• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
Even if it doesn't sell better than XS ep3, just getting close to those sales with the little or no marketing Nintendo provided compared to the Namco's decent marketing (not to mention every rpg player owns a ps2 userbase vs. current wii userbase situation) isn't a bad feat and imo shows there's still a market for Takahashi's console rpgs. Let's see what the official first week numbers are like.

Honestly, I just hope Nintendo doesn't drive Monolith Soft out of business because they feel they aren't worth the money. If Monolith Soft had to stop making original games like XS, XB, BK, Soma Bringer, Disaster and instead these greatly talented crew were relegated to making shitty SRW spinoff rpgs and DBZ rpgs, it'd be really sad :(

I'm sure XB will prove to be profitable if those are its first day sales with that shipment. It's already sold better than

Eyeshield 21
Endless Ocean
Captain Rainbow
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Another Code R
Takt of Magic
New Play Control! Chibi-Robo!
Punch-Out!!
Endless Ocean 2
Sin and Punishment 2: Successor to the Sky
Zangeki no Reginleiv

And most likely will outsell: Fatal Frame, Wario Land: Shake It!, Battalion Wars 2, Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Excite Truck

farnham said:
this and graces SHOULD get localized IMO

Also, Graces sold 143k its first week, for comparison.

Bebpo

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I'm sure XB will prove to be profitable if those are its first day sales with that shipment. It's already sold better than

Eyeshield 21
Endless Ocean
Captain Rainbow
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Another Code R
Takt of Magic
New Play Control! Chibi-Robo!
Punch-Out!!
Endless Ocean 2
Sin and Punishment 2: Successor to the Sky
Zangeki no Reginleiv

And most likely will outsell: Fatal Frame, Wario Land: Shake It!, Battalion Wars 2, Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Excite Truck

To be fair, you have to account for it having a larger budget than all those games most likely :p

Bebpo said:
Honestly, I just hope Nintendo doesn't drive Monolith Soft out of business because they feel they aren't worth the money. If Monolith Soft had to stop making original games like XS, XB, BK, Soma Bringer, Disaster and instead these greatly talented crew were relegated to making shitty SRW spinoff rpgs and DBZ rpgs to stay afloat, it'd be really sad :(

My hope is that Nintendo was impressed by Monolith Soft's work with the BK series and bought to nurture the development of quality RPGs on their consoles and in doing so, knew what they were getting into and had reasonable expectations. I'd be sad if the relationship ever soured.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
To be fair, you have to account for it having a larger budget than all those games most likely :p

Yeah, I know :p

It still most likely going to outsell the vast majority of Nintendo's Wii games this generation. Even though we don't know much about budgets, I'm going to guess that Xenoblade wil most likely pull a profit.

Bebpo

Banned
Hope so. Game and company deserve better sales then they've been getting for a while.

BKO's 12k was really really sad. One of the biggest rpg bombs ever.

dsister44

Bebpo said:
Even if it doesn't sell better than XS ep3, just getting close to those sales with the little or no marketing Nintendo provided compared to the Namco's decent marketing (not to mention every rpg player owns a ps2 userbase vs. current wii userbase situation) isn't a bad feat and imo shows there's still a market for Takahashi's console rpgs. Let's see what the official first week numbers are like.

Honestly, I just hope Nintendo doesn't drive Monolith Soft out of business because they feel they aren't worth the money. If Monolith Soft had to stop making original games like XS, XB, BK, Soma Bringer, Disaster and instead these greatly talented crew were relegated to making shitty SRW spinoff rpgs and DBZ rpgs to stay afloat, it'd be really sad :(

with nintendo owning most of the shares I dont see them going out of business any time soon

Bebpo

Banned
Still it's a little worrisome when you have their best artist assigned (his choice, or nintendo's choice?) to be art director for a dragonball game over Xenoblade.

I mean Honne's art in their DBZ game is reallllly good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNBGUqcxjAM

But it's a DBZ game instead of say, an original rpg. :X

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
Hope so. Game and company deserve better sales then they've been getting for a while.

BKO's 12k was really really sad. One of the biggest rpg bombs ever.

It ended up doing 47k, actually. Still pretty terrible, but it's actually kind of impressive that it even managed to get there considering how front-loaded JRPGs are.

BKO should have been Wiimade and released at launch. They would have easily gotten the money back from a longer development time. It would have been even easier for BKO because you just needed to choose the card, not just the number like in the first BK.

Bebpo said:
Still it's a little worrisome when you have their best artist assigned (his choice, or nintendo's choice?) to be art director for a dragonball game over Xenoblade.

I mean Honne's art in their DBZ game is reallllly good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNBGUqcxjAM

But it's a DBZ game instead of say, an original rpg. :X

I would really, really like Xenoblade to kill DBZ DS's sales and be Monolith's best selling title this gen. Not gonna happen since that was about 200k, but beating 120k would push it past SRW:OGF and 130k past Namco x Capcom.

ILikeFeet

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I would really, really like Xenoblade to kill DBZ DS's sales and be Monolith's best selling title this gen. Not gonna happen since that was about 200k, but beating 120k would push it past SRW:OGF and 130k past Namco x Capcom.

wait. you say something about Endless Frontier?! Atlus will localize Exceed? No!? fuuuuuuuuuuu *cuts self*

This game really is good. I haven't had a game which gets stuck in my mind throughout the day in a while. Can't wait to get home today and grind some more!

I did a bunch of quests last night and it was very painless and pretty fun. As bebpo said the landmark/fast travel option makes it so you can knock them out pretty quickly if you want. Or you can enjoy running across the expansive overworld.

And what a great overworld it is. It really is well designed and after exploring while doing quests I saw tons of different shortcuts/secret areas/etc. The vertical design helps to keep things fresh. It's pretty awesome to climb up part of the "Hip" area only to look back down at where you were a minute ago.

The areas in the beginning are pretty standard fare art wise, but I just ran into a really beautiful area that has an absolutely breathtaking night change.

Apparently the game has a super secret boss of some sorts, and it's
Wilhelm! :O If it's the same character this totally makes up for not fighting him in Xenosaga.

I got this info from GameFAQs.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Wilhelm! :O If it's the same character this totally makes up for not fighting him in Xenosaga.

Awesome if true.

Sophia

Bel Marduk said:

Major spoiler:
I couldn't find a video of the supposed secret boss on niconico, however, I DID find the ending, and one of the voices in it sounds like chaos... or they have the voice of Sōichirō Hoshi at least.

ivysaur12

Banned
Marrshu said:
Major spoiler:
I couldn't find a video of the supposed secret boss on niconico, however, I DID find the ending, and one of the voices in it sounds like chaos... or they have the voice of Sōichirō Hoshi at least.

I wonder if they would... no... beginning of the world? They wouldn't... It would be too ridiculous! :lol

dili

Bel Marduk said:

Heh. :D

So their most likely is Takahashi game cameo's in this game afterall! Reminds me of Big Joe from Xenogears being a secret boss in Xenosaga 1 or G Elements/Welltall in Xenosaga III.

Really awesome if true.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I skimmed through the credits, on top of director Koh Kojima is also credited near the beginning for Game Design. Takahashi was credited for the scenario, concept, and as executive director. So this game is Takahashi's but it was Tetsuya Takahashi x Koh Kojima leading the way.

Most of the people credited are MonolithSoft vets as expected, and a lot of Xenosaga staff were involved including many who worked on Soma Bringer. Both Yasuyuki Honne and Tonny Waiman Koo were credited for Conceptual Art Design, though Tonny was credited last under 2D bg design as well. The art director was actually Norihiro Takami, who took over Honne's role on Xenosaga (I don't think anyone was credited as the art director of 3 but he was credited as the Art & Event Movie Director of 2 and the event director of 3). He was also the first person credited under Cinematics Direction, and was the cut scene director of Chrono Cross, Xenosaga, and Disaster. He also had roles in the movie sections for Final Fantasy VIII, Parasite Eve, and Baten Kaitos EWatLO. Aside from Kojima and Takahashi, Norihiro Takami was also a notable name for this project.

P.S. Keiichi Ono wasn't credited for anything from the looks of it. :p

P.P.S. They credited Kunihiko Tanaka for Image Art near the beginning too, but I guess that was just for the bonus illustration he drew? :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm waiting quite impatiently for my copy to arrive. I put it on long shipping so I could have time to play Torchlight, but playing Torchlight is just making me want to play Xenoblade more. :S

Can't wait!

Xelinis

Bel Marduk said:

Wait, WHAT?

Bebpo

Banned
Spent all day exploring, doing side quests and the city building aspect. My XB play sessions seem to be boiling down to something like "even days advance the story, odd days sidequesting and not moving a foot forward story-wise" lol.

The city building is ok. Basically there are various parts of the city and to build each one you need x amount of loot A and y amount of loot B. I think they're all normal/rare drops from standard monsters. When I first started building I had enough items to up all the sections to level 2, which brought more buildings and people to the town.

The game actually has a lot of good story sidequests in addition to the typical monster hunts. Sometimes an area has all kinds of cool ruins and lore and things that are never touched upon in the story, but if you do the sidequests you'll find out lots about them and the people, creatures, races that live in the areas. The sidequests also help develop the NPCs and their relations. In the first part of the game the quests were mainly "kill x this" and so I didn't care who these people were. But now I'm getting to know dozens and dozens of npcs and who they are beyond just a name that is at certain spots all day. I've saved lives, stopped marriages, worked with illegal arms dealers, found secret passageways, all within the first couple of settlements. It's also nice when you become friendly with the people after helping them and they'll do nice things for you like go and get your presents or tell you where their secret stash is hidden.

The sidequests are also nice because between the xp they give (story sidequests can give a bunch) and the xp from achievements for completing the sidequests and social aspects of the game, you gain a lot of levels! In 5 hours of story playing yesterday I probably went from level 26-30. In 5 hours of questing today I went from 31-34. So you still feel like you're making progress and doing story stuff helps up your team relations as well which lets you see more kizuna talks and get more out of the story.

Some of the unique mob battles are reaaaally good. Very intense and satisfying fights.

Worst thing that I've noticed today is that sometimes if you're fighting a unique mob or a quest group of enemies on a cliffish platform the stupid enemies will KNOCK YOU OFF. You get the mob down to a few hits left after a few minutes of good fighting and then it knocks you off and you have to run back to him and start over with him at full HP. Then you beat him and he FALLS OFF and you get the xp but all his unique rare drops fell off the cliff with him :(

I think in a lot of ways, Xenoblade is already one of the best games I've ever played. I've really had hours where it was an incredible experience like no other game out there. Where you really get in the zone and are totally immersed in this world they've created and exploring it and living it is pure joy. I guess this is what being addicted to MMOs are like!

Also the game world reminds me a lot of the original .hack game games. It's the same type of big wildlife, mystery, ruins, beautiful music, similar towns and npc interaction/shopping/trading. It's like .hack but on a much grander scale and with a far better battle system and more mature storyline. A lot of it is the music too. There's a lot of similarities in the style. There's one area where you'll have .hack flashbacks for sure if you were a fan of the series.

Anyhow I think I'm around where Budokai just got to. I think in the best efforts to not spoil the game storywise for each other, it might be easier to just refer to where you are when asking questions or talking about story stuff by which area # you're at if you click on area map. I'm on #6 right now and I thiink I've cleared most of the available sidestuff in the game so far. ~26 hours atm. I'm going so slow, lol but I love sidequesting and exploring. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't hit the halfway point of the game until the 50 hour mark+

Diffense

Your impressions rock Bebpo! This game seems to have almost everything I like in a an RPG.
And that's pretty rare these days that's why I haven't bought one in quite a while.
The developers said a lot of grinding would not be necessary and it seems they got it right.
It looks like there are so many ways to gain experience and better equipment that you don't have to go out of your way to level up.

One silly question I have: from watching early play in Colony 9, it seems that most buildings cannot be entered.
Is this how it generally is in towns?
I'm just curious about that.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I was disappointed in that at first. I mean the first thing I did was try to enter a door and it was closed shut!

That's why I think the towns are more like the .hack towns than say FFXII. They are more like a low-polygon open hub of NPCs walking around. They aren't as fleshed out and huge as the 3 or 4 big FFXII towns.

Empty rooms have always been a big thing for me in rpgs. If the team takes the effort to design a neat looking room that has zero purpose at all, it impresses me because it makes the towns/world feel more alive. Most rpgs these days lock every door. Real bummer. Tales of Graces was one of the few recent rpgs that actually let you go into a lot of the rooms and buildings and just chat with npcs in their homes and rob them of their junk items in their drawers.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I love riding the Bebpocoaster every time a new RPG comes out.

Love it, hate it, love it, hate it.

Shirokun

Bebpo said:
I think in a lot of ways, Xenoblade is already one of the best games I've ever played.

: O

Anyone want my unopened copy of Xenoblade? I can't bear to have this game in my possession anymore without the means to play it. : (

Bebpo

Banned
One thing that definitely does suck is you are limited to 3 and 1/2 pages of inventory for enemy drops.

This means by the time you get to where I am, maybe 20-40% through the game, your inventory is full and if you want to actually keep the drops from enemies you kill, you need to sell off a lot of your drops (normal & rare) from earlier in the game.

This is kind of super lame because you actually need those drops for certain things like city building or quests. So now I'm going to have to go to my city building tomorrow, write down all the drops I need for the next set of city upgrades, and make sure when I sell off 1/2 my drop inventory I don't sell those or current or future quest items (marked by red ! or blue ! respectively). Bleh.

What is the point in giving you a limited inventory anyhow? You should be able to keep all the drops you get! wtff.

It's slightly annoying that such a great game has all these minor things that shouldn't exist in the first place.

sprsk said:
I love riding the Bebpocoaster every time a new RPG comes out.

Love it, hate it, love it, hate it.

I aim to please!

Sophia

Shirokun said:
Anyone want my unopened copy of Xenoblade? I can't bear to have this game in my possession anymore without the means to play it. : (

I'd totally take it off you. :lol

Your impressions sound great, Bebop. I can't wait. D:

Shirokun

Bebpo said:
One thing that definitely does suck is you are limited to 3 and 1/2 pages of inventory for enemy drops.

This means by the time you get to where I am, maybe 20-40% through the game, your inventory is full and if you want to actually keep the drops from enemies you kill, you need to sell off a lot of your drops (normal & rare) from earlier in the game.

This is kind of super lame because you actually need those drops for certain things like city building or quests. So now I'm going to have to go to my city building tomorrow, write down all the drops I need for the next set of city upgrades, and make sure when I sell off 1/2 my drop inventory I don't sell those or current or future quest items (marked by red ! or blue ! respectively). Bleh.

What is the point in giving you a limited inventory anyhow? You should be able to keep all the drops you get! wtff.

It's slightly annoying that such a great game has all these minor things that shouldn't exist in the first place.

I aim to please!

Sounds like this game needs a Xenoblade: Reloaded.

Not like there's any chance of this ever happening.

I wonder if there is any chance of fixing any of these little minor issues in the NA localization, or even adding a Bestiary. I won't get my hopes up of course.. I'll just be happy to get an English version at all.

Bebpo said:
Anyhow I think I'm around where Budokai just got to. I think in the best efforts to not spoil the game storywise for each other, it might be easier to just refer to where you are when asking questions or talking about story stuff by which area # you're at if you click on area map. I'm on #6 right now and I thiink I've cleared most of the available sidestuff in the game so far. ~26 hours atm. I'm going so slow, lol but I love sidequesting and exploring. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't hit the halfway point of the game until the 50 hour mark+

Yes! Area #6 is absolutely amazing! The nighttime change shocked me so much :O

The atmosphere in this game is pefect and I have also been enjoying the long absent feeling of immersion from a RPG. I will chalk that up to how well designed the areas are, especially the overworld. I actually enjoy running from place to place and taking in the scenery, looking for secret areas, questing, and grinding.

I also love going in and ransacking NPC houses, so I was also disappointed that most of the buildings are just for backdrop. Still, the towns feel lively because of all the NPCs and quests littered about.

The combat system is still fun, although not terribly complex. I am not sure how much of the system is currently unlocked, but I kind of hope there is something else left.

I finished up a good chunk of the quests I had in my journal yesterday, found a couple of hidden areas, and then did the story quest to move onto the next area. I also finally unlocked the town rebuilding, but haven't had a chance to dabble with it yet.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to slow down my playtime because my Wii is acting up. I am getting the wierd pixelation problem after playing for a couple of hours. It is still intermittent and pretty minor so hopefully I can pace my way through the game before the GPU goes kaput. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I have pixel errors, gpu artifacting. My GPU has been partly dead for a year+ now, but it's not super noticable in most games so I haven't replaced my wii. It's far more noticable in Xenoblade than Mario Galaxy 2, Graces, or Zangeki. I'm guessing XB is pushing the gpu to its max.

Most of the time there's no errors at all. Sometimes it's minor like the dots near "press"
xenopixel00.jpg

Every once and a while there's a spot where the gpu goes crazy and looks broken >_<
xenopixel.jpg

Luckily I've already checked if the save is locked (it's not), so if Nintendo announces a price drop at E3 I'll probably just replace my Wii and copy over the save.

Anyhow in terms of the game, in area #2
have you found a way to get to that mineral rock that's above a ledge higher than you can jump? Right before the water lake where you climbed a vine for the first time? I have 100% collection items in each area so far except I'm at 88% in those caves because there's a portion of the map I haven't discovered

Also in terms of a sidequest I can't figure out, post-city building in area #4
the lady wants me to get 3 items to make a medicine. The 3rd item is in colony 6 but uh, I can't find it? I mean there isn't a whole lot of map that makes up colony 6 so I'm not sure where it is. It doesn't say it's a drop, so I'm guessing it's a red collection item somewhere,

I actually am gonna slow down myself for the next few days because between having summer school all tues/wed and E3, no time for long XB sessions!

Bebpo

Banned
Now that I actually have a few party members it's really tough being restricted to a 3 person party. Every character is good and you want them in your party. Plus you want to be building up character connections so you don't want to stick with the same people either. Although man, the connections/kizuna between party members builds up soooo slow.

I feel like between picking your party members, picking your arts, picking your leader, and mix & matching equipment and creating+using gems there is a lot of depth in the battle system. Since all that stuff is pre-battle, I think that's where the strategy is almost entirely: in the planning. Though there's still some strategy of when to buff/debuff or use what in battle itself.

I've heard enough about how awesome this game is; I'm convinced. Now I just want to hear some good news about me being able to play it, in English - and soon! Don't let me down tomorrow morning, Nintendo.

Damn yeah that is about what mine is like. Sometimes after a long play session they do start popping up all over the place, but only intermittently.

It sucks because it happened to my friends wii a couple of years ago and he was told it was because he kept connect24 on. I have always had that option turned off since then but now it starts while playing xenoblade :(

And I am not sure about your questions. I have ran into a couple of ledges like that and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get over them. I haven't even started city building yet so no idea on the other one either.

And yeah there is definitely depth to the battle system especially in the preparation. I love the level of customization the game gives you. I guess just the speed with which the battles flow most of the time make it feel sort of hands off.

My favorite part of the battle system has to be the Vision power. I like that often times there are several ways to go about changing the future.

Once I finish my internship work then I am probably going to delve back into this game and do some serious side-questing. It really is quite strange as I usually avoid side quests in RPGs(outside of ones that give new weapons/skills which I do slave through usually) because I usually find them quite dull. It may just be that I have been starved for a game with a original and interesting overworld, but I really have enjoyed just running around doing quests. Although I doubt I will get 100% my first time through I might one day. The only other RPGs where I did everything possible were Skies of Arcadia and Suikoden III.

kiryogi

Banned
Just got Dunban. Holy ownage :D But really I was asking myself this. Why is it some of the best JRPGs this generation are wii? :lol

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Am I the only one weeping at the absence of an announced NA release for this bad boy?

No. ;_;

Reggie kept saying how Nintendo was embracing games from different backgrounds and cultures, so I'd been expecting it too.

ivysaur12

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:
Am I the only one weeping at the absence of an announced NA release for this bad boy?

I'm really hoping that it shows up on the show floor like Sin & Punishment did last year, but dammit, I'm gonna be extremely upset if it doesn't get released over here.

kiryogi

Banned
ROFL I just realized. They didn't mention a dime of this or Last Story.... Either it's later on, or are they pulling an ASH and Soma Bringer again :lol Time to think about importing? :D

tim1138

ivysaur12 said:
I'm really hoping that it shows up on the show floor like Sin & Punishment did last year, but dammit, I'm gonna be extremely upset if it doesn't get released over here.

Don't get your hopes up--it's not even on the press site this year.

ivysaur12

Banned
tim1138 said:
Don't get your hopes up--it's not even on the press site this year.

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Wow, that didn't take long for me to get super pissed after the Nintendo conference.

tim1138

ivysaur12 said:
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Wow, that didn't take long for me to get super pissed after the Nintendo conference.

No mention of the Last Story either. Here's what they have on their release list:

METROID™: Other M Aug. 31
Samurai Warriors™ 3 Sept. 27
Kirby’s Epic Yarn™ Fall
Wii Party™ Fall
Donkey Kong Country™ Returns Holiday
FlingSmash™ Holiday
PokéPark™ Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure Holiday
The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword 2011
Mario™ Sports Mix 2011

-edit-

Those are the only games they have any assets for as well.

Top Bottom