• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X - $349 (clearing stock for refresh?)

DaGwaphics

Could even be about the controller, if new models released will have the controller as a pack-in. Great deal for anyone purchasing today, and you get the disk drive as a bonus (if the refresh really eliminates it).

GHG

Gold Member
Bruh, one of these days I'll share my gamefly history with you guys lol.

If gaming goes all digital, it will basically take away 85 to 90% of my modern gaming.

Sucks to be you.

I'm all digital.

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Reaction GIF by E!

Darsxx82

An incredible offer, but the same mistake of MS always, prioritizing only the sales of the USA and UK while treating the rest as second category users..... Here in the EU there has been no offer during the BF close to that.

Upcoming release of an XSX hotfix?? It should be an announcement and launch very soon. Announcing a new revision and release in 5-6-7 months would be the right decision to totally destroy the sales of the current model no matter how many sales they made. Do I see a possibility of a new bundle with the next "sebille" controller? and want to clarify the current stock.... The TGA could be the date.

twilo99

An incredible offer, but the same mistake of MS always, prioritizing only the sales of the USA and UK while treating the rest as second category users..... Here in the EU there has been no offer during the BF close to that.

Upcoming release of an XSX hotfix?? It should be an announcement and launch very soon. Announcing a new revision and release in 5-6-7 months would be the right decision to totally destroy the sales of the current model no matter how many sales they made. Do I see a possibility of a new bundle with the next "sebille" controller? and want to clarify the current stock.... The TGA could be the date.

The EU is a lost cause, even if they made it $200 no one would buy it so it doesn’t matter

Microsoft is in a massive race with Sony for market share. They can't afford to cede significant market share to Sony in their most important region.

They won't be able to recover from that.

Same reason why Sony prioritized the US over Japan with the stock. The ability to have warehouses filled with PS5s to refill any retailers that sold out of PS5s was more important than having any additional units in Japan.

Bankai

Clearing stock in defeat..?

No but seriously, Xbox is in dire straits in Europe. I really don't want Xbox to go away, competition is important and I loved the original Xbox + 360.. but it seems they can do no good. And I gotta be honest, I don't feel the need to but a Series console neither. Hopefully Fable can convince me (but Starfield couldn't).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I would hope that after 3 years they can work out how to reduce the cost price of this thing.

This should be the price now, imo.

OuterLimits

Price is definitely tempting. Especially since I'm interested in Starfield and Age of Empires.

Granted, I'm trying to get through my rather large backlog of Switch, and PS4 games. If I get a Xbox and Gamepass, I will probably never finish the backlog.

twilo99

No but seriously, Xbox is in dire straits in Europe. I really don't want Xbox to go away, competition is important and I loved the original Xbox + 360.. but it seems they can do no good. And I gotta be honest, I don't feel the need to but a Series console neither. Hopefully Fable can convince me (but Starfield couldn't).

Remember when the CMA tried to protect you from an Xbox domination a few months ago?

3 possibilities that I can think of

• They desperately want to minimize their YoY declining numbers, so they're making a last-ditch effort in the next 31 days to achieve better annual numbers
  • They're discontinuing the XSX and this is the best time to try and sell units
  • Select retailers are trying to clear out their stock

I don't think this is a precursor to the refreshed models. I think coming out with those in January/February wouldn't really help you out in any tangible way, though I guess that could be their announcement during the VGA.

Darsxx82

Microsoft is in a massive race with Sony for market share. They can't afford to cede significant market share to Sony in their most important region.

They won't be able to recover from that.

Same reason why Sony prioritized the US over Japan with the stock. The ability to have warehouses filled with PS5s to refill any retailers that sold out of PS5s was more important than having any additional units in Japan.
That does not contradict incentivizing more sales in places where there is also stock available and there is also a competition with better offers. There's a thing called global market share that's equally important. A user from Europe or any other country will generate the same or more revenue than one from the USA. Otherwise, it would be as simple as reducing the number of countries where the console and services are available because 549 euros vs $350 is clearly a lack of consistency for a product that is supposed to be global.
The EU is a lost cause, even if they made it $200 no one would buy it so it doesn’t matter
Sure jam gif...

twilo99

3 possibilities that I can think of

• They desperately want to minimize their YoY declining numbers, so they're making a last-ditch effort in the next 31 days to achieve better annual numbers
  • They're discontinuing the XSX and this is the best time to try and sell units
  • Select retailers are trying to clear out their stock

I don't think this is a precursor to the refreshed models. I think coming out with those in January/February wouldn't really help you out in any tangible way, though I guess that could be their announcement during the VGA.

Who is they?

Unless this is brand new stock that Microsoft just sold to them at a discount price, Walmart and Amazon bought these boxes from Microsoft a while ago and we have no idea at what price..

So, who is taking the hit?

Last edited:
Who is they?

Unless this is brand new stock that Microsoft just sold to them at a discount price, Walmart and Amazon bought these boxes from Microsoft a while ago and we have no idea at what price..

They is Microsoft.

Either retailers have elected to take the hit to clear inventory or Microsoft has made a deal with select retailers. We'll likely never know, but this is a significant discount and it may even be a precursor to a permanent price drop.

We'll also have to wait to see if other retailers drop the price similarly to Amazon and Walmart.

Rockman33

$350 wtf. Thats an insane price and crazy they need to go that low to actually sell their stock.

A $150 price cut with a free game for a 3 year old console. Yikes. Not sure if this is official promotion or retailers just trying to get rid of their stock.
I think it’s more crazy that after 3 years neither console ever really went more than $50 dollars off. Especially with Sony making a cheaper to manufacture one.

At this point last generation Sony had their PS4 pro out at $400. Same price the original one launched at.

That does not contradict incentivizing more sales in places where there is also stock available and there is also a competition with better offers. There's a thing called global market share that's equally important. A user from Europe or any other country will generate the same or more revenue than one from the USA. Otherwise, it would be as simple as reducing the number of countries where the console and services are available because 549 euros vs $350 is clearly a lack of consistency for a product that is supposed to be global.

No, the global market isn't equal to the North American market.

An individual user in Europe might generate the same revenue, but the value of that user is not equal.

Imagine two kids both get an XSX for Christmas. One is in the US and the other is in Germany. Both tell their friends how much they like it. Which is more likely to have an impact in terms of repeat sales?

The answer is the one in the US where the market is more malleable.

Microsoft has a better ability to retain market share in the US than they do trying to create new market share in Europe. It's just a fact, but the fact that Microsoft has to essentially create a fire sale in order to sell XSX should tell everyone where the state of Xbox is today.

twilo99

They is Microsoft.

Either retailers have elected to take the hit to clear inventory or Microsoft has made a deal with select retailers. We'll likely never know, but this is a significant discount and it may even be a precursor to a permanent price drop.

We'll also have to wait to see if other retailers drop the price similarly to Amazon and Walmart.

If Microsoft sold these particular units to Walmart and Amazon at a discounted price, Microsoft are taking a the loss or they have permanently adjusted the price, at which case that should also be reflected on their own website/store.

If Microsoft sold them at their normal rate to Walmart months ago, which is more likely, and Walmart decided to clear stock, that’s on Walmart.

King Dazzar

Who is they?

I dont know how Amazon and Walmart work and how much freedom they have over setting prices. And also how it may differ from region to region. But in the UK for normal high street retail products with the likes of Boots, Tesco etc. Any price or sale reductions are usually agreed with in advance, both in terms of pricing and timing of events, with the supplier.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Who is they?

Seems it’s Wally and Amazon taking the hits. Walmart could be losing about $50 on each unit, idk what wholesale buying power Amazon has.

It could be a move from MS but if that were the case it’d be selling for this price in more places.

Astray

I dont know how Amazon and Walmart work and how much freedom they have over setting prices. And also how it may differ from region to region. But in the UK for normal high street retail products with the likes of Boots, Tesco etc. Any price or sale reductions are usually agreed with in advance, both in terms of pricing and timing of events, with the supplier.
If it's happening at multiple retailers then it's coming from MS themselves.

twilo99

I don’t think Walmart needs permission from anyone. Microsoft might not like it, but there is nothing they can do. If it’s a smaller retailer Microsoft might tell them they won’t sell them any more boxes if they undercut the price again, but Walmart? No chance. Microsoft needs Walmart, not the other way around.

If Microsoft sold these particular units to Walmart and Amazon at a discounted price, Microsoft are taking a the loss or they have permanently adjusted the price, at which case that should also be reflected on their own website/store.

If Microsoft sold them at their normal rate to Walmart months ago, which is more likely, and Walmart decided to clear stock, that’s on Walmart.

Microsoft could have sold them months ago and still agreed on a price adjustment after the fact. We'll have no idea. What I will say is that Microsoft has done no advertising of this "sale"

Last edited:
They are trying to move console sales.

But Microsoft said their priority is not about console sales? Which is it?
This is more Walmart and Amazon moving probably stupid amounts of stock more than anything. Remember, things sitting in inventory don't make money.

I try to never go to Walmart but I had to go in one the other day and decided to take a look and the like case or whatever you call it was absolutely full of Series X consoles.

Fabieter

$350 series X would cost them a fortune. They'll be losing a lot of money on each unit sold at this price. Let's not forget they actually raised the price of the Series X in a lot of regions this year due to costs. This price is unsustainable.

I would basically eat any profit that console might generates. Series x was sold at a significantly loss as it is.

twilo99

Seems it’s Wally and Amazon taking the hits. Walmart could be losing about $50 on each unit, idk what wholesale buying power Amazon has.

It could be a move from MS but if that were the case it’d be selling for this price in more places.

Most likely, which means BF sales were way below expectations..

King Dazzar

I don’t think Walmart needs permission from anyone. Microsoft might not like it, but there is nothing they can do. If it’s a smaller retailer Microsoft might tell them they won’t sell them any more boxes if they undercut the price again, but Walmart? No chance. Microsoft needs Walmart, not the other way around.
I'm sure you're right. There's likely different relationships for different types of products too. I can only speak from an FMCG perspective here in the UK and high street retail, but retailers cant simply change pricing without suppliers agreement.

twilo99

Microsoft could have sold them months ago and still agreed on a price adjustment after the fact. We'll have no idea. What I will say is that Microsoft has done no advertising of this "sale"

You think Microsoft can tell Walmart what they can do with their own merchandise?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Because it's not a Microsoft sale? It's a Walmart sale.

You know .. like how the Target retailer also dropped PS5 to $350, and Sony didn't advertise that either?

Christ on a stick, your posts are always a riot, Mibu :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You think Microsoft can tell Walmart what they can do with their own merchandise?

GIF by Tokkingheads

If Microsoft sold Walmart XSX units for 425 dollars per unit and then said they'll discount those units an additional 75 dollars if they sell them for 350, Walmart is more than happy to.

When manufacturers do black friday sales, do you think they're dictating the price cut to stores that bought items at full price?

twilo99

I'm sure you're right. There's likely different relationships for different types of products too. I can only speak from an FMCG perspective here in the UK and high street retail, but retailers cant simply change pricing without suppliers agreement.

Well, I could be wrong.. they have some sort of agreement with Microsoft on price setting, but Walmart is simply too big to have to deal with that kind of thing.

twilo99

GIF by Tokkingheads

If Microsoft sold Walmart XSX units for 425 dollars per unit and then said they'll discount those units an additional 75 dollars if they sell them for 350, Walmart is more than happy to.

When manufacturers do black friday sales, do you think they're dictating the price cut to stores that bought items at full price?

I don’t know, that would mean that said stock is on credit and not paid for by the retailer unless it actually sells?

Kinda weird they didn't do this for black friday if it's on sale but then again it's not this price on the official website 🤔 maybe Amazon and Walmart jumped the gun

Darsxx82

No, the global market isn't equal to the North American market.
LOL, USA market is a part of that global market for a product that is supposedly global.

An individual user in Europe might generate the same revenue, but the value of that user is not equal.

Imagine two kids both get an XSX for Christmas. One is in the US and the other is in Germany. Both tell their friends how much they like it. Which is more likely to have an impact in terms of repeat sales?

The same?? The important thing is to boost sales, especially where it costs more. It's just as important for that German kid to make his close friends discover a product with less traction than the kid in the USA where XBOX is much more established.
The answer is the one in the US where the market is more malleable.

Microsoft has a better ability to retain market share in the US than they do trying to create new market share in Europe. It's just a fact, but the fact that Microsoft has to essentially create a fire sale in order to sell XSX should tell everyone where the state of Xbox is today.
And that's why I'm saying it's an MS error... If you are selling a global product, the logical and honest thing to do with potential users is not to make distinctions. Or at least not make such extreme distinctions as this. I don't know their calculations and internal sales studies, but they will certainly have an easy time identifying the reason for not having incentivized sales (at least at the level of 2021 and 2022) in the EU. Their offers have simply been ridiculous while the competence in EU has been matched US offer for months.

Kinda weird they didn't do this for black friday if it's on sale but then again it's not this price on the official website 🤔 maybe Amazon and Walmart jumped the gun

This is almost certainly a result of poor black friday sales and keep in mind that black friday sales for consoles lasted like 3 weeks. Either Microsoft was disappointed with sales, the retailers, or both.

Little Mac

Would jump on this had I not just bought a PS5. I was on the fence between the two consoles for weeks leading up to Black Friday. Paralysis by analysis. Some GAF members I respect helped me choose. After an hour or so playing Astro’s Playroom, I’m satisfied with my decision and look forward catching up on the PS5 games released so far this generation. I still have a little fomo because I’ve been on the Xbox side of things since the PS3 launch, but nonetheless I’m really enjoying the PS5 son far.

Regardless, if MS is behind the price drop, why the hell would they wait till after Black Friday/Cyber Monday? If this was available a week ago, I wouldn't have jumped camps. Series X at $350 is fucking steal. Congrats to anyone who picks one up at that price.

Top Bottom