• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X still use Batteries for the Controller WTF???

I prefer AA batteries. I’ve got a pack that recharges 6 AA at a time. Use them in lots of stuff. Don’t get why people are mad. I hated having to plug up when my battery was low. This way, I just pop in a new, recharged set and keep rocking.

Hostile_18

Banned
While there is an environmental concern I think on the whole giving people a choice is a good thing. Especially if the internal battery life is as short as on the Playstation.

Alx

You might want to look into into different kinds of batteries and why they exist. There's a reason my pc mouse doesn't need a battery change in 2 years but my controller does every 2 days.

Well obviously there would still need different technologies and form factors, just like regular batteries have AA, AAA, ... plus different kinds of ways to store energy. Specific standards would include all the advanced features a modern device needs now. I know people would use the common argument "it would slow down innovation", but that innovation can be put on the battery providers, just like the Duracell and Wonder did for "old" batteries.

Allandor

Just use some relative cheap rechargeable batteries and be happy. Still use the one I used in my xbox 360 and they are still working (not like most internal batteries).

Btw, I also have a wired xbox controller for the PC. But I just use my normal controller with batteries because the one without is not heavy enough. Just doesn't feel right in my hands.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I actually prefer the play and charge kit battery. I dont even take it out of the controller. OP is being sarcastic right?

7 year later and mine still lasts the whole day without having to charge. My DS4 feels like its dead much faster even with the light set to low.

93xfan

Banned
i conect my ps4 controller via usb cable in a laptop with port usb and Zero problem to use it.

What a convenient solution. I’m sure every gamer has a laptop nearby that is charged up enough to charge our wireless controllers while we play.

seriously, wouldn’t you rather have a plug and play kit that charges just by plugging it in and lasts a long time before needing another charge? Then you could actually game wirelessly.

Yes, I get the extra $20 is no fun, but it’s certainly not the end of the world

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Let's not pretend people have a phone as long as a console generation lasts.

Also PS4s controllers batteries dies pretty fast, it even comes occasionally on this forum.

Mobile phones aren't made to last 7 years like a console generation, just like the PS4 controller. I only use my PS4 for Netflix and chill and even by that usage my controller more or less has to be permanently on charging cable cus the battery is as good as dead.
Rechargeable batteries deteriorate ever so slightly every single time they are charged and their capacity diminishes over time...
I would say there's a lot of people who replace their phone not because it's not good anymore but because their battery doesn't hold a charge anymore? Maybe you missed the point here?

-------------------

Also, please join the follow-up threads

Playstation 5 still use wall socket for the console WTF???
Xbox Series X still use graphics to show game WTF???
Switch still use fun for the Gameplay WTF???
Yes but they degrade over time, the more you charge it. I can only imagine the ones inside the PS4 controllers are smaller than your standard mobile phone battery inside iPhones or androids.

Not really though.
My launch controller still lasts a good seven hours. You should easily get a generations worth out of them and then some.

Shin

Banned
A choice is presented, it's not like the battery is aren't removable - literally whining for the sake whining.

Speaking to Digital Foundry, Jason Ronald – partner director of program management at Xbox – said that the split between people who want a rechargeable controller and those who prefer batteries is roughly 50/50, and so giving players a separate option to use a rechargeable battery pack if they want strikes a best of both worlds situation.

“What it comes down to is when actually talking to gamers, it’s kind of polarising and there is a strong camp that really want AAs,” he said. “So just giving flexibility is the way to please both [sets of] people… You can use a rechargeable battery pack and it works just like it does on the Elite, [but] it is a separate thing.”

It is, of course, worth mentioning that rechargeable battery pack is a separate purchase, which means those who want it have to spend extra money on it. Then again, a rechargeable controller would run the risk of having a short battery life – down the road if not right off the bat – so both options present potential issues.

cHaOs667

As I have two sons, I have tons of enerloop AA batteries and I love them.
My X1 controllers last longer than the PS4 ones AND if they run empty I just swap them out for charged ones - without having the fear that my wife or my kids did not charged the second PS4 controller.

Alphagear

Not a big deal for me considering what else XSX offers harrdware wise but some people on this thread actually prefering batteries over charging cause you need to charge a controller after 6 hours which is a hassle? I mean seriously? Guess mobile phones, laptops and next Nintendo Switch should return to AA batteries. Far more convenient than charging. Unbelievable lol.

Heck I've been using the same pair since my late 360 days, This is nice to know. I don't see why folks are kicking a stink about something that could potentially fail that is easy to replace and sort on the users end.

Alphagear

Rechargeable batteries deteriorate ever so slightly every single time they are charged and their capacity diminishes over time...
AA batteries corrode like others ruining devices which is worse. i have had a Xbox 360 battery compartment ruined because of it cause the X360 was collecting dust having not used it for months. Seen the same thing happen on Wii remotes and Gameboys. Definitely more negatives with AA batteries but not the end of the world.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I get the pro-generic battery argument...

...but the controllers should be cheaper to compensate. Not having to include a lithium ion battery is, I would imagine, a significant savings for them, and that should be passed on to the user, either through pricing, or a more premium feeling controller.

As it is, paying the same amount as PS4 controllers for something that basically demands an Eneloop or Play & Charge Kit (if that’s still a thing) add-on purchase, is a bit of a rip.

giphy.gif

To be fair, you can use whatever batteries you want. Rechargable batteries get fucked over years of use so being able to swap them out with ease is probably better.

Not because i recharge when is almost out the battery, when is ready of course i disconect it.

I never have problem in recharge the dualshock 4, honestly at least for me i always play the ps4 and turn on my laptop in front of me xD
Rechargeable batteries cost $5-$10, you'd rather pay $1000-$2000 for a laptop?

TBiddy

...but the controllers should be cheaper to compensate. Not having to include a lithium ion battery is, I would imagine, a significant savings for them, and that should be passed on to the user, either through pricing, or a more premium feeling controller.

As it is, paying the same amount as PS4 controllers for something that basically demands an Eneloop or Play & Charge Kit (if that’s still a thing) add-on purchase, is a bit of a rip.

I've bolded the important part. All the DS4 controllers I've handled have felt cheap, compared to the XB1 controllers. It could be where the savings from not having internal battery went. Not that a battery is that expensive. I don't imagine it costs more than 2-3$.

Surely the people complaining about Xbox controllers using AA are taking the kids?
I bought 2 x 4 Pack of rechargable AA batteries for $10, and I have 6 AA fully charged batteries on standby. Not a problem. In fact there was nothing more annoying playing my PS4, battery then goes flat and I have to find the cable and plug it in to keep playing. If anyone's playing with antiquated controllers, its not me with my Xbox controller.
MS showing the way with pro consumer practices again.

Last edited:

Three

Yes, fuck you Xbox for allowing me to use the exact rechargeable batteries I've been using for my Xbox One for the past 7 years.

Fuck you indeed.

ab124ba6732890ab94068f767587ee80.jpg
And yet they charge you the same for the controller and expect you to buy batteries. Yes I'd say fuck you. Bet you bought that poor build quality $180 version too.

I cannot believe anyone who would rather stock up on aa batteries than use a rechargeable built in one. Even at a battery life of 4 hours or so, i would still prefer to just charge mine up than keep having to buy batteries. What if we run out of batteries? It is a cost cutting measure, which is fair enough if microsoft can ensure a good pricepoint for the series x.

I just charge my controllers whilst in rest mode or using my portable charger. It really isn’t an issue and who plays for more than 3 hours at a time anyway?

D3SCHA1N

I'd rather buy a play & charge kit than a whole new controller multiple times. PS4's internal rechargables degrade so fast I'm literally on my 1st xbox controller and my 4th, maybe 5th ps4 controller, lost count honestly. Running on AA batteries & offering a play & charge kit for quite a reasonable price is far more flexible than just forcing consumers to buy a whole new controller when your low quality internal battery deteriorates. Strange way to interpret it tbh...

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot believe anyone who would rather stock up on aa batteries than use a rechargeable built in one. Even at a battery life of 4 hours or so, i would still prefer to just charge mine up than keep having to buy batteries. What if we run out of batteries? It is a cost cutting measure, which is fair enough if microsoft can ensure a good pricepoint for the series x.

I just charge my controllers whilst in rest mode or using my portable charger. It really isn’t an issue and who plays for more than 3 hours at a time anyway?
Most people buy rechargeable batteries, not batteries that you throw away once depleted...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Ugh, I hate the prices of controllers this gen. In Canada, PS4 controllers are about $50 if I remember correctly, which isn't bad when you compare them to XB1 which are $69 (about $80 with tax in my province) Joycons are $99 (about $114) and Pro Controllers are around $89.

Of course you have cheaper third party options, but I'm rarely impressed with the build quality.

Last edited:

Banned
how people find it in any way a bad thing that you can use multiple kinds of battery and easily remove and replace them will always be the funniest shit to me.

I just love laughing at stupidity :)

oh the humanity! how will I survive with the choice of using AA batteries or a first party battery pack... or even third party battery packs?

HOW WOULD ANYONE SURVIVE SUCH HARDSHIPS?

Stuart360

how people find it in any way a bad thing that you can use multiple kinds of battery and easily remove and replace them will always be the funniest shit to me.

I just love laughing at stupidity :)

oh the humanity! how will I survive with the choice of using AA batteries or a first party battery pack... or even third party battery packs?

HOW WOULD ANYONE SURVIVE SUCH HARDSHIPS?
Yeah its weird how certain people see things differently. I would of actually thought Microsofts way of doing it was pro consumer, not anticonsumer.

ANYONE that defends this is pretty much just coming out and admitting to being a blind Xbox fanboy.

Not putting in an internal battery is fine, but you have to include the charge kit with the controller, they are just giving you nothing and pushing the cost of the battery on the gamer.

oldergamer

This thread sounds like fake outrage by a sony fan that has no idea you can get removable recharge packs for xbox super cheap.

You literally have 3 different options which is great and better the being forced to replace a controller when the built in battery dies permanently.

Yeah, because having to buy two controllers or having a cord constantly hooked up because your battery life is 6 hours is such a better alternative.

You can barely even complete The Order 1886 without your batteries going dead.
5 post in.

Just 5 posts in and the Dual shock 4 pops up in the thread. Got nothing to do with the topic at hand which is use of AA batteries in Series X controller.

You guys just can't help yourselves. It's like you have a disease. A penchant need, an itch, to fuck up a discussion. Congrats for derailing the thread you cockwomble.

On Topic:
Dont see an issue with using AA batteries but would like the alternative to use rechargeable battery packs. As long as MS still sell these, I will buy them. I much prefer a rechargeable pack over AA's of which I will have to buy a box load.

Three

Not having the option to replace internal battery is anti consumer as hell. Its my main critique to Iphone, after two or so years it degrades and slowly the phone becomes a brick.
Xbox with rechargeables is fantastic.
Here is the thing. Phones had removable batteries that came with the phone. Not including a rechargable Li-ion battery with the thing is what's anticonsumer. You can still have it be removable.

SGRU

If you learn to read then you will see that I was referencing PlayStation and Xbox.

bc92f3a127962208c22dd74c7ceb78d90d70e92f22d3ea81f3c90360426351a1.jpg

The reference to Nintendo is valid, maybe you should learn how to espress yourself. But please don't get mad at me, I don't want trouble with thoug guys!

Top Bottom