• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Review Thread

casiopao

Nah, like I said eating breakfast and then I'll go find my post where I tracked each week of its sales before it disappeared off the list.

Just think it's funny how people attack me when I'm looking forward to a game.

Have fun searching the post there.^_^ Don't forget to show us ur post on that 400k shipment number.^_^

Calling it a 7 point difference is also a bit disingenuous given the most recent version on the 3ds has a 86 metascore

Well, i wanted to be more fair and compare both title here on their most Vanilla condition but it seems Ninja just forget about the topic huh?

Chaos17

I've only seen the user in 2 threads and i've already had enough, seems to have some kind of bizarre agenda.

Maybe they're tsundere ? >.>
You know into a love-hate relationship with Nintendo ? (lol)

Anyway, I forgot to say that GameXplain did a really good job to cover kinda none stop this game.
Most of the infos I read that read from english version was from them.
They made a lot streams since Japan version, it was nice to follow them.

Nah, like I said eating breakfast and then I'll go find my post where I tracked each week of its sales before it disappeared off the list.

Just think it's funny how people attack me when I'm looking forward to a game.
The part where you are looking forward to the game isn't the part we're attacking, though.

Calvero

Banned
L0RokWQ.gif

lmao i love the gifs that video spawned

TI82

Banned
Have fun searching the post there.^_^ Don't forget to show us ur post on that 400k shipment number.^_^

Well, i wanted to be more fair and compare both title here on their most Vanilla condition but it seems Ninja just forget about the topic huh?

Just a simple misremember. Nobody has perfect memory after all. Posted the thread showing how it couldnt sell its initial shipment in 5 weeks though on the page before this one!

Regiruler

Jim seems to not like the Fel Reaver (i.e. huge patrollers that destroy low level players) type enemies even though I thought they gave the original Xenoblade a lot of character.

JobenNC

I know that your joking :)

This picture always makes me chuckle. It's so true. A ton of my favorite games
Wonderful 101
are 7's. And I totally get why they are, because they fuck up a lot of simple things. It's far more useful to actually read reviews and know what shortcomings you can forgive, and what well-executed features won't mean much to you anyhow.

Lingitiz

Good reviews, wasn't quite sure how this would do after some of the early impressions. Kind of split if I want to dive into this game on launch. It seems enormously deep, complex, and rewarding, but also a hell of a timesink and one where not every minute spent is always doing things worthwhile.

What's all this?!

I expected 11/10s for the game, but after looking at both Game Informer and Polygon scores (SEVENS!), I feel like my whole life has been a lie.

As I write this I'm - with so much sadness - cancelling my Xenoblade Chronicles X Limited Edition preorder. I cannot just go and play this game, like if this was The Witchers or Fall Out, this was supposed to be my GOTY, goddammit.. It was going to be my GOTY.

If I enjoyed this game, enjoyed the skels, the vistas, the scope, and took as my GOTY, with these scores, I'd just be big fat hypocrites. I'm not that kind of person, I don't wanna be.

I have to admit I fell to the GAF hype, but that's my fault, as I knew that I shouldn't have trusted Monolith after being bit by The Matrix Online, back in the day.

I need to stop being this naive. Ow, Xenoblade why.

Wait Monolith Matrix Online? This has to be one of those where you have a template and you just tailor it to whatever situation you want to unleash it upon right? If not and this is an original than it deserves to be a template.

GameXplain's review states that the characters appear tropey if you don't do any of the Affinity Missions/Side Quests so that would explain why many of the reviews trash the characters -- they likely didn't do any or very little of the Affinity Missions.

I wouldn't be surprised if some reviewers didn't invest as much time as they probably should have

Ryoku

How buggy is the game? Considering how big and huge the scope is, I want to know if it's polished, and how much so. Reading the reviews, I'm guessing it's very polished.

Regiruler

I'd love to play Xenoblade 3D, but I don't know it's going to be worth trading in my current XL for that, a New 3DS, and a MicroSD.

From what I know, knowledge of the original (or lack thereof) doesn't impact enjoyment of X in any way, good or bad. Most reviewers haven't even come close to 100% though, so it's possible there's a very late game reference or something.
GameXplain's review states that the characters appear tropey if you don't do any of the Affinity Missions/Side Quests so that would explain why many of the reviews trash the characters -- they likely didn't do any or very little of the Affinity Missions.

This seems more like the "polishing a turd" metaphor.

On a critical level, I don't take Gamexplain very seriously. They're useful for some of their analyses and comparisons, but I always found their review to overly praising. I liked that Ash did the Q&A videos with Chuggaconroy, because he seems to be on firmer soil, so to speak.

Just a simple misremember. Nobody has perfect memory after all. Posted the thread showing how it couldnt sell its initial shipment in 5 weeks though on the page before this one!

You are moving goal posts a lot, which is annoying people here. It is pretty typical for games not to sell out of initial shipments in Japan right away. Front heavy genres such as JRPG's very often just have one shipment. You can observe this phenomena in virtually any weekly Media Create thread on here.

I'll reiterate, the game sold an acceptable amount. It wasn't record breaking, but it didn't crater either.

Edit: You originally stated 400k over 8 weeks, then moved it to 120k over 5 weeks.

How buggy is the game? Considering how big and huge the scope is, I want to know if it's polished, and how much so. Reading the reviews, I'm guessing it's very polished.

the Gamexplain review mentioned he didnt run into any glitches or bugs in his playthrough

TheMoon

Nintendo.

Gamereactor quote:
"The remarkable technical work carried out here should be noted. The game is rock solid and a technological masterpiece, using a thousand tricks to offer impossible alien landscapes and an astonishing draw distance, while maintaining a solid frame-rate of 30 fps which we never once noticed dropping. And what's more, not a single
bug
across many, many hours of gameplay! "

Jolkien

Some review (Sorry forgot which one I read too many) stated that they have not encounter a single bug.

casiopao

Intital shipment being 120k, it wasn't able to sell that much in 5 weeks based off my findings.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184243094&postcount=279

Debut at 85k
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1043077

Sold 72% of it's shipment
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/1...-x-sold-through-72-of-its-shipment-at-launch/

Second week, down to 11k, still hasn't sold it's initial shipment.
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japan-media-create-sales-for-week-19-2015-may-4-10/

Third week, down to 4k still hasn't sold it's initial shipment
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japan-media-create-sales-for-week-20-2015-may-11-17/

Fourth week, down to 2k still hasn't sold its initial shipment and off the top 20
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japan-media-create-sales-for-week-21-2015-may-18-24/

Fifth week, sales aren't even reported
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japan-media-create-sales-for-week-22-2015-may-25-31/

Yep, people say I'm not a Nintendo fan but I think my games and amiibo collection speak for itself haha

I dunno you but sure, maybe you can join the amiibogaf line chat I post there very regularly. I will ask the bosses of the chat if you want

That's not 400k like at all though.

And Xenoblade is never that big even in Japan not to mention Wii U number is going to hold the sales back by quite a bit. So while i agree the number is probably just okay or a bit disappointing. Making up number is just never a good thing.

Then try not to put ur statement like it is fact before typing as it just makes u looks bad here. Double check first?

Yeah but he would not qualify as ninjablade buddy.

he's the thing what you believe are lies are actually facts, . i think if i was just posting lies i would be banned by now, but the mods already know i'm not making lies up, thats not the ninja way. anyway back on topic, game got very good reviews, not goty quality reviews but very good reviews

TI82

Banned
You are moving goal posts a lot, which is annoying people here. It is pretty typical for games not to sell out of initial shipments in Japan right away. Front heavy genres such as JRPG's very often just have one shipment. You can observe this phenomena in virtually any weekly Media Create thread on here.

I'll reiterate, the game sold an acceptable amount. It wasn't record breaking, but it didn't crater either.

It seems like a low seller to me, and my mother living in Japan went to a gamestore and showed me a picture of the game discounted pretty far which tells me it wasn't selling well enough for retailers but maybe I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if some reviewers didn't invest as much time as they probably should have

If you didn't grind up affinity for characters in the original Xenoblade and do a lot of side quests a lot of the characters are underdeveloped. Like Sharla or Reyn. Even characters like Dunban who fair better still become widely more interesting with heart to hearts building their personality.

And grinding up affinity is bullshit boring.

TI82

Banned
That's not 400k like at all though.

And Xenoblade is never that big even in Japan not to mention Wii U number is going to hold the sales back by quite a bit. So while i agree the number is probably just okay or a bit disappointing. Making up number is just never a good thing.

Then try not to put ur statement like it is fact before typing as it just makes u looks bad here. Double check first?

Just a misremember nothing malicious lol

lt519

Will play after Divinity: Original Sin and cleansing my palette with Mario Paper Jam. I can't jump from Fallout 4 to Divinity and then to another 100 hour game. Might end up with a broken engagement.

Kade

Sadly, this has become quite true.

Yeah, readers really misinterpret the scores and exaggerate how good or bad things are. It doesn't make sense when review sites have qualitative adjectives like "Good", "Great" or "Average" assigned to the numbers. If you replace the number with its assigned adjective, it's funny because you've got people upset that Polygon called Xenoblade Chronicles X a good game.

Squishy3

It seems like a low seller to me, and my mother living in Japan went to a gamestore and showed me a picture of the game discounted pretty far which tells me it wasn't selling well enough for retailers but maybe I'm wrong.
To be fair that happens for a large majority of the games in the market over there. Unless you're one of the big sellers (Monster Hunter, Youkai Watch, Dragon Quest, etc.) you're going down in sales by a large percent and will start getting discounted heavily.

Diffense

I was prepared for worse reviews TBH. It's not so much that I doubted the game but I doubted that reviewers would match my tastes. Just like the original Xenoblade I saw enough to know I wanted the game. Great scores are always welcome though so I'm happy for the game.

Some reviews mentioned some negative aspects but I don't think they apply to me. I'm pretty sure my brain is up to the task of figuring out how a videogame should be played. It won't be nuclear physics. I can also appreciate a more passive story that doesn't
wreck the world
thereby closing certain sidequests if you don't do them first. Can't wait to crash land on Mira!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

From 400k to 120k it's not a misremember. It's a totally different size order. If that's a misremember don't ever base something important on your memory. Also don't go to first google search to try to cover your ass. The game is not mediocre by any quantifiable measures. You were caught with your pants down. Badly. Instead of admitting that you keep on throwing out more lies. Just stop. Come back later when people will forget about this. Like any decent troll does.

Edit: there is a big difference between selling poorly and having 87% sell-through after two weeks.

Regiruler

Gamereactor quote: "The remarkable technical work carried out here should be noted. The game is rock solid and a technological masterpiece, using a thousand tricks to offer impossible alien landscapes and an astonishing draw distance, while maintaining a solid frame-rate of 30 fps which we never once noticed dropping. And what's more, not a single bug across many, many hours of gameplay! "

Sounds better than the original then. God knows slowmo may as well have been a feature once you have 5 or more enemies at once.

Exile20

Ye, Nintendo games have the least bugs out of all devs/pubs out there.

Chaos17

Some minor pop in can happen but not as bad as they were in assassin creed.
No any game breaking bugs or drop of frame rate like Fallout 4 had recently.
The game can lack collision but the goal was not the get let the player be stuck (I guess).

Those are kinda minors flaws that most reviewers didn't really cared about or even talked about.
But yeah, in overall, it's pretty polished.

WVW69imstDY35zrC5S

AlucardGV

Banned
This picture always makes me chuckle. It's so true. A ton of my favorite games
Wonderful 101
are 7's. And I totally get why they are, because they fuck up a lot of simple things. It's far more useful to actually read reviews and know what shortcomings you can forgive, and what well-executed features won't mean much to you anyhow.

not feeling right with 3/10 mediocre and 4/10 being average. it's definitely on the bad territory.

Yeah, readers really misinterpret the scores and exaggerate how good or bad things are. It doesn't make sense when review sites have qualitative adjectives like "Good", "Great" or "Average" assigned to the numbers. If you replace the number with its assigned adjective, it's funny because you've got people upset that Polygon called Xenoblade Chronicles X a good game.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure when it changed to this kind of thinking, and why?

I mean, I grew up with Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, and N64. When games were reviewed around the 7/8/9 range I'm thinking, yeah! Looks like a solid game!

Exile20

Gamereactor quote: "The remarkable technical work carried out here should be noted. The game is rock solid and a technological masterpiece, using a thousand tricks to offer impossible alien landscapes and an astonishing draw distance, while maintaining a solid frame-rate of 30 fps which we never once noticed dropping. And what's more, not a single bug across many, many hours of gameplay! "

I like the sound of that.

Yeah but the one on the OP is the import review.

This is amazing for such an open world game that "Has Map Larger Than 'Fallout 4,' 'The Witcher 3,' And 'Skyrim' Combined"

Sounds better than the original then. God knows slowmo may as well have been a feature once you have 5 or more enemies at once.

The cinematic feeling was real.

The original game ran pretty well imo. I had noticeable framerate drops when I fought many big enemies. But 5-8 small or medium size enemies didnt really hurt the frame rate as far as I remember.

TI82

Banned
To be fair that happens for a large majority of the games in the market over there. Unless you're one of the big sellers (Monster Hunter, Youkai Watch, Dragon Quest, etc.) you're going down in sales by a large percent and will start getting discounted heavily.
Yeah maybe so, she was there during some event for dragon quest builders and said it was crazy.

From 400k to 120k it's not a misremember. It's a totally different size order. If that's a misremember don't ever base something important on your memory. Also don't go to first google search to try to cover your ass. The game is not mediocre by any quantifiable measures. You were caught with your pants down. Badly. Instead of admitting that you keep on throwing out more lies. Just stop. Come back later when people will forget about this. Like any decent troll does.

Edit: there is a big difference between selling poorly and having 87% sell-through after two weeks.

It was literally just a misremember, not sure why you and other members of a certain subgroup think I'm some evil villain out to get nintendo lol

_DiGiTaL_

This threat started off great with the good and bad about the game. But now there just seems to be 2-3 people constantly humble trashing the game... /sigh

Games get discounted much faster in Japan due to a very active used market. Used games start showing up at cheaper prices within a week of release, which drives retailers to sell at lower prices.

Top Bottom