• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

djtiesto said:
Kinda disappointed to hear about the time-sensitive quests, as someone who is OCD about quest completion in games... thought developers on the whole were moving away from missable stuff in games? Ahhh well, will be interesting to hear your impressions when you are finished with the game, Bebpo.

There's extra stuff on the second playthrough (according to GameFAQs), btw :p

Bebpo

Banned
djtiesto said:
Kinda disappointed to hear about the time-sensitive quests, as someone who is OCD about quest completion in games... thought developers on the whole were moving away from missable stuff in games? Ahhh well, will be interesting to hear your impressions when you are finished with the game, Bebpo.

Yeah, I'm OCD like that too. Which is why I haven't really advanced storywise in the last few hours and am just finishing up quests that have a timer mark on them.

I'm guessing they are time restricted because the NPC who gives them to you will die or something. Otherwise there's no reason to make them time restricted.

I can't wait for a good jwiki to go up to help for clearing time restricted quests that you're stuck on when you want to move on in the game. Sometimes the quests are a bit vague "get 3 pony meat drops from various pony in the field" ummm, I never saw any ponys! >_< Also some are restricted to "this animal only comes out in the rain" and though you can change the time of day, you can't change the whether so you have to wait for a freak occurrence of rain, then warp nearby and hopefully it'll still be raining when you get where the animal spawns.

I think I'm almost done with the time quests in this area (still on the leg area, field from the cover). Haven't played today, but will load it up in a bit and hopefully clear them and move on.

kiryogi

Banned
So I think for the first time in my life I'm saying f you to that ocd gamer in me. This game has way too many quests. If I get them on my way, fine. If not, I'm moving on. Holy crap at the amount you can get so early on. Besides, I'll probably end up burnt out if I kept trying to get all of them. That said, Xenoblade is indeed many levels of awesome :D

early spoilers

NOOOO FIORUNE ;-;

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, the game has too many quests. 2 hours later and I'm still in the same spot I was 4 hours ago doing quest for the same people. Everytime I finish a quest, they give me a new one. I want to move on but they're time restricted :(

If you do all the quests at each area you won't remember what happened in the story last by the time you're done, lol. This game is sooo MMO

Anyone whose done the quests at the leg camp, can you help me find these monsters so I can finish the quests:
1. White Edward (only appears in snow or rain by the raguel lake). I've searched the whole lake several times over in the rain and never found him, where is he?!? :|
2. GROGG (appears in leg area) - I've never seen this enemy and I need 2 drops from him
3. Vamp (appears in leg area) - I've never seen this enemy and I need 3 drops from him

Thanks

Bebpo

Banned
oh crap, I think if you kill a unique monster on the field and then someone gives you a quest to kill it...you can't finish the quest because the monster will never respawn. I think that's why I can't find 2 of my quests (I remember killing one of them for sure, may have killed the other without noticing it was unique). Gonna see if there's way out of this. Otherwise between this and the time restricted quests, I think the questing is a bit unfriendly to completionists.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
oh crap, I think if you kill a unique monster on the field and then someone gives you a quest to kill it...you can't finish the quest because the monster will never respawn. I think that's why I can't find 2 of my quests (I remember killing one of them for sure, may have killed the other without noticing it was unique). Gonna see if there's way out of this. Otherwise between this and the time restricted quests, I think the questing is a bit unfriendly to completionists.

No respawn at all would freaking suck. I could see like it only respawns after you advance the story but combine them with a time quest structure and that, well sounds terrible.

Bebpo

Banned
What do MMOs do for unique boss type mobs that drop special treasure? Just a really long respawn time?

I don't play MMOs so I'm not sure what the rules are on these things. Unlike FFXII which felt like an MMO x JRPG hybrid, imo Xenoblade is the first real offline MMO. Damn you Takahashi for making me finally play an MMO :lol

Bebpo said:
What do MMOs do for unique boss type mobs that drop special treasure? Just a really long respawn time?

I don't play MMOs so I'm not sure what the rules are on these things. Unlike FFXII which felt like an MMO x JRPG hybrid, imo Xenoblade is the first real offline MMO. Damn you Takahashi for making me finally play an MMO :lol

Yeah, usually.
Like, in WoW, the bosses have a week long respawn time.
I doubt it's that long in XB, though.

Bebpo

Banned
I'll try heading back to a completely different area like the start of the game and then going back. Otherwise I dunno. Since it's time sensitive, if I advance the story it'll probably disappear.

I mean I see why they would not want to respawn these guys since they are like optional bosses that drop unique and great equipment. But uhhhhh, if they didn't think this issue out I don't know what to say.

Also this game needs a beastiary bad. Most rpgs have them! But for some reason an rpg like this where you can get hundreds of quests to find specific enemies and get their drops does not have a beastiary where you can just find the enemy, see where they live, and see their drops and drop rates.

All in all, I think you basically need a strategy guide for a 100% run. Probably will just accept that I won't get 100% and move on. Save 100% for a future run after really good faqs/guides are out.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:

It depeds, even monster in the same game will be set up differently. But usually a pretty decent length of time, wether it be a few minutes/hours/days. Hell some monsters aren't even on a set rate. If WoWwiki is to be believed the Time-Lost Drake is randomized but also can have a different monster spawn in it's olace instead, worst of all the thing can despawn after a certain amount of time.

Alex

It's probably not really meant to be played like that from the sound of it though. Do the quests you want for loot, exploration, advancement and interest, then move on. I used to have completionist tendencies when I mostly played JRPGs as well, because they're mostly strung together setpieces, and you're not so much playing a guide as being guided through one.

I hated them in Dragon Age, and I will probably hate them here.

Quests and general ideology behind implementing them and events that flesh out the world and make significance of everything in it are the best, IMO. At least until designers of some of these single player RPGs, especially a lot of Japanese ones, can really lay off the handholding and set piece whoring. I want to go through a big, interesting world and do a variety of things at my own pace, and be rewarded for it through means other than cutscenes.

Questing isn't really an MMO concept though, it's just a general WRPG (and even a few JRPGs lately) concept, it's in lots and lots of offline or non-massive titles, along with talent trees, loot, position based combat, respawning rares, etc.

People give too much credit to Everquest by just dropping the vague archetype of the modern MMO. I realize it's easy just to say that, but it almost feels like slander, and for silly reasons. That and Everquest should get no credit for anything ever, except sucking ass.

Cep

Banned
Alex said:
It's probably not really meant to be played like that from the sound of it though. Do the quests you want for loot, exploration, advancement and interest, then move on. I used to have completionist tendencies when I mostly played JRPGs as well, because they're mostly strung together setpieces, and you're not so much playing a guide as being guided through one.

Quests and general ideology behind implementing them and events that flesh out the world and make significance of everything in it are the best, IMO. At least until designers of some of these single player RPGs, especially a lot of Japanese ones, can really lay off the handholding and set piece whoring. I want to go through a big, interesting world and do a variety of things at my own pace, and be rewarded for it through means other than cutscenes.

Questing isn't really an MMO concept though, it's just a general WRPG (and even a few JRPGs lately) concept, it's in lots and lots of offline or non-massive titles, along with talent trees, loot, position based combat, respawning rares, etc.

People give too much credit to Everquest by just dropping the vague archetype of the modern MMO. I realize it's easy just to say that, but it almost feels like slander, and for silly reasons. That and Everquest should get no credit for anything ever, except sucking ass.

Well, the reason I say MMO quest is because more often than not, they bombard you with a great deal of useless quests not intent on padding the world, but on padding the play time.

Anytime you have more than one or two quests that have you go fourth and gather a certain # of items, you have failed in my book.

Good Non-MMO WRPGs usually show a lot more restraint in general; their quests are usually relevant and go a long way to fill out the world whilst at the same time giving you something to do.

freddy

Banned
Well if I'm going to be bored running through a field I'll be wanting a huge sword and lots of monsters to hit on the way. I'm all over this if it gets translated.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, Xenoblade is the type of "welcome to this area, here's 30-50 quests that individually give you very little xp/money and the items are usually junk or average". It's only when you do a ton (or most) of them that the xp is worth it and you save up some good money and run across a few pieces of great loot in the rewards.

Otoh, like Alex said, if you were going to explore and find these locations, kill these enemies on your own anyways, because adventuring is fun. Then the extra little reward of QUEST COMPLETE when you do it and some bonus xp/money/items is a nice pat on the back that makes it more fun.

I think yeah, if you don't stress on making yourself do most of the mobs (like the lame ones) and just grab as many as you can before you head off and get extra rewards as you explore and play you'll get the most satisfaction. UNFORTUNATELY I think the game kind of screws you here, because the way the quests tend to work is 6-7 people will give quests, and you have to finish them to get the next quests from each person, repeat, repeat, repeat. So while exploring and doing the first set of quests, you're likely to do the requirements for the later sets that you won't have gotten and it doesn't count. One nice slightly compensation is that if you get a drop that is used for a quest that you haven't gotten, you see a vision of it being used in a future quest and it has a blue "!" next to it, so you know not to sell/trade it.

To me the fun questing in XB is:
-Oh hey, I'm exploring and I just found some cool glowing red quest item that I can give to someone later and finish a quest
-Woah, look at that giant unique monster. I think I can take him on. Good thing I got a quest to kill him (or oh wait, I haven't gotten a quest to kill him yet, maybe I shouldn't try)

To me the not-fun questing in XB is:
-Zzzz I'm grinding a generic boring enemy over and over for 30 mins because I need 5 rare drops from him so I can get like almost no xp/money/and a junk item. This seems counter-productive.
-I need to get drops from some enemy that I can't find no matter how many times I've covered this area, wtffff I am wasting my time. Where is my Beastiary :p

Also most quests go like this:
-guy says "please go kill 10 of these animals because they are scary"
-you kill the 10th animal and a screen pops up "congratulation, quest complete, here is your reward"
-if you go back to the guy he's probably just become an NPC at this point and won't thank you :mad:

Some quests require you to go back to the original person and then there's a bit more plot.

Also Also, this game is meant to be played like a Tales game where you switch characters every hour or two to keep the combat a bit more fresh. Like a good Tales, all the characters are good and fun to play as and have vastly different approaches to how they support the others in battle. Plus playing as other people builds up relation points with the other characters and you want everyone happy with each other so you can view all the kizuna talk optional scenes you run across.

Overall I'm enjoying it. But for me it's definitely not edge of your seat I can't put the game down I want to finish the dungeon/I want to see what happens next experience like Takahashi's other games (I think I played through XS ep1 in about 2 marathon sittings total), which I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that it isn't. It's sounds like it's Takahashi's offline WoW/FFXI, and I don't play WoW/FFXI because they aren't my kind of rpg gaming. I also miss Mitsuda ;_;

But overall it's definitely a good game so far (~15 hours in). Hoping it becomes a great one as I get further.

Sounds like my kind of game. I like the idea of "offline MMORPG" becoming a genre, because I love big, open, explorable worlds but can't stand the balance of MMORPGs, where it takes SO MUCH grinding to feel like you're becoming more powerful. I absolutely adored FFXII and hoped it would become influential to JRPG developers. Everything I hear about Xenoblade that makes me feel like it's the followup to FFXII that FFXIII wasn't makes me more hyped for it.

Einbroch

Banned
Holy crap. The battle theme past the one minute mark has me all nostalgic. Reminds me a ton of Lufia II. They better effin' localize this game.

I will buy a Wii for this game.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
Yeah, Xenoblade is the type of "welcome to this area, here's 30-50 quests that individually give you very little xp/money and the items are usually junk or average". It's only when you do a ton (or most) of them that the xp is worth it and you save up some good money and run across a few pieces of great loot in the rewards.

Otoh, like Alex said, if you were going to explore and find these locations, kill these enemies on your own anyways, because adventuring is fun. Then the extra little reward of QUEST COMPLETE when you do it and some bonus xp/money/items is a nice pat on the back that makes it more fun.

I think yeah, if you don't stress on making yourself do most of the mobs (like the lame ones) and just grab as many as you can before you head off and get extra rewards as you explore and play you'll get the most satisfaction. UNFORTUNATELY I think the game kind of screws you here, because the way the quests tend to work is 6-7 people will give quests, and you have to finish them to get the next quests from each person, repeat, repeat, repeat. So while exploring and doing the first set of quests, you're likely to do the requirements for the later sets that you won't have gotten and it doesn't count. One nice slightly compensation is that if you get a drop that is used for a quest that you haven't gotten, you see a vision of it being used in a future quest and it has a blue "!" next to it, so you know not to sell/trade it.

To me the fun questing in XB is:
-Oh hey, I'm exploring and I just found some cool glowing red quest item that I can give to someone later and finish a quest
-Woah, look at that giant unique monster. I think I can take him on. Good thing I got a quest to kill him (or oh wait, I haven't gotten a quest to kill him yet, maybe I shouldn't try)

To me the not-fun questing in XB is:
-Zzzz I'm grinding a generic boring enemy over and over for 30 mins because I need 5 rare drops from him so I can get like almost no xp/money/and a junk item. This seems counter-productive.
-I need to get drops from some enemy that I can't find no matter how many times I've covered this area, wtffff I am wasting my time. Where is my Beastiary :p

Also most quests go like this:
-guy says "please go kill 10 of these animals because they are scary"
-you kill the 10th animal and a screen pops up "congratulation, quest complete, here is your reward"
-if you go back to the guy he's probably just become an NPC at this point and won't thank you :mad:

Some quests require you to go back to the original person and then there's a bit more plot.

Also Also, this game is meant to be played like a Tales game where you switch characters every hour or two to keep the combat a bit more fresh. Like a good Tales, all the characters are good and fun to play as and have vastly different approaches to how they support the others in battle. Plus playing as other people builds up relation points with the other characters and you want everyone happy with each other so you can view all the kizuna talk optional scenes you run across.

Overall I'm enjoying it. But for me it's definitely not edge of your seat I can't put the game down I want to finish the dungeon/I want to see what happens next experience like Takahashi's other games (I think I played through XS ep1 in about 2 marathon sittings total), which I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that it isn't. It's sounds like it's Takahashi's offline WoW/FFXI, and I don't play WoW/FFXI because they aren't my kind of rpg gaming. I also miss Mitsuda ;_;

But overall it's definitely a good game so far (~15 hours in). Hoping it becomes a great one as I get further.

Hmm got to say this kills most of the hype I had for the game before it's release, didn't really expect a Xenosaga advance but I was hoping for something closer it to it for sure. That and I just quit WoW not to long ago because I was burnt on this type of game.

That said, I will still buy it and play it, loved Gears, Episode 1 and 3 so I am hoping I find something in this that I like and not end up hating it like I did Episode 2.

Bebpo

Banned
It's definitely no XS ep2. That was a bad game. Bad story, embarrassing cutscenes, bad battle system, so many problems.

In no way whatsoever do I feel like Xenoblade is a bad game. It's definitely a good game.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
It's definitely no XS ep2. That was a bad game. Bad story, embarrassing cutscenes, bad battle system, so many problems.

In no way whatsoever do I feel like Xenoblade is a bad game. It's definitely a good game.

I wasn't trying to say the quality of Xenoblade would be anywhere near that of Episode II, but given what it is and my prefered type of game, that I hope something about it catches my fancy so I don't personally view it the same as Saga 2.

chaostrophy said:
Sounds like my kind of game. I like the idea of "offline MMORPG" becoming a genre, because I love big, open, explorable worlds but can't stand the balance of MMORPGs, where it takes SO MUCH grinding to feel like you're becoming more powerful. I absolutely adored FFXII and hoped it would become influential to JRPG developers. Everything I hear about Xenoblade that makes me feel like it's the followup to FFXII that FFXIII wasn't makes me more hyped for it.

I totally agree with all of this, especially the bolded part.

kiryogi

Banned
Heh and in comparison to bebpo, I just realized we're at about the same spot but I feel completely different. I've been absolutely enjoying it. Maybe because I have mmo experience. But I haven't felt bored about these lulls. Actually, I didn't realize I was in such a lull (in regards to sections lacking story) my approach with the game has been pretty headon. I'm mainly advancing the story and may explore the new area for a bit. Ill only stop for mobs that I haven't met or look of interest. (I stay faar away from anything huge and has red in their name) i'l also stop for clear up mobs that happen to relate to a quest. I really feel like its been a good balance of gameplay and story so far in terms of keeping me interested. I was worried at first when takahashi said that xenoblade would be a step away from his story/cutscene heavy narratives he's been known for. But what can I say. it hasn't disaapointed me yet.

Xelinis

Is there an option to only render each character's default costumes? While I GREATLY appreciate the effort they put into rendering all the equipment, a lot of it looks very bulky and ridiculous.

kiryogi said:
Heh and in comparison to bebpo, I just realized we're at about the same spot but I feel completely different. I've been absolutely enjoying it. Maybe because I have mmo experience. But I haven't felt bored about these lulls. Actually, I didn't realize I was in such a lull (in regards to sections lacking story) my approach with the game has been pretty headon. I'm mainly advancing the story and may explore the new area for a bit. Ill only stop for mobs that I haven't met or look of interest. (I stay faar away from anything huge and has red in their name) i'l also stop for clear up mobs that happen to relate to a quest. I really feel like its been a good balance of gameplay and story so far in terms of keeping me interested. I was worried at first when takahashi said that xenoblade would be a step away from his story/cutscene heavy narratives he's been known for. But what can I say. it hasn't disaapointed me yet.

Thank you for your impressions, kiryogi. I can easily imagine myself feeling the same way that you do, and I'm totally hyped for this game.

Bebpo said:
impressions

Great impressions, Bebpo, and everyone else. I've become pretty stoked for this game because I enjoyed Soma Bringer and whatever flaws have been mentioned are things that don't really bother me. It sounds exactly like what I wanted from it, and I can't wait.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Cep said:
God MMO-style quests are terrible.

I hated them in Dragon Age, and I will probably hate them here.
If dragon age had MMO-styled quests it had very shitty ones.:p TLR or even WoW had better quest design.

Bebpo

Banned
kiryogi said:

I'm actually a bit surprised you aren't going overkill and doing everything 100% since you come from an MMO and PSO background and enjoy the questing and mob hunting in those games.

Well I finished my day 2 session. Had a lot of fun with the game today. Did a ton of quests, explored every nook and cranny of the areas in the game so far. Went back to the areas I've been to early on and took on new quests and then just did a straight run from the starting town up to where I am now in the story and fought things along the way which took care of a bunch of quests automatically. Did some shopping, some trading.

One thing that really made it fun, was that the battle system started getting more interesting. Characters started getting more skills than they could hold and picking and choosing what arts to equip is a lot of fun. I spent most of the day playing as Rein and going Berserk -> GIANT HIGH DAMAGE SHOT :lol -> Spin attack -> normal damage art with some debuffing, taunting and shielding on bigger enemies.

Before I spend any AP on upgrading arts I like to play as that character for an hour or so and get a feel for all their current arts and which ones I want to be using and spending AP to improve. Tomorrow I plan on using Karna and learning how to play her, I think I've got Shelk and Rein down at this point. Very excited to get more characters since they all play so differently.

Ended the night spending almost an hour making gems to slot, customizing my equipment to be as efficient as possible and finally selling 90% of my inventory because it was getting a bit crowded and using the money to buy art extension books which you need to upgrade any art past lvl.4 (book I gets 5-8, later book II will unlock 9-12 I think). Pretty happy with my party. Also the questing did decent level-wise, went from lvl.20-24 by just reporting in quests today (since the enemies tended to be lower level and I didn't gain much from fighting them).

I like how when you find hidden landmarks you actually get A LOT of xp/ap/sp. Very rewarding since finding normal landmarks doesn't give much.

Will be nice to get back to the story tomorrow since I don't think I saw a single cutscene today, lol.

Man, you guys, this is sounding so awesome. I can't believe I have to wait an indeterminate amount of time to get my hands on this. :(

I'm hoping for an English trailer at E3 along with an announcement of a NA release date. But that may be asking too much...

Cep

Banned
Lafiel said:
If dragon age had MMO-styled quests it had very shitty ones.:p TLR or even WoW had better quest design.

Yeah they were pretty shitty.

They were only 'MMO Styled' mostly in their lack of relevance and the simplicity of the tasks (kill X, collect X, retrieve from/deliver to X).

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:
I'm actually a bit surprised you aren't going overkill and doing everything 100% since you come from an MMO and PSO background and enjoy the questing and mob hunting in those games.

Well I finished my day 2 session. Had a lot of fun with the game today. Did a ton of quests, explored every nook and cranny of the areas in the game so far. Went back to the areas I've been to early on and took on new quests and then just did a straight run from the starting town up to where I am now in the story and fought things along the way which took care of a bunch of quests automatically. Did some shopping, some trading.

One thing that really made it fun, was that the battle system started getting more interesting. Characters started getting more skills than they could hold and picking and choosing what arts to equip is a lot of fun. I spent most of the day playing as Rein and going Berserk -> GIANT HIGH DAMAGE SHOT :lol -> Spin attack -> normal damage art with some debuffing, taunting and shielding on bigger enemies.

Before I spend any AP on upgrading arts I like to play as that character for an hour or so and get a feel for all their current arts and which ones I want to be using and spending AP to improve. Tomorrow I plan on using Karna and learning how to play her, I think I've got Shelk and Rein down at this point. Very excited to get more characters since they all play so differently.

Ended the night spending almost an hour making gems to slot, customizing my equipment to be as efficient as possible and finally selling 90% of my inventory because it was getting a bit crowded and using the money to buy art extension books which you need to upgrade any art past lvl.4 (book I gets 5-8, later book II will unlock 9-12 I think). Pretty happy with my party. Also the questing did decent level-wise, went from lvl.20-24 by just reporting in quests today (since the enemies tended to be lower level and I didn't gain much from fighting them).

I like how when you find hidden landmarks you actually get A LOT of xp/ap/sp. Very rewarding since finding normal landmarks doesn't give much.

Will be nice to get back to the story tomorrow since I don't think I saw a single cutscene today, lol.

Well maybe it's a lesson I learnt from FF12 taking that approach. I got seriously burnt out by hour 40. Might have also been super irritated with switching my gambits and eq when I had to deal with aerial enemies constantly.

I think one of the big appeals I enjoy while roaming around (which is along that MMO mentality)are probably the hard mobs and bosses. They're pretty exciting, not to mention the music really drives the point home in terms of what's at stake.

One thing that's a little negative, but only because Soma Bringer had it, would be the inability to learn and reset your skills as much as you wanted. Once you invest here, that's that. But that's just being spoiled from Soma Bringer. There's no doubt however that they're taking a lot of mechanics from it though.

On Karna though. I played her as soon as I got her, there's not too much to her offensively sadly :lol.(At least when you start off with her?) She's more support if anything. Didn't stop me from using her though since I wanted to raise her Kizuna points.

desu

Is there any kind of walking speed modification or vehicles later in the game? I mean the Kyokami Plains are just gigantic, and even with using the Warp Positions it takes years to travel.

Also I guess if I were to explore everything, do every quest, check every sideway in a dungeon. I would need weeks to get through this game o.o.

Also not sure if this is useful, but there is a small wiki for quests: http://www35.atwiki.jp/xenoblade/pages/20.html (hope its useful to some).

Grampasso

TruePrime said:
It depeds, even monster in the same game will be set up differently. But usually a pretty decent length of time, wether it be a few minutes/hours/days. Hell some monsters aren't even on a set rate. If WoWwiki is to be believed the Time-Lost Drake is randomized but also can have a different monster spawn in it's olace instead, worst of all the thing can despawn after a certain amount of time.
TLP shares spawn CD with Vyragosa (the blue rare drake) in the same area, that means only one of them can be up at the same time. The respawn timer is 8 hours, and there are 4 different spawn point which will be picked up random. TLP will despawn after 10mins if no one (player or mobs) kills him.
BTW, sorry for the derail... In the end I've decided to ordered this. Will I be able to play it safely on a softmodded Wii with US/EU saves on?

Bebpo said:
Anyone whose done the quests at the leg camp, can you help me find these monsters so I can finish the quests:
1. White Edward (only appears in snow or rain by the raguel lake). I've searched the whole lake several times over in the rain and never found him, where is he?!? :|
2. GROGG (appears in leg area) - I've never seen this enemy and I need 2 drops from him
3. Vamp (appears in leg area) - I've never seen this enemy and I need 3 drops from him

Thanks

first one :
on the island at the center of the lake while there's a thunderstorm (it has to be rain AND thunder at the same time)
2nd :
In the zone before Colony 6 (upper level of the leg). Time has to be evening for them to appear, they're almost everywhere
3rd :
A bit east of the refugee camp, there's a cave with spiders, and an ether spot. There should be a red ! near it and they will pop when you search the spot. (Bat-like enemies)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I like real detailed sidequests, with substance (i.e. exploring whole out of the way dungeons, solving puzzles), and interesting rewards... instead of just grinding the same few enemies over and over for drops. Unfortunately a lot of the quests in this game seem like the latter :(

Maybe when this comes to the US I will just concentrate on the main story instead of getting all OCD with the quests.

There are so many people putting up YouTube videos of this game already, it's going to be extremely difficult for me not to spoil a lot of the game before it even comes out in NA.

Fortunately, I can't really tell WTF is going on since it's in Japanese.

I've been watching more battle videos on YouTube and I have a question for people who are playing the game.

Some have noted that you have limited control over the AI-controlled party members. On the one hand, that sounds problematic, but it also seems that each party member has a unique role and plays much differently from the others, am I correct?

So in essence, just deciding which character to use as your leader is a strategic choice, then.

It seems to me, from what I have seen, that the act of putting together your party requires a lot of strategy, especially later on?

Bebpo

Banned
CryingWolf said:
I've been watching more battle videos on YouTube and I have a question for people who are playing the game.

Some have noted that you have limited control over the AI-controlled party members. On the one hand, that sounds problematic, but it also seems that each party member has a unique role and plays much differently from the others, am I correct?

So in essence, just deciding which character to use as your leader is a strategic choice, then.

It seems to me, from what I have seen, that the act of putting together your party requires a lot of strategy, especially later on?

Definitely.

Although I have to say that if you are spending hours doing all the questing and fighting all the unique monsters and exploring out the areas fully, you become soooooooooo overleveled. When I finally moved on to the next dungeon, none of the enemies in the dungeon would attack me because I was about 7-10 levels higher than them :lol Still it's fun destroying all the enemies in a few seconds! But I hope the difficulty will pick up later because if the game is balanced for people who just rush the main storyline, then for people who like to do and see everything, like me, the game is gonna end up really really easy.

I'm not really sure how to judge the game at this point, it's just so different but what an experience it is. I am having a lot of fun, am very immersed and can't put the game down. Almost at 20 hours now.

All I hope at the end of the day, is that this isn't a short game. Because with all the quests and huge areas, it feels like it should be a 100 hour game like FFXII, so if it ends up at like 20 hours if you rush the main quest and 40 hours if you fully explore everything I'm gonna be sad. I mean where I'm at now at 20 hours, I feel like I should be 20-25% in considering how little story has happened, but at the same time I feel like I've traversing the world quicker than I would like. I just don't want the game to end anytime soon!

Also the one unique mob I had killed before I got the quest to kill him finally respawned so I got all my time restricted quests cleared woohoooo.

Quick question for anyone playing:
Is it possible to get the first two settlements (City 9 & the Campside place) past 2 stars this early in the game? Because I feel like I've done a tooooon of quests for both and I only hit 2 stars recently for each.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
All I hope at the end of the day, is that this isn't a short game. Because with all the quests and huge areas, it feels like it should be a 100 hour game like FFXII, so if it ends up at like 20 hours if you rush the main quest and 40 hours if you fully explore everything I'm gonna be sad. I mean where I'm at now at 20 hours, I feel like I should be 20-25% in considering how little story has happened, but at the same time I feel like I've traversing the world quicker than I would like. I just don't want the game to end anytime soon!

Yeah but
don't you end up going to the other God?

Bebpo said:
Also the one unique mob I had killed before I got the quest to kill him finally respawned so I got all my time restricted quests cleared woohoooo.

That's good to know, I think a lot of people were wondering about that.

And about the length, I've just been assuming that nobody is anywhere near the end of the game, yet. It just seems too large. But definitely keep us updated on that.

Top Bottom