• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 NXE Dashboard Leaked to the Net!!! But theres a problem

TheKurgan

It sucks that a 20GB HD won't be able to handle 2 full installs unless you have zero arcade games downloaded. How much does EB give on a 20GB 360 trade in? An upgrade to 60GB and HDMI might be in my future.

M3wThr33

Banned
Messed around with it. The Mii Creator is a total ripoff with more items but less customizing of their placement.

And damn, somehow they made the XMB more confusing than before.

LOOKS nicer, but 2/3 of the categories aren't needed. AT ALL.

TheKurgan said:
It sucks that a 20GB HD won't be able to handle 2 full installs unless you have zero arcade games downloaded. How much does EB give on a 20GB 360 trade in? An upgrade to 60GB and HDMI might be in my future.

True, I only can install just one game unless I delete some of my arcade games

Chrange

Banned
Kibbles said:
Aww, WTF? How is that possible? Worse times? :S I have to install because my disc is fucked and never works, so I'm using a friends disc to install and hopefully my disc works enough for the verification.

On games that cache to the HDD, it's probably still trying to cache to it - FROM the HDD, so it'd take a performance hit. I'm not sure if that'd continue with further playthroughs, or if games could be patched to not cache.

Kibbles said:
Aww, WTF? How is that possible? Worse times? :S I have to install because my disc is fucked and never works, so I'm using a friends disc to install and hopefully my disc works enough for the verification.

no one gives a shit about load times once they install a game to hdd, the 360 is quieter than a ps3, with the leaked NXE and Fallout 3 mishap on the PS3 were the final nail in the coffin for me, I bought an xbox360 in an instant and from now on all my multiplatform purchases will be on xbox360 even if the Ps3 is the lead platform. I just gave up on PS3. Thats right... as soon as I heard that the NXE was leaked I ran out and bought a 20 gig Pro for 199.99 CDN....

fernoca

M3wThr33 said:
Messed around with it. The Mii Creator is a total ripoff with more items but less customizing of their placement.

And damn, somehow they made the XMB more confusing than before.

LOOKS nicer, but 2/3 of the categories aren't needed. AT ALL.
With the leaked NXE?
There's no "Mii Creator" in the leak, unless I missed an update...

tokkun

Kibbles said:

The latencies, transfer rates, block sizes, buffer sizes, and physical layout factors affecting 2-dimensional data locality are going to be different between a DVD and hard drive. If you actually optimize your disc accesses for the physical parameters of a DVD, then it's not surprising that it performs worse on a hard drive.

Juice

tokkun said:
The latencies, transfer rates, block sizes, buffer sizes, and physical layout factors affecting 2-dimensional data locality are going to be different between a DVD and hard drive. If you actually optimize your disc accesses for the physical parameters of a DVD, then it's not surprising that it performs worse on a hard drive.

This is a good point, I hadn't thought of that. IIRC, EA has some pretty advanced toolkits that automate a lot of this sort of optimization, wouldn't be surprised if their in house games suck as a result of it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Unregistered007 said:
no one gives a shit about load times once they install a game to hdd, the 360 is quieter than a ps3

ehh, even on the dashboard my 360 is much louder (newer one with addtl heat sinks) than my ps3 when playing games.

Unregistered007 said:
no one gives a shit about load times once they install a game to hdd, the 360 is quieter than a ps3, with the leaked NXE and Fallout 3 mishap on the PS3 were the final nail in the coffin for me, I bought an xbox360 in an instant and from now on all my multiplatform purchases will be on xbox360 even if the Ps3 is the lead platform. I just gave up on PS3. Thats right... as soon as I heard that the NXE was leaked I ran out and bought a 20 gig Pro for 199.99 CDN....

Dude. smh x ∞

Susurrus

Unregistered007 said:
no one gives a shit about load times once they install a game to hdd, the 360 is quieter than a ps3

Really? I can't hear my PS3 at all, but I can still hear my 360 when playing arcade games.

chubigans said:
Such a sad, sad little post. :(

whats so sad about it ? I am tired of shitty/not equivalent 3rd party efforts and eliminating the need of DVD spinning has astronomically made the 360 silent, keep in mind I have the one with HDMI Falcon.

Chrange

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
whats so sad about it ?

Probably that someone who doesn't have a 360 was watching the thread for something they could be offended about. I have to admit, that's pretty sad.

Chrange said:
Probably that someone who doesn't have a 360 was watching the thread for something they could be offended about. I have to admit, that's pretty sad.

That post is the most clueless and pathetic response I have ever read.. at least you could have read my response and then written something..

Chrange

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
That post is the most clueless and pathetic response I have ever read.. at least you could have read my response and then written something..

PSST - Chubigans is the one that doesn't have a 360 but likes to try and monitor threads to stamp out any positivity that might somehow escape Microsoft's downtrodden serfs.

Chrange said:
PSST - Chubigans is the one that doesn't have a 360 but likes to try and monitor threads to stamp out any positivity that might somehow escape Microsoft's downtrodden serfs.

so praising something is sad ? SAD ? REALLY ... what has this world come to!

Quick question... lets say I have 2 harddrives... and I install this on one of them... If I switch em out will I revert back to my old one?

burgerdog

UltimaPooh said:
Quick question... lets say I have 2 harddrives... and I install this on one of them... If I switch em out will I revert back to my old one?

Your console back to a previous firmware? Nope. Once you're up to the latest firmware you're stuck there for good.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Chrange said:
Oh give me a freaking break. :lol

I've always said I was going to purchase a 360 this Christmas because of the new XNA marketplace, so I'm always on the lookout on 360 threads to see what's new. Microsoft is way ahead of everyone else in the industry when it comes to indie support, and I gotta be there when they make history. :D

What strikes me odd about Unregistered007 is that he would

-buy a 360 due to a leaked firmware update
-bought a 360 due to Fallout 3 being less optimized for the PS3
-will buy multiplatform games on the 360 no matter what...even if they're not optimized for the 360...which is what was the "final nail in the coffin" for the PS3 in the first place.

But it was kind of a cheap post to begin with, so my apologies 007. Enjoy your new system! :D

pswii60

chubigans said:
Oh give me a freaking break. :lol

I've always said I was going to purchase a 360 this Christmas because of the new XNA marketplace, so I'm always on the lookout on 360 threads to see what's new. Microsoft is way ahead of everyone else in the industry when it comes to indie support, and I gotta be there when they make history. :D

What strikes me odd about Unregistered007 is that he would

-buy a 360 due to a leaked firmware update
If the insane DVD noise was stopping him from jumping in before, this is a plausible reason.
-bought a 360 due to Fallout 3 being less optimized for the PS3
Now we're getting in to the territory of multiple reasons which all add together. Of course, if Fallout is your most anticipated game of the year and you're on the fence about a 360, this could swing you?
-will buy multiplatform games on the 360 no matter what...even if they're not optimized for the 360...which is what was the "final nail in the coffin" for the PS3 in the first place.
Existing 360 owners may do this for achievements, controller, gamerpoints etc. But I'll agree that for someone who doesn't currently own a 360 it seems strange that you would have already decided to do this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
pswii60 said:
Now we're getting in to the territory of multiple reasons which all add together. Of course, if Fallout is your most anticipated game of the year and you're on the fence about a 360, this could swing you?
Well that and the exclusive 360 DLC content, sure.

pswii60 said:
Existing 360 owners may do this for achievements, controller, gamerpoints etc. But I'll agree that for someone who doesn't currently own a 360 it seems strange that you would have already decided to do this.

Simple answer: The 360 version comes complete with Achievements where as you have to freakin wait for the PS3 version to be patched for trophies, unless the 360 is REALLY BAD then I will get the PS3 version.

neight

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
Oh wow really?
happy.gif

Susurrus

Unregistered007 said:
Simple answer: The 360 version comes complete with Achievements where as you have to freakin wait for the PS3 version to be patched for trophies, unless the 360 is REALLY BAD then I will get the PS3 version.

Yes, because those e-penis points are sooooooooo great.

/sarcasm

Pachimari

I already have a launch 360 with NXE installed and I'm thinking about buying a new one. What is the difference between the two units other than the dvd-drive, plastic drive and hdmi?

F#A#Oo

Banned
How would people rate NXE then in general? Definate improvement?

The avatars don't look nearly as creative as Mii's...and knowing MS they'll charge for accessories... :/

F#A#Oo said:

The avatars don't look nearly as creative as Mii's...and knowing MS they'll charge for accessories... :/

HDD Install made me keep my 360, so there's that...
The GUI itself is a massive improvement over the original blades and dare I say it's actually rather pretty. I like it alot.

angelfly

F#A#Oo said:

One of the improvements I noticed as soon as I started using it is the interface is very fast even when accessing it in game.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It's kinda depressing how riveting I find that Eurogamer comparison, like 4 extra seconds is the key to me doing something more constructive with my free time.

Did Bungie explain why/how they managed to come up with the only streaming system in popular games that works worse from hard drives than DVD drives?

F#A#Oo said:

the more i use it, the more i like it. it really is way better than before.

Susurrus said:
Yes, because those e-penis points are sooooooooo great.

/sarcasm

Honestly. Aside from bragging to your other nerdy friends...achievement points/trophies are pretty useless, just a reminder to everyone that you in fact spend a ton of time playing games. But we already knew that.

Now if the points actually could be redeemed for value in the respective online stores...that would be 1337.

anonymousAversa said:
Honestly. Aside from bragging to your other nerdy friends...achievement points/trophies are pretty useless, just a reminder to everyone that you in fact spend a ton of time playing games. But we already knew that.

Now if the points actually could be redeemed for value in the respective online stores...that would be 1337.

No. gamerpoints actually give a sense of progression. It is something that is often overlooked in these kinds of discussions.

anonymousAversa said:
Geez, he talks about achievements, and everyone translates it automatically to gamerpoints or e-peen. Every 360 game has Achievements which act as "Trophies" for progression and completion of certain tasks, the gamerpoints they add to the gamertag is just a bonus or neat (or shitty, whatever you prefer) gadget, you don't have to like it, but do people always have to bitch about Achievements or Gamerpoints? At least Microsoft is consistent when it comes to Xbox Live and what features of it developers must use.

this would be a even better addition though.

If I buy a game for the 360 I know what I will get, what every game before and after has, I think this is also a big point for some people when they have to decide between which version of a multiplatform game to get.

I installed it. Don't ban me, Microsoft, I just couldn't stand seeing my picture stretched on a 16:10 monitor any more.

How do I change my theme in this thing then?

Top Bottom