• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 has the highest attach rate of games after 14 months, why is that?

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Great demos, being the first next gen to market.
This is the answer that doesn't get enough play, combine hardcore gamers looking for beyond 2001 tech with people desperately wanting more hi-def content and you get big software sales.

That attach rate is going to go up another number when Feb 20 rolls around. All 360 owners had a meeting and it was decided that everyone is going to buy Crackdown. We have these meetings once a month with the sole purpose of taking down Nintendo and Sony. I have a robe.

NinSoX

Banned
jmdajr said:
because xbox gamers have the $$$$$$

Xbox gamers are older, lonely, overweight and don't have relationships so they spend more of their disposable income on videogames. Meanwhile the more athletic and handsome PS3 owners have their hands full fingering multiple girlfriends in orgies:D

doicare

Skilotonn said:
It doesn't explain why you care so much about this though...

Care about this 'so much'? Yeah after watching the sales of games over a year i finally post in one thread and made my observation. I get jumped on and leave it for a week and i do some research and create a thread containing more data.

hyp

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
That attach rate is going to go up another number when Feb 20 rolls around. All 360 owners had a meeting and it was decided that everyone is going to buy Crackdown. We have these meetings once a month with the sole purpose of taking down Nintendo and Sony. I have a robe.

put the crack down.

speculawyer said:
-Buyers of a $400 console can afford games (and want games)
This was going to be my best guess. Interesting how when Wii's early attach ratio is better than PS3's one of the theories was that after buying a $500 or $600 machine they didn't have as much left to spend on software, which is the total opposite of this X360 theory.

GitarooMan said:
This is the answer that doesn't get enough play, combine hardcore gamers looking for beyond 2001 tech with people desperately wanting more hi-def content and you get big software sales.
It doesn't get into why this leads to a higher attach rate for X360 now than PS2 or Dreamcast five years ago, though. Of course, since no actual numbers have been given for what PS2/GCN/Xbox were like after 14 months, I don't even know how big of a difference we're talking.

doicare said:
Care about this 'so much'? Yeah after watching the sales of games over a year i finally post in one thread and make my observation. I get jumped on and leave it for a week and i do some research and create a thread containing more data.

At least someone as capable as yourself is leading the crusade.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
doicare said:
Care about this 'so much'? Yeah after watching the sales of games over a year i finally post in one thread and make my observation. I get jumped on and leave it for a week and i do some research and create a thread containing more data.

Sounds like you didnt learn anything then.

Zynx

The attach rate is higher because the average Xbox 360 owner has more discretionary income that he (or she? hah!) that is put towards video games. The initial $400 price tag already demands a higher commitment level than a cheaper console, so the less dedicated game player who would have bought a $150 console and a few games isn't part of the installed base, so this person's low tie ratio wouldn't drag the overall ratio down.

doicare

:lol :lol

Rhindle

Lies!

We never have meetings. Our minds have fused into a collective consciousness whose sole purpose is to buy shitty games to bring greater tie-ratio glory to our lords and masters.

LJ11

NinSoX said:
Xbox gamers are older, lonely, overweight and don't have relationships so they spend more of their disposable income on videogames. Meanwhile the more athletic and handsome PS3 owners have their hands full fingering multiple girlfriends in orgies:D

I don't know about PS3 owners being more athletic. They're not the ones with Wii Sports and the upcoming system seller Wii Fitness. Wii owners will be in tip-top shape when compared to the rest of us. The wagglemote also lends itself to orgies much better than misshaped six-axis.

Bildi

That sounds reasonable. I have slowed down my buying habits signifiantly this gen and I have I think 6 or 7 games for the 360. There have been some great games thus far.

Barnolde

Banned
Skilotonn said:
The 360 just has tons of good games - plain and simple

It does. That's why. The problem is that it has so few GREAT games, so people settle for lower quality games, but they just buy more of them.

Joe

peter%20moore.jpg
allard%5B1%5D.jpg
bio_bach.jpg
ShaneKim.jpg

img42dm6.gif

hyp

Not 'til you come to the next meeting. It'll be behind Arby's.

sweet, i heard the next game on the agenda is NBA street homecourt. let's raise our collective fists in the air for EA. *hoorah!*

JoshuaJSlone said:
This was going to be my best guess. Interesting how when Wii's early attach ratio is better than PS3's one of the theories was that after buying a $500 or $600 machine they didn't have as much left to spend on software, which is the total opposite of this X360 theory.

Wii owners have some decent choices. Outside of Resistance, there is not much but crappy xbox 360 ports for the PS3.

LJ11 said:
I don't know about PS3 owners being more athletic. They're not the ones with Wii Sports and the upcoming system seller Wii Fitness. Wii owners will be in tip-top shape when compared to the rest of us. The wagglemote also lends itself to orgies much better than misshaped six-axis.

Not to mention no rumble...

fanduck

I think it's because of Xbox Live. It's a giant community that the whole system is based around (there's not much sense in having a 360 and not having live). And being in the community, everybody purchases games together and gets collectively excited about the next big release (even if the last big release was Lost Planet...)

gkryhewy

methane47 said:
Marketting... and Brand Loyalty....

Xbox lovers have a huge chip on their shoulders from last generation's Loss....:lol

They're out to prove something

This is the dumbest thing I've read in recent memory.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It doesn't get into why this leads to a higher attach rate for X360 now than PS2 or Dreamcast five years ago, though. Of course, since no actual numbers have been given for what PS2/GCN/Xbox were like after 14 months, I don't even know how big of a difference we're talking.
Yes, it does, I think the HD content issue could be driving it beyond the usual hardcore console upgraders. People want more HD content for their expensive TVs and those people can afford to buy lots of games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Liar. People in the meeting decided we're getting NBA Street.

SA-X

-Being $400 ensures that only people with money to burn will own the system.
-Downloadable demos are a great way to sell games.
-360 owners slobber all over anything exclusive.

Barnolde said:
It does. That's why. The problem is that it has so few GREAT games, so people settle for lower quality games, but they just buy more of them.

Yea guys we should only buy what the media considers to be great, good games aren't good enough anymore...

And dude stole my avatar!

All the decisions made on the 360 design were made to sell more software. A seemless online system with an integrated friends list fosters a community aspect hasn't been present in any system to date. I actually coordinate purchases with my friends so we can play online together. Achievements are there to encourage 360 owners to buy more games, and buy the 360 version of multiplatform games. If there are two identical games on different systems but one has achievements and one doesn't, guess which version most 360 owners will get? To date though, most multiplatform games have looked better and played better on 360. A year after PS2 launched, original Xbox games already looked better than PS2 games. That hasn't happened this generation. Also, it may not show up on gamerankings, but there are a ton of quality games available on 360. They may not all be AAA, but people buy more than just AAA games. Basically, the things implemented into the 360 designed to sell more software are actually working. The 360 am doomed total.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Dang - now the cat's outta the bag!

doicare said:
Care about this 'so much'? Yeah after watching the sales of games over a year i finally post in one thread and made my observation. I get jumped on and leave it for a week and i do some research and create a thread containing more data.

You based your research on Gamerankings...

...Gamerankings.

I bet there are scores there that you don't even agree with...

Dave Long

Banned
Achievements/Friends List = Peer Pressure

That really is a major part of it. The owners of 360 right now are at least half made up of the hardcore that buy a lot of games to begin with. Throw in that they can see all the stuff their friends have and the Keep Up With The Joneses game buying race is on.

Peer Pressure is a powerful tool for selling games and Microsoft turned it into an on-screen carrot for you to see every time you bring up your friends list and see someone playing something you don't own.

antiloop

Being first to market. Other than that maybe their fanbase just has more money to spend on games?

Or MS are good at marketing?

Gek54

SA-X said:
-Being $400 ensures that only people with money to burn will own the system.
-Downloadable demos are a great way to sell games.
-360 owners slobber all over anything exclusive.

Doesnt explain why the PS3 attach rate is lower.

antiloop said:
Being first to market. Other than that maybe their fanbase just has more money to spend on games?
Pretty much. If you can afford a HDTV and a $400 console you can afford a bunch of games.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Lazy vs Crazy said:
Pretty much. If you can afford a HDTV and a $400 console you can afford a bunch of games.

Well I have a Wii, a 360, and a gaming PC. Why would I get more games for the 360 because I have money to burn and not the others?

Wellington said:
Well I have a Wii, a 360, and a gaming PC. Why would I get more games for the 360 because I have money to burn and not the others?

Who said you had to get more games for 360? You just have to buy 5 games in the 360's lifetime to be represented in the attach rate. Nobody said you had to buy more or less games for your other systems.

[Nintex]

Marketing, at least in the Netherlands.
Since GRAW every 360 game had a TV ad for a few weeks on different channels.
Commercials are actually becoming interesting nowadays since Nintendo is doing ads for all their new releases to.

SA-X

Gek54 said:
Doesnt explain why the PS3 attach rate is lower.
lol, how about because the PS3 just came out. :p You need to give people some time to buy more games, most people only buy 2-3 games when they first get a new system.

Compare the PS3's attach rate at 14 months to the 360's current 5.3 and then you'll have an at least somewhat fair comparison to draw conclusions from. (or you could just compare whatever 360's attach rate was at 2 1/2 months to the PS3's current number)

BirdFlu

Banned
speculawyer said:
Here are the reasons I can come up with:
-Hardcore early adopters are big game buyers
-Buyers of a $400 console can afford games (and want games)
-HDTV presents a read advance over old SDTV consoles
-downloadable game demos give purchasers a good feeling of security when plopping down $60 for a game
-Some really good titles available (GoW, R6: Vegas, ES: Oblivion, NBA 2K7, etc.)
-Viral effect of xbox Live (friends convince friends to get the same games in order to play with each other online.)
-Not much non game usage for an xbox 360 (Many PS3 buyers may have picked up a PS3 just as a good cheap Blu-Ray player)

Best response in this thread.

LuCkymoON

Banned
I will be the first to admit that I don't buy used 360 games just to keep the attatch rate high. >_>

Top Bottom