• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scarlett Will Get One First Party Game Release Every 3-4 Months, Says Xbox Game Studios Boss

nikolino840

The bolded is kinda what Sony does and they spread the releases wisely.
They even stated that they will be releasing less AAA-games at a higher quality going forward.

This is a big reason why Sony is far more popular worldwide.
Say what you will about the type of games they release, people know they can expect high production values from their high profile output.

That's what MS still doesn't get to this day. They are so focused on catching up all the time and trying to outdo Sony, that they neglect to guarantee high quality products.
They completely misread the market time after time.

Even Nintendo is aware that they can't compete directly, so they do their own little thing and focus on what they do best. That's why Nintendo remains successfull in their own regards and stay relevant.

MS can learn a lot from Sony and especially Nintendo.
And What about Xbox has no games? Sony makes less First parties games then Xbox?
We have to start to Say PlayStation has no games?

How to stops the "Xbox don't have esclusives " on the web?

LMJ

Just don't spread yourself too thin Microsoft, let those development studios take their time and develop excellent games rushing them will certainly hurt that idea...

That having been said like others have pointed out every 3 months doesn't necessarily mean Triple A titles, it could also include Indies art titles, and smaller studios so I can easily see this being plausible.

And What about Xbox has no games? Sony makes less First parties games then Xbox?
We have to start to Say PlayStation has no games?

How to stops the "Xbox don't have esclusives " on the web?
Xbox has exclusives.

it's just that SCARLET wouldn't have exclusives. At least for a year or two. And Microsoft said that themselves.

nikolino840

Not sure where you're going with this..

Well, you can't since MS decided not to have exclusives anymore.
Or you can't answer becouse in the meantime when MS Is creating an aaa the creations of aa exclusives through the year Is the best of the worst choice they can realistic do?

Sony have deals with Japan devs for example with second parties exclusives that MS can't reach a deal

Psykodad

Banned
Or you can't answer becouse in the meantime when MS Is creating an aaa the creations of aa exclusives through the year Is the best of the worst choice they can realistic do?
If they can't deliver quality games at a reasonable rate, you prefer them to rush games just to be able to say they have a lot of games?
They'll become the laughing stock of the big three.
Often, less is more.

Sony have deals with Japan devs for example with second parties exclusives that MS can't reach a deal

MS killed their chances on the JP market themselves. Everything they did is coming back to bite them and they're just digging their grave deeper.

Last edited:

Deals have nothing to do with it. Microsoft decided that there would not be any Scarlet exclusives in the immediate future, which is a perplexing decision. In fact when it was leaked a few months earlier, I dismissed it as being silly rumor.

But then recently Microsoft announced that to be true. I am filing it under the same category of silly as "forced Knect" and "Xbox 1 S All Digital for $249". This is an own-goal as far as I am concerned.

nikolino840

If they can't deliver quality games at a reasonable rate, you prefer them to rush games just to be able to say they have a lot of games?
They'll become the laughing stock of the big three.
Often, less is more.

MS killed their chances on the JP market themselves. Everything they did is coming back to bite them and they're just digging their grave deeper.
Yes
Maybe Is my lack of english i can't explain very well

Find the interview that MS stops to create AAA games Forever and ever ;)

What i try to explain Is MS can't have second parties exclusives like Sony

(nioh,persona and all the games not devoloped by SIE studios that can't you find on Xbox)

(if you look those games came out during the developing of SIE studios games)

so they have to create by themself during the time to create an AAA (some years)
In a realistic way Is more Easy than make deals to bring Atlus games on Xbox for example

Mattyp

Gold Member
You should let it go and come to realization that you don't need to defend every shitty game MS produces. Sorry bud, Rare isn't AAA.

SoT is a fun game, if you had actually played it with some friends you would understand that. If you had actually played any of the things you constantly shit on I might give you some fucking props but you can't go a week without posting in every single Microsoft thread about titles you've never touched, I feel bad for you son.

Because RARE has never ever used a realistic art style does not make them not a AAA studio with AAA budgets. We'll be waiting a good while for them to release an abandoned city with some lush green environments thrown in to get them bumped up to AAA.

Psykodad

Banned
Find the interview that MS stops to create AAA games Forever and ever ;)
This makes no sense.
I never even made any claim saying something like that.

What i try to explain Is MS can't have second parties exclusives like Sony

(nioh,persona and all the games not devoloped by SIE studios that can't you find on Xbox)

Sunset Overdrive was a second party exclusive, right?

Anyway, MS' issue is marketshare. They need to solve that first and for that they need to sway people"s opinion.
If they'll release shovelware, that def won't happen.

so they have to create by themself during the time to create an AAA (some years)
In a realistic way Is more Easy than make deals to bring Atlus games on Xbox for example

Well, yeah. Never said otherwise.
But that brings us back MS' problem. They're fucked regardless.

Last edited:
While it's good that they set clear goals for themselves in this specific area - I don't think that pushing games that take multiple years to develop out in such a constrained schedule is a recepy for success, will they let games that aren't ready be delayed a few months? or will they want the release numbers and dates for marketing more than games quality (which is also good for marketing, but harder to put on a list).

1. Talk is cheap.
2. Since they are de-facto Xbox One games, they would be easier to make but will have issues competing with true next gen game titles.
Kind of scary, but it has some benefits for their existing clients, I hope that the less demanding PS5 games are fully forward compatible with the PS4/PRO.
Why Microsoft keep talking so much I really don't understand.

Hope this cicle really pay off. I really need Fable to be a good franchise again.
If their schedule is fixed that far in advance, and they decide to adhere to it in a strict manner it won't be good (who knows, some studios may end up striving under that kind of conditions).

Last edited:
Kind of scary, but it has some benefits for their existing clients, I hope that the less demanding PS5 games are fully forward compatible with the PS4/PRO.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have next gen in 2020? When do you want next gen to start, then? Give me a specific year. Because next gen has to start at some stage, and yet you seem to believe 2020 is too early.

Funny enough, it was always assumed that Microsoft would want the next gen to start ASAP, because in theory they could reset the race and have a chance to take the lead. And yet here we have evidence that Microsoft is not ready to start next gen.

SLB1904

Banned
No i didnt like either of those games but i did like spider man. Are you saying that spiderman models are on same level as say last of us?
Spiderman is AAA period. How many games this generation had the same budget as spid3rman?
The marketing for that game was insane

And how polished that gameplay was. Cinemactics boss fights
Everything screams AAA

bUt tHe mOdEls lol

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
giphy.gif

imsosleepy

No, this confirms to me that they are going the way of much smaller first party titles that wil fill up their Gamepass. They wil barely have really big triple A games that are as good as an uncharted, horizon, last of us, god of war.

And most likely they wil go the way of non realisticness to make development even more easy. More styles like sea of thieves is my bet

quickwhips

Spiderman is AAA period. How many games this generation had the same budget as spid3rman?
The marketing for that game was insane

And how polished that gameplay was. Cinemactics boss fights
Everything screams AAA

bUt tHe mOdEls lol
All im saying is the models from a triple a game like last of us are way better than spiderman. Depending on what your expectations are spiderman is a great game. If microsoft makes games that are fun with models to this same caliber i think most would be happy with double a games. I enjoyed spiderman very much but the models were pretty bad. Don't let emotions cloud your judgement. Last of use modes were on a different level. For this to be true they cant both be triple a.

SLB1904

Banned
All im saying is the models from a triple a game like last of us are way better than spiderman. Depending on what your expectations are spiderman is a great game. If microsoft makes games that are fun with models to this same caliber i think most would be happy with double a games. I enjoyed spiderman very much but the models were pretty bad. Don't let emotions cloud your judgement. Last of use modes were on a different level. For this to be true they cant both be triple a.
The last of us is going for a realistic look. You cant compare both games.

Sota4077

When you look at the competition, a new game every 3 months (about 4-5 games), is still nothing compared to the 15 games from Sony, or the 20 or so games Nintendo publishes yearly. Still, it'd be a nice step up from their current pacing, where you'd be lucky to get maybe 3 games from Microsoft a year.

At no point during this entire generation has Sony put out 15 games in one year I have no idea where the hell you pulled that from....

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Stop talking about it and do it, we can not have a console without AAA games and the current AAA release cycle will hurt Microsoft.

Gargus

Banned
But will they actually be good games? Because if they are the same quality as the majority of xbox games then what's the point?

And will they be on pc also like most "xbox exclusives"? If so then what's the point of an xbox?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Microsoft is a shit hardware company. They need to turn their xbox division into a game publisher division for all systems instead of trying to do their own system.

Sota4077

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Microsoft is a shit hardware company. They need to turn their xbox division into a game publisher division for all systems instead of trying to do their own system.

This will likely be the dumbest thing I read all week. The Surface line of laptops are some of the nicest you can get. The Xbox one X is simultaneously the most powerful and most quiet console I have owned since discs have become the delivery medium. No idea where you get your opinion they're a shit hardware company but I could not disagree more. And shutting down Xbox would be there most idiotic thing ever considering how successful the brand is. Just cause they're gonna get wrecked this generation by Sony doesn't mean they're beat days are gone, lol.

Sota4077

Stop talking about it and do it, we can not have a console without AAA games and the current AAA release cycle will hurt Microsoft.

At least the tail end of this generation they are firing on all cylinders. Game Pass alone got them out of the dog house for me. When you want to talk about value for your money Microsoft are absolutely killing it with Game Pass. If they can start putting out solid 85-90 rated games from their first party studios there is no reason they cannot compete with Sony next generation.

The biggest thing now is that the days of swapping between Sony and Microsoft are definitely coming to a close with the digital games age and having a backlog of games for backwards compatibility. So Microsoft really need to get this right. Consoles are getting locked in for people the same way phones are because losing all those apps for a lot of people is out of the question.

I'd argue this is the type of output they need to keep GamePass viable. It's essentially like Netflix where they have to release tons of shit constantly just to keep people subscribed and happy. The big difference is that they can try to get people hooked long term on one game (like Halo), so they also have to cast as wide a net as possible.

I don't either. Spiderman is better than anything MS has released this gen, and I don't think it is even close. MS needs a lot of games of that caliber if they want their strategy to be viable next gen (not just Scarlett, but GamePass as a service). They need these studios to deliver amazing games, which is very difficult. Sea of Thieves is a nice live service game, but it won't cut it.

1 game per quarter isn’t bad. With 15 studios they will have 4 Games a year which gives each studio 3.75 years to produce a game which is sufficient depending on the size of the studio and if they have multiple teams working on multiple games at once. If they have more studios then that timeframe extends. But chances are most studios would only need 2 years if they don’t have to rebuild their game engines from the ground up every time they make a game.

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have next gen in 2020? When do you want next gen to start, then? Give me a specific year. Because next gen has to start at some stage, and yet you seem to believe 2020 is too early.

Funny enough, it was always assumed that Microsoft would want the next gen to start ASAP, because in theory they could reset the race and have a chance to take the lead. And yet here we have evidence that Microsoft is not ready to start next gen.

Where did I talk, or allude to "2020 being too early"?

I was agreeing with you about the potential caveat of pushing for their new games to work on all their consoles released since the xbox one was released.... while stating its potential benefit.

By example, if you buy a game on your xbox one and find that it runs poorly it may make you wish to upgrade for it, while if you can't get the game at all on the old console you won't have that pressure (however games you can't play at all may be enticing enough).

ethomaz

Banned
Ohhhh Sony Too strategy... finally.

But thinking q bit more about they say the same every years it is already a Phil's mark.

Last edited:
They need to focus on quality. No more of these lanky fortnite graphics where you run around with your team. Tell us a story. Show us characters with personality so that they are memorable. Make it 3rd person so that the character design actually makes a difference. If I were Microsoft. I would use Sony's line up as a template. Remember when people could actually debate if Mario was better than Sonic? What can people debate with God of War 4 or Horizon Zero vs what on Microsoft? I can't think of anything. Recore could have been their Horizon Zero Dawn if it were more ambitious with a bigger budget. They should make a AAA Marlow Briggs. Make it dope af and even have a part where he says "BOY!"...I kid. I'm not saying copy Sony......yah I am.

As long as they release their first party titles on PC I probably won't be getting scarlet

BUT - if they can actually deliver on 3-4 top notch AAA games a year, they will definitely make things interesting for Sony. In that case, I love it. We need more competition this next gen.

McCheese

Let's remember this is the company who paid for exclusive marketing rights to Anthem earlier this year, I think they are happy for any games at this point, so I wouldn't expect them to all be AAA hits.

quickwhips

Let's remember this is the company who paid for exclusive marketing rights to Anthem earlier this year, I think they are happy for any games at this point, so I wouldn't expect them to all be AAA hits.
Everyone thought anthem was going to be a good game but it turned out to be a turd. It happens when you take chances.

Top Bottom