• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scarlett – why the next Xbox is going to be huge.

Mattyp

Gold Member
It's impossible to have ps3 emulation on the Ps4 at decent Framerate, if at all.
Not even God could work that miracle out. I guess MS engineers are above God...

You realise the 360 and Cell chips aren't that much different to each other right, compared to what the net thinks you would think the cell branding is from a different planet. It isn't. Look into the history of the chips and where they came from they are actually both PowerPC variations.

LOL no, you only claim exclusives are only important for console warriors because your current console of choice is losing on that front, and you're one of the biggest console warriors around. I can see you're already doing the same thing with VR... Weren't you banned for console war trash talking or did you say something else?

Of course people buy consoles based on their exclusives, multiplats being the best sellers does not clash with that fact. Multiplats are usually more mainstream whereas exclusives are usually more focused on a specific audience. As a console maker, you draw them in with your exclusives and make money off your mainstream stuff. Fact is, everyone is going to play calladooty... but people who wanna play halo are gonna play calladooty on xbox while people who want to play spiderman are gonna play calladooty on PS4. However, not everyone who plays last of us is gonna play god of war is gonna play spiderman, that's why exclusives aren't best sellers...

I've heard you make this argument multiple times and it's just as wrong every time. You really think nobody buys switch for it's exclusives? PS4 is outselling xbox almost 2:1 despite having inferior network, no BC and all sorts of other disadvantages, you really think that has nothing to do with exclusives? It's time for you to come around and admit the truth dude, exclusives certainly matter a lot to a console...

What were all these awesome exclusives that drove people to buy a PS4 in the first year? So let's not pretend loyalty, price, and good hardware at the time didn't play a major role.

Do you even know how Sony entered this business because it certainly wasn't because they had the best exclusives.

Every month I look at software sales and time and time again Nintendo is the only one who shows first party matters most. The same company who got squashed by Microsoft when they had the WiiU and got outsold by the original Xbox when they had the Gamecube.

The day I see you guys go after Nintendo with such vulgar is likely never going to happen. Sony fans have always attacked Xbox because they are essentially always selling the same box. This time Microsoft stupidly pushed Kinect and momentum built from there for the PS4. That momentum certainly did not start because of its exclusives.

Don't forget they are all turning into the same game slowly albeit different mechanics. How many of them exclusives had "partners" you had with you the entire time.

The only ones are the ones that they don't own which turn out great. Spiderman being one of them.
yep. i said that as well. they are slowly turning into the same shit

that fucking garbage where your thrown into a semi-open world area thats not exactly linear but not exactly open world. you do some shit., you get an in engine monologue/cutscene. and you do some shit

even shuhei yoshida said that the games are too similar to each other

Naughty Dog ruined playstation. every god fucking game is uncharted or last of us esque. i personally just do not enjoy this kind of games at all. which is fine. but don't make god of war or the other games like it. but damn it its too late. god of war is already that. and ghost of tsushima and days gone are already that

i can only look forward to insomniac spiderman and ratchet games.

Last edited:
I love pure fanatism from xbox lovers, yeah go on go on. Its like Sony games, vr and future is burn in flames and Microsoft absolutely wins, because they bought many good companies, they have game pass, and of course BC, OH MAN BC!!!...xbox division is always on hype level, but in reality they offer not really something different, in us market of course next xbox will have strong legs, but in other countries no way, its just different brand, and Sony have different things in mind, and if you thing that e3/bc/crossplay for casual gamer is big thing, then ok, go on go on.
Yea...What's MS thinking supporting unique games like Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Forza Horizon, Super Lucky Tails, CupHead, ect...when they need to focus on churning out 3rd person walking simulators because that's what is best for gaming. Duplicating mediocrity with social agendas on a regular basis.

gspat

The main reason I never bought into xbox one day one was that I had at least 5 different 360's (maybe more) that all RROD'd on me.

I still have one that works (last revision) but I'm afraid to move on up.

Haven't had that issue with sony.

My son has both a pro and an X... And his use is about 90/10 pro/x

Nothing on it he wants to play that he hasn't already.

gspat

It's impossible to have ps3 emulation on the Ps4 at decent Framerate, if at all.
Not even God could work that miracle out. I guess MS engineers are above God...

PS3 emulation isn't impossible. The Emulator people have proved that.

The OG ps4 is more than powerful enough, especially within it's closed system. The only thing stopping it from happening is Sony.

That being said, MS is not really any better on that front. Every game from the previous two systems should just be plug and play.

Drip feeding is for hamsters that want nothing more than running on their wheel all day because they don't know any better.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

So you're right now just blind to it all Insomniac's Stormland a open world exploration shooter, Lone Echo is a Singleplayer game.

These are not tech demos anymore, I don't know what land you live in and where your last VR experience was but VR games are not tech demos this isn't 2012. Also games stopped using teleport and swapped to dashing or just normal localmotion for movement.

WarDust a game not by a AAA dev is essentially battlefield in VR all with working tanks helis and jets. Onward is a tactical shooter like Arma. Pavlov is the CS of VR. DoomVFR is Doom in VR. Beatsaber is the Guitar Hero (including the custom songs). I can go on for days there's a fuckload of huge VR games you're just throwing away.

It sounds like you've literally never put a headset on your head.

That must be why everyone is going crazy over VR. Oh, wait! Nobody is. It is a flop. I have seen some reviews of games, many of those developed by otherwise good developers, and the latest Astrobot one. All of them look like absolute trash.

The exact same thing happened with Kinect. From the moment it was announced I thought it was trash and many people were acting all excited about it and pointing out to AAA games that used it.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

I love pure fanatism from xbox lovers, yeah go on go on. Its like Sony games, vr and future is burn in flames and Microsoft absolutely wins, because they bought many good companies, they have game pass, and of course BC, OH MAN BC!!!...xbox division is always on hype level, but in reality they offer not really something different, in us market of course next xbox will have strong legs, but in other countries no way, its just different brand, and Sony have different things in mind, and if you thing that e3/bc/crossplay for casual gamer is big thing, then ok, go on go on.

It's not fanaticism, it's reality. The best hardware, the best services, the best features, the largest number of games to play both in terms of quantity and quality. People are just happy with what they got.

Meanwhile, other people have to invent excuses, "but, but, but..... muh exclusives!"

And that exclusive list gets shorter everyday! Many games come out on Xbox after some time. Like Hellblade, Crash Bandicoot, Nier, all the Final Fantasies, etc.

Thiagosc777

I was burned by buying the launch edition of the Xbox One. I spent $500 on a console that became inferior in less than half a year to models with bigger HD space, no Kinect (and ultimately a price drop) and zero compensation for being a Day One buyer other than a worthless achievement. Nintendo may piss off a lot of people but at least they compensated early 3DS buyers with free games for their sudden price drop.
I will not be investing in an Xbox Scarlett.

I find it funny that some people are so invested in console war that they have to declare online that they won't buy a certain product.

Dude, nobody asked you to buy one. You do whatever you want.

At least your excuse for the console war wasn't "but, but but... Scalebound. That was the only game I cared about. I paid 500 dollars at launch to play Scalebound! It's true! And I will never buy Xbox ever again, because of it! Believe it!"

The OG ps4 is more than powerful enough, especially within it's closed system. The only thing stopping it from happening is Sony.

That being said, MS is not really any better on that front. Every game from the previous two systems should just be plug and play.

Drip feeding is for hamsters that want nothing more than running on their wheel all day because they don't know any better.

ps4 is not capable of emulating ps3 even with perfect coding

neither is ps4 pro

next gen will be tho. take it from a person that knows what they are talking about

You can't just make that happen. Some games need permission first from the publisher, others have music licenses that expired. Others date back to Nvidia partnerships and paying them my for the original Xbox games.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
What were all these awesome exclusives that drove people to buy a PS4 in the first year? So let's not pretend loyalty, price, and good hardware at the time didn't play a major role.

Do you even know how Sony entered this business because it certainly wasn't because they had the best exclusives.

Every month I look at software sales and time and time again Nintendo is the only one who shows first party matters most. The same company who got squashed by Microsoft when they had the WiiU and got outsold by the original Xbox when they had the Gamecube.

The day I see you guys go after Nintendo with such vulgar is likely never going to happen. Sony fans have always attacked Xbox because they are essentially always selling the same box. This time Microsoft stupidly pushed Kinect and momentum built from there for the PS4. That momentum certainly did not start because of its exclusives.
I think you and Bangs are both right. He's right in saying that those who want to play CoD and then Spiderman or GoW go with the PS4. Those who want to play CoD and Halo or Gear, go with Xbox. Exclusives do matter - else Microsoft wouldnt be going in the current direction to gather more First party narrative driven dev houses who specialize in specifically that.

But the beginning of this generation - that certainly wasnt the case. Microsoft definitely had more exclusives but lacked power, tried to push Kinect (MMA workout was beast for the device) was more expensive, there was the DRM fiasco and they tried to push TV more than games. But I'll go one better; Microsoft did mention that the first initial presentation WAS NOT E3 and that's where the games would be. When E3 came around, they had plenty of games -- but the damage had been done.

In the current market, exclusives are important but, the numbers don't lie. Multiplatform games are where the money is made - no question. It's been proven far too many times to deny it. Exclusives have a role to play in the grand scheme of things but they dont have the defining power they once did for consoles. Now it's all about services and ecosystems.

Last edited:
That must be why everyone is going crazy over VR. Oh, wait! Nobody is. It is a flop. I have seen some reviews of games, many of those developed by otherwise good developers, and the latest Astrobot one. All of them look like absolute trash.

The exact same thing happened with Kinect. From the moment it was announced I thought it was trash and many people were acting all excited about it and pointing out to AAA games that used it.
If you think looking at some videos of a VR game gives you any credibility, then you should become a food critic and see how long you hold the job for by not going to restaurants to try the food, but instead reviewing based off quick research on videos and other reviews.

It's looking like you're just really upset you can't afford it. Either that or you don't like new things.

Last edited:

gspat

You can't just make that happen. Some games need permission first from the publisher, others have music licenses that expired. Others date back to Nvidia partnerships and paying them my for the original Xbox games.
Yes you can, as long as you play the original disc with the original game. The way they were meant to be played.

All the other BS you talk about only applies to our wonderful new fully digital future.

I only read about half of this thread, but I hope everybody here wishes success for both Sony and MS. Having these two companies at each other's throats is the best for gamers.

You don't want to be a console gamer when there's only one game in town in the powerhouse race.

I think you and Bangs are both right. He's right in saying that those who want to play CoD and then Spiderman or GoW go with the PS4. Those who want to play CoD and Halo or Gear, go with Xbox. Exclusives do matter - else Microsoft wouldnt be going in the current direction to gather more First party narrative driven dev houses who specialize in specifically that.

But the beginning of this generation - that certainly wasnt the case. Microsoft definitely had more exclusives but lacked power, tried to push Kinect (MMA workout was beast for the device) was more expensive, there was the DRM fiasco and they tried to push TV more than games. But I'll go one better; Microsoft did mention that the first initial presentation WAS NOT E3 and that's where the games would be. When E3 came around, they had plenty of games -- but the damage had been done.

In the current market, exclusives are important but, the numbers don't lie. Multiplatform games are where the money is made - no question. It's been proven far too many times to deny it. Exclusives have a role to play in the grand scheme of things but they dont have the defining power they once did for consoles. Now it's all about services and ecosystems.

1. Sony has generated a better brand all around, they deserve some respect fur that.

2. The bad PR prelaunch along with inferior hardware and higher price made it extremely difficult to go against the PS4 which developers finally liked working on.

3. I think Microsoft had the better games in the beginning but it had too much against it.

Look, nobody likes to support a loser. There was too much change and drama surrounding the Xbox One and nothing against the PS4 aside from average exclusives.

Phil Spencer has been spending most of his time trying to rebrand themselves. It was too late to stop Sony and by then Sony was firing on all cylinders. They still managed to kick the WiiU to the curb and survive such a good selling system. Look back at the PS 2 and see just how well the Xbox One has been hanging in there.

They are very set for next gen and what the fanboys ignore is we all want strong competition. They will continue to downplay and attack them because that's what fanboys do. If they ignored Microsoft then you know that they are not doing anything worth mentioning.

I'm pretty sure that PS5 will come sooner than the next Xbox. Xbox One X was just released year ago.

Why would Sony bring out there next generation console before Microsoft when their system is still selling so well? Microsoft was preparing for next generation at this past E3 by basically acknowledging they are pretty much done with this generation.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Guys....guys.

Microsoft messed up and now they have a lot to prove. All this talk is kinda silly IMO. When they start walking the walk, let's have another go. Until then, you'll never be sure of anything. It's all speculation, no matter how good their "direction" looks.

Shmunter

Guys....guys.

Microsoft messed up and now they have a lot to prove. All this talk is kinda silly IMO. When they start walking the walk, let's have another go. Until then, you'll never be sure of anything. It's all speculation, no matter how good their "direction" looks.

Indeed. I hope they succeed. The 360 era was what got me into gaming proper, hats off to Microsoft.

At this time the summary is thusly...

Games as a service push - Bad microsoft
Focusing on building first party - Good microsoft
Dismissing gaming VR - Bad microsoft
Acknowledging console power matters - Good microsoft

Now we need to see how this plays out for the impending next gen....

sendit

You can lol. Don't need a PS4 for Sony exclusives either you can use PSNow to play them.

Xbox doesn't care if you don't buy a Xbox that's not the point. The Xbox brand isn't a console anymore it's a service, and that includes mobile phones and the Switch and PC.

If you're an Xbox user that's all they care about.

You sir are very misinformed on what PSNow is.

Dipsed

First comment ever on the Gaf!! I've been getting gaming news from here for almost 5 years finally decided to register an account. :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:

Going to be very interesting next gen
The xb1 out of the gate was an absolute trainwreck and Sony had the better offer at the time so large chunks migrated over.

I think next gen is going to come down to whoever has the best games on launch
And by all accounts both companies are throwing large amounts of money and resource at this.

My gut feel is I think ms will find their feet again as they have learned their lesson about a console launch and as of today they have made one of the best consoles ever and have many great pro consumer options....they get the first party right and it should roll over to a positive result.

On a side note
If Sony are going balls deep on this vr shit for ps5...I think there will be many people jumping back over...completely misread the market and what consumers want.

I’m sure the next generation Xbox console will be excellent with a lot to offer, but what are they really be offering that Sony doesn’t have or will have that will make a significant dent to the competition?

Gamepass is definitely a good service, but I feel that Sony will become more competitive with PSNow which already is starting to allow the ability to download games.

Online service imo will be close again with very similar features and applications.

Exclusives? Again I’m sure they acquired some good and proficient companies to produce exclusives for the console, but will they be up to the standards set by Sony and Nintendo? That remains to be seen and Sony and Nintendo got the track record and consistency to prove it. Will the Xbox demographic even embrace these exclusives and will Microsoft give these few franchises a chance if they do not sell millions?

First to market. Again after the Sega Dreamcast, it proved that some people are willing to wait to see what the competitor is offering especially if both consoles will most likely be so close to each other.

Backwards compability. Again, is this even a contributing factor to most gamers considering Sony is still outselling Microsoft 3 to 1 with that critically acclaimed feature. I think most people exaggerate the importance of backwards compability. Also, there is a rumor about PS5 getting backwards compability as well, so if they happens then what?

Yes you can, as long as you play the original disc with the original game. The way they were meant to be played.

All the other BS you talk about only applies to our wonderful new fully digital future.

BS? It's better to have something than nothing at all, only to then sell a PSOne mini after telling everyone nobody wants to play all those outdated games.

Microsoft is pushing to have your library carry over from generation to generation. The only BS is your attitude.

quickwhips

I really hope Scarlett’s is just the high end model of the Xbox one x and the Xbox one x becomes the low end model. I think it would be amazing. Keep in simple and make the interface have a face lift. Also grips on all controllers and split them to work with your phone.

Gavon West

I only read about half of this thread, but I hope everybody here wishes success for both Sony and MS. Having these two companies at each other's throats is the best for gamers.

You don't want to be a console gamer when there's only one game in town in the powerhouse race.
True. On the software side, just take a look at Madden. No competition equals essentially the same game every year! Sheesh!

gspat

BS? It's better to have something than nothing at all, only to then sell a PSOne mini after telling everyone nobody wants to play all those outdated games.

Microsoft is pushing to have your library carry over from generation to generation. The only BS is your attitude.
So you agree then than sometimes "Nothing at all" is the better choice then.

Awesome!

So you agree then than sometimes "Nothing at all" is the better choice then.

Awesome!

So we shouldn't be buying any digital games from Sony is really what you're saying. Awsome, thanks for the heads up.

I also laugh at the sentiment the way they are supposed to be played like we are supposed to have multiple systems laying around for decades. Go play a game like Crackdown and Red Dead Redemption on the X and tell me again how it's not the way it's supposed to be played.

SaviourMK2

I find it funny that some people are so invested in console war that they have to declare online that they won't buy a certain product.

Dude, nobody asked you to buy one. You do whatever you want.

At least your excuse for the console war wasn't "but, but but... Scalebound. That was the only game I cared about. I paid 500 dollars at launch to play Scalebound! It's true! And I will never buy Xbox ever again, because of it! Believe it!"

What does me getting burned by Microsoft for buying a day one Xbox have to do with console wars?

EDMIX

Ready Payer One headset

mx9taxj29pjfpwaqpwrh.jpg

Old People sunglasses

old-4-300x225.jpg

lol but that is going to be us in the future playing dat Resident Evil 25, the return of Wesker lol

gspat

So we shouldn't be buying any digital games from Sony is really what you're saying. Awsome, thanks for the heads up.

I also laugh at the sentiment the way they are supposed to be played like we are supposed to have multiple systems laying around for decades. Go play a game like Crackdown and Red Dead Redemption on the X and tell me again how it's not the way it's supposed to be played.
Shouldn't is too strong a word... You do you.

I'm just very leery of any product, on any "format" that I can't reasonably trust to be around in a good number of years.

With half the assets replaced or just outright removed because... legal/sensitivity reasons.

Again.... You do you.

PS: I wasn't going anywhere near the PS mini (My Opinion - I don't care for it. It should be loaded games that defined the system. It should be a fun little system to hold us over until the next gen is out), but at least it's something.

Norse

It's pretty simple in the USA. Cheaper launch price is King when systems are equal power. If the more powerful system is cheaper it's an even greater advantage. That is why PS4 beat Xbox one. It had nothing to do with exclusives even though extreme gamers that live in these forums like to think so.

The switch is only doing well due to it's portability. If it were just a living room console it'd be dead already.

lynux3

Are you high??? You ARE AWARE that Microsoft OWNS Azure servers, right??? By default that gives Microsoft the edge when it comes to streaming. It's not that you cant see the major differences. You seem like a smart fella -- it's because you dont want to. Now THAT'S unfortunate.
What does Azure have anything to do with Microsoft's streaming technology? They're literally taking Xbox One S boards and throwing them in blades and then racking them to interface with their streaming boxes. This isn't unlike PlayStation Now at all... it's actually very similar setup. Are you aware that PlayStation Now is hosted at AWS? A cloud provider that's currently bigger than Azure?

Data center is besides the point. You're downplaying PlayStation Now, but somehow expect Microsoft to deliver some superior experience that currently doesn't even exist outside of Microsoft. No one knows what the quality of the image or latency will be. Like I said, you're in for a rude awakening.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This is within the context of next gen. VR will be mainstream during the next generation, which means many people will care about it, and the console without VR will be at a big disadvantage.

VR is dead, give up on the first aid, you’ve done a well job, and there’s nothing more you can do. Let it go.

Last edited:

EDMIX

yep. i said that as well. they are slowly turning into the same shit

that fucking garbage where your thrown into a semi-open world area thats not exactly linear but not exactly open world. you do some shit., you get an in engine monologue/cutscene. and you do some shit

even shuhei yoshida said that the games are too similar to each other

Naughty Dog ruined playstation. every god fucking game is uncharted or last of us esque. i personally just do not enjoy this kind of games at all. which is fine. but don't make god of war or the other games like it. but damn it its too late. god of war is already that. and ghost of tsushima and days gone are already that

i can only look forward to insomniac spiderman and ratchet games.

huh? The thing is, what you are talking about is so broad and vague it can apply to any game.

So you get a in engine scene, maybe open world......sir that can apply to literally hundreds of games.

So make one with no cutscenes? Oh make some where its not as good of a narrative? Better yet, when you say don't make certain games like it, what exactly are you classify as "it"?

As someone that played Uncharted, The Last Of Us and the new God Of War, they are nothing a like in terms of gameplay.

The areas where they are alike is basically generally how gaming is made.

Both are on earth, might have humans, open areas sometimes, cut scenes, 3rd person.....

So I don't know what to say as I don't get what "it" is that you are talking about. The game you are talking about are not even the same genre, you don't even do the same stuff in really any of the games talked about....

Shmunter

W
VR is dead, give up on the first aid, you’ve done a well job, and there’s nothing more you can do. Let it go.

Who made you Donald Trump to proclaim such?

No, I get it. It hasn’t met commercial expectations, but we are in the Game boy mono era of the tech. Give it time. Certainly nothing ever will come off it without some pioneering effort.

EDMIX

It's pretty simple in the USA. Cheaper launch price is King when systems are equal power. If the more powerful system is cheaper it's an even greater advantage. That is why PS4 beat Xbox one. It had nothing to do with exclusives even though extreme gamers that live in these forums like to think so.

The switch is only doing well due to it's portability. If it were just a living room console it'd be dead already.

Yea. I'd say no to both of that.

Software is a key factory into that. Switch isn't just selling only based on being a portable. How is PS Vita doing right now? Well its portable so?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
W

Who made you Donald Trump to proclaim such?

No, I get it. It hasn’t met commercial expectations, but we are in the Game boy mono era of the tech. Give it time. Certainly nothing ever will come off it without some pioneering effort.

When you think about how many PS4's there are, PS VR is pretty dead. Even all the PC headsets are more or less dead.

We still need to see good VR titles. We still need to solve the sickness by using these headsets.

I really liked 3D in gaming. See where that is. It became a annoying gimmick for most people because of the glasses, and it's the same case for Virtual Reality.

Boss Mog

All the stuff in the OP kinda reads like propaganda. I seriously doubt they can win me back, especially if PS5 is backward compatible. The quality of their once great IPs like Halo and Gears has dropped considerably since the original devs quit those franchises. If game pass becomes a big deal, nothing is preventing Sony from doing something similar so I don't really see it as an advantage.

Really the only thing that might sell me is if it's more powerful than PS5 and offers better framerates in multiplatform games.

Gavon West

All the stuff in the OP kinda reads like propaganda. I seriously doubt they can win me back, especially if PS5 is backward compatible. The quality of their once great IPs like Halo and Gears has dropped considerably since the original devs quit those franchises. If game pass becomes a big deal, nothing is preventing Sony from doing something similar so I don't really see it as an advantage.

Really the only thing that might sell me is if it's more powerful than PS5 and offers better framerates in multiplatform games.
You may wanna get your $500 smacks ready then...

This is within the context of next gen. VR will be mainstream during the next generation, which means many people will care about it, and the console without VR will be at a big disadvantage.

VR will be as mainstream as 3D imo. Sure, it will get a little boost in user base potentially, but I do not see a high attach rate unless they force it in the system which will inevitably lead to a higher cost console. Also, VR needs more than shallow, tech demo games to become mainstream and a cheaper cost.

Shmunter

When you think about how many PS4's there are, PS VR is pretty dead. Even all the PC headsets are more or less dead.

We still need to see good VR titles. We still need to solve the sickness by using these headsets.

I really liked 3D in gaming. See where that is. It became a annoying gimmick for most people because of the glasses, and it's the same case for Virtual Reality.

I can’t speak to sales as I haven’t done my homework.

But reagarding games, there are good ones. Farpoint campaign for example is probably a better price of entertainment than a Battlefield campaign. Firewall Zero hour is extremely addictive and repayable, there is never a time I’m not in a full lobby within a minute. And these are just some examples, and all first generation. The head spins for what may come next gen.

As far as sickness, there’s only one solution. And that is to find your Sealegs. I too felt queasy at the beginning. Now nothing can phase me. Because the experience is so effective, it will have profound effects on people until they build up callouses over time, I don’t think there is a shortcut to this.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

You may wanna get your $500 smacks ready then...

To be honest, I would gladly pay 800 bucks for a powerful console. These days people spend more than that on a phone they change every 1 to 3 years. I really believe the market has changed and the kids that grew up on videogames are now adults with buying power and they're willing to invest a lot more into a console then what their parent's were willing to, as they just saw it as a toy for their kid, not worth spending a lot on.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

You realise the 360 and Cell chips aren't that much different to each other right, compared to what the net thinks you would think the cell branding is from a different planet. It isn't. Look into the history of the chips and where they came from they are actually both PowerPC variations.
They are very different, just because they both use power pc architecture as base it doesn't mean they are the same thing.
Xbox 360 has 3 normal power pc cores doing cpu stuff and gpu doing gpu stuff.
Ps3 has a power pc core with an extended instruction set and 7 RISC-like mini cores with their own instruction set that needed to be coded for individually to get the most out of the platform. Sony has a ps3 emulator but decided to build ps3 farms for ps now for a reason. You need a high end gaming pc to run ps3 emulation, and a flawed emulation, and you expect the mobile toaster cpu of the PS4 to be able to handle that?

Yea. I'd say no to both of that.

Software is a key factory into that. Switch isn't just selling only based on being a portable. How is PS Vita doing right now? Well its portable so?

Software is key? Gamecube and WiiU would like a word with you. You think Nintendo magically became better developers during the Wii then drooped then became good again? Ko, it's called also coming out with compelling hardware that is unique.

All you guys want to do is highlight exclusives as though it means you're in some special club to identify yourself with. Sony entered the console business by getting third party relations. They did not have great studios that could compete against Nintendo at the time.

The PS4 also did not have a great lineup of exclusives in the beginning. Killzone was not very good and Knack was terrible. The highlight was an indie title. So save your Sony is holier than though attitude.

They are very different, just because they both use power pc architecture as base it doesn't mean they are the same thing.
Xbox 360 has 3 normal power pc cores doing cpu stuff and gpu doing gpu stuff.
Ps3 has a power pc core with an extended instruction set and 7 RISC-like mini cores with their own instruction set that needed to be coded for individually to get the most out of the platform. Sony has a ps3 emulator but decided to build ps3 farms for ps now for a reason. You need a high end gaming pc to run ps3 emulation, and a flawed emulation, and you expect the mobile toaster cpu of the PS4 to be able to handle that?

Sony also made a business decision to not offer PS2 and PS One BC, that's why I wonder if they will even bother with PS4 BC on the PS5. Seems to me Sony is all about generating as much profits as it can. Don't blame them after the PS3 almost bankrupt the entire company.

I think it was the Xbox 360 that woke up the giant and Sony finally decided to get away from the proprietary nonsense. Even the PS3 struggled to get PS2 BC going. They had to essentially install the Emotion Engine did they not? Wasn't that why they dropped it, it cost too much?

It also was not easy for Microsoft to get BC on the Xbox 360 but they did it it to a degree. That's the difference in both companies. Microsoft also upstaged them on the Xbox One X and built in improvememts that happen on the hardware. By comparison it took Sony months to even get Boost Mode going and supersampling was not guaranteed.

Arun1910

Well outside of 3rd party, Sony's matchmaking games are extremely limited in number and not the greatest quality. I don't know why Sony fans always dismiss that - like multiplayer games don't count or something. Ridicule me all you want, but Sony will never have a Halo or a Gears on it. People love to mock the xbox for only being a halo, gears, forza box, and yet those games are exactly what keep people coming back. The xbox has a pretty big fan base.

Sure, people keep coming back, but imo the only reason I would buy an Xbox is because it's the more powerful console, not because of Gears or Halo. Those games aren't great at all in my eyes and not for the majority of people it seems. Take this as an example, these games released in 2015/2016, Metacritic Scores:

Gears of War 4 = 86 Meta (6.9 User Review, 1079 Ratings)
Halo 5 = 84 Meta (6.5 User Review, 2713 Ratings)

Uncharted 4 = 93 (8.3 User Review, 9270 Ratings)

And then take into account their Sales

Uncharted 4 = 2.7 Million in 1 week
Halo 5 = 1.46 Million in 1 week
Gears of War 4 = 617K in 1 Week

I can see people are going to say I'm Microsoft bashing already, but I'm just countering your argument. The Xbox has power going for it, but quality of first party games and sales of first party games are always in Sony's corner. Multiplayer games count, sure, but only if they are good quality.

Sources:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/5223...first-week-sales-2-7-million-units/index.html
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/262144/halo-5-guardians-sells-an-estimated-146m-first-week/
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/266...an-estimated-617k-units-first-week-at-retail/

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Many gamers have had PlayStation sinse ps1, so why would they jump into xbox vagon?

All friends from psn, games, ps+, loyalty and so on.

And xbox has shitty controller that many hate(and fanboys like).

They should just do controller for non-mutant hands, aka symmetric sticks.

Xbox controller sucks because of stick placement, which is alone a reason not to care about the whole system

Top Bottom