• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox seriesX Exclusive details- Gamespot

nikolino840

If you have a 55inch TV you have place for any form and dimension of a console

Sorry for the mess 😅

X1uVPzI.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If MS could not get 12tf into a quiet set top box I have no confidence that Sony can judging by the amount of noise my Pro makes. I’m guessing PS5 will also have an unconventional shape. Either that or it will be significantly louder or weaker.

Have you seen the PS5 dev kit?

MilkyJoe

Am I the only one who finds this design to be beautiful? This thing is a minimalist's dream, and it actually looks powerful! I freaking love it!
I really quite like it, and I'd happily say unless it's an absolute eyesore, console design means nothing
My point is Microsoft is not going to let Sony "punk" them again on price. They will wait for Sony to announce their PS5 price first and than announce a lower price for XBox Series X just to fuck with Sony.

No they won't, Lockhart will probably be peanuts and Scarlett will be 500

Last edited:

jonnyXx

I actually dig the design. Disappointed that the controller doesn't have paddles on the back though. I still have a sliver of hope that the DS5 will.
Don't think so dude, that would make the elite controller and the third party "pro controller" market obsolete.

If you're media cabinet can't put a device in that is 6 inches high you should bought something functional not good looking. Something that small is not going to have the volume to vent this heat monster anyway same with the ps5 these are beasts that will double as space heaters. We wanted top end power we got it and heat is the price.

Do you really think people are going to accept not being able to put a console in a space they currently can put the XBox One S/X in comfortably? Microsoft just designed themselves out of media cabinets to claim th power throne. Yikes.

Cravis

I’m still fuzzy on the backwards compatibility. Have they explicitly said it will play all XBox games back to the original? Or did they mean just the ones that are already BC on the One?

Very ambiguous and most likely done on purpose.

I’m still fuzzy on the backwards compatibility. Have they explicitly said it will play all XBox games back to the original? Or did they mean just the ones that are already BC on the One?

Very ambiguous and most likely done on purpose.

Everything that's already on the BC list, not all XBox or X360 games ever made. But all XB1 games are 100% compatible. Why is this so hard to understand, or trolling?

gatti-man

Console design? Who gives a fuck about that. It needs to be 1 powerful and 2 quiet. Consoles aren’t some show piece, they sit on a cabinet and are meant to be easily ignored visually so I can enjoy their purpose.

I hate flashy HT shit.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Do you really think people are going to accept not being able to put a console in a space they currently can put the XBox One S/X in comfortably? Microsoft just designed themselves out of media cabinets to claim th power throne. Yikes.
Thank God someone did quiet and powerful and reasonable priced that is what I care about. Not my problem someone bought media center that can only fit a DVD case in height. I could fit that thing vertically I have function over looks. I could also put a 160 pound plasma on it to and not worry.

Cravis

Everything that's already on the BC list, not all XBox or X360 games ever made. But all XB1 games are 100% compatible. Why is this so hard to understand, or trolling?
No I legit didn’t know. I haven’t had time to watch every single thing on it. Just going by the bullet points Gamespot had

It’s backwards compatible! Across all previous Xboxes! “Thanks to backward compatibility, you can expect your gaming legacy, thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, all your Xbox One gaming accessories, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to be available when you power on your Xbox Series X in Holiday 2020.

Wording makes it sound like it is all previous X Boxes.

Maybe they made it ambiguous since Sony hadn’t shown their hand. We’ve seen patents and rumors. If PS5 plays all previous PlayStation games from the original on up then they have already won next gen. Microsoft will then be in a position to have to try to cobble something together to compete because partial library doesn’t sound as appealing as saying entire library.

Mega Man

Do we think the UI will be the same? Or will they revamp it?

It models itself well after Windows 10 obvi. If they are ramping up the power, it may actually be able to handle it well.
Since they are copying and pasting the code to make Backwards Compatibility work, wouldn't it make sense to do the same with the UI?

I feel like last Gen had all these "ideas" that the hardware simply couldn't handle. Well, maybe now it can...

Last edited:

Mega Man

Oh they will revamp it, and then revamp it another 2-3 times during the course of the gen. Been this way since the 360.
I don't doubt you're right. But they have to stay consistent with the tile system right? I mean let's be real, this is their transition OUT of console gaming and into a service brand. They still want current console players to relate to Windows though, so they can sell PCs in the future... Just makes too much sense business wise

Blade2.0

Oh wait, this is the new Xbox? When people were talking about Xbox series x I literally thought we were talking about the mid gen Xbox one refresh and didn't enter the threads. Not trying to be an asshole or anything but I think this is going to have a WiiU effect if they don't change the name.

Grinchy

Banned
Oh they will revamp it, and then revamp it another 2-3 times during the course of the gen. Been this way since the 360.
And it'll be amazing when it launches, but by the end of the generation you'll wonder why it hiccups every time the pop-up tells you that Shroud has started streaming.

Blade2.0

Calling us dumb? They literally just told is that this is what the console is called and this is what it looks like. Phil Spencer even has one in his living room already. It's not a dev kit :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Someone wasn't paying attention.
Dude can't help but to foot in mouth 😅😅😆

Bryank75

Banned

Max really has a point here when he says that Xbox Series X is really reminiscent of the WiiU naming situation...

ManaByte

Oh wait, this is the new Xbox? When people were talking about Xbox series x I literally thought we were talking about the mid gen Xbox one refresh and didn't enter the threads. Not trying to be an asshole or anything but I think this is going to have a WiiU effect if they don't change the name.

Everyone keeps saying this but they can't back it up with an explanation of how.

People thought the Wii U was a new add-on controller for the Wii. No one is going to think a $500 Xbox is an add-on for their Xbox One.

Blade2.0

Everyone keeps saying this but they can't back it up with an explanation of how.

People thought the Wii U was a new add-on controller for the Wii. No one is going to think a $500 Xbox is an add-on for their Xbox One.
People also said what you just said about the WiiU and yet... All I know is that I saw Xbox series x and it didn't even register in my mind that the new one was announced and I went on with my morning.

ManaByte

People also said what you just said about the WiiU and yet... All I know is that I saw Xbox series x and it didn't even register in my mind that the new one was announced and I went on with my morning.

They revealed it on the VGAs. They didn't kick off their marketing for it because it's a YEAR AWAY.

FeldMonster

No I legit didn’t know. I haven’t had time to watch every single thing on it. Just going by the bullet points Gamespot had

Wording makes it sound like it is all previous X Boxes.

Maybe they made it ambiguous since Sony hadn’t shown their hand. We’ve seen patents and rumors. If PS5 plays all previous PlayStation games from the original on up then they have already won next gen. Microsoft will then be in a position to have to try to cobble something together to compete because partial library doesn’t sound as appealing as saying entire library.
Clearly you don't have an Xbox or follow much about Backwards Compatibility on it. Unless the PS5 reads PS1 - PS4 discs directly, which I sincerely doubt, the issue is less on the technical side, and more on the licensing side. Yes, MS tweaks their XB360 "emulator" for each game, but it is largely identical for all of them. You still need approval from the original publisher and licensees to have the software on a non-original platform.

And in turns of having to "cobble something" together on the software side, you think Microsoft is the one which will struggle? They have been working on and championing backwards compatibility for years. A Sony representative literally said that backwards compatibility doesn't matter to their consumers.

Romulus

I could care less about the shape but that name is just awful.

I really doubt ps5 will match that power though.

And go ahead and build me a PC with a 4k bluray player, zen2(even downclocked) and a 12tf GPU for $500 with at least 20gb of RAM.

Last edited:

Cravis

Clearly you don't have an Xbox or follow much about Backwards Compatibility on it. Unless the PS5 reads PS1 - PS4 discs directly, which I sincerely doubt, the issue is less on the technical side, and more on the licensing side. Yes, MS tweaks their XB360 "emulator" for each game, but it is largely identical for all of them. You still need approval from the original publisher and licensees to have the software on a non-original platform.

And in turns of having to "cobble something" together on the software side, you think Microsoft is the one which will struggle? They have been working on and championing backwards compatibility for years. A Sony representative literally said that backwards compatibility doesn't matter to their consumers.
Dude you really don’t have to be condescending. I’ve bought X Boxes since the original launch in 2001 and have over 500 games on my X so I think I know a little bit about the X Box.

Are you like 14 because you sound like a butt hurt Microsoft fanboy.

Oh and about needing permission from licensors and publishers yeah you’re totally wrong there. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to go pop a copy of Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 Into my PS2 and play it. Backwards compatibility worked fine there. PS2 read CDs and DVDs. Nothing stopping them from making a system that plays **GASP** CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays.

Jesus I hate new console launches. Had to deal with this fanboy shit during the SNES and Genesis days.... People need to grow up.

henau212

Neo Member
Have you seen the PS5 dev kit?
I hope you don't mean that the positive way. Judging by the size of the drive slot the PS5 dev kit is two times the the xbox SeX in a row. And all the ventilation slots don't scream silence. I just hope that Sony brings out a silent console from the beginning for once..

Blade2.0

They revealed it on the VGAs. They didn't kick off their marketing for it because it's a YEAR AWAY.
Look man. All I'm saying is I woke up, read that title "Xbox series x is the worst name ever!" Thread name and thought to myself "I like the Xbone X name. Then got on my shoes and left the house. Didn't even register this was a new thing

Last edited:

ManaByte

Look man. All I'm saying is I woke up, read that title "Xbox series x is the worst name ever!" Thread name and thought to myself "I like the Xbone X name. Then got on my shoes and left the house. Didn't even register this was a new thing

Why would you think they would do another mid-gen refresh right before the new console comes out?

Blade2.0

Why would you think they would do another mid-gen refresh right before the new console comes out?
I'm saying I didn't think it was different than the one x which is like what happened to the WiiU. I thought the dude was talking about the one X

Last edited:

ManaByte

I'm saying I didn't think it was different than the one x which is like what happened to the WiiU. I thought the dude was talking about the one X

Yea people aren't going to think a $500 system is different than what they already have. Just like people didn't think the iPhone X was different than their iPhone 8.

ManaByte

Or going from X to XS

Everyone said the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X would confuse people and it would be Microsoft's end for doing that. Didn't happen. People are smart now and using the cellphone example they know the difference between things. People are acting like we're still living in the 90s and you need to call your console "Super Xbox" or something.

NickFire

Everyone said the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X would confuse people and it would be Microsoft's end for doing that. Didn't happen. People are smart now and using the cellphone example they know the difference between things. People are acting like we're still living in the 90s and you need to call your console "Super Xbox" or something.
Cell phone example is a good one. Very good actually. But honestly I think the primary concern is targeting the lowest common denominator when creating games. I'm not very informed on development, but people have been debating pretty intensely about whether its a scaling issue or a holding games back issue.

Codes 208

As a retail associate my line of thought to explain to customers will be “the xbox one x is the older system. The xbox series x, or xbox sx is the new one.”

hell, peoplehere legitmately though the switch lite would confuse average people but it was as easy as saying “the regular switch can connect to your tv, the cheaper switch lite is just a handheld version of the switch.”

ManaByte

Cell phone example is a good one. Very good actually. But honestly I think the primary concern is targeting the lowest common denominator when creating games. I'm not very informed on development, but people have been debating pretty intensely about whether its a scaling issue or a holding games back issue.

You're right. I fucking HATE PC games and how they have to be developed for 486 PCs. Damn those old chips holding back my shit.

As a retail associate my line of thought to explain to customers will be “the xbox one x is the older system. The xbox series x, or xbox sx is the new one.”

hell, peoplehere legitmately though the switch lite would confuse average people but it was as easy as saying “the regular switch can connect to your tv, the cheaper switch lite is just a handheld version of the switch.”

I almost feel like it would be easier to just refer to them as the One X and Series X?

Pejo

How cool would it be if console manufacturers got together to make a Voltron-eque console for next gen. 2 XBSEX as legs, 2 PS5's as arms, body of a PC, head of a Switch and intestines of a Stadia.

Top Bottom