• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X hands on previews are live

Zathalus

Just so we're crystal clear is there any next gen games running on the system with these impressions. I really don't want to miss that so if I did, please post a link.
It doesn't appear that Microsoft gave any games to go with the new system, so users had to test what was on the marketplace or had on hand at this time. I'm sure next gen demonstrations are coming eventually.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

Some of you are really embarrassing. Do you think all the 98 percent of the same games coming for both PS5 and series x won’t come out for the X because console wars?
Of course they will. Taking a defensive position is more embarrassing I'd say, my point is incentive to buy the new console, if playing old games on the new console rocks your boat than more power to you. I'm asking for new entries on existing franchises. You are mistaken if you think my post has anything to do with ps5. It has to do with the failure of a company focusing so much on the power war that they forgot that what matters the most are the games. Plain and simple. A perfect example is the Nintendo switch. A potato console/handheld with some of the best games in the market.

Andodalf

Banned
Of course they will. Taking a defensive position is more embarrassing I'd say, my point is incentive to buy the new console, if playing old games on the new console rocks your boat than more power to you. I'm asking for new entries on existing franchises. You are mistaken if you think my post has anything to do with ps5. It has to do with the failure of a company focusing so much on the power war that they forgot that what matters the most are the games. Plain and simple. A perfect example is the Nintendo switch. A potato console/handheld with some of the best games in the market.

Do you think that this is the only XSX coverage that will happen? That they decided to have this today and then go silent until launch day? More is coming, as should be obvious.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
FFXV looks better than FFXVI.

:messenger_neutral:
a game that released compared to game that hasnt......
_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
something that wont pan out for 3-4 years, GREAT! what can I play exclusive at launch again?

It's funny. Ps4 had a shitty launch lime up, but everyone wanted ps4 because they knew the games they'd get a few years down the line.

Funny how xbox can't have the same benefits. I guess i
The arguments is what fits your agenda right now.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
It's funny. Ps4 had a shitty launch lime up, but everyone wanted ps4 because they knew the games they'd get a few years down the line.

Funny how xbox can't have the same benefits. I guess i
The arguments is what fits your agenda right now.
Playstation has a better track record down the line with actual games that are quality, usually they struggle out of the gate and pick up the pace where as MS starts out great and slacks later on. Now they are just slacking. MS this gen didnt have many exclusive games that I would put the word "quality" next to them

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Are you going to call out Sony when they advertise 825Gb on the box and you're left with less than 700GB when you turn it on?

This is the case with EVERY HDD. Anyone who doesn't know that HDD usable space is lower than what's on the box is being disingenuous.
I'm not calling out anyone. I am stating information like it is.

On PS4 500GB HDD - 407GB is available
On PS4 1TB HDD - 861GB is available
On Xbox One 500GB HDD - 362GB is available
On Xbox One 1TB HDD - 780.9GB available
On Series X 1TB SSD - 800GB is available (small improvement from Xbox One)
On Series S 500GB SSD - 300GB available (this is my guess based on X)

We don't have any information for PS5. Feel free to post it when it comes out if that will make you feel better. My estimate is around 680 to 700GB will be useable space from 825GB.

Last edited:

Elog

Maybe it is just me but I have not found too much to be impressed about apart from how silent it is and the snappy OS - really nice. The BC performance - while not tested with patches - does not really impress me given the known GPU capability differences. The same goes for the loading times - it is not game changing based on the values seen (fully understanding that the tested games does not seem to utilise the DirectStorage API).

dEvAnGeL

Do you think that this is the only XSX coverage that will happen? That they decided to have this today and then go silent until launch day? More is coming, as should be obvious.
If that is the case. Their marketing approach is not very smart, you have a console releasing in less than 2 months and are waiting until last minute to show the games? We haven't seen a single game being played on the XseX aside from backwards compatible games. Even halo infinite was being played on a PC.

Kokoloko85

I really hope PS5 has quick Resume for multiple titles.

And damn I wish we had the same free boost mode for PS4 games... No1 has mentioned anything since Cerny apart from if its Unlocked FPS it will go to 60fps.... what about effects and true 4K?

Not that impressed with the loading times though, hoping all the new ssd tech for PS5 will be faster than those

azz0r

Banned
So if last gen games are taking 10+ seconds, can I expect actual next gen games to take longer or the same?

Reindeer

Not that impressed with the loading times though
Not sure what you were expecting from games that were not made with SSD in mind, they were clearly coded for HDD. You aren't gonna see crazy fast loading unless the game was made for SSD.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Playstation has a better track record down the line with actual games that are quality, usually they struggle out of the gate and pick up the pace where as MS starts out great and slacks later on. Now they are just slacking. MS this gen didnt have many exclusive games that I would put the word "quality" next to them

I love how the quality of gaming is objective and not subjective, and there's even some fact list about it. Guess Microsoft didn't get the memo about making cinematic games and that's why they suffer.

It's a shame The Elder Scrolls and the Fallout franchises are dog shit as well. I feel sad for Microsoft for having shitty games.

Oh wait, I thought xbox had no games?

These fanboy arguments are really confusing lately.

Rolla

Banned
But next gen games aren't even out yet?

So what you're saying is that XBOX has to wait on the physical disc before they show the content we've seen running on PC?

Come on good brother. Not like this.

Asking for next gen content running on the next gen hardware shouldn't be a point of contention among us as gamers. I don't get the strategy or the reasoning. I'm sure XBOX has a plan. I'm just wondering why this late in the game I haven't seen next gen content on the series X.

Tripolygon

Banned
I really hope PS5 has quick Resume for multiple titles.

And damn I wish we had the same free boost mode for PS4 games... No1 has mentioned anything since Cerny apart from if its Unlocked FPS it will go to 60fps.... what about effects and true 4K?

Not that impressed with the loading times though, hoping all the new ssd tech for PS5 will be faster than those
I hope it does for only 1 game. That would eat into SSD space available for games. Quick resume for 1 game is enough so i can switch between one other game rather than 3 to 5.

Reindeer

So what you're saying is that XBOX has to wait on the physical disc before they show the content we've seen running on PC?

Come on good brother. Not like this.

Asking for next gen content running on the next gen hardware shouldn't be a point of contention among us as gamers. I don't get the strategy or the reasoning. I'm sure XBOX has a plan. I'm just wondering why this late in the game I haven't seen next gen content on the series X.
You have unrealistic expectations. Microsoft don't have any first party games launching so they have nothing to show, and third party aren't gonna be showing anything before release.

Ozrimandias

a game that released compared to game that hasnt......
_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.jpg

I can see what he's talking about. The game doesn't look the way it should, Every Final Fantasy represents a notorious jump in quality over its predecessor, like XIII compared to X, XV compared to XIII and in a minor way VII Remake compared to XV, this is not perceptible in XVI. What's wrong with you. are you trying to troll?

Dr.D00p

This is a console but its like experiencing a GPU upgrade to your PC for the first time in a few years and loading up all your old games that used to chug along at low framerates.

..weird.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The data throughput is weak as fuck. How can the external SSD be close to 100% faster than the internal?

the load times for bc are without optimization as well? red dead really needed this
Yeas, you cannot easily just use that decompressing algorythm coming with Velocity, if game does not call it's API, so CPU is decompressing everything and that is obviously with it's issues.

Last edited:

Elog

Yeas, you cannot easily just use that decompressing algorythm coming with Velocity, if game does not call it's API, so CPU is decompressing everything and that is obviously with it's issues.

Assuming. that the PS5 works as Cerny described it, a lot of the PS5's improved I/O will work without specific code when it comes to loading times. Instant texture loading and expanding the VRAM pool will obviously require specific coding though.

Will be interesting to get the BC benchmarks with the two consoles.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Assuming. that the PS5 works as Cerny described it, a lot of the PS5's improved I/O will work without specific code when it comes to loading times. Instant texture loading and expanding the VRAM pool will obviously require specific coding though.

Yeah but at least it would have to be compiled with new SDK, this things just does not magically happens.

That said, they have controll over API calls and they can intercept them and obviously change them to make use of new HW, however I cannot see them doing this, as the BC is hardly a big focus with PS5 I feel.

Tripolygon

Banned

There will be improvement but to take advantage of the full capability you definitely need to use the new API on Series X and PS5. Games are hard coded on consoles to certain things that is why the load time for example will be slower than for a game made specifically for next gen hardware on Xbox Series X/S and PS5.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is because Ryzen is amazing and Jaguar is huge trash, so people are still not understanding the jump around the CPU. Maybe this gen GPU will be the problem.

Well, I think it has a little to do with the amazing GPU too, lol, but absolutely. I really want to get off of cross-gen so we can actually see some awesome jumps in AI, interactivity, whatever, thanks to that crazy leap.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
For all this "i have a pc so Xbox exclusives don't matter" or "why bother with Xbox when I can just upgrade my pc??", you just know a healthy chunk of these people will not be able to run next gen games on their current rig or be able to afford the upgrades that bring it in line with Series X performance anyways. It's a pacifier.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

]To add salt to the wound.

Playstation Plus collection (with a strong compilation of games) is for one year.
Gamepass is till you end your subscription.

An external HDD can be placed in your series x, playing instantly your games if you have it in your xbox one x
Right now, nobody knows how this works on ps5. Nobody knows also what ssd is compatible with ps5

CrysisFreak

Banned
Wow lots of Sony fans jumping in with the typical BS. "bbbbut old games!" I'm glad it's getting previewed now. New games will come eventually (see Bethesda acquisition). As someone that's going to get a PS5, I am disappointed in the information I received from Sony versus what Microsoft has given me about the Series.
Nah they're both bad. MS more so imho.
Sony delivers on next-gen gameplay captured straight from PS5 but irrationally lets us wait for UI and stuff.
MS fails to deliver next-gen gameplay captured on Seriex but is transparent about the UI.

Top Bottom