• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Reveal Thread: Durango Unchained

Shaneus

I am just now actually finishing the reveal video. Man, I was already planning on buying a PS4, but it's going to take a hell of a lot of super-awesome-must-have exclusives before I even consider this jack-of-all, master-of-nothing system.

They spent so many resources on all of these extraneous things that I don't give a shit about in a gaming console at the expense of the most important factors. I can't honestly believe that people have become so increasingly lazy that they have a difficult time switching inputs or channels.
I wouldn't worry... because unless you're in the US, you won't be able to use any of the stuff they've spent all this time developing anyway. At least, not for a REALLY long time (if the implementation of something as simple as Australian Kinect voice recognition is anything to go by).

Seriously though. When they START the conference by saying, "we are here to talk about features of the hardware in relation to all of your entertainment needs, and we are saving the game stuff for e3, surprises and new ips", how do you then run screaming into the thread lamenting how you've been mislead because they spent 40 minutes talking about tv, Skype, live, kinect, sports, etc?

In retrospect, it means that they're NOT going to waste the majority of the E3 press conference talking about that shit? Conceivably? So I encourage both the jaded fanboys, and the miscreants spreading their FUD, wait until the real press conferences.

And to those of you making long term purchasing decisions based on this limited joke of a reveal?

AnJYH4u.jpg

(Kept it static for ya. Forum's runnin slow, you know...)
You're one of them, aren't you? Stop making so much sense! This is NeoGAF, dude.

Amusingly... does anyone else think that the bullshots looked worse than the EA Sports Xbox 360 ones that inspired the term way back when
Man, in Steamchat with some AusGAF folk, that's EXACTLY what I said. Word for word.

Shaneus

No, it isn't. Even if this reveal didn't mean to focus on games, nearly half of its running time was, in fact dedicated to games...games that didn't impress in any way, especially graphically. We learned that the cost of a Kinect is subsidized into the console, forcing that cost on us, that it needs to be plugged in at all times. We learned that bullshit game licensing would take effect. We learned there would be no backwards compatibility. We learned that the device itself is fucking massive, and pretty ugly.

We learned lots of things that suck, and the fact that not many games were shown really weren't our complaints. This is an outright disaster.
This is really interesting to hear, especially from someone who could potentially see it as a platform that could be developed on (and also as a gamer, obviously).

From what I've seen as well, at least with the limited number of indie devs I follow on Twitter, that almost all of them are calling it a disaster as well. And not in the "Let's wait until E3"-type way, but that they're writing it off almost immediately.

Does anyone else see the One as having the possibility for expansion as much as the 360 wound up having, especially with the dashboard? Because honestly, I can't envisage it evolving much past what it is. There just doesn't seem to be any aspect of the system's design that caters for it (whatever that might be).

I feel dirty for making the OT.
I feel dirty for having contributed so much in the PGR5 thread. Still can't believe they're launching with Forza 5. What a massive fucking mistake.

LakeEarth

Caught up, and I too am quite negative post-Xbox One show. The only thing I really liked was the name and the minimally re-designed controller. Everything else, I was not the target audience. I don't watch much TV anymore, I'm not a huge football guy, I don't care about a Halo TV show (that Halo movie is on Netflix and I've never considered watching it), don't give a crap about Kinect (so being forced to buy it is , and the few games they did show aren't the kind of games I usually play. Then there's the always online, pay to play crap (how will game rentals work?). They'll have to cast some powerful magic on me at E3 to change my current opinion.

As someone that covers gaming for a financial institution this was a very interesting afternoon to be sure. Microsoft just made some pretty big bets and nobody on the business side I've spoken to seems to think they were the right ones. Some of the gains in Sony's shares this afternoon were a direct result of that. The most worried people on the planet right now need to be Sony's logistics/supply chain people.

I'm personally pretty underwhelmed by what was shown and more importantly by the 'vision' shown. The dream of a "singularity device" has been around for aeons and there's a reason nobody's been able to get there. We like our separate devices. We like our tablets for causal browsing, our pcs for working and our consoles for gaming because we don't have to compromise anywhere. They are not mutually exclusive. I had initially hoped the Yukon rumors were true and that MSFT would show two devices today. That way we'd have had a powerful console for gamers and a separate lighter 'apps' box that would do everything else and could be refreshed every other year to keep up with changing TV viewing habits. Instead we got what seems to be a poorly focused console that had to be seriously underpowered relative to its main gaming competition to bundle in a lot of functionality that is of unproven value, especially in the non US markets where all the growth is going to be. Core gamers will find the PS4 superior, the TV features you can get with a much cheaper Roku box or Apple TV that you can upgrade every year, Samsung smart TVs already come with the gesture based control schemes and tablets from Apple etc are better fits for casual gamers.

I actually started off working for MS back when the 360 was in development before I went to b school. Back then people like J Allard really knew what they were doing. In contrast, the xBox One sounds like it was designed by a very varied focus group. The one thing that really bugs me about the hardware design is the fact that it is underpowered because they had to sacrifice die space for embedded RAM and move engines. They had to do that because they wanted 8GB of memory which (they thought) would have to mean DDR3. They wanted 8GB of RAM because they had to have that to support all the non gaming stuff they planned to do. Essentially the entire design appears to have been driven, and eventually compromised on the altar of having your xBox put a green skin on the TV guide. In contrast, Sony admitted they were wrong with the PS3, hired Mark Cerny (who is a true legend in the industry if you are old enough) and designed the PS4. Is all the OS/TV stuff shown today cool? Absolutely. Is it worth sacrificing performance over in something that still is a gaming console? Absolutely not.

Finally shame on both MS (with EA and COD) and Sony (with Ubisoft) for falling for the exclusive content/DLC scam the publishers run. You're both wasting your shareholders money on stuff that has been proven to not sell significantly more hardware. If it isn't a significantly timed/fully exclusive AAA title, it is pointless.

Exactly how I feel.

CoG

Today confirmed I am not getting the Xbox One. I have a bunch of devices that do media already, I don't need another. Especially considering the Xbox Live tax for using Netflix, etc. I have no interest in a half-arsed overlay for my TV either. I'm not a huge gamer anymore but it was always nice having a console around to play the big titles once or twice a year. I think mobile gaming is going to be my outlet going further.

The Xbox One seems like The Homer of game consoles. It tries to be everything to everyone but in the end it's just a bunch of shit nobody wants bolted together.

AePsshy.png

That's an excellent example of them using cheap materials to try and make a profit.

I'm pretty sure PS4 won't like like that POS haha, they are gonna get the best of the best designers to make a good first impression IMO.

P.S I'm also a fan of Meisa Kuroki. ;)

All three versions of PS3 where really ugly looking. I'm just saying not to get your hopes up for something sexy.

Persona86

Banned
My Man!!

Hope you're right, although I have no problems with the X1 design. I want Sony to come out with something stellar again, they've been (s)lacking lately.

E3 is Judgment day.

It's heavily hinted that Versus will finally be there too. E3 will be epic IMO, Xbox, PS4 and WiiU will bring it hard.

Fox Mulder

How does all the TV stuff work if you already have a decoder handling your channels? changing the channel with voice command cant possibly work in that situation since the xbox one cant control those external devices, even if you connect your device to the console.

Will all of these channel specific features require some form xbox cable subscription?
because unless im missing something, the only way for the box to actually recognize which channel is on and deliver all those specific features, is if all of that is coming from the console itself.

throw all that old shit out, the new xbox is here.

Sanctuary

I wouldn't worry... because unless you're in the US, you won't be able to use any of the stuff they've spent all this time developing anyway. At least, not for a REALLY long time (if the implementation of something as simple as Australian Kinect voice recognition is anything to go by).

I live in the US. My point is simply that I don't care one bit about any of the non gaming features, and I would be paying for all of this extra shit, while gaining an infinitesimal bump in graphics and overall stability. Everyone was already talking about how the leap wouldn't be as big as it was going from PS2 > PS3 or Xbox > 360, but nothing really prepared me for this.

Thanks Sony, a winner is you this round.

Azull

Just finished watching the conference and read some of the threads on neogaf, like the 24hr online login requirement and such. Gotta say, I expected the worst but somehow they trumped what I expected. Impressive I have to say.

Karak

Just finished watching the conference and read some of the threads on neogaf, like the 24hr online login requirement and such. Gotta say, I expected the worst but somehow they trumped what I expected. Impressive I have to say.

Ya I went into the conference with 0 hype. Just expecting to see the machine.
I did not expect to see an E-machine.

kidko

For some reason the top part on that controller looks off to me, like an snap-on add-on instead of a seamless part of the controller.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Where can I rewatch the stream gametrailers video won't seek to any point. :(

Anyone got another link?

Edit: NVM Got it working.

how could that be worse than say true always online with 3 minute cutoff? does not compute

syko de4d

there was one neat stuff i liked, that was the Skype stuff on the right side of the screen.
Imagine playing Coop Online with a friend and you would use it? Or Watching the Champions League Final/Superbowl with your Family, which are far away? Sounds pretty neat.
But ther other stuff? I dont want to watch trailers while watching a movie, thats not for people with multitasking abilities thats for people with concentration problems.

kidko

There was so much hope in this thread this morning. I had to go back and try and pinpoint the post where it all turned and started to go sour.

I think it was this one, clocking in at 4 minutes in...

Cut the crap already, show us some games.

It all goes downhill from there!

P44

Seriously though. When they START the conference by saying, "we are here to talk about features of the hardware in relation to all of your entertainment needs, and we are saving the game stuff for e3, surprises and new ips", how do you then run screaming into the thread lamenting how you've been mislead because they spent 40 minutes talking about tv, Skype, live, kinect, sports, etc?

In retrospect, it means that they're NOT going to waste the majority of the E3 press conference talking about that shit? Conceivably? So I encourage both the jaded fanboys, and the miscreants spreading their FUD, wait until the real press conferences.

And to those of you making long term purchasing decisions based on this limited joke of a reveal?

AnJYH4u.jpg

(Kept it static for ya. Forum's runnin slow, you know...)

For me, its more, there seems to have been a lot of energy by MS put into making the machine like, some media machine sort of thing, judging on software features and hardware. Specwise, its not as beefy, it has undeniably a more media focus. I'm not saying I've been mislead or something, I just think that I'm probably not the target audience for this xbox.

The Sony conference on the other hand, once again, disregarding the games shown, sort of still centred on how everything would effect the gaming experience of it all; the talk about the hardware and how they used input from game devs, etc, the software features based around sharing games, everything still felt very grounded in games, even when they weren't talking about the actual games.

It boils down to the feel of a different focus. If today was a hardware reveal, then, sure, plug your media features, but I also wanted to hear more on how everything would effect my gaming experiences i.e encompassed within my "entertainment needs". ; to that extent, I wouldn't have minded if they only showed 2-3 games.

The hardware and OS doesn't seem as focused, and honestly that puts me off a bit.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Ya I went into the conference with 0 hype.

LOL. You only contributed dozens if not 100+ posts to the hype thread with gifs, avatars and hyperbole flowing like wine. You guys were in a frenzy like a cult.

Hype will be back around E3 like always with gaf. They just need to clear up the crap thats getting more attention instead of the important good stuff of Xbox One.

Of course, which is my main reason for possibly wanting to own this new Xbox One... the games. I own a powerful pc, and have owned most consoles since the atari/intellivision. It's really not that big a deal to me.

Truespeed

They showed the box and it was, well, a 1980's Mitsubishi VCR. The 3 OS strategy is rather interesting much the same way in a person with multiple personalities is interesting. I guess they needed a way to stick Windows 8 and Modern UI on it. It's worked for everything else, so why not do it again. I did find it amusing that they played up the 5 billion transistor count. It's almost as if they were searching for a number that was bigger than the PS4. I guess if you add enough components together you'll reach any transistor count you want.

I really believe they thought the PS4 was only going to have 4GB of GDDR5. They must have been shocked when they heard it was 8.

P44

They spent way too long on the non gaming features. But, to their credit, they stated outright that they were saving the big reveals and such for E3 (and they damn well need to be, because i promise you Sony has an avalanche planned).

Sounds promising on the Sony front then, I guess. I'm hoping they skip the stuff we've seen, (flesh out infamous a bit more ofc) and cover some new stuff.

R&D in a tv show. Pretty sure Speils cost a million plus just for the name attachment.

You wont get 2 million people to watch Halo tv.And you wont get even 100,000 to download a monthly show for $10 bucks.

Its too much damn Halo.

Damn, I expected over-reactions but GAF has really shown up. I still chuckle that people are casting the Xbox as "NO GAMES".

I consider myself a core gamer (have 40+ games for the Xbox). I loved the multimedia stuff and those capabilities are important and really set the Xbox apart for me. I was a little disappointed about the limited games but that disappointment went away when I realized E3 is THREE WEEKS AWAY. Calm down ya'll.

I'm looking forward to pre-ordering this beast. Forza looked brilliant and the Remedy game looks... interesting. Already signed up on Microsoft's webpage to get information about the system.

Portugeezer

As someone that covers gaming for a financial institution this was a very interesting afternoon to be sure. Microsoft just made some pretty big bets and nobody on the business side I've spoken to seems to think they were the right ones. Some of the gains in Sony's shares this afternoon were a direct result of that. The most worried people on the planet right now need to be Sony's logistics/supply chain people.

I'm personally pretty underwhelmed by what was shown and more importantly by the 'vision' shown. The dream of a "singularity device" has been around for aeons and there's a reason nobody's been able to get there. We like our separate devices. We like our tablets for causal browsing, our pcs for working and our consoles for gaming because we don't have to compromise anywhere. They are not mutually exclusive. I had initially hoped the Yukon rumors were true and that MSFT would show two devices today. That way we'd have had a powerful console for gamers and a separate lighter 'apps' box that would do everything else and could be refreshed every other year to keep up with changing TV viewing habits. Instead we got what seems to be a poorly focused console that had to be seriously underpowered relative to its main gaming competition to bundle in a lot of functionality that is of unproven value, especially in the non US markets where all the growth is going to be. Core gamers will find the PS4 superior, the TV features you can get with a much cheaper Roku box or Apple TV that you can upgrade every year, Samsung smart TVs already come with the gesture based control schemes and tablets from Apple etc are better fits for casual gamers.

I actually started off working for MS back when the 360 was in development before I went to b school. Back then people like J Allard really knew what they were doing. In contrast, the xBox One sounds like it was designed by a very varied focus group. The one thing that really bugs me about the hardware design is the fact that it is underpowered because they had to sacrifice die space for embedded RAM and move engines. They had to do that because they wanted 8GB of memory which (they thought) would have to mean DDR3. They wanted 8GB of RAM because they had to have that to support all the non gaming stuff they planned to do. Essentially the entire design appears to have been driven, and eventually compromised on the altar of having your xBox put a green skin on the TV guide. In contrast, Sony admitted they were wrong with the PS3, hired Mark Cerny (who is a true legend in the industry if you are old enough) and designed the PS4. Is all the OS/TV stuff shown today cool? Absolutely. Is it worth sacrificing performance over in something that still is a gaming console? Absolutely not.

Finally shame on both MS (with EA and COD) and Sony (with Ubisoft) for falling for the exclusive content/DLC scam the publishers run. You're both wasting your shareholders money on stuff that has been proven to not sell significantly more hardware. If it isn't a significantly timed/fully exclusive AAA title, it is pointless.
sUAFSmL.gif

So no one is talking about the cloud stuff. How viable is this compute processing on cloud they are talking about?
Not very viable for games. Problem is the game is still running on your machine, not completely on a cloud like OnLive did. It just doesn't work as good, there won't be much benefit.

Top Bottom