• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X - $349 (clearing stock for refresh?)

Mephisto40

I can't imagine they would introduce another sku, it's bad enough that they have one console holding the other one back at the moment, I can't imagine they'd introduce another one

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think they are just trying to sell more units. I don't expect a refresh...but you never know. :/

Playstation has been like £130 off for months in the UK and sony has been decimating the xbox due to this. Xbox just need to make this the permanent price.

Last edited:

Kurotri

Hold on, are my eyes seeing right? This isn't refurbished or used, they are selling a brand new packaged Series X for 350 dollars? Broo...
It's funny because I sold mine for 350 too, I had it originally set at 400 since it's 550 dollar console (well, was?) and nothing happened for weeks.

Mowcno

I think they are just trying to sell more units. I don't expect a refresh...but you never know. :/

Playstation has been like £130 off for months in the UK and sony has been decimating the xbox due to this. Xbox just need to make this the permanent price.
$350 series X would cost them a fortune. They'll be losing a lot of money on each unit sold at this price. Let's not forget they actually raised the price of the Series X in a lot of regions this year due to costs. This price is unsustainable.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Isn’t this mainly US sale though? And stock seems to be sold out at Amazon already so only Walmart left, and that not for long.

Ar¢tos

$350 series X would cost them a fortune. They'll be losing a lot of money on each unit sold at this price.
After 70bn for Activision this year, what is a few millions from subsidising XSX price?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
$350 series X would cost them a fortune. They'll be losing a lot of money on each unit sold at this price. Let's not forget they actually raised the price of the Series X in a lot of regions this year due to costs. This price is unsustainable.

what would it cost them do you think?

splattered

If they are smart and are going to announce a refresh without a disc they need to at least make an external disc drive optional like the ps5. I have 4 series X in my house... Not sure why I would need the refresh unless there was a slight performance boost? Though I will definitely pick up the new controllers.

Astray

Yes and even more considering the bundles are $350 also.
How much fucking stock do they have on those shelves? And how low did the inventory turnover get?

Those are the only explanations that come to mind that would explain this level of price drop.

Mowcno

what would it cost them do you think?

Phil Spencer 26th Oct 2022 - "So when somebody goes and they buy an Xbox at their local retailer we’re subsidizing that purchase somewhere between a hundred and two hundred dollars, with the expectation that we will recoup that investment over time through accessory sales and storefront."

According to him they were losing between $100-$200 when someone bought a Series S/X. Now drop the price by $150? Yikes. Assuming the same costs still that would change his quote to $250-$350 loss.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Series X 349, series S 199 would be fatality!
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

xbox_roadmap_to_2030_slide_deck_series_x_brooklin.jpg

xbox_roadmap_to_2030_slide_deck_sebile_controller.jpg
The controller is still coming but I don’t think this console is

Will look very foolish to launch a redesign of the current model with no power increase at $499 at the same time a twice as powerful PS5 Pro launches

phant0m

dunno why they didnt make this the BF price. would have smashed.

hopefully GS gets the price drop too (still $450 on their site), i might trade in me One X for it

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This may just be for sales, as the Refresh was slated for 2024 according to leaks, not 2023.

The most likely answer.

PS5 also dropped to $350 for a limited time during black friday.

Damn, so if I want a SX for improved BC over my One X I should be getting one now rather than later. Hmm... decisions, decisions.

At that price, it's a "buy and forget about everything else" kind of a deal. You'll essentially have the best Xbox until the next-gen, better BC than One X, better versions of all games on any cross-gen Xbox console and of course, new-gen only games that won't be on One X.

It doesn't look like they're going to do a spec-enhanced mid-gen console this time.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Fire sale.
How much fucking stock do they have on those shelves? And how low did the inventory turnover get?

Those are the only explanations that come to mind that would explain this level of price drop.
They saw the November numbers for Xbox vs PS5. It's not good.

Mowcno

The most likely answer.

PS5 also dropped to $350 for a limited time during black friday.

That is for the Old ps5 model... So part of the clearing stock before refresh deals. Not comparable to this if no Series X replacement is imminent.

"So, why the heck is Target selling the PS5 for $350? Well, it probably has something to do with the launch of the PS5 Slim earlier this month. The PS5 Slim has replaced the standard PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition. "

Last edited:

Even the Diablo IV bundle is $350.

A huge rumor going around is they'll announce the slim (without a disc drive) at the VGAs. Meaning if you want one with a disc, grab it now.

Massive, massive mistake.

A very north American centric move again brought to you by the company that complains about other companies making it hard for them to compete.

Mowcno

My guess is Walmart had way more stock than they wanted left after BF cause it didn't sell. So they slashed the price heavily to get rid of it and free up space. Amazon just price matched them but didn't have much stock and sold out quickly. That's my speculation, that Walmart was having a hard time selling Xbox consoles over BF.

If this was an official promotion MS would have publicised it. Walmart just wants to get shot of this stock that wasn't moving.

Last edited:
I still have the XBone X with a disk drive, I can use that to play my back compat 360 collection.
The Series X might be taking a little trip to Gamestop for a trade in.
Need a dog carrier to put it in. I know how much the console hates going to the Gamestop.

Zuzu

If that leaked refresh console is still coming then they've gotta release it in the next couple of months. If they release it next to the PS5 Pro it will just look stupid (unless the Pro is significantly more expensive). But if they release it soon, then it'll have about a year on the market before the Pro comes and there won't be such a stark comparison between it and the Pro, at least for a while. If they are releasing it, hopefully they've fast-tracked the process and will release it soon. I may buy one and get rid of my Series S which is my other Xbox. I'll get the all digital refresh but still keep my disc Series X for my disc games.

Last edited:

NeonDelta

It could be, but low sales numbers also imply that they are being very aggressive in order to salvage holiday numbers for the console. A refresh is still far away. Announcing a slim at the vga also sounds very very “Xbox fan podcast” rumor material, when it really makes no sense to do that at the vga.

It’s a good deal either way.
They announced the series x at the VGAs a year before release so no reason they wouldn’t announce the slim that way too

dave_d

MS probably has the numbers that nobody's buying physical games on Xbox anymore so makes sense to just drop the disk drive and go all out digital. Maybe it'll suck if you have a big collection of BC-compatible games though.
It is the best system to play Ninja Gaiden Black. (It loads it faster than the One X when I tried the disk on both.)

It's just speculation at this point. But, yes, an all digital SKU will be a mistake if they stop production of the disc model at the same time.

I suspect much of that leak will come to fruition. I know Spencer hand waved them but it's incredibly difficult to pivot that much, that quickly with hardware, projections etc

I hope they'll have an optional drive.

Otherwise they'll get eaten alive by Switch 2 (which will massively eat into interest of both the PS5 and Xbox) and PS5 Pro.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
They announced the series x at the VGAs a year before release so no reason they wouldn’t announce the slim that way too
A new console and a slim console are not the same thing. It would be like saying GTA 6 is coming next year vs GTA5 remake is coming next year. One will not change the sales of GTA5. One certaintly will. Xbox can't have the stocks for a new Xbox without anyone leaking something. They got the Series S leaked for god sake. But even if they could keep the secret, doing this the month of the GTA 6 reveal would be unwise. Especially if a PS5 Pro is happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom