• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
New music! :D

Not in a style I was expecting, I really doubt that's Shimomura either. Sounds Shiina-ish, even though it can't be him.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I cant load the trailer due to being on dialup at my folks but mercy I hope these comments about the dull colouring is subjective to whatever scenes were shot for the trailer.

I liked Disaster, so I was interested in this game, and I liked the ideas they had behind it. I dont like most JPRGs and the original E3 trailer looked aborted. However, the screens from Famitsu looked very lush and colourful, and in an ocean of brown and grey games I thought it looked interesting.

If they've for some reason ditched this the game probably wont get a second look from me. Assuming it ever gets translated...and comes to Australia.

I want big open green grasslands, as it looked. Not murky brown/grey shit storms.

logo_zenoblade.png

img_package.jpg

Luigiv

duckroll said:
The new art on the front page looks REALLY nice. Also, the game supports Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro. :)
Isn't that a little redundant? I mean as far as the Wii's concerned the two are on in the same. It's like saying TWEWY is both DS and DSL compatible.

Anyway, Love the new music track.

Luigiv said:
Isn't that a little redundant? I mean as far as the Wii's concerned the two are on in the same. It's like saying TWEWY is both DS and DSL compatible.

Anyway, Love the new music track.

If a game supports the Classic Controller, it doesn't automatically mean it supports the Classic Controller Pro, from what I understand.

Luigiv

thestopsign said:
If a game supports the Classic Controller, it doesn't automatically mean it supports the Classic Controller Pro, from what I understand.
Any proof of this? I mean the only feature removed from the Pro is the analogue triggers, which as far as I'm aware were not used by a single game. Other then that the pro is nothing more then a cosmetic makeover.

Luigiv said:
Any proof of this? I mean the only feature removed from the Pro is the analogue triggers, which as far as I'm aware were not used by a single game. Other then that the pro is nothing more then a cosmetic makeover.

If you google image search the classic controller pro, it has 4 shoulder buttons, not two. That's a big enough difference I believe.

Shiggy

thestopsign said:
If you google image search the classic controller pro, it has 4 shoulder buttons, not two. That's a big enough difference I believe.

The Classic Controller also has four shoulder buttons. If the CC is supported, then you can also use the CC Pro.

Kishgal

Banned
thestopsign said:
The regular classic controller has four shoulder buttons, as well. L, LZ, RZ, R. They're just arranged differently.

JoeFenix

New music could very well be Shimomura, she can adopt different styles easily and this definitely sounds like something she could have composed.

We'll see I guess!

RpgN

I've watchted the trailer twice and something is off...like the trailer portraying the game better than it really is, maybe my expectations are too high. Hopefully we'll see more of it soon.

ivysaur12

Banned
After watching the trailer on the site, I guess it wasn't really the compression on the youtube video. It doesn't really look technically good, but I'm still hyped do to potential scale/MonolithSoft/you're living on DEAD MECHA GODS

ivysaur12 said:
After watching the trailer on the site, I guess it wasn't really the compression on the youtube video. It doesn't really look technically good, but I'm still hyped do to potential scale/MonolithSoft/you're living on DEAD MECHA GODS

I dunno it looks fine. I'm not sure what kind of budget or the expectations are, but the visuals look around what you'd expect from the average PS2 jrpg (b-tier stuff, not huge games like FFXII).

heringer

Linkzg said:
I dunno it looks fine. I'm not sure what kind of budget or the expectations are, but the visuals look around what you'd expect from the average PS2 jrpg (b-tier stuff, not huge games like FFXII).
Maybe that's exactly the problem. Average PS2 graphics doesn't cut it anymore. A-tier PS2 graphics? Sure, that we could buy.

Well, at least the scale is promising. The final scene show two guys looking at the giants and that was pretty cool.

Also, apparently it's the same character design of Some Bringer? I hate his art.

edit: I recommend watching the trailer on the official site, the compression is much better than the Youtube video (even the HQ one). It isn't as muddy as I believed. Still doesn't look very good though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Linkzg said:

feel free to rank ps2 rpg visuals

ps2 rpgs:
ffx_790screen025.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20061027031022025_640w.jpg

536705_20040709_screen023.jpg

persona3ps2_003-large.jpg

okage_27_640w.jpg

xenosaga-episode-iii-also-sprach-zarathustra-20060623045312513_640w.jpg

Shadow_Hearts_Yuri_Battle.jpg

shin_mt_devil_summoner_09.jpg

tales_of_the_abyss_import_profilelarge.jpg

tales_of_legendia_37.jpg

Wild-arms-5-20070802111749045.jpg

smt_digital_devil_2_37.jpg

lucifers-call-shin-megami-tensei-nocturne.318710.jpg

baten-kaitos-origins-20060801040121840_640w.jpg

growlanser4_tgs_092803_02_640w.jpg

baten-kaitos-gamecube.484137.jpg

saga_790screen001.jpg

924486_20051010_790screen003.jpg

kingdom_hearts_2_27.jpg

kingdom-hearts-re-chain-of-memories-20081105044146273_640w.jpg

i didn't include nippon ichi garbage for obvious reasons

off the top of my head, the in-engine "cg" looks less impressive than a lot of the cg in those games, and i don't particularly like a lot of the designs, but on a technical level it strikes me that xenoblade is on par with whatever you'd pick as the top of this list.

zoukka

Out of those images FFX actually is the best looking (imagine the jaggies away :b).

It also has phenomenal animation. Xenoblade isn't even close.

I'm ashamed of how few of those games I've played.

I was also about to kinda freak that I missed a PS2 RPG that plays like BK... but then I realized it must be BKO. I'm loving BK1 so far (aside from voice acting -_-).

EatChildren said:
I cant load the trailer due to being on dialup at my folks but mercy I hope these comments about the dull colouring is subjective to whatever scenes were shot for the trailer.

I want big open green grasslands, as it looked. Not murky brown/grey shit storms.

Well, the trailer showed off a grey grass at night. That said, I do remember the Famitsu scans being very colorful. I'll chalk it up to showing off a bad scene. The biggest problem is the lighting and the low resolution textures. The trailer opens up with a close up of the gods and the low texture quality can be seen even in such a small video.

ivysaur12

Banned
TunaLover said:
It actually is the best looking of the bunch :lol

Yup :lol

Even though it doesn't look that great, I still can't help but get excited if just for the pedigree of the developer which hands down created my two of my favorite jrpgs last gen - BKO and XS3 (I hate that artist of this game though). Also, did I mention that you live on the corpse of a dead mecha god?

Top Bottom