• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scarlett – why the next Xbox is going to be huge.

Kerotan

The big problem is nothing really that different Sony won't offer with the next playstation IMO
I never understand why people don't think Sony can also do whatever MS do. PS now has more potential then gamepass. BC can easily be on ps5. They can do a streaming only ps5 sku and they have better games. Not to mention the xbox brand is damaged beyond repair in so many countries.

Many gamers have had PlayStation sinse ps1, so why would they jump into xbox vagon?

All friends from psn, games, ps+, loyalty and so on.

And xbox has shitty controller that many hate(and fanboys like).

They should just do controller for non-mutant hands, aka symmetric sticks.

Xbox controller sucks because of stick placement, which is alone a reason not to care about the whole system

You mean the controller design everyone else mimics, including Nintendo and their Pro controller?

MilkyJoe

I never understand why people don't think Sony can also do whatever MS do. PS now has more potential then gamepass. BC can easily be on ps5. They can do a streaming only ps5 sku and they have better games. Not to mention the xbox brand is damaged beyond repair in so many countries.

And yet they don't....

PS Now is a failure isn't it? *googles* yes it appears so

Arun1910

You mean the controller design everyone else mimics, including Nintendo and their Pro controller?

I actually love the stick placement. Xbox was my go-to last gen, was even thinking of getting an Xbox Controller for my PC but then it kind of seems redundant if I can use a mouse. PS4 did stick up their game this gen though, I do like the DS4, way better than the DS3.

Thiagosc777

If you think looking at some videos of a VR game gives you any credibility, then you should become a food critic and see how long you hold the job for by not going to restaurants to try the food, but instead reviewing based off quick research on videos and other reviews.

It's looking like you're just really upset you can't afford it. Either that or you don't like new things.

Ok, then. VR is a mystery and no one can show or articulate how good it is. Only the chosen few are capable of understanding it.

It's no surprise it is a flop. They can't even communicate why you'd want one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ok, then. VR is a mystery and no one can show or articulate how good it is. Only the chosen few are capable of understanding it.

I wouldn't say VR has been a flop, the speed of uptake was just hugely overestimated by the media, who as per usual mostly don't have a fucking clue.

Remember when these same fools were convinced that Xbox was a lock for winning this generation, and how titles like Evolve and Titanfall were going to be huge. The same people who to this day refuse to admit that Gamergate only became a thing because they'd already lost touch with their audience, and since then have doubled-down on their error by adopting a peculiarly antagonistic relationship hence-forth.

Being honest, I think one of the major reasons for Xbox struggling at the start of the gen was because they made the mistake of listening to the press over their own core audience.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Being honest, I think one of the major reasons for Xbox struggling at the start of the gen was because they made the mistake of listening to the press over their own core audience.

Xbox's problem was lack of understanding what a GAMING console was, having it underpowered to the competition, and not having exclusives that are well received by gamers both in sales and score (I posted a Metacritic/Sales post on the last page detailing that).

If Xbox came out with a console focused on gaming and pushed from the START for better exclusives, they could have won, or at least not be dragging so far behind.

I think the One X is a great piece of kit, I think Microsoft gaining more Devs is a great thing, but it happened way too late. They pushed for something that no one wanted to try and MAKE it something people wanted, it didn't work.

Their mistake wasn't the press, it was just their own ideals.

sendit

Indeed. I hope they succeed. The 360 era was what got me into gaming proper, hats off to Microsoft.

At this time the summary is thusly...

Games as a service push - Bad microsoft
Focusing on building first party - Good microsoft
Dismissing gaming VR - Bad microsoft
Acknowledging console power matters - Good microsoft

Now we need to see how this plays out for the impending next gen....

I think I'm in the minority here, but I do not mind games as a service. EA Access has been awesome (99 dollars for a whole year. I've already got my moneys worth playing Fifa 19, Madden 19, Battlefield V, and ). Microsoft game-pass has been awesome.
Sony also made a business decision to not offer PS2 and PS One BC, that's why I wonder if they will even bother with PS4 BC on the PS5. Seems to me Sony is all about generating as much profits as it can. Don't blame them after the PS3 almost bankrupt the entire company.

I think it was the Xbox 360 that woke up the giant and Sony finally decided to get away from the proprietary nonsense. Even the PS3 struggled to get PS2 BC going. They had to essentially install the Emotion Engine did they not? Wasn't that why they dropped it, it cost too much?

It also was not easy for Microsoft to get BC on the Xbox 360 but they did it it to a degree. That's the difference in both companies. Microsoft also upstaged them on the Xbox One X and built in improvememts that happen on the hardware. By comparison it took Sony months to even get Boost Mode going and supersampling was not guaranteed.
Sony also made a business decision to not offer PS2 and PS One BC, that's why I wonder if they will even bother with PS4 BC on the PS5. Seems to me Sony is all about generating as much profits as it can. Don't blame them after the PS3 almost bankrupt the entire company.

I think it was the Xbox 360 that woke up the giant and Sony finally decided to get away from the proprietary nonsense. Even the PS3 struggled to get PS2 BC going. They had to essentially install the Emotion Engine did they not? Wasn't that why they dropped it, it cost too much?

It also was not easy for Microsoft to get BC on the Xbox 360 but they did it it to a degree. That's the difference in both companies. Microsoft also upstaged them on the Xbox One X and built in improvememts that happen on the hardware. By comparison it took Sony months to even get Boost Mode going and supersampling was not guaranteed.

By law of natural order, Xbox One X was released a year later and at a higher price point. Did you expect the specs to be equivalent or worse? Come on now......It would have been impressive if the PS4 Pro and XB1X where released during the same time frame at roughly the same price. But that certainly didnt happen.

mejin

People who think next gen will start with Sony and MS on equal terms are deluding themselves. That's why they don't understand why after so many promises from MS, last and this year, Xbox sales aren't better than they expect. It deserves more or, at least, they believe in some kind of unfair reaction from the market. But in their own metrics, MS is doing good with Xbox. Brand is stronger now on US and UK, but when we think about worldwide, they really have a long way to go. They clearly have a path this time, but people just prefer what Sony offers right now.

Anyway, I'm hopeful for a better competition next time, so Sony and MS can bring more interesting first party games for all.

Last edited:

It's not a flop. You've been unable to prove this and will continue to be unable to do so because nothing suggests this.
And it's not about the chosen few. It's about literally just using it first hand. This is a marketing barrier, but can be overcome.

VR will be as mainstream as 3D imo. Sure, it will get a little boost in user base potentially, but I do not see a high attach rate unless they force it in the system which will inevitably lead to a higher cost console. Also, VR needs more than shallow, tech demo games to become mainstream and a cheaper cost.
Bigger games are releasing, and the prices are dropping. VR also has a lot of standalone systems coming out now, which is the true future of the medium. During the next generation, these will likely be selling just as much as consoles themselves.

VR is dead, give up on the first aid, you’ve done a well job, and there’s nothing more you can do. Let it go.
Sure, if you say so. Unfortunately for you, reality doesn't agree.

When you think about how many PS4's there are, PS VR is pretty dead. Even all the PC headsets are more or less dead.

We still need to see good VR titles. We still need to solve the sickness by using these headsets.

I really liked 3D in gaming. See where that is. It became a annoying gimmick for most people because of the glasses, and it's the same case for Virtual Reality.
The number of PS4's in relation to PSVR doesn't mean much for it's success. Sony and everyone else in the industry is not judging success by those measures. They are judging success by the expected adoption rate (not install base percentage) for a generation 1 product. Because it's gen 1, it's meant to be niche.

And there are plenty of good VR games, and pretty much everyone who owns a VR headset knowing what they should look for agrees.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I really hope it's gonna be huge. For some reason I love big computers and they tend to be quieter than small ones.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
I would argue that 2 years ago but not now and there are several reasons for that.

Gamepass is legit.
You can't compare it to PS+ at all. In PS+ you usually have old games you already played and if by chance you do not have subscription in certain month then some games will not be available to you. By comparison in Gamepass you can play any new MS exclusive and various other games MS signs day one. Not only that but also you can just sign out of it if you played what you wanted and come back later, unlike like in PS+ all games release will be in your library.
The biggest change though is that Gamepass as MAIN way to deliver exlusive games from MS will mean that MS will have to branch out into different other genres of games. Which is why they for example bought out Inxile and Obsidian who make RPG games.

Backward compatibility.
Right now every new game on Xbox is done via their DX12 stack which automatically means all of their games will be playable on XboxTwo. Then there is X360 library which gets improved on monthly basis.

MS has superior VR.
While MS has been bumbling around in AR they quietly released Windows Mixed Reality standard and seems like everyone jumped on it. You can use it with both Steam and Oculus APIs which also means they for sure will use it with XboxTwo. It is cheap and very good (much better quality than Sony VR headset)

MS exclusives.
This was the sore point of MS and anyone who actually wanted to consider it. Sure they have amazing racing games but other than that hardly anything. Getting inxile/obsidian and giving them money to make big budget games will give very good RPGs. Aside from that they aquired shitload of other important devs and made new dev studios from scratch. We had rumors about japan Xbox division setting up same thing they had in x360 era where they produced shitload of good jrpgs. It is clear that they aproach is completely different and they might have huge chance to redo their problem in that area.

Windows and Xbox as a service.

This is the point no one seems to notice. Since half of this gen MS has been releasing every single MS exclusive on PC and it looks like they will be transforming from console to kind of an API. Meaning that games released on Xbox store will be playable on both PC and XboxTwo + their streaming service. Basically it means that as long as you have capable PC you have an Xbox. Which means that every single game sold will look at Console + Windows + streaming service sales.
That increased reach also means that a lot more people will talk about games, stream game play, talk on forums etc. Which means it will be self accelerating mechanism of reach. This is key reason why XboxOne sold so little. Not enough people to motivate other people to buy it which is just spiral of death.

First to release.
This is crucial. MS already openly talked about next gen console and it is clear they will be releasing it next year.
Whoever gets first will get couple million people and they will have guarantee that whoever comes later will not have stronger hardware because we would jump from 14nm to 7nm in node process and next jump will be years later.

Simply put Sony right now is in good situtation but if MS plays its cards right and deliver above they will easily outsell next PS5. What is more important Sony doesn't really have such answer. At best they can basically rally on their exlusives but as we saw this gen they don't release much games like they used to. They still have banger or two though.

Blam

You sir are very misinformed on what PSNow is.

Not really it's a streaming service to play a select library of ps3/ps4/ps2 games that's being run by GaiKai. It recently introduced downloading the games from the service. Am I wrong? Or does it do my chores too.

LOL 2016 was freaking 2 years ago. You talk like a company culture can completely change within that time. Did Microsoft tell you that through their marketing? lol Time to get real.

Linkedin and Github have been functioning very well when they were acquired. Linkedin is a lot worse as a number of items have been monetized behind their paywall, but professionals have to use it because there's nothing else, and you can bet Github, which isn't very profitable, to be turned into something the users won't pay for. Microsoft defenders always like to talk about the Nokia patents, but numbers have shown that it was not enough to justify how much they have spent trying to make the second Windows Phone generation work. Just keep up ignoring how badly Microsoft handles company acquisitions in both gaming and non-gaming.

Company Culture can change with that time. I'm sorry you've never had the pleasure of working at large company like that. I don't pay attention to advertising by anyone unless they some how make it past my adblock. Linkedin is a gold mine for money so it makes sense that Microsoft needs to make their money back somehow. Github isn't going to be turned into a some haven for microsoft to hold source code hostage. Anyone who didn't like the buyout left to Gitlab. It's not going to change at all. Pretty sure they said they would never try to push anything like that on Github.

They bought Mixer and now it's built into Windows, Xbox, and it's an excellent streaming site. Nokia has phones coming out which are all being reviewed well, and sure Microsoft tried to get into a closed ecosystem like Apple and calmly backed the fuck out once they saw how hard it was to manufacture your own shit all by yourself.

Could you please provide some examples of their recent poorly handled acquisitions.

yep. i said that as well. they are slowly turning into the same shit

that fucking garbage where your thrown into a semi-open world area thats not exactly linear but not exactly open world. you do some shit., you get an in engine monologue/cutscene. and you do some shit

even shuhei yoshida said that the games are too similar to each other

Naughty Dog ruined playstation. every god fucking game is uncharted or last of us esque. i personally just do not enjoy this kind of games at all. which is fine. but don't make god of war or the other games like it. but damn it its too late. god of war is already that. and ghost of tsushima and days gone are already that

i can only look forward to insomniac spiderman and ratchet games.

There's really only a select few that make Sony exclusives that can do something different, it's dumb but everyone wants that Last of Us/Uncharted money. God of War could have been much better, but well look how it turned out lol.

That must be why everyone is going crazy over VR. Oh, wait! Nobody is. It is a flop. I have seen some reviews of games, many of those developed by otherwise good developers, and the latest Astrobot one. All of them look like absolute trash.

The exact same thing happened with Kinect. From the moment it was announced I thought it was trash and many people were acting all excited about it and pointing out to AAA games that used it.

Oh yeah that's why the VR systems are still selling and becoming cheaper. It's failing so much Apple and Google are working on VR, and it's failing so much that basically any major company has a VR division now haha you're being extremely narrow minded. It's not a flop. Which games have you looked at "reviews" for. It sounds like you're looking at PSVR games lmao, and a lot of those are standing forward experiences, and I was talking about outside of PSVR which you're sorta latched onto. Once again you are backing your self onto a hill on which you seem to have literally no experience on. Do you have any VR headsets? Have you even tried google cardboard?

No the exact same thing didn't happen with kinect. You're being seriously stupid. Kinect was stupid but the tech was good. That's all it was it was used in VR and it actually sorta paved the way for inside out tracking. Kinect isn't a new platform. It's an extension of a current one. VR is it's own thing.

Maybe you should goto a MS Store and try it out, and then come back to talk to me.

Since it seems the only damn game you can talk about is Astrobot. Which I've never till now brought up lmao. Your entire experience with VR sounds like it came from PSVR.

This is the point no one seems to notice. Since half of this gen MS has been releasing every single MS exclusive on PC and it looks like they will be transforming from console to kind of an API. Meaning that games released on Xbox store will be playable on both PC and XboxTwo + their streaming service. Basically it means that as long as you have capable PC you have an Xbox. Which means that every single game sold will look at Console + Windows + streaming service sales.
That increased reach also means that a lot more people will talk about games, stream game play, talk on forums etc. Which means it will be self accelerating mechanism of reach. This is key reason why XboxOne sold so little. Not enough people to motivate other people to buy it which is just spiral of death.

It's sorta crazy how many times I've had to explain to people that Xbox stopped caring about selling consoles and just increasing users. That's why the XBX was priced $100 higher then the Pro. They weren't looking to compete. They are looking for users, and consoles don't push too much revenue compared to a customer who buys their games on any platform. That's why FH4 sold so fucking well in 3 sales making it to the top 3 in the UK. On just $100 editions of the game.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Oh yeah that's why the VR systems are still selling and becoming cheaper. It's failing so much Apple and Google are working on VR, and it's failing so much that basically any major company has a VR division now haha you're being extremely narrow minded. It's not a flop. Which games have you looked at "reviews" for. It sounds like you're looking at PSVR games lmao, and a lot of those are standing forward experiences, and I was talking about outside of PSVR which you're sorta latched onto. Once again you are backing your self onto a hill on which you seem to have literally no experience on. Do you have any VR headsets? Have you even tried google cardboard?

No the exact same thing didn't happen with kinect. You're being seriously stupid. Kinect was stupid but the tech was good. That's all it was it was used in VR and it actually sorta paved the way for inside out tracking. Kinect isn't a new platform. It's an extension of a current one. VR is it's own thing.

Maybe you should goto a MS Store and try it out, and then come back to talk to me.

Since it seems the only damn game you can talk about is Astrobot. Which I've never till now brought up lmao. Your entire experience with VR sounds like it came from PSVR.

I am going to say the same thing I used to say when Kinect was "the hot new thing". How do you play Halo with it? The answer should tell you if it is good or not.

Blam

I am going to say the same thing I used to say when Kinect was "the hot new thing". How do you play Halo with it? The answer should tell you if it is good or not.
Well lucky for you there's literally a Halo Game for the WMR headsets. Regardless wait till Halo Infinite and you'll probably be able to play it officially in VR. If you can't wait then ElDewrito supports VorpX so you can use it in VR.

Also thanks for answering with more questions clearly shows that you are winning this lol

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Well lucky for you there's literally a Halo Game for the WMR headsets. Regardless wait till Halo Infinite and you'll probably be able to play it officially in VR. If you can't wait then ElDewrito supports VorpX so you can use it in VR.

Also thanks for answering with more questions clearly shows that you are winning this lol

Ok, then. Hey guys, you heard here first! VR is massive success and it even has a main Halo game for it, with gameplay that doesn't make you want to vomit. Further information with Blam. MS forgot to show it at E3 or XO, but it exists. The real thing FPS goodness.

/s

Blam

Ok, then. Hey guys, you heard here first! VR is massive success and it even has a main Halo game for it, with gameplay that doesn't make you want to vomit. Further information with Blam. MS forgot to show it at E3 or XO, but it exists. The real thing FPS goodness.

/s
Alright idiot. It also seems you took my probably as literally.

Please google shit before you speak.

Last edited:

Blam

Hahahaha

I would write a response here, but there's no need. I think it is self evident for everyone. That's why VR fails.
Haha I never said there was a mainline halo game with confirmed VR, and I never said the Halo games currently able to be played in VR are good.

First off why the fuck does it matter if you can play Halo on it or not?

Thiagosc777

Haha I never said there was a mainline halo game with confirmed VR, and I never said the Halo games currently able to be played in VR are good.

First off why the fuck does it matter if you can play Halo on it or not?

Because it is a game that requires fast movement, action and strategy.

Ar¢tos

I don't think Xbox itself is a failure in EU, but rather it's attachment to MS name that prevents it to be more successful. Many countries are still bitter from MS shenanigans with skype/Internet explorer/forced windows updates, etc.

CeeJay

Why the hell has a Xbox Scarlett thread decended into talking about VR that isn't even being talked about for the system??

It seems that this thread is full of people saying that VR is the future, MS don't have it and Sony do! Great!

But to all those people, look at it like this...

If Sony go bigger with VR for the PS5 than with PS4 then that also means a bigger commitment to more and higher quality software to support it. A lot of the PSVR games have been small short experiences rather than full AAA games. If Sony are planning on a bigger attach rate then they are going to have to divert that much coveted first party support away from traditional AAA console games to make AAA VR games. It's not like Sony are going to create new teams specifically for VR so they can also carry on outputting the same level of traditional games, something has got to give! It's like Kinect all over again!

Are you prepared for less traditional console games next gen or are you going to try and spin it that this will carry on the same?

Lort

Banned
News... Xbox significantly increases is offerings and appeal to customers.

Neogaf responce, but anything you can do i can do better... and nobody likes you.. and its not going to happen and i wouldnt like it even if it was awesome .. so there!

badboyyy

Oh man its like xbox believers always put shit on other competitors, VR is garbage, playstation/nintendo exclusive games shit and so on and on. C'mon guys if you love Microsoft brand its one thing, but another thing is your pure imagination.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
News... Xbox significantly increases is offerings and appeal to customers.

Neogaf responce, but anything you can do i can do better... and nobody likes you.. and its not going to happen and i wouldnt like it even if it was awesome .. so there!
Pretty much this

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Oh man its like xbox believers always put shit on other competitors, VR is garbage, playstation/nintendo exclusive games shit and so on and on. C'mon guys if you love Microsoft brand its one thing, but another thing is your pure imagination.
If anyone is saying Sony games are garbage, well that's just bullshit. I dont rock Sony games typically but, that doesnt make them shit. I cant agree there. They just arent for me.

VR is another bag I'm not interested in dipping into until they get it operating without the cable and its not cumbersome.

Blam

The only combat vr games that'll work are going to be vehicle piloting,.
?????
The most played VR games at this current time are shooters? Why does it sound like nobody in this thread has touched a headset in their life lmao.

Blam

Except this isn't how it is at all. I laid the facts right out and everyone who was responding to me shut up and went their way.

W

Who made you Donald Trump to proclaim such?

No, I get it. It hasn’t met commercial expectations, but we are in the Game boy mono era of the tech. Give it time. Certainly nothing ever will come off it without some pioneering effort.

The gameboy didn't have the issue of people not being able to physically play it.

There are quite a large percentage of people who cant watch 3d content due to eye conditions or it flat out makes people sick....until they come up with ways to overcome this or trick the human body most vr stuff will be short experience like content and never really evolve past that as it wont have mass market appeal.

badboyyy

If anyone is saying Sony games are garbage, well that's just bullshit. I dont rock Sony games typically but, that doesnt make them shit. I cant agree there. They just arent for me.

VR is another bag I'm not interested in dipping into until they get it operating without the cable and its not cumbersome.

Yep I totally agree about VR, I had psvr headset, that feeling is amazing but i cant stand when you need to connect so many cables. If ps5 will have psvr2 without cables, count me in, vr games people playing not for graphic, they play for different experience, when I played until dawn rush blood my head thought that I really was on rollercoaster and my body was shivering from that experience.

The only combat vr games that'll work are going to be vehicle piloting,.
I just posted one. You are wrong by all accounts. There are tons of great combat related games.

Next you'll say "But 3rd person games don't work!" Yes they do.

Then you'll spin it around and say "But you can't make proper melee combat in VR!" Yes you can. Blade and Sorcery proves VR is the best medium for this.

And you'll continue with something like "Wait, I'm pretty sure you can't do an RTS!" Yes you can. Brass Tactics is one of a bunch.

No, no, and no. Everything you think about VR is most likely wrong. It has overcome most of the ridiclous stigmas and misconceptions that people place on it.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Being bullish about Xbox next gen is all well and good, but lets talk history:

The only time a Sony console has been soundly beaten in the marketplace since they entered the field in 1995 was when Wii was its peak (roughly 2007-2010).

That's a fact.

360 was doing real well in the US/UK in its time, but the end result of that generation was PS3 and 360 at more at less even final numbers (with PS3 on the market for a year less) thanks to Sony's greater global penetration.

This is concurrent with the Wii besting everyone, and Sony/Playstation stumbling through a ridiculous catalog of blunders and misfortunes culminating in the disastrous 2011 hack.

No fanboyism here, this is simply the precedent that any competitor needs to study when assessing their strategy going forwards. When you break it down by the numbers, its actually somewhat shocking how consistently dominant Sony has been in the console niche. This is not to downplay the other participants achievements, hell Nintendo's performance in the handheld space is even more impressive, but just to stress that beating these guys is apparently really fucking hard!

You can read this however you want regarding MS' chances next gen, you could for example argue that their service focused strategy is the proverbial "magic bullet", or you could conclude that as Wii was the only console to crush all comers, low-entry price and a unique selling point and software is the real trump card.

Or you could conclude that if Sony doesn't self-sabotage itself repeatedly, they are very likely to retain/increase their dominance, because over the last 24 years that's been the usual outcome.

Whatever you take from it, I think its fair to say that its likely not going to be easy. Skepticism is not unreasonable.

So why are the sales going down instead of up?
The moment you respond with the TechCrunch article that always floats around is the moment you've conceded, because most of that data is cherry picked and not indicative of how VR is doing. And the one bit of data that is actually untampered with is one that exceeded sales expectations anyway.

VR is on the trough of disillusionment in the gartner hype cycle. Every major technology goes through this phase. It's the phase where the hype dies down and growth becomes slow, until VR enters the slope of enlightenment and later on meets or exceeds the initial media hype.

There was a point in time where smartphones, which now are in more than 3 billion hands, used to sell hundreds of thousands across their full life cycle, and were overhyped by the media and never met the hype until the iPhone launched.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

The moment you respond with the TechCrunch article that always floats around is the moment you've conceded, because most of that data is cherry picked and not indicative of how VR is doing. And the one bit of data that is actually untampered with is one that exceeded sales expectations anyway.

VR is on the trough of disillusionment in the gartner hype cycle. Every major technology goes through this phase. It's the phase where the hype dies down and growth becomes slow, until VR enters the slope of enlightenment and later on meets or exceeds the initial media hype.
That's between you and Google, chief. When you google VR sales, that's what comes up. Throw me your untampered numbers and I'll be happy to look at them.

EDIT: Although, I will say that anecdotally, it realllly doesn't seem to be taking off so well, does it? I mean, is your perception different than that? I'd still like to see those numbers though.

Last edited:
That's between you and Google, chief. When you google VR sales, that's what comes up. Throw me your untampered numbers and I'll be happy to look at them.

EDIT: Although, I will say that anecdotally, it realllly doesn't seem to be taking off so well, does it? I mean, is your perception different than that? I'd still like to see those numbers though.
The whole point is the following: VR is not meant to take off. Not yet. No one went into this generation believing it would. And by no one, I mean the people who matter and the people in the know: the manufacturers. (Sony, Oculus, HTC / Valve, Google and others) The media is entirely at fault for overhyping it, giving it a status that no technology has ever achieved by becoming mainstream overnight.

They realized that like all other mediums such as smartphones, tablets, PCs, it takes quite a number of years, at least 10 from the start of the consumer market to reach a truly mainstream breaking point.

That would put it around 2025-2026. If VR isn't mainstream by then, it has truly failed to live up to expectations. However, the journey will get progressively faster at the beginning of the 2020s with 2nd gen headsets launching and cheap 6DoF standalones like Oculus Quest, so the market should be big enough to support many AAA developers jumping into large budget AAA VR development in about 5 years.

Sales information and projections: https://www.roadtovr.com/what-vr-he...-have-actually-said-about-sales-expectations/

PSVR hits 3 million sales: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/16/celebrating-3-million-ps-vr-systems-sold/

Last edited:
Only because the main sku was never cost prohibitive ($399) imo.

History lesson for you, the cheaper 20GB PS3 was outsold by the $599 model and Sony quickly discontinued the cheaper $499 PS3.

Same thing happened with the Xbox 360. The cheaper arcade model was outsold by the standard $399 one.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I just posted one. You are wrong by all accounts. There are tons of great combat related games.

Next you'll say "But 3rd person games don't work!" Yes they do.

Then you'll spin it around and say "But you can't make proper melee combat in VR!" Yes you can. Blade and Sorcery proves VR is the best medium for this.

And you'll continue with something like "Wait, I'm pretty sure you can't do an RTS!" Yes you can. Brass Tactics is one of a bunch.

No, no, and no. Everything you think about VR is most likely wrong. It has overcome most of the ridiclous stigmas and misconceptions that people place on it.

are you some sort of angry special needs case?

?????
The most played VR games at this current time are shooters? Why does it sound like nobody in this thread has touched a headset in their life lmao.

because teleporting is shite

Last edited:

Shmunter

because teleporting is shite

I have to chime in here. Teleporting is very old news. This was the locomotion method during the introduction of VR to ease people into VR.

Since then it’s become apparent that people can overcome motion sickness by being exposed to VR for long enough. FPS VR games now play with full locomotion just like non VR games... here is Firewall for PSVR as example...

Lort

Banned
Or you could conclude that if Sony doesn't self-sabotage itself repeatedly, they are very likely to retain/increase their dominance, because over the last 24 years that's been the usual outcome.

From wiki

PlayStation 2 155 million
Nintendo DS 154.02 million
Game Boy 118.69 million
PlayStation 102.49 million
Wii 101.63 million
PlayStation 4 86.1 million
Xbox 360 84 million

History shows us that Sonys traditional main competitor is Nintendo and its usually lost to them. Also points out that the Playstation 3 was their worst selling console when Microsoft does well.

Next gen if Microsoft does well Playstation will again suffer.. its obvious they are competitors and when one falters the other does better.

Top Bottom