• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Rewards Program announced (prizes for nerd points)

Sean

Banned
If I'm reading it right - if you have over 10,000 points you'd get a free gamerpicture, dashboard theme, Contra XBLA, 200 points, a t-shirt, and Fusion Frenzy 2? Pretty nice! MS must have a lot of copies of Fusion Frenzy 2 that they can't get rid of :lol

Between Crackdown (1,000) and all the upcoming XBLA games (200 each) it should be pretty easy to get 1,500 points in 2 months. Good thing I didn't play Sneak King yet, that's another 200 easy points I think.

Tieno

You know what's a better idea (from MS's perspective anyway)? If the achievement points would have to be from XBLA titles...no rentals and monies go directly to MS and the dev/publisher.

You know what would be an interesting reward?(from MS's point of view) 1000(or more, or less) achievement points (form xbla titles) to play the Halo 3 beta...

MS should hire me

VALIS

Y2Kevbug11 said:
This is actually a great idea, but those prizes are kinda lame.

Yes, and yes. Great idea, meh prizes. I hope they do this often with different prizes.

And Ghaleon, haven't you seen any Old Spice commercials on TV in the past 5 years? They've been constantly trying to latch themselves onto the young male demographic.

rage1973

Sean said:
If I'm reading it right - if you have over 10,000 points you'd get a free gamerpicture, dashboard theme, Contra XBLA, 200 points, a t-shirt, and Fusion Frenzy 2? Pretty nice! MS must have a lot of copies of Fusion Frenzy 2 that they can't get rid of :lol

Between Crackdown (1,000) and all the upcoming XBLA games (200 each) it should be pretty easy to get 1,500 points in 2 months. Good thing I didn't play Sneak King yet, that's another 200 easy points I think.
Sneak King points are relatively hard. Pocketbike Racer is much easier.

I like the idea. However, the rules are confusing to say the least. Fusion Frenzy 2 is obviously the real prize, good game or not thats a $50 retail value and could net anyone some some trade in credit easily. By 'prizes are limited' I take it they really mean Fusion Frenzy 2, I wish they would say exactly how many they are giving away. I guess there will be more on how this is working in the next couple of days..

What happens if you already own Contra? :( A different game? 400 point credit? wha? How about if you already own Contra, SOTN is free..

goldenpp72

I believe how it works is if you had 10k points already (or more) you're level 3, but you have to accumulate 1500 more points regaurdless of how many you already had from the dates listed to get the prizes.

As well, I imagine this is only available in the US because old spice didnt want to sponsor it outside of the US, so if a british company wants to hold one for britain, they can.

Blame your country :p

Captain N

goldenpp72 said:
I believe how it works is if you had 10k points already (or more) you're level 3, but you have to accumulate 1500 more points regaurdless of how many you already had from the dates listed to get the prizes.

As well, I imagine this is only available in the US because old spice didnt want to sponsor it outside of the US, so if a british company wants to hold one for britain, they can.

Blame your country :p

alright..so I've got two weeks to get 1500 points and then put in for my prize?

goldenpp72

well the thing said from february to april, so that would be a couple months, the rush part comes from the fact their supply is 'limited' and the prizes go to who reaches said goal first. It also doesn't start until the 12th.

Hopefully worms, SOTN, crackdown and something else awesome are qualifiers for this, as ill own them <3

Sean

Banned
Captain N said:
alright..so I've got two weeks to get 1500 points and then put in for my prize?

You have to register on the Xbox Rewards site first on Feb 12th.

Then you have 2 months (starting on Feb 12th) to get 1,500 extra points.

Firestorm

USA only?

martin.jpg

those are some pretty shitty rewards. my little brother would probably like fusion frenzy though.

any know how long it takes to get through the single player in psu? i've had it sitting here for 2 months.

The catch is "while supplies last". So only the first who register and get 1500 achievements points will win. And considering that you can "prepare" your 1500 score offline days before the start of the promotion, I predict that 5 minutes after its start it will end (when enough people register and log on Live after registering). Unless only achievements that you get while logged on Live counts, in such cases the promotion will end in a few hours (or as long as a King Kong or another easy game lasts).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Hate to rain on everybody's parade, but:

For some Xbox Rewards Challenges, you will need to have access an Xbox 360™ console with a memory unit or a hard drive, an Xbox Live Gold or Silver-level subscription, and specific Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade games.

Looks like those old sports games ain't gonna cut it, most likely. I assume they'll require the most recent games.

The catch is "while supplies last". So only the first who register and get 1500 achievements points will win. And considering that you can "prepare" your 1500 score offline days before the start of the promotion, I predict that 5 minutes after its start it will end (when enough people register and log on Live after registering). Unless only achievements that you get while logged on Live counts, in such cases the promotion will end in a few hours (or as long as a King Kong or another easy game lasts).

I was going to do that, but it looks like MS has headed this off by keeping the games that qualify secret until the registration date.

ChrisAllenFiz said:
DON'T CONSOLE COMPANIES REALISE EUROPE EXISTS?

sorry for shouting, but it really gets on my tits.

They do, but do deodorant companies knows that Europe exists? :lol (sorry have to use this joke, the situation was begging for it).

But seriously, the sponsor is american so makes sense for the promotion to be USA centric. Nevertheless there is plenty of legal nonsense to overpass in a wordwide promotion (which they are hinting at for next step - I sure hope they do that, since I am in Brazil, where 360 is officially presented but there is no sign of Live yet, figure it).

I guess Microsoft got sick of Canadians saying Achehvment Points whenever we called their 800-number, so they didn't let us participate in the contest.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
How courteous of them to reward us with useless ****.

Oh great, 200 MS points.

I'm sorry. Maybe if they had made admission into the contest a bit tougher (10K points or higher = level 1) and they had provided more compelling prizes (A copy of Crackdown and 1200 points), I would have considered.

Most of the people who have incredibly high gamer scores purchase a lot of Xbox 360 software. They're supporting the xbox brand and Microsoft through-and-through. How about something more for them? Something more than the equivalent of $2.50 in "virtual" money and an equally expensive cotton t-shirt?

VALIS

dirtmonkey37 said:
How courteous of them to reward us with useless ****.

Oh great, 200 MS points.

I'm sorry. Maybe if they had made admission into the contest a bit tougher (10K points or higher = level 1) and they had provided more compelling prizes (A copy of Crackdown and 1200 points), I would have considered.

Holy crap! And here we have the prototypical GAF crybaby in a nutshell here, ladies and gentlemen. "How dare they try to give us free crap?! What nerve! Buncha jerks!"

Wow. So many spoiled brats around here. I don't think the prizes are great, either (and I've said so), but to actually complain about it? WOW.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
VALIS said:
Holy crap! And here we have the prototypical GAF crybaby in a nutshell here, ladies and gentlemen. "How dare they try to give us free crap?! What nerve! Buncha jerks!"

Wow. So many spoiled brats around here. I don't think the prizes are great, either (and I've said so), but to actually complain about it? WOW.

No. I'm not necesarily (although I am in a sense) complaining. I'm simply stating it's a feeble attempt at thanking the supporters of the 360 hardware. They're basically saying, "hey, thanks, user, for purchasing $1000 dollars worth of Xbox 360 software. Here's $2.50 for your efforts. Oh, and we'll throw in a t-shirt that will take about 5 weeks worth of business days to reach your home. We appreciate your commitment and support of Microsoft's HOE division

Provide us with your email and we'll give you even more free material (email spam, ads, bleh)"

It's like the statement, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

The same principle applies here.

Anyways, in spite of my previous comments, I most certainly can't wait for my new $2.50 allowance.

This "only in the US" crap is severly starting to segregate the console. MS is better off doing nothing at all then adding extra value to their games and console that only US residents have access to. Granted these prizes amount to didly squat but there has been a consistant pattern emerging over the last few months and, imo, it's generating world wide negative feelings among gamers who have already "jumped in" outside of the good ol' USA. If the folks running the show at MS have any common sence at all they'd relax on getting added value for US customers and focus on the rest of us who are beggining to feel like second class purchasers.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
There is no way I would be able to qualify. I wouldn't even try anyhow. I'm gaming for the fun of it.

If I happened to qualify, I would try to get the free shit though.

goldenpp72

If microsoft wants to give me a copy of fuzion frenzy 2, a shirt, microsoft points and a free XBLA game just to do what I always do, im not going to bitch. I have never before seen someone bitch about free stuff.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
goldenpp72 said:
If microsoft wants to give me a copy of fuzion frenzy 2, a shirt, microsoft points and a free XBLA game just to do what I always do, im not going to bitch. I have never before seen someone bitch about free stuff.

I wouldn't mind a copy of fuzion frenzy 2..... :D

EDIT: In fact, now I'm starting to re-read the original post. The mood the press release elicits hints at how greater prizes will be awarded to participants in the future of this program.

I think I'm going to aim for Fuzion Frenzy 2! King Kong, here I come! Me and my buddies will have a great time with that!

goldenpp72

Make sure to read the details, only certain games will count for this 1500 points and the date isnt until the 12th.

Rhindle

Where are you getting the "only certain games count" from? I don't see any mention of that in the press release.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Reading the entire press release really helps. I'm looking at this in a new light.

In fact, I apologize for my previous bickering. This is going to be awesome! I'm all set. All I have to do is register on Feb 12!

dream

Where are you getting the "only certain games count" from?

For some Xbox Rewards Challenges, you will need to have access an Xbox 360™ console with a memory unit or a hard drive, an Xbox Live Gold or Silver-level subscription, and specific Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade games.

Chi-Town

1. Old Spice's new ad campaign is about Experience(getting it, not having it). Ties in with the concept of earning achievements.

2. The specific games mention is likely tied to future challenges(not necessarily this one).

Captain N

neonglow said:
I wish the website would update so I can sign up. I have several games just waiting to accumulate points.

Yeah, but don't forget that only select games will be able to go towards the 1,500 points.

Edit: heck, you'll probably only be able to get a certain number of points from the selected games too. I can see them spacing it out so you buy all the new releases to get the achievement points.

Kimi

Captain N said:
Yeah, but don't forget that only select games will be able to go towards the 1,500 points.

Edit: heck, you'll probably only be able to get a certain number of points from the selected games too. I can see them spacing it out so you buy all the new releases to get the achievement points.

No I don't think it's like that. Look:

Chi-Town said:
1. Old Spice's new ad campaign is about Experience(getting it, not having it). Ties in with the concept of earning achievements.

2. The specific games mention is likely tied to future challenges(not necessarily this one).

Has anyone been able to sign up yet? The link still isn't working for me.

Top Bottom