• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X hands on previews are live

Go collect your MS points for my ban @Bill O'Rights , you earned them :)

jjpAj0W.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
You don't know anything about how HDDs and SSDs are formatted, the OS doesn't take up 200GB. Do you really think you're going to have 800GB usable on the PS5? Realistically it's going to have about 750GB out the box.
Of course I do know how SSD and HDD are formatted. But they advertised 1TB so 800GB being available usable space means 200GB is taken by the OS after everything is said and done. Also Xbox OS is chunky, it takes 138GB on current gen consoles, PS4 is smaller just ~60GB.

Redlancet

Banned
I know people are hating on this for them showing BC games, but besides one or 2 games for both systems, what games are you going to be playing the most the first year or 2 of the new systems?

Hint: your enhanced PS4 and Xbox 1/1X games.
I pretty sure ps5 its launching with some exclusive games and lots more in 2021

JLMC469

Banned
Why buy it? Where's the incentive? They have no exclusive titles because they are all on PC as well, I might as well just build a rig and play games at better fresh rates and graphics anyways. However again, the most important thing to a console is the games, where are they again?

Ask MS. Not me.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Of course I do know how SSD and HDD are formatted. But they advertised 1TB so 800GB being available usable space means 200GB is taken by the OS after everything is said and done. Also Xbox OS is chunky, it takes 138GB on current gen consoles, PS4 is smaller just ~60GB.

A 1TB drive has ~930GB usable after formatting and before any OS is installed on it.

A 825GB drive has ~760GB usable after formatting and before any OS is installed on it.

The OS isn't taking up 200GB.

ruvikx

Banned
i am not sure i qualify for that moniker since my most recent game console was a 2nd hand PS2... But i have seen enough that if Xbox fans aren't concerned, they should be.

Why? The One X had the best performing multiplats & had the best backwards compatibility as well, i.e. with older games running much better (some with free 4k patches as well). So if there's an aspect Xbox fans have zero reason to be concerned, it's the actual hardware & game performance, past & present.

All the usual third party AAA titles are coming, as per usual. Plus gamepass, so 'new games' on the system aren't a problem either.

ethomaz

Banned
You don't know anything about how HDDs and SSDs are formatted, the OS doesn't take up 200GB. Do you really think you're going to have 800GB usable on the PS5? Realistically it's going to have about 750GB out the box.
A 1TB drive has ~930GB usable after formatting and before any OS is installed on it.

A 825GB drive has ~760GB usable after formatting and before any OS is installed on it.

He is talking about that.

It seems it is confirmed the OS take around 200GB.

I don't care about what's space is usable after formatting. They advertise 1TB on the box and 800GB is usable from that advertised 1TB. Not that hard to understand what I'm saying.
You are right... from the 1TB about 802GB are usable for games... 198GB is reserved for OS.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One question..... why are so many of the ray tracing features delayed?
Like Halo, it was stated to be added later in a patch and DMCV, also stated it would not launch with ray tracing.....
Then they have not shown any next gen games on the console. Very suspicious.
If I may guess, something with AMD implementation, like a new SDk, they nearly as proefficient in software side of things as nVidia is.

Tripolygon

Banned

I don't care about what's space is usable after formatting. They advertise 1TB on the box and 800GB is usable from that advertised 1TB. Not that hard to understand what I'm saying.

wolffy71

Banned
Lol i know everyones excited but its hard for me to get excited over saving 10 secs of my day due to quicker loading times. And quick resume? Who really changes games more than once or twice a session? Sometimes maybe but usually not.

PaNaMa

Banned
"we have the most powerful console ever made, here's how it plays old games" 🤦

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING NEW GAMES MICROSOFT? ARE YOU TELLING ME TO SPEND $500 PLUS TAX TO PLAY OLD GAMES? GTFO.

Where is the PC community outrage when a new video card releases that makes existing games play a lot better?
Is everyone mad as fucking hell because the new technology didn't come with its own custom new game built only for this technology?
Isn't it good enough that your new system plays all stuff (existing and upcoming) way better than your old one did?

Last edited:

nosseman

I wonder if games like Doom Eternal will look better without a patch?

Doom (2016 and many more games) uses dynamic resolution to always reach desired fps (to a limit). If the engine all of a sudden get 5-6 times more power to play with the resolution can be much higher.

First time buying a hard drive? They are never the full size they advertise.

You should also expect some form of a massive step down in storage space on PS5. I expect the 825 to be 700.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah, but consoles, at least Microsoft side of things are in GiB, which means that it's divided by 1024 and not 1000, so that means, that even games takes "less space", but rather they have smaller number in size.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I wonder if games like Doom Eternal will look better without a patch?

Doom (2016 and many more games) uses dynamic resolution to always reach desired fps (to a limit). If the engine all of a sudden get 5-6 times more power to play with the resolution can be much higher.
I think that is VERY likely, borderline guaranteed if it's using dynamic res.

TheContact

Most likely it's due to the Velocity architecture, it seems to reserve storage for a "cache" type of system

The SSD storage to also used to augment memory through the various technologies under the 'Xbox Velocity Architecture' umbrella. "The idea, in basic terms at least, is pretty straightforward - the game package that sits on storage essentially becomes extended memory, allowing 100GB of game assets stored on the SSD to be instantly accessible by the developer," continued Digital Foundry in the breakdown - which also explains more about the other Velocity Architecture technologies technologies at play, from Sampler Feedback Streaming to high-speed hardware decompression, if you want the ins and outs of how this works:
src

Funny enough that a ps3 game with new graphics looks a hell of a lot better than Microsoft's biggest and most important franchise.
gifntext-gif.gif

my gif <3

Last edited:

Dibils2k

Lol i know everyones excited but its hard for me to get excited over saving 10 secs of my day due to quicker loading times. And quick resume? Who really changes games more than once or twice a session? Sometimes maybe but usually not.
its not by session though, you could have 3 games in "quick resume" and be able to open and close them where you left off for weeks or forever, so you will not have to sit through a beginning sequence of all logos everytime you wanna play!

Quick Resume is actually a very cool feature

Last edited:
"we have the most powerful console ever made, here's how it plays old games" 🤦

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING NEW GAMES MICROSOFT? ARE YOU TELLING ME TO SPEND $500 PLUS TAX TO PLAY OLD GAMES? GTFO.
Some of you are really embarrassing. Do you think all the 98 percent of the same games coming for both PS5 and series x won’t come out for the X because console wars?

VinnyMac

Still blows my mind

MS:here's are new console....but you can only play BC games no new games.

Like I get it you want it in the hands of alot of influencers and what not but like I feel like they needed to give some kinda demo something even a forza track a flight simulator demo show that power off

Last edited:
Yes, because next gen games have embargos....

Do you really think that developers are going to just give out their games to jurnos to try out over a month before release?

A vid from Microsoft in the next few weeks would be nice, PS5 has shown Call of Duty, maybe MS can have CD show Cyberpunk 2077 Series X gameplay in a new Night City episode or something

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
still no new games being shown. i'm worrying MS might be hiding something
A couple points 1. They seem to be forcing a slow drip of info here by limiting what they can talk about 2. These are supposedly not final consoles so they wouldn't want reviews based on a non final product. They are, again supposedly, coming soon. Probably the last thing they will release to keep a sort of cycle of new review content/pr.

Arkam

Seeing those improved load times on X1 games is like watching a past crime being made right. Love it! Have high hopes for games this gen being optimized for the SSDs and we can keep those load times down to <10s across the board.

onQ123

Yes, because next gen games have embargos....

Do you really think that developers are going to just give out their games to jurnos to try out over a month before release?

The hell are you talking about? I was just letting you know that the people who are releasing the previews isn't holding back on next gen games because of a embargo it's because they didn't play the next gen games at all.

Tripolygon

Banned
Most likely it's due to the Velocity architecture, it seems to reserve storage for a "cache" type of system

src
I don't think so. I think the OS is chunky like current Xbox OS but they also have to reserve some space for the quick switch feature where you can switch between 3 to 5 games. There is no cache type system at play with Velocity architecture.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

Are you going to call out Sony when they advertise 825Gb on the box and you're left with less than 700GB when you turn it on?

This is the case with EVERY HDD. Anyone who doesn't know that HDD usable space is lower than what's on the box is being disingenuous.

Traxtech

So i had a look at gamespots loading comparison.

Final fantasy 15 loads in 51 seconds on the Xbox series x and 2 minutes 14 on the Xbox one x.

Fired up my save on a PS4 Pro with a ssd and it ended up taking 1 minute 32 seconds. That's a decent chunk of time saved!

Rolla

Banned
Just so we're crystal clear is there any next gen games running on the system with these impressions. I really don't want to miss that so if I did, please post a link.

wolffy71

Banned
its not by session though, you could have 3 games in "quick resume" and be able to open and close them where you left off for weeks or forever, so you will not have to sit through a beginning sequence of all logos everytime you wanna play!

Quick Resume is actually a very cool feature
True good point i guess. Still not super exciting for me personally. I must be more patient than most lol.

TigerKnee

Wow lots of Sony fans jumping in with the typical BS. "bbbbut old games!" I'm glad it's getting previewed now. New games will come eventually (see Bethesda acquisition). As someone that's going to get a PS5, I am disappointed in the information I received from Sony versus what Microsoft has given me about the Series.

Top Bottom