• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

kiryogi

Banned
In terms of length, I'm seeing reports that someone in around 40 hours finally got to
Kishin's body

On another note, finally opened the special soundtrack (Woot i didn't order too late) and there's an illustration of Shulk and Fiorune inside by Kunihiko Tanaka. :D Also looks like Tanaka's work inside the flap too of the cyborg girl. Although... super spoiler do not highlight
I'm pretty sure it's Fiorune
That said, I've grown to enjoy Usuda's character designs. I think what I appreciate is that his style has it's own identity. And honestly, I think it looks pretty good now that it's on a bigger platform (From DS to Wii) But yes I agree with what ducky said before about his outfits. They're pretty bizarre. At least it's unique right? lol

Bebpo

Banned
Oh man, I hit the OMG point and the game is SO GOOD.

Between the town inhabitants and their relation stories, the lands to explore, the quests, and the AWESOME storyline, this is starting to get up to XG/XS level fast.

The cutscene direction is so freaking good. Takahashi/Monolithsoft have some of the finest cutscene directors out there. All the major scenes are as well directed and EPIC as the big scenes from XS ep1/3. I've already seen cutscenes in XB that are better than any cutscene from FFXIII :eek:

But to counter all the positive, the further I get the more I notice all the little things that are bad design mistakes:

-NO BEASTIARY IS SO BAD IN THIS GAME. How the hell could they miss this??? There are so many interesting creatures and bosses you fight and no record with their model & more info (and if they wanted to go the extra level, their locations and drops) is incredibly disappointing. For shame Monolith Soft.

-Shop menu is TERRIBAD. Trying to compare whether the item for sale or trade is an improvement over your current equip on the characters takes forever and don't even get me started on buying art books you already have and have used.

-Likewise equipping is terrible. When I say I spend 45 mins customizing my equipment, I don't mean I take that long because there is just so much to think about. No, to go through all your stuff and remember to unequip gems on your current equip before comparing it and equipping new stuff and all the other hassles. Basically everytime you want to change everyone's equip to stuff you've picked up lately, expect to spend at least 20 mins because the equipment screen is godawful.

-No arusuji / STORY JOURNAL. Considering a lot is said or happens each time there is a cutscene and how sometimes you can go A LOT OF HOURS between story scenes if you do a ton of questing, it's pretty terrible that there is no journal keeping track of all the things that have happened so far. I mean you can't rewatch cutscenes, so if you miss something in a scene you're screwed.

So basically it's this big epic rpg. Huge adventure, lots of npcs, lots of story, lots of monsters, and yet it's missing all the little minor stuff almost every other rpg has that would all be really nice to have here! :lol None of that is deal breakers in the slightest, but at times the lack of those things can be a little annoying and you just have to wonder what they were thinking to miss stuff like story journal and beastiary.

Ydahs

Bebpo said:
Loving your impressions. It's like I'm on a roller coaster every time I read them!

This better be at E3. My hype is reaching danger levels.

dili

Bebpo said:
AWESOME storyline, this is starting to get up to XG/XS level fast.
Oh, wow. I had my expectations for the storyline low since it seemed their focus was on gameplay this time and "getting back to basics". But it seems they actually delivered an amazing storyline too in addition to awesome gameplay? Now I really can't wait to play it.

Aeana

I wish I could be having as much fun with the game as you guys. :\ But my lack of enjoyment doesn't have anything to do with the game itself, and more of a general lack of enthusiasm for gaming at the moment. I still think the game is really good.

I passed the game along to someone else since I couldn't really afford to buy it to begin with. Here's hoping I'll be able to get it again sometime in the future when things are going better.

Diffense

Loving your impressions Bebpo.
About the story memo, I thought I saw something like that in screenshots.
I might have been mistaken though.

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:
-NO BEASTIARY IS SO BAD IN THIS GAME. How the hell could they miss this??? There are so many interesting creatures and bosses you fight and no record with their model & more info (and if they wanted to go the extra level, their locations and drops) is incredibly disappointing. For shame Monolith Soft.

I agreed. It would have made questing SO much easier if there was some sort of monster book D:

-Shop menu is TERRIBAD. Trying to compare whether the item for sale or trade is an improvement over your current equip on the characters takes forever and don't even get me started on buying art books you already have and have used.
Hah, thankfully I don't do much shopping outside of the art books. Everything else you find is so much better! Well, I do a lot of selling. Can't say I've done much trading either.

-Likewise equipping is terrible. When I say I spend 45 mins customizing my equipment, I don't mean I take that long because there is just so much to think about. No, to go through all your stuff and remember to unequip gems on your current equip before comparing it and equipping new stuff and all the other hassles. Basically everytime you want to change everyone's equip to stuff you've picked up lately, expect to spend at least 20 mins because the equipment screen is godawful.
I don't think I spend as much time all at once doing that. Although I admit I forget to unequip gems before comparing. But I'm usually always changing gear up as soon as I find it. So it's on a more constant basis for me. They definitely could have had better shortcuts for it, such as transferring your gems to the new equipment.

So basically it's this big epic rpg. Huge adventure, lots of npcs, lots of story, lots of monsters, and yet it's missing all the little minor stuff almost every other rpg has that would all be really nice to have here! :lol None of that is deal breakers in the slightest, but at times the lack of those things can be a little annoying and you just have to wonder what they were thinking to miss stuff like story journal and beastiary.
Yes :D Very little things, not deal breakers at all in the end. Shouldn't have been such a big post of negatives vs the positive!

Diffense said:
Loving your impressions Bebpo.
About the story memo, I thought I saw something like that in screenshots.
I might have been mistaken though.

That story memo bit is more of a quick little note telling you where to go when the guidance marker isn't there.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The game sounds like FF12 crossed with XS / XG.

So it's pretty much my most anticipated game next to fallout new vegas. Hope nintendo announce a US release soon!

That sounds disappointing, i have a belief that any rpg with a big world like this needs a bestiary. It's a good way of giving more back story on the world, like FF12 did.

Dural666

Neo Member
Does it have a good story like the other Xeno games?

Also if I hated FFXII and WKC, do you think that I won't like this game as well?

Bebpo

Banned
If you hated FFXII, it might not be for you.

The first 20 hours is like FFXII with even fewer ratio of story to gameplay. Though there's a good chance as the story gets more and more in gear the ratio will become higher than FFXII's.

Bebpo

Banned
The level design in this game is very impressive. Lots of alternate routes, vertical landscape, things laid out in a realistic fashion. Little things like being pushed in the direction of a river while in it is nice too.

Difficulty is picking back up which is great. Normal enemies are still a few levels below me, but the unique monsters (and wow there is a lot of them at this point) are tough boss fights that I scrape by if I survive at all, lol. Good times.

Really impressed by the amount of completely optional story-telling through map design and mob locations/unique mobs. It's like a real eco system at work sometimes.

Took some pictures, but yeaaaah this game looks bad in stills because the psp-ish models/textures and bad IQ show. In motion though it's a good looking game.

xb02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xb05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xb04.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xb03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/xb01.jpg

Bebpo said:
If you hated FFXII, it might not be for you.

The first 20 hours is like FFXII with even fewer ratio of story to gameplay. Though there's a good chance as the story gets more and more in gear the ratio will become higher than FFXII's.

I'm a cut scene whore lol

So you say the ratio is less than FFXII :-(

But is there good character development, will the plot make me keep moving forward?

They are the few worries I have.

Dascu

Nemesis556 said:
So, umm, is this import friendly at all? Or is it all heavy Japanese?
Look, there's a pretty big chance of this being announced for localization at Nintendo's upcoming E3 conference. I don't think you need to worry about importing yet.

kiryogi

Banned
Dascu said:
Look, there's a pretty big chance of this being announced for localization at Nintendo's upcoming E3 conference. I don't think you need to worry about importing yet.
Look there's a good chance he wants to play it now instead! :D

Darthdevidem01 said:

But is there good character development, will the plot make me keep moving forward?

I heard from GameFAQs there's more dialogue than Xenosaga (which has a ton of dialogue). Also apparently the story is similar to Xenosaga's. Xenosaga has a better story than any FF game, darth, so you'll be fine :p

kiryogi

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
I heard from GameFAQs there's more dialogue than Xenosaga (which has a ton of dialogue). Also apparently the story is similar to Xenosaga's. Xenosaga has a better story than any FF game, darth, so you'll be fine :p
The concepts are similar at least, but no idea how much similar they are aside from a few main ideas so far. We'll see. But honestly, Takahashi never really has disappointed when he's actually at the helm.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

Honestly, after xenosaga episode 1 i actually welcome a higher gameplay-cutscene ratio. I liked the storyline in xenosaga ep 1, but the cutscenes were a bit to much for me, they were so many cutscenes my dad even commented on it.:lol

But more dialogue than xenosaga episode 1, that's pretty cool. Lots of dialogue coupled with lots of game play sounds pretty good to me.

BlueWord

Dascu said:

Wasn't it already announced as Monado?

Bebpo said:

Between the town inhabitants and their relation stories, the lands to explore, the quests, and the AWESOME storyline, this is starting to get up to XG/XS level fast.

The cutscene direction is so freaking good. Takahashi/Monolithsoft have some of the finest cutscene directors out there. All the major scenes are as well directed and EPIC as the big scenes from XS ep1/3. I've already seen cutscenes in XB that are better than any cutscene from FFXIII :eek:

But to counter all the positive, the further I get the more I notice all the little things that are bad design mistakes:

-No arusuji / STORY JOURNAL. Considering a lot is said or happens each time there is a cutscene and how sometimes you can go A LOT OF HOURS between story scenes if you do a ton of questing, it's pretty terrible that there is no journal keeping track of all the things that have happened so far. I mean you can't rewatch cutscenes, so if you miss something in a scene you're screwed.

Wow. I can't say I've read too many impressions like that this gen. It's like Word Candy. Cant wait til this hits the States

-Oath

Is it just me or is money very hard to come by in this game?
Ive been doing quests but it never seems to be enough, the Art books cost an arm and leg.
I only have a little under half of the art books available and all my characters AP is backed up :/

desu

From what I've seen, only spend money on art books, because thats the only think you really need. I would recommend selling loot, gives tons of money (more than enough to always buy all art books).

-Oath

Bebpo said:
Well, I dont know any Japanese but when I buy art books theres usually a question that pops up when you try to buy an art book you already have/used.
When you try to buy art books you dont have/used it goes straight to the how many you want option.

desu said:
From what I've seen, only spend money on art books, because thats the only think you really need. I would recommend selling loot, gives tons of money (more than enough to always buy all art books).
Really? They get extremely expensive later on.
Ill try it though.

DarkPanda

While I'll be getting this game regardless because it sounds awesome, is there any chance that they'll fix some of these issues like the beastary and equip screens for the US release like some companies do, or is there no chance because this is Nintendo we're talking about?

Lucis

Not many people actually playing this on this thread eh...

Got it Friday and played a bit yesterday (man my gaming hour is rare now)

Many concern people listed here are pretty valid.

Early
twist about how ******* died... serious wtf, totally didn't expect it

Shopping for equipment is really useless, waste of money that can be used on arts book.

The quests.... i'm giving up on them already, way too time consuming for someone like me who don't have much time.

fionel

Just hit the 11 hour mark and the game has exceeded my expectations in all aspects. I was expecting a FF12 clone with the usual brilliant story from takahashi. I loved FF12 but I think XB has the potential to be better.

When I first started playing I really didnt like the character designs. I mean whats up with all the PSP texture faces and ridiculously big eyes? However as I play along I find the characters very likeable and intelligent. The dialogue is really well written for all the characters and it doesnt have any filler or things that make you cringe like so many JRPGs out there.

The battle system is quite different from FF12 to my surprise. It's faster and more hectic and a lot of time I have trouble with keeping up with whats going on. I also like how all the characters play a different role and have their own meta game individually.

I used to play a ton of RPGs but as I'm getting old I have been finding less and less excitement or freshness from them. I seriously don't remember the last RPG that would keep me playing for hours b/c I want to find out what's going to happen next. But I find Xenoblade's well crafted cutscenes and its pacing to be very enjoyable and doing just that to me.

joetachi

From watching some videos im loving the armor changes in cut-scenes some armors are so ridiculous you cant help laugh at a serious cut scene.

Yeah I gave in and bought this over the weekend. WOW I am really loving it. The battle system opens up at a good pace with some interesting additions. I have enjoyed the story so far although a lot of the dialogue can be the normal annoying JRPG fare. The game has been beautiful so far and the scale of the areas really feels great.

The camera isn't perfect and can be really annoying in small areas, but it works fine open areas. One of my biggest problems with the game is the battle UI is a little bit too big and obtrusive for me.

The customization is pretty fun, and gem crafting gives you a lot of different attributes to play around with. I will also admit the shop/equipment screens are kind of unintuitive.

The loot has been pretty nice so far too. I like how varied the armor/weapon design is.

The game is definitely quest overload, and you can usually get 4 quests from one guy even if its the first time you have met him. I like that the vision ability lets you know when you collect something for a future quest. Clever idea there. I am not OCD about most RPGs so the number and repetitiveness don't really bother me. It's not that bad anyway because it seems that usually the enemies drop quest items even if you haven't taken the quest. There have been several times where I met an NPC for the first time only to clear 4 quests all at once and open up new ones.

Also Danban is totally
Citan - the P.H.D Cherry blossoms even pop up on his attacks :) :) :)

Bebpo

Banned
JonStark said:
I think this was already answered, but is the weather dynamic ?

Please be dynamic please be dynamic , please be dynamic !

Yep.

Some quests are weather restricted and since you can't change the weather you'll be walking around and then suddenly there's a thunderstorm and you're like "!!" as you remember that thunderstorm restricted quest in an earlier area and you bring out the map and warp there and get it done and warp back to where you were in the story.

Darthdevidem01 said:

Character development is good. Plot is good.

-Oath said:
Well, I dont know any Japanese but when I buy art books theres usually a question that pops up when you try to buy an art book you already have/used.
When you try to buy art books you dont have/used it goes straight to the how many you want option.

Weird. As a test I tried buying one I'd already bought and used before and it didn't say anything and now I own a useless book! ^^;

And yeah, as others have said, sell your loot to afford stuff. Doing lots of quests help as most give money rewards.

Despite what everyone says about "don't buy anything but art books" when I find a new shop I go through all their items and usually find a few pieces of equip that are better that what I have on a character. I tend to have tooooons of money from doing all the quests I can find and so I don't mind spending.

Bebpo said:
Yep.

Some quests are weather restricted and since you can't change the weather you'll be walking around and then suddenly there's a thunderstorm and you're like "!!" as you remember that thunderstorm restricted quest in an earlier area and you bring out the map and warp there and get it done and warp back to where you were in the story.

HELL YEAH

-Oath

Bebpo said:
Weird. As a test I tried buying one I'd already bought and used before and it didn't say anything and now I own a useless book! ^^;

And yeah, as others have said, sell your loot to afford stuff. Doing lots of quests help as most give money rewards.

Despite what everyone says about "don't buy anything but art books" when I find a new shop I go through all their items and usually find a few pieces of equip that are better that what I have on a character. I tend to have tooooons of money from doing all the quests I can find and so I don't mind spending.

Oh dear... um... your game hates you? I definitely got some kind of warning message before buying books though.

Just sold a great chunk of my loot. Bought about 7 art books. Now Im poor again :p. It helps though.

Ill try to do more quests I guess. Its kinda hard since Im not exactly sure what the NPCs are requesting but I manage. Still never seems enough though. Im poor as crap right now ;_;

wsippel

Banned
heringer said:
Any word on how the game is selling?
Not well enough. Had a chance to play it at a friends place yesterday, and it's really damn awesome. No matter how well (or bad) it sold, it should have sold much better in a much shorter timeframe. The scale and atmosphere are second to none this generation, even if you don't understand what's going on - my friend understands Japanese, and if you know what's going on, it's even better.

ivysaur12

Banned
heringer said:
Any word on how the game is selling?

Edit: apparently 50k first day.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21807659&postcount=101

Eh. Expected, but I wish it was doing better. Soma Bringer did 54k in its first week fyi.

linecomparegamejp.php

Disaster did 12k its first week, Origins did 12k, BK1 did 47k (both BK games had decent legs for JRPGs, ended up doing more than double of its first week sales, much more in BKO's case) for Monolith console games on Nintendo systems.

For Xeno games, Xeno 1 did 300k its first week, Xeno 2 did 183k, and Xeno 3 119k.

EDIT: Anyone have first day sales for Xeno III? It probably is a lot higher than 50k.

Bebpo

Banned
Even if it doesn't sell better than XS ep3, just getting close to those sales with the little or no marketing Nintendo provided compared to the Namco's decent marketing (not to mention every rpg player owns a ps2 userbase vs. current wii userbase situation) isn't a bad feat and imo shows there's still a market for Takahashi's console rpgs. Let's see what the official first week numbers are like.

Honestly, I just hope Nintendo doesn't drive Monolith Soft out of business because they feel they aren't worth the money. If Monolith Soft had to stop making original games like XS, XB, BK, Soma Bringer, Disaster and instead these greatly talented crew were relegated to making shitty SRW spinoff rpgs and DBZ rpgs to stay afloat, it'd be really sad :(

Top Bottom