• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X - $349 (clearing stock for refresh?)

twilo99

There are a multitude of agreements between manufacturers and retailers that we are not privy to including clauses and commitment breaches.

My point is that there is little use arguing as to who is taking the hit, as we'll probably never know.

True, I’m sure they have some agreements, but I have a hard time believing that if Walmart bought 100 boxes outright they would need to then ask MS if they can discount those. That just sounds like a bad deal, and I don’t think Walmart signs a lot of those lol

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Clearing stock because their GTA announcement is that they are pulling out of the hardware business.

//DEVIL//

For those picking up a Series X as part of this deal, don't sleep on some really good BC games that have 60/120hz modes via FPS boost.

Sleeping Dogs, Mad Max, Prey (2017), Alien: Isolation etc etc etc.

Many games are currently on sale for < $5.
dont listen to this person lol

Ninja Gaiden Black and 2
Lost odyssey
Blue Dragon,
Panzer dragoon Orta

All the games he listed are available somewhere else like PC and stuff >_> <_<

True, I’m sure they have some agreements, but I have a hard time believing that if Walmart bought 100 boxes outright they would need to then ask MS if they can discount those. That just sounds like a bad deal, and I don’t think Walmart signs a lot of those lol

It's not a question of whether Walmart needs to ask for permission to discount them, it's about whether in doing so Walmart is going to eat the cost entirely on their own.

twilo99

It's not a question of whether Walmart needs to ask for permission to discount them, it's about whether in doing so Walmart is going to eat the cost entirely on their own.

Oh, you mean MS would make up some of the price difference at a later date.. maybe

AngelMuffin

Meanwhile, at Target last week.
6t45WQj.jpg

Last edited:

drotahorror

Good price!

I just sold my series S today actually. I bought it for emulator functionality in another room and it became too much of a hassle.

Maybe they are getting rid of stock before the big announcement

Why? If the refresh is coming in 2024, it won't be until later in the year. They'd want to time it for the holidays because that's when Xbox hardware traditionally sells best. So, are Microsoft going to eat costs on Series X hardware for nine months, or is this just a temporary price cut and then sales slow down dramatically again? That just leaves retailers with Series X hardware slowly getting sold through most of 2024.

If they're trying to clear the channels altogether of X units but won't be refreshing until the new model, and that doesn't release until Fall next year, they're just going to go nine months or so with no new Series X hardware? Because why would they make more of the model that's about to be replaced, just to either have it sit around (priced too high) or lose money on each unit sold (priced too low)?

I don't think this has anything to do with a refresh. It's just Microsoft trying to clear out some clogged channels of Xbox hardware so boost the holiday sales numbers. Xbox hardware isn't doing very good right now, they're tracking behind OG Xbox's 3rd calendar year and in places like Europe sales have seemingly crashed. America is maybe the only surefire market MS can still push some big numbers but they have to get a lot more aggressive with pricing hence the price cut. I guess they also feel it gives them an advantage since technically the new PS5s are a bit higher cost than the old model (well, the new Digital one is, by $50).

Although this also cannibalizes a lot of the new Series S sales because who in their right mind would by a 1 TB Series S for the same price as a Series X?

Meanwhile, at Target last week.
6t45WQj.jpg

I actually really like this as an idea and it'd be cool if Lego could do this with other consoles or even computers. Gamecube, PS2, PS3, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC '98. It'd be pretty neat.

An incredible offer, but the same mistake of MS always, prioritizing only the sales of the USA and UK while treating the rest as second category users..... Here in the EU there has been no offer during the BF close to that.

Upcoming release of an XSX hotfix?? It should be an announcement and launch very soon. Announcing a new revision and release in 5-6-7 months would be the right decision to totally destroy the sales of the current model no matter how many sales they made. Do I see a possibility of a new bundle with the next "sebille" controller? and want to clarify the current stock.... The TGA could be the date.

The plain truth is, US and UK are the only markets where Xbox is still viable, and even there, they are losing ground to PlayStation (and Nintendo; yes Nintendo also reaps from this) at an accelerated pace. They don't have infinite resources (as a division, plus they already kinda spend like $69 billion so no more free money for a while from daddy MS), or the management wherewithal to stage comebacks in all the global markets, so they had to hedge their bets.

Their big 1P releases this year were basically commercial duds and in some ways also critical duds (especially RedFall, but Forza didn't fare that well and Starfield was at best somewhat above-average but very average compared to other big RPGs this year like BG3). So their only tools are really a price cut for the model that has more demand, and maybe some stuff into Game Pass. They can't do a promo price cut for Game Pass after they just increased the cost, that would defeat the purpose there. And they just got the biggest games they could realistically get for the service added the other day.

All that's left is a competitive price cut, particularly when the new digital PS5 is $449.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Would jump on this had I not just bought a PS5. I was on the fence between the two consoles for weeks leading up to Black Friday. Paralysis by analysis. Some GAF members I respect helped me choose. After an hour or so playing Astro’s Playroom, I’m satisfied with my decision and look forward catching up on the PS5 games released so far this generation. I still have a little fomo because I’ve been on the Xbox side of things since the PS3 launch, but nonetheless I’m really enjoying the PS5.

Having said all that, if MS is behind the price drop, why the hell would they wait till after Black Friday/Cyber Monday? If this price point was available a week ago, I wouldn't have jumped camps. Series X at $350 is a fucking steal and congrats to anyone who picks one up at that price.

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Edit: I messed up. Thought my post didn’t go though and posted this twice.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I think with the poor marketshare Xbox currently has, what is incentivising the retailers to sell digital only consoles? I hope there is still a disc version on sale throughout the generation. I shudder to think how stupid dropping disc consoles would be.

//DEVIL//

Would jump on this had I not just bought a PS5. I was on the fence between the two consoles for weeks leading up to Black Friday. Paralysis by analysis. Some GAF members I respect helped me choose. After an hour or so playing Astro’s Playroom, I’m satisfied with my decision and look forward catching up on the PS5 games released so far this generation. I still have a little fomo because I’ve been on the Xbox side of things since the PS3 launch, but nonetheless I’m really enjoying the PS5.

Having said all that, if MS is behind the price drop, why the hell would they wait till after Black Friday/Cyber Monday? If this price point was available a week ago, I wouldn't have jumped camps. Series X at $350 is a fucking steal and congrats to anyone who picks one up at that price.

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Edit: Sorry I messed up. Thought my post didn’t go though and posted this twice. First post is on bottom of last page. I’m ashamed.
I think you should invest in this too as for 350% you will never find for this price ever again for a long period of time.

eat noodles for 1 month you are not gonna die... .i think.

iHaunter

$350 wtf. Thats an insane price and crazy they need to go that low to actually sell their stock.

A $150 price cut with a free game for a 3 year old console. Yikes. Not sure if this is official promotion or retailers just trying to get rid of their stock.
Amazon is tired of their shit taking up all their warehouses.

I Am Trash GIF by PBS Digital Studios

kiphalfton

Gold Member
A complete waste of money, as there isn't a single game that requires to you to own a Series X.

True to some extent, unless you want to play some up-res'd Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games. Kind of sad that's the best reason I can think of.

Last edited:

Mythoclast

I think one of MSFT's big mistakes this gen is not making any games exclusive to the console. But again, it seems they don't care about selling Xbox hardware anymore. I wonder if there will even be a next Xbox 5 years from now.

Majormaxxx

For those picking up a Series X as part of this deal, don't sleep on some really good BC games that have 60/120hz modes via FPS boost.

Sleeping Dogs, Mad Max, Prey (2017), Alien: Isolation etc etc etc.

Many games are currently on sale for < $5.
Sleeping Dogs is wonderful on xbox... but if you have a capable PC (I don't) to run it in 4k, your jaw will drip in the night scenes. I only compared my xbox to PC in 4k on youtube and it was already drastic...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sleeping Dogs is wonderful on xbox... but if you have a capable PC (I don't) to run it in 4k, your jaw will drip in the night scenes. I only compared my xbox to PC in 4k on youtube and it was already drastic...

Sadly that game never got any further PS4 Pro or One X enhancements. So we're stuck with what's available on console(s) with FPS being the only enhancement on top.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Conversely the implosions if that Xbox announcement was a GTA6 timed exclusivity of some sorts, I am for it just to watch the threads here

banning super mario GIF

Yes Take Two will surely enter into an agreement with MS to make GTAVI time exclusive on Xbox 🤣

Better yet, they will launch it on gamepass 🤣

Alien Temporal Quantum Hopium

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Who is they?

Unless this is brand new stock that Microsoft just sold to them at a discount price, Walmart and Amazon bought these boxes from Microsoft a while ago and we have no idea at what price..

So, who is taking the hit?
There is no way retailers are taking that kind of hit on xbox hardware. It's very much Microsoft.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Xbox must really be feeling it right now.

Anyway, I bought one, picking it up in a few hours. There's literally no exclusives I want, but the best version of a fair number of multiplatform games I want to play are either on there, so... yeah. A completely inessential purchase that I'm finally willing to make at that price.

BigLee74

A complete waste of money, as there isn't a single game that requires to you to own a Series X.

Crap trolling, but I’ll bite. There are plenty of great games on Xbox that aren’t on any other console.

And contrary to the belief of several on this forum, not everyone has a PC, never mind a gaming PC.

$350 is an absolute steal for that hardware. Good stuff for everybody that managed to bag one.

MarkMe2525

That hasn't been Xbox's value proposition since 2017. It's positioned as an affordable option to play MS first party and 3rd party games. They are completely fine if you play their games on PC. Thats like knocking a Tesla for not taking gas.

Last edited:
If they have the marketing rights then why would Rockstard/Take Two unveil the game on their own?
Because GTA reveal will overshadow each and every game showed during any showcase. No matter what indie, first party or third party. GTA is just too big.

Despite having COD marketing, ABK unveiled new COD at the own event rather than at Sony's showcase 🤷‍♂️

Crayon

That's like half of what it costs to make.

They had one holiday (2nd or 3rd) that they did a slasher sale on the one, but kept that price all the way through January i think. Between now and Xmas is their good best chance to get some consoles out there, which is important for gp subs.

The strikeout through 499 on the page does make them look like 'brand x' though. :/

FunkMiller

Crap trolling, but I’ll bite. There are plenty of great games on Xbox that aren’t on any other console.

And contrary to the belief of several on this forum, not everyone has a PC, never mind a gaming PC.

$350 is an absolute steal for that hardware. Good stuff for everybody that managed to bag one.

First off, I have a Series X and it's a great console.... that's gathering dust under my TV.

What games are only available on Xbox Series X?

Last edited:
Top Bottom