• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox - Series S or X?

Hoddi

Yeah this is a good summary. The S delivers nearly the same experience as the X; it has the same speed, quick resume, UI etc. But the X does it at higher resolution, and often higher framerates. And it has a drive. The X does everything better, but its gonna cost you more and its harder to get right now.

Ofcourse, even at 1080p the X would be better because of:

-Supersampling from 4k source
-better support for legacy games ie. the One X profile.
-more space, though I would likely want to upgrade X as well. I did throw 1tb NVME in my PS5 earlier this year.

I am looking out for an X, since I bought the S in 2020 to see if GPU is to my liking. My plan is to get the X once its easy to pick up for RRP. I might keep the S though, I really like it.
I own both consoles and the difference is mostly very slight on my old plasma. Think PS4 vs PS4 Pro.

It's a totally different scenario at 4k but the S is a very decent console for 1080p TVs.

Topher

Gold Member
Because the developers can always make the minimum specs on pc greater than the series s and since they’re 2 sku for Xbox they have to focus on making their games work on that weak console

Nah....they will just lower the resolution and it will be fine. We still have new games releasing for PS4 and Xbox One base hardware. And a lot of new games will still run on ancient PCs. I don't get this idea that Xbox Series S is somehow the one system in all of gaming that is holding back devs.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Nah....they will just lower the resolution and it will be fine. We still have new games releasing for PS4 and Xbox One base hardware. And a lot of new games will still run on ancient PCs. I don't get this idea that Xbox Series S is somehow the one system in all of gaming that is holding back devs.
Are we still believing that lie they will just drop the resolution lol we are clearly seeing devs not even care about the series s and doing the bare minimum. They’re not even trying to get a 60fps mode in some games

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I have a S since December last year. It's a great little box, its super quit, fits everywhere, migration from Xbox One was flawless, emulation capabilities are great.
The ultimate question is, do you prefer playing games digitally or physically. If it's the later, get the X. If not, the S is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topher

Gold Member
Are we still believing that lie they will just drop the resolution lol we are clearly seeing devs not even care about the series s and doing the bare minimum. They’re not even trying to get a 60fps mode in some games

You can call it a "lie" if you want, but lowering resolution is the first step for most to get games running better on less powerful PC hardware. Why do you think that principle doesn't apply to consoles?

Last edited:

TheMan

I have an S. For context I have a ps5 and a decent PC as well. I’m happy with the S as a gamepass machine. I tried using it for saturn emulation and that is frankly way more trouble than it’s worth IMO.

But I think it fits great into my niche

Biggest gripe is the small hard drive, especially for a machine that has no disc drive. It makes it hard to justify actually buying games

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I was lucky enough to grab a Series X a year ago but if I wanted a cheaper and more than capable way of getting back into the XBox ecosystem I would have grabbed a Series S.

Brilliant piece of engineering, the only issue I can think of is the storage space but there are ways around that... especially for older BC titles.

Last edited:
I started CyberPunk2077 on the old Xbox One X, few months later I got the Series S, and a few months later I got the Series X.
It was the EXACT same game on all 3 systems.

If you can find it and afford it get the X, but the S is just fine as is. Upgrade it in a few years if the lower resolution and sometimes missing 60fps modes bother you.

Javthusiast

Banned
Series S has big dick energy.

The Chad S >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Virgin X
Truth This Is True GIF by Ford

YCoCg

If your main reason is emulation, then Series S is fine as it performs the same as the Series X, but is smaller, draws less power, light af, etc. The Series S is honestly a great emulation box and combine it with gamepass then you've got a nice little system covering a lot of platforms.

Apocryphon

S is probably the best dead in gaming right now but I have and will recommend the X. Better framerates, RT, 4K60. You want to use your TV to it's fullest potential? Series X it is.

elliot5

The answer is the one you can afford comfortably and can get a hold of. It really doesn’t matter in the end. I have both and use both on 4K tvs. The X is worth waiting for if it’s in the budget, but hardly anyone picks up the S and is disappointed.

Last edited:
Because the developers can always make the minimum specs on pc greater than the series s and since they’re 2 sku for Xbox they have to focus on making their games work on that weak console
Usually teams end up focusing on the one they like in a situation like this... The other gets a bit of attention at the end of the project so it gets its throw away config file.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Especially with GP. Its a no-brainer, even if you have a Series X. The S is awesome. I'm, definitely happy with mine.
This is me. I bought an X last June or so and got an S for free before Christmas in the GameStop mistake. I put the S on the desk in my office and I use it more than my X and PS5, especially for pick up and play gaming. It's a good little box. If I'm going to play for hours I'll go upstairs and use the PS5 or X.

Summed up perfectly. It was never a sincere argument that the XSS was 'holding back the generation for the point you made earlier about low end PCs being a bigger factor. The CPU will be the determining factor for game performance and the XSS has the same CPU as the 'big boys'.

X, S is seriously waste of money.

#1 No Disc Drive
#2 You want to get it for gamepass yet... you want 384 gig storage ?
People don't seem know that the XSS supports external storage from SSDs to mechanical hard drives just like the XSX. You can easily swap games from internal to external storage if you so desire. It is incredibly easy to get more space if you want.

The XSS is a fantastic budget console that has the same features as the $200 more XSX. If you aren't worried about graphical fidelity it will serve you quite well. Most of the cutbacks in games on the system are due to developer choices.

Much hay was made about Halo Infinite not having a 120 fps mode and people accused MS of fraud. Turns out 343i recently added it the XSS version showing that it is just as capable if the devs take the time. You really can't go wrong with either Xbox.

SkylineRKR

S storage is pathetic but if you happen to have an external, lots of games boot from that. Also X|S games like Sea of Thieves, Mass Effect Trilogy and MCC.

I was hoping S games were much smaller in size, but its mostly like 10gb difference on a game of 70gb.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Series S is the best deal at the moment

Absolutely is not. It is a terrible choice and all people should go for the X whenever possible. Series S is the biggest mistake MS has made in years and its only value is to have a half decent emulation machine for classical games for those who don't want to put in the effort and get Analogue/OSSC/etc.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
People can take an objective look at the specs and realize that it is underpowered. It does have it's place as a kiddie bedroom console on a cheap TV. I wont lie, I do like the appearance of it.

Underpowered compared to what though? It was never designed to be as powerfull as a ps5 or series X, and it's actually a lot more powerfull than say a pa4 or regular xbox one.
I think people just look at the TF rating and forget the architecture and ssd enhancements that actually make it more powerfull than first glance. You want underpowered, I'd say take looks at the switch, not the S. (2013 says hi)

THE DUCK

Absolutely is not. It is a terrible choice and all people should go for the X whenever possible. Series S is the biggest mistake MS has made in years and its only value is to have a half decent emulation machine for classical games for those who don't want to put in the effort and get Analogue/OSSC/etc.

So I can't get an S for the bedroom to go with my X in the living room? Or buy one for my 1080p tv? Or buy one for my young children?
Or buy one for my friend who plays games twice a year? That's some pretty narrow thinking you have going on. It has tons of value for lots of people, just not you.

THE DUCK

So I can't get an S for the bedroom to go with my X in the living room? Or buy one for my 1080p tv? Or buy one for my young children?
Or buy one for my friend who plays games twice a year? That's some pretty narrow thinking you have going on. It has tons of value for lots of people, just not you.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Go with an X. X is always superior. But enjoy promoting a gimped joke of a system.

S0ULZB0URNE

Who has a 1080p tv in the bedroom in 2022.
I don't even believe you do... you are just trying to sell the s.

BlackTron

The S is mostly good for the fact that it actually existed. It offered a next-gen console that's good enough for casual market at a price casuals can take too. And of course you could actually find them. It's cheap enough that if you upgraded later and repurposed it, or even sold it at a loss, big deal really.

As an only system, I see it more for people who just want a few games on there and Netflix/Youtube/etc. Just about ANYONE on this forum would only want it as a stopgap to the Series X, which is getting more readily available sooo...why bother with the S?

Can't have too many small, readily deployable Halo nodes though lol

THE DUCK

Who has a 1080p tv in the bedroom in 2022.
I don't even believe you do... you are just trying to sell the s.

I dont, but guess what, you can't see 4k on a 49" tv from 10ft away, your eyes can only resolve 1080p. And a lot of people don't have larger than that in the bedroom. For that matter even a 55" needs to be 6ft or closer to fukly resolve 4k. Also lots of people have 1080p tv's.

Top Bottom