• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S - Revealed Trailer

scalman

as allways 299 is just number somewhere , not where you live , you go then localy and you find number more like 325 or even 350 instead of 299

RoboFu

One of the green rats
worse part is the SSD only 512gb yikes

hope the ssd cards are cheap or better yet have some sort of software cold storage solution baked in.

No the worst part is that the ssd is proprietary. 512 isnt bad and they will sale bigger ones separately but you can only use what MS makes so they are in complete control of the pricing. I hope t hey will allow 3rd parties to make some as well.

njean777

they can announce a new console and price but still haven't told us the price of their other console that they announced awhile ago....

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
To those of you who came here just to shit on the announcement, we see the blind hatred for all things Xbox for what it is, you are a stain on the gaming community. The older I get the more people like you irrirate me.

W623rZq.gif

I love the design and the price. This will be a fantastic option for gamers who might prefer Sony but still want an Xbox console.

To those of you who came here just to shit on the announcement, we see the blind hatred for all things Xbox for what it is, you are a stain on the gaming community. The older I get the more people like you irrirate me.
I will give Xbox a break if and only if they stop using PC gaming as their go-to for when they want to lie to their customers.

supernova8

Banned
I love the design and the price. This will be a fantastic option for gamers who might prefer Sony but still want an Xbox console.

Yeah it really is a great price point especially for those who don't have a 4K display and aren't that bothered about upgrading any time soon. Even if you do have a 4K display, 1440p still looks good on it.

I'm still not really that interested in Xbox (would rather go PS5 assuming they have the exclusives I want) but I agree shitting on this for the sake of shitting on it is just silly.

ManaByte

No the worst part is that the ssd is proprietary. 512 isnt bad and they will sale bigger ones separately but you can only use what MS makes so they are in complete control of the pricing. I hope t hey will allow 3rd parties to make some as well.

The PS5 SSD is proprietary too. NMVe SSDs in a console HAVE to be. You can't have people who turn their PS4s into roach motels opening up the system and attaching a SSD directly to the system board.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Everything looked great...until they showed the games. Sony has this issue too, but damn...everything looks current gen in that sizzle reel. Why are we upgrading again?

manfestival

Aren't they supposed to wait for like a year or 2 to pass BEFORE they reveal the slim versions of these consoles? Ohnobabywhatisyoudoing.gif

I see you trying to subvert expectations even though the existence of the S leaked at the X reveal

i was just looking at the cost of a PC upgrade, and this is really attractive

lets see what the competition has in this price range

sucks I have to give up physical media...i buy mostly digital, but i like physical copies from some studios...if the game is complete at launch and will hold its value, like FROM, platinum, treasure, etc

it's a shame they can't tax the kind of people that have 8k tvs a little harder....subsodize this down to 199....maybe they think this will be a way more popular sku

supernova8

Banned
Great price point, great form factor but that big black circle. Do people like the design? I honestly think it looks shit. I like the minimalist XSX design but this white rectangle with a massive mole looks weird. Why didn't they just make that black part the same white as the rest of the device?? Great little piece of kit ruined by a big black plastic grill.

Drewpee

Banned
Yeah it really is a great price point especially for those who don't have a 4K display and aren't that bothered about upgrading any time soon. Even if you do have a 4K display, 1440p still looks good on it.

I'm still not really that interested in Xbox (would rather go PS5 assuming they have the exclusives I want) but I agree shitting on this for the sake of shitting on it is just silly.

That new Spiderman game is calling my name, l am just waiting for a price reveal to see if I can afford both consoles at launch. Xbox is my preferred console but I enjoy gaming on all machines, except PC for some reason (I think my console wired brain just can't handle the extra steps involved 😄)

supernova8

Banned
That new Spiderman game is calling my name, l am just waiting for a price reveal to see if I can afford both consoles at launch. Xbox is my preferred console but I enjoy gaming on all machines, except PC for some reason (I think my console wired brain just can't handle the extra steps involved 😄)

I'm personally not bothered about Spiderman. I just know there will end up being more exclusives I want on PS5 compared to Xbox and plus if I get an Xbox it'll be useless without a subscription of some sort. I'm only letting one of them get the needle in.

sixamp

Either The series S is gonna bomb or the X will. There's no need for 2 didn't power sku's. All it will do is cause issues with consumers and deving

mortal

Gold Member
Great price point and 1440p with upwards to 120fps is more than enough for many.

Although an all digital console with 512GB of storage is laughable. I guess they're betting most people will be being using Series S for streaming.

Justin9mm

Smart marketing from Xbox, you want the cheaper console, forces you to digital only, want a physical drive, you got to pony up for the Series X.

I doubt this will hit 1440p/60 on next gen AAA games. This is for the 1080p gamer.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

• All-Digital
  • 4TF RDNA 2 GPU
  • Same CPU as Xbox Series X
  • Nearly 60% smaller than Xbox Series X
  • Custom 512GB NVME SSD powered by Xbox Velocity Architecture (like the Series X)
  • 1440p at up to 120FPS
  • DirectX Raytracing
  • 4K upscaling and media playback
  • Variable rate shading
  • Variable refresh rate
  • Ultra-low latency

Priced: £249 / $299 / €299

Black-Man-Stark-Trek-Facepalm-Gif.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If people haven't figured it out by now they make it explicit - they will rely on VRS to be their DLSS-like solution.

Of course, it's all non-sense. This is not a 1440p console, it's a 1080p one at best, but they're gonna hide through so many layers of obfuscation that 99.9% of people won't know to dispute it ("up to", "Dynamic res", "VRS" etc).

You're right of course. Can't wait for Digital Foundry to show what games "REALLY" look and play like on this console.

Either The series S is gonna bomb or the X will. There's no need for 2 didn't power sku's. All it will do is cause issues with consumers and deving

This is my prediction too. Both can't do well in the marketplace.

Last edited:
oh right, handheld mode

still, a next gen xbox only seems 4x more powerful than a docked switch

...maybe i'm good as is...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I always thought Brad Sams was full of shit, but got to say he got this thing right last night.

Good to see this option for gamers who don't care about the latest greatest console spec, or simply don't even have a 4k tv to start with.

Is the 1440p spec the max res?

If so, that does seem kind of weird to go back in time, since Xbox X maxes out as a 4k machine

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Nah. It was a brilliant move that attracts two different markets. This will be the standard moving forward from Sony and MS...if there is a next next gen.

Rikkori

Can any technical peeps confirm that these are impressive specs and truly "next-gen"?
Big step up from current Xbox one X?
It will enable much more complex & interactive games due to the combination of incredible CPU power & fast SSD. Graphically, it won't look significantly above a 1X necessarily because the TF is low so a lot of resolution or effects will have to be kept low in order to manage performance. I think it will be a much better gaming experience though. Then you add in lower latency, more advanced audio, etc. It is a next-gen leap for sure.

only a 450 w psu i have my eye on a 750w corsair , just cant decide now whether to go pc route or xbox that price is to good even though its disk-less

i had this pc a few years before i knew any better about specs it was an impulse buy as i needed a pc. i havent had an issues playing some games at 1440p but its pushing it as the gpu only has 3gb ram :-(
You have a good PC already it makes 0 sense for you to go console IMO. Just save up for a new GPU + PSU and you'll be GOLDEN!

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Great trailer for what seems to be an amazing console. The value proposition is out of this world.

Sure, installed COD and then be force to buy a proprietary SSD from MS. What value. This is an add-on and subscription selling box, low barrier to entry but the final price spent will be much higher. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come with a controller. ;)

DaGwaphics

The SSD size is very disappointing. But I hope games will become smaller next gen.

It's a bit :messenger_grimmacing_, but I think most expected it. The data compression should help to make install more efficient to begin with, plus the XSS doesn't need the high resolution assets (installs should be smaller than same game on XSX).

Fbh

That's a great price.
I'm curious how this will work out for them. On paper it seems smart, offer the cheapest next gen console while also having a more expensive model for those who want the extra power. Not to mention that with the whole COVID thing a lot of people are or might soon be struggling financially so a cheap option might become all the more appealing.

jaysius

Banned
Series X=4k early adopters that don't mind checkerboarding or other forms of faking 4k resolution(it'll happen)
Series S= People with good 1080p tvs/don't care about buying a new tv.

Series S is exciting, I have the old Xbox One, it still functions perfectly, some games aren't optimized for it, but hopefully this upcoming gen they'll enforce it more since these service tiers are established out of the gate. I also have a very nice 1080p tv that is still working perfect and I don't want to buy a cheapo 4k set with a litany of issues and compromises(panel lottery, backlight bleeding, sketchy HDR, no HDR, halo effect, burn-in, bad 1080p downscaling/upscaling).

Last edited:
Top Bottom