• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Reveal Thread: Durango Unchained

So no one is talking about the cloud stuff. How viable is this compute processing on cloud they are talking about?

Apparently (From Wired, assuming) Developers could use extra power from the Cloud stuff for actual game processes. This will mean that even if you tap out everything the One has, you can still rely on that to probably build something as neat the what the PS4 will offer. However at the cost of having your game to be Online Required.

Sorral

Good god, I didn't realize Xbox One is almost as big as the original PS3 until I saw the comparison pictures posted here.

My Man!!

Hope you're right, although I have no problems with the X1 design. I want Sony to come out with something stellar again, they've been (s)lacking lately.

They usually make the hardware (design and outside/overall build) better in their first patches/iterations even the actual insides got manufacturing issues (see PS3's/PS2's lens issues). You're right about the super slim, but if you look at PS3 1.0 and 2.0, they are a lot better than that. The same (imo) can be said for PSP 1000 vs 3000 (even though the insides are better in 3000) or normal PS2 vs slim PS2 when it comes to actual build quality.

The original PS1 lasted for so long in our house compared to the smaller PSone. Also, the normal PS2 was dropped like 5 ft and still works to this day. Can't say the same about my friend's slim PS2 that got issues later.

Then, they make cheap shit later which is why I buy the first iteration just about all the time, so I'm not worried about what they will make with the PS4 at first. In some cases like PSP3000 improvements outweigh keeping the PSP1000 though. I guess I sound like captain obvious now after reading all of that, but eh.

Pandemic

Which console is looking better hardware wise when both the PS4 and Xbox One are compared?

I'm surprised there isn't a hardware discussion.

Karak

Apparently (From Wired, assuming) Developers could use extra power from the Cloud stuff for actual game processes. This will mean that even if you tap out everything the One has, you can still rely on that to probably build something as neat the what the PS4 will offer. However at the cost of having your game to be Online Required.

It does read like its doable and MS are betting the market on it...so they think it is.

StevieP

Banned

It... Doesn't work that way. Do you understand the latency involved in calculating certain game code? Nanoseconds matter in this world.

Shame on you. To make it up, please get rid of the Only on Xbox from my avatar. I need it removed ASAP, haha.

gBPyYK2.png

Sorral

Which console is looking better hardware wise when both the PS4 and Xbox One are compared?

Some of that discussion was done here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560464

Also, the rumors were pretty much on the money par the always-online bit. So most of the discussion was already done and the wars were fought in the name of the rumors. There were several casualties as well. I believe Reiko was one of them.

Edit: I should include that DieH@rd made a quick/good simplified comparison in that thread as well about the hardware:

- Both have 8 core Jaguar X86 CPU [lowpowered ahitecture aimed at ultrabook-grade laptops].

- PS4 has 8 gigs of GDDR5 ram, Xbox One has 8 gigs of DDR3 ram that is 3x slower than GDDR5. To offset that, XO GPU has 32megs of onboard cache that is 60% faster than DDR3.

- PS4 GPU is 50% more powerful at same clock speeds, and there is a very high chance that PS4 OS will require less processing power/ram to work.

All in all, XB has more complicated architecture, with slower hardware, and beefier OS. Sony clearly aimed to create GAME console, MS aimed to create cheaper ENTERTAINMENT box.

Portugeezer

Looks like PS4 will be more powerful but MS didn't give us much to work with but people are saying:

Xbox One is about 1.2 Tflops (lower than PS4's 1.84Tflops)
Xbox One uses DDR3 and not GDDR5

JJD

All three versions of PS3 where really ugly looking. I'm just saying not to get your hopes up for something sexy.

What? Hell no.

Phat PS3 was OK (but too big), Slim was overall pretty nice (size/design). I haven't seen the new slim in person, but it looks kinda ugly.

I actually thought the Xbox One looked good. I really liked it. The controller looks sleek as hell! I loved it!

I'm just scratching my head at the console size. It's ginormous.

Considering the hardware it's packing I presumed since the first hardware specs leaked that the console would be a small, cool running box. They are using mostly laptop parts for christsakes!

After seeing the new XOne I'm now really curious about the PS4 design as well (mostly it's size) and I really didn't give a shit about it earlier. I wonder if it's going to be PS3/Xbox One big too.

If the PS4 is that big then OK, I presumed wrong. But if it is considerably smaller then there's got to be a reason the One is so big.

Maybe MS went crazy with the cooling to avoid another RROD fiasco.

What? Hell no.

Phat PS3 was OK (but too big), Slim was overall pretty nice (size/design). I haven't seen the new slim in person, but it looks kinda ugly.

Completely disagree, New Slim is the best looking PS3 while original Slim is the ugliest console in the world. Should had being called the PS3 Wide.

But hey, that's what taste is all about.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Good god, I didn't realize Xbox One is almost as big as the original PS3 until I saw the comparison pictures posted here.

They usually make the hardware (design and outside/overall build) better in their first patches/iterations even the actual insides got manufacturing issues (see PS3's/PS2's lens issues). You're right about the super slim, but if you look at PS3 1.0 and 2.0, they are a lot better than that. The same (imo) can be said for PSP 1000 vs 3000 (even though the insides are better in 3000) or normal PS2 vs slim PS2 when it comes to actual build quality.

The original PS1 lasted for so long in our house compared to the smaller PSone. Also, the normal PS2 was dropped like 5 ft and still works to this day. Can't say the same about my friend's slim PS2 that got issues later.

Then, they make cheap shit later which is why I buy the first iteration just about all the time, so I'm not worried about what they will make with the PS4 at first. In some cases like PSP3000 improvements outweigh keeping the PSP1000 though. I guess I sound like captain obvious now after reading all of that, but eh.

I had the opposite with the PS1. I was one of the people who had to turn the damn thing 270* diagonal upside down for it to read the disc, because the build quality was not so hot. PSOne worked flawlessly for me. For the time, I thought the compact rounded design was nice.

PS2 was a tank, but I got the PStwo strictly because it was a sexy slim miniaturization. This is what I commend Sony for, when they made it smaller, they also put effort into making it more attractive. I still have it hooked up, just because I love the design (works flawlessly as well).

Same can be said for PSP, I'm speaking about asthetics. Each new update, made it more compact and more appealing.

PS3 though, like wtf. You start off with this ugly monstrous behemoth, shrink it down so it's a bit less ugly and more acceptable. Then in an attempt to shrink it down again, they go full on Fisher Price... It's as if they forgot everything they learned from the previous 2 consoles and handheld. It's a joke.

That's why I'm hoping they reverse the mediocrity with the PS4.

Ultimately yeah it's about the games, but I like to own hardware that I find appealing as well.

Sorral

I had the opposite with the PS1. I was one of the people who had to turn the damn thing 270* diagonal upside down for it to read the disc, because the build quality was not so hot. PSOne worked flawlessly for me. For the time, I thought the compact rounded design was nice.

PS2 was a tank, but I got the PStwo strictly because it was a sexy slim miniaturization. This is what I commend Sony for, when they made it smaller, they also put effort into making it more attractive. I still have it hooked up, just because I love the design (works flawlessly as well).

Same can be said for PSP, I'm speaking about asthetics. Each new update, made it more compact and more appealing.

PS3 though, like wtf. You start off with this ugly monstrous behemoth, shrink it down so it's a bit less ugly and more acceptable. Then in an attempt to shrink it down again, they go full on Fisher Price... It's as if they forgot everything they learned from the previous 2 consoles and handheld. It's a joke.

That's why I'm hoping they reverse the mediocrity with the PS4.

Ultimately yeah it's about the games, but I like to own hardware that I find appealing as well.

Oooh, your view is more about how appealing/compact it is. Makes more sense because mine was more about how good of a build it is("like a tank" kind of thing) hence how I like the first iterations over later ones.

But yeah, both the PSone/PS2 slims would be a lot better in that regard. The same for PSP's less weighty iterations. The PS3's situation is different though as they REALLY wanted to make the thing cheaper to make any way possible as I'm sure you know. It is why I think the first one is still the best one. So many features packed into the thing and I actually used just about all of them. But it is still a monster in size and power-draw. :lol

Orca

As someone that covers gaming for a financial institution this was a very interesting afternoon to be sure. Microsoft just made some pretty big bets and nobody on the business side I've spoken to seems to think they were the right ones. Some of the gains in Sony's shares this afternoon were a direct result of that.

You must be very good at your job, considering the far more likely source of the gain was the release of word Sony may actually spin off the Entertainment division.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So no one is talking about the cloud stuff. How viable is this compute processing on cloud they are talking about?
Devs leveraging Azure PaaS is my favorite thing about next gen. Can't wait to see what they can do with it. Very Powerful feature imo.

Tom Penny

"Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes,"

So if your Kinect device were to break you have no way to use your Xbox? Is that accurate.

StevieP

Banned
It does work that way.

Watch the interview.

Interview With Xbox One's Chief Product Officer Marc Whitten

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...-ones-chief-product-officer-marc-whitten.aspx

Sigh... You do realize that the majority of game-specific material can't get put through the cloud. Most things have to be processed right there, on the CPU in the system. These things need to dedicate threads on your CPU in an immediate fashion because they do not tolerate delay. There are certainly some things that can be processed in the cloud, but something like, say... the physics of a body that just flew into a piece of sheet glass that you just shot a bullet into is not one of those things. That's done right then and there on the local CPU.

Brera

Banned
I like TV idea of a retro design. But MS did it wrong. It's like they tried to combine the PS2 retro 80s schlock with 21st century flat design.

They should have gone hardcore 80s like the PS2 but MS don't have the awesome balls Sony have.

PS4 is gonna look all angular and funky isn't it?

My God...

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Oooh, your view is more about how appealing/compact it is. Makes more sense because mine was more about how good of a build it is("like a tank" kind of thing) hence how I like the first iterations over later ones.

But yeah, both the PSone/PS2 slims would be a lot better in that regard. The same for PSP's less weighty iterations. The PS3's situation is different though as they REALLY wanted to make the thing cheaper to make any way possible as I'm sure you know. It is why I think the first one is still the best one. So many features packed into the thing and I actually used just about all of them. But it is still a monster in size and power-draw. :lol

Oh I also go for build quality, I'm not disregarding that. I had a better experience with the PSOne redesign than the original PS1. The PS2 vs PSTwo were on equal foot build quality wise.

In that regard I'd say the redesigns were better than the originals as they were able to shrink the size, save cost, keep build quality, and make them look nicer.

I still have an Original PS3, I use that beast to heat my room. It's ugly as hell, but it's cruising along nicely.

I just think with the Super Slim, Sony lost all concept of how to keep a product quality up and appealing, while you reduce cost. A company is supposed to make something cheaper for themselves, while doing their best for quality/masking differences from the public. Sony just went here's a POS, we know it's a POS, you probably do as well, but we don't care. Enjoy!

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damn. That was like the Mattrick lack-of-applause GIF stretched out to 60mins.

Now I almost want to see someone give MS an exclusive like CoD or FF out of pity.

I liked the seamless input switching, but otherwise it was less than lackluster.

sja_626

Appears to me like a couple of the things causing the most angst with the Xbox One reveal were in fact “necessary evils” in order to provide other features that people didn't want to go without.

People (certainly me) wanted to install games and play without the disk. People want the benefits of a physical copy (no big download, can re-install from your physical media even if it was no longer available for download, can get cheap games at retailer sales, get to own a nice box/cover), with the DD perks (instant access to all your games with no disk changing).

Xbox One has seemingly provided that, but I can't see any way they could have done so and still let us lend games to our friends. They obviously couldn't allow the scenario where friend A and friend B go halves on a game, friend A keeps the disk to play off and friend B installs and ties it to his profile to play without the disk. Essentially every sale would provide two copies of the game. Would I rather be able to buy physical and yet play all my games as though they were digital only, or be able to lend my games to my friends? For me it's worth the trade-off.

And really, the world is heading that way anyway. Can I lend smartphone apps to my friend? PSN/XBLA/Games on Demand games? Steam games? DLC? No. I don't see it as a big issue. I can play my games, online or offline (for a time?) on my console, as can anyone else who uses that console, and I can play my games anywhere else as long as I sign in. Seems reasonable, and lots of other platforms are doing it.

Regarding used games, given the way games are tied to accounts, Microsoft could easily have said "fuck it, no used games" and blocked them entirely. But, all signs indicate they are providing a way to deactivate games and resell them, and allowing us to buy and play used games, which most of us wanted. Guess what? That's reason for the "always online" the internet is so upset about. Sure, it would be nice if we could play our games offline on the console they were purchased on indefinitely, and that may have been the case, but we would have to have accepted a complete block on used games. You expect Microsoft to let people go offline, then sell their whole collection but continue to play it indefinitely?

Lending our games to friends or playing without disks (physical with the perks of DD)?

Complete used game lockout or occasional authorization checks?

We can't have it both ways, and I feel Microsoft has picked the better option in both cases. The negative reaction is way overblown. If they didn’t do these things people would likely be even more upset with the other outcome. Of far greater concern is that Microsoft seems to have positioned gaming as a minor focus of the system, and that it looks like it might be significantly under-powered compared with PS4. But that's another story.

Shaneus

You wanted to install games and play them without the disk? You're part of the problem!

The way the 360 did it was perfect. Offer GoD, allow installs with a simple disk check... easy.

And to be honest, the reason I kinda still dug consoles (this will sound weird) is because you *had* to put a game in to play it (most of the time). I have a library of Steam games I will never get to because they're all "just there" and I'll get to them eventually. But on a regular basis, something will catch my eye in my 360 game shelf and I'll grab it, throw it in and play. If the games are just installed without the need for a disc, I think the same thing will happen.

Sure, that's mostly a personal thing, but I think that's a comfort a few people share... the fact that there's still some physicality to "booting" up a game and playing it. Harkens back to the old school, I guess.

Sorral

Oh I also go for build quality, I'm not disregarding that. I had a better experience with the PSOne redesign than the original PS1. The PS2 vs PSTwo were on equal foot build quality wise.

In that regard I'd say the redesigns were better than the originals as they were able to shrink the size, save cost, keep build quality, and make them look nicer.

I guess I got a slightly different experience. My original PS1 was certainly better than the smaller one and same goes for the normal PS2. Perhaps all of them were PAL had something to do with it.

I still have an Original PS3, I use that beast to heat my room. It's ugly as hell, but it's cruising along nicely.

I just think with the Super Slim, Sony lost all concept of how to keep a product quality up and appealing, while you reduce cost. A company is supposed to make something cheaper for themselves, while doing their best for quality/masking differences from the public. Sony just went here's a POS, we know it's a POS, you probably do as well, but we don't care. Enjoy!

All of this made me laugh. It really is all true especially the way Sony was about the Super Slim. Though I don't think the original is all that ugly.

You really think that they will drop the ball with the PS4 though? I am hoping not, but who knows. The Xbox One is on the weaker side of things yet it is not small (But then, MS designed it and not Sony).

Angry Fork

Was working all day, got home and watched the conference. It's basically what I expected. I hadn't planned on getting the console but I'm glad it's become a no-brainer decision not to. Remedy is my favorite developer but even Quantum Break looked kind of meh. Was hoping for Alan Wake 2. Still E3 has yet to come so we'll see what other games are shown.

Ghosts looked like a current gen game on PC. Maybe it looks better in gameplay since it wont be 640p anymore but I thought it was pretty rough for a next-gen showing. The fire/explosions, water, even the character movements all looked like it was still on the same engine/current gen just an 'updated' one. Is it really an entirely new/different engine? The dog gif people keep posting is funny.

And why do they keep hammering us over the head about you you you you you you. I am not that conceited. I do not give a shit if a device knows what I want, I don't want it to know what I want. I don't want everything to be online all the time with intrusions everywhere. I don't care about voice commands or arm waving to do things. I don't want it, but it's shoved in anyway.

Hopefully PS4 doesn't require any of this shit and lets you shut off/disconnect whatever you want. I really don't want the PS eye to be bundled with every PS4 either but it feels like that's going to be the case, thereby inflating the price for stupid casual shit.

Top Bottom