kind of activation license thing)

Mascot

At first I was impressed by the Xbox One, with its integrated TV and internet features. Then I realized none of it was live or an actual demo and the guy was just miming to a prerecorded video. Now I'm skeptical. If they can actually pull off all that stuff they demonstrated it will be pretty cool.

Is this true?

SpartanN92

Banned
My thoughts on the press event.

*I don't have cable so the cable stuff was 20 minutes of useless fluff. It's 2013 I just use netflix and hulu. If I had cable it would be a cool feature. I see Pros and Cons here.

*Kinect 2.0 actually does look like stunning tech, but I do understand everybody's privacy concerns. I see Pros and Cons here.

*Specs: Mid range as expected. Definitely lesser than PS4 but much better than Wii U. The 3 operating systems was a cool idea but requiring 3 of the 8gbs of RAM seems excessive. I hope it delivers. I see Pros and Cons.

*The whole preowned games issue is still unresolved and they haven't talked enough about it yet. I only buy new games for the most part (Unless it is an old title no longer sold new) I like the idea of never having to swap discs. I see Pros and Cons here.

*Of all the games shown the majority of them were Sports games. Fuck sports games. Remedy's title has potential I guess but so little was shown I can't speak to it. CoD looked ok, it's More CoD but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Spencer said 15 games and 8 new IPs...I'm listening...How many of those are Arcade games/Kinect titles. I'm cautiously optimistic about that. I see Pros and Cons here.

*Halo TV show by Steven Spielberg. Ok. Halo is my favorite game series and I have been dying for a television/movie adaptation beyond FUD. However the Steven Spielberg stuff is just fluff. He is an executive producer (A check signer. Nothing more.) He is not directing so that is disappointing. I see Pros and Cons here.

*The forced online component. 300,000 servers. MS is taking XBL quality to new heights. That news was remarkable. Skype is great. All the new cloud features sound amazing. That all said, I live in rural Kentucky. Internet here isn't that great. It's rare but I have had times where the Internet goes out for a couple of days at a time do to weather or other problems (This happens about once or twice per year). That all said they said that you only have to connect online once every 24 hours. Not a deal breaker but irritating. I see Pros and Cons here.

*Only a 500gb HDD however it is expandable via portable HDDs. The main HDD cannot be removed. Hypothetically speaking your xbox breaks you will lose all the content on your drive unless you copied to the external drive. I guess that is why we have the cloud storage but that is a gamble. I see Pros and Cons here.

Overall I'd say that there are LOTS of Pros and LOTS of Cons regarding today's announcement. MS should be embarrassed at how they presented today, but I also said the same thing about Sony when they showed off the PS3 and see how they turned themselves around.

I will be in attendance at E3, so I will have more to say after some first hand experience with it. That said, they had better deliver come E3. GAMES. GAMES. GAMES. Lots of new IPs are a must, a strong Halo title to demonstrate the systems power (Killzone looked great at the Sony presser only running on 4gb RAM. So Halo on a solid 5gb should look great.) A new Gears would do nicely. Forza looks stunning. NEW IPs!!!

coldfoot

Banned
It could be seen as a breakdown in the UI goals - fast-starting, fast-switching apps and games- if users have to be interrupted by a request to retrieve and insert a disc. Traditionally, gamers wouldn't have a problem with that, but that's the issue, if their specific goals are that they don't want that type of thing to be a part of a person's experience with the box.
1. Gamers who don't want to be interrupted by inserting a disc would have bought the DD version already.
2. Common sense dictates that gamers would have a far greater problem with not being able to trade in their discs and/or the always online requirement, having to enter a serial code than inserting a disc.

Yes, you mentioned the fact that E3 is just a few weeks away. It doesn't excuse the fact that the thing that will make people decide to purchase this over much cheaper Roku-like boxes is games. And that these games were hardly mentioned at the conference. And you called people who expected a games console reveal to focus on games "stupid."

Nice try.

That's correct as I ALSO stated in my post that the games, or rather, exclusives are what matter in deciding what console to get. Why does that inherently mean they need to be present at the initial console reveal? E3 is still months before anyone can make a purchase and thus everyone will still have plenty of time to make a decision for which system they will spend their money on. There are absolutely zero reasons why games needed to be shown at this conference. People here are throwing a fit because they want an early sneak peek and don't care about the other features or services but guess what? plenty of people do and let's not pretend if MS shows several games at E3 that gamers want, that they will ever think about how nothing was shown at this conference. With a 20 day difference between the two conferences, MS split the Xbox One into two portions, hardware and software and frankly, that's a smart way to do it.

It was mean spirited to say if you believed that you were naive and stupid and for that portion I apologize, but I stand by the point that statement made. It's very very foolish to think they would showcase a bunch of games at the console reveal with E3 right around the corner.

Unity2012

Sony still has to show us the console design, their OS and revamped online.

Exactly. Just because Sony showed more game trailers the day of the PS4 announcement, it does not mean they don't plan to follow MS new direction when it comes to business policies.

We are also forgetting that some of those policies follow developers & publishers demands/ expectations as they enter a new generation and not solely MS or Sony ideas.

E3 will be very interesting.

Alx

I'm watching the reveal again, and I just realized I overlooked the port on the left size of the console. What is it for ? It looks like it's meant to have something big plugged in, and it's not the power brick since there's a power connector in the back.
Could it be for the rumored mini-360 ?

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
They have been making good designs as of late such as the Xperia Z line, some of their blu-ray players and some the top-line vaios(The Vita is great too imo). So I am not too worried, but who knows as they just gave the go-ahead on the Super Slim.

As for Xbox One: You're likely spot on with the emboldened parts and I got nothing more to say other than that there was a rumor of them having heat issues and trying to make it cooler, so they must have wanted to be on the safe side which is rather a good thing.

Yeah who knows, I'm hoping for the best from Sony for the PS4 design, but like I said if it's ass I won't be surprised. The Super Slim is a joke. They're capable of great things, but they're also capable of total garbage.

I'm watching the reveal again, and I just realized I overlooked the port on the left size of the console. What is it for ? It looks like it's meant to have something big plugged in, and it's not the power brick since there's a power connector in the back.
Could it be for the rumored mini-360 ?

Discussed in this very thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58384177&postcount=5524

Top Bottom