• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade (Wii, Monolithsoft x Nintendo) Information Thread

Instro

I like the environments and their size as well draw distances. The characters are pretty ugly though. Maybe they will bump up the graphics a bit for the NA release.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ILikeFeet said:
wow, Monolith really needs to work on their textures. :/ eh, I'll still play it if the gameplay is good, but I know this game won't get high marks for graphics.
It would be really difficult to have both very large environments and high resolution textures with only 88 megabytes of RAM.

Perhaps they could do some form of sparse virtual texturing to load in somewhat better textures when you're closer, but I imagine drawing every texture at the fidelity needed to pull this off well and make it blend would cost far more than they could really expect the game to make. They could probably go with less high resolution textures if they just swapped them out, but that basically means drawing all the textures in the game multiple times, which might be even more expensive.

The best option in this situation would be to take an art direction where relatively sparse or solid color textures look good, but it's far too late to do that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Instro said:
I like the environments and their size as well draw distances. The characters are pretty ugly though. Maybe they will bump up the graphics a bit for the NA release.

They probably wont ;-)

But yeah the enviroments does look nice.

bdouble

ehh I think it looks fine. The world and combat/gameplay will probably be the most interesting parts of this game. Least so far. Don't know much about the story and characters.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
At least this looks like an actual INTERESTING jrpg, which I haven't seen this gen since Lost Odyssey (which I ended up not liking too much).

Man this gen has sucked for Jrpgs.....

ILikeFeet

Banned
as long as the camera doesn't pull in too close, I think I can handle low res textures. but still, wtf? didn't Baten Kaitos look better than this? the gameplay better make up for this.

*sigh* Still no gameplay in this one either, and word of this using the classic controller is making me uninterested. The environments look nice, characters not so much.

ILikeFeet

Banned
JordanLMiller said:
*sigh* Still no gameplay in this one either, and word of this using the classic controller is making me uninterested. The environments look nice, characters not so much.

why? unless there is some nessary mini game that needs motion controls, what is wrong with the classic controller? this isn't Little King's Story.

bdouble

ILikeFeet said:
as long as the camera doesn't pull in too close, I think I can handle low res textures. but still, wtf? didn't Baten Kaitos look better than this? the gameplay better make up for this.
iirc BK had pre rendered backgrounds.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Any idea if Xenoblade has real-time fighting?

The way the animals were shown in the beginning of that trailer suggested real-time.

Please be real-time!

ILikeFeet said:
why? unless there is some nessary mini game that needs motion controls, what is wrong with the classic controller? this isn't Little King's Story.

Sorry, should've been more clear. It's just if time wasn't put into making the game look good, I would hope more effort was spent making the game unique in other ways, like in the battle system for instance... But if it ends up just being turn based or make selections in a menu type thing you can use the classic controller for, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

In other words, I just wish they'd show how this plays...

ILikeFeet

Banned
JordanLMiller said:
Sorry, should've been more clear. It's just if time wasn't put into making the game look good, I would hope more effort was spent making the game unique in other ways, like in the battle system for instance... But if it ends up just being turn based or make selections in a menu type thing you can use the classic controller for, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

In other words, I just wish they'd show how this plays...

there is a little bit of gameplay in the E3 trailer. it made it seem like FF12 (not a bad thing in my book)

bdouble said:
iirc BK had pre rendered backgrounds.

I meant the real-time stuff. the character models and textures
also, don't you post on the GameTrailers forums?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ILikeFeet said:
The scale of the world is much larger. The more memory you dedicate to level geometry and draw distance, the less you can dedicate to textures and character geometry.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Skiesofwonder said:
Any idea if Xenoblade has real-time fighting?

The way the animals were shown in the beginning of that trailer suggested real-time.

Please be real-time!
It's definitely a real-time system.

JordanLMiller said:
But if it ends up just being turn based or make selections in a menu type thing you can use the classic controller for, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.
It's not turn-based.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
duckroll said:
About 2:40 onwards it sounds completely Mitsuda and like nothing Kajiura has composed ever.

Yep, this sounds like mitsuda, but it wouldn't be unusual for it to be a co-written song.

Edit: I'm replying to a very old post, and couldn't find out who the real composer is...so correct me if I'm wrong.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Nirolak said:
The scale of the world is much larger. The more memory you dedicate to level geometry and draw distance, the less you can dedicate to textures and character geometry.

so for BK the charcters and enviroment textures are pretty damn good? with low character detail (polygons and textures) the world has too be pretty big with little loading. possibly bigger than FF12. DQ8 even (I know, that's being too hopeful :lol )

Linkhero1

I hope that guy washed the spoon after he dropped it. We don't want him to get sick or anything because of all the germs and bacteria on the floor.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ILikeFeet said:
so for BK the charcters and enviroment textures are pretty damn good? with low character detail (polygons and textures) the world has too be pretty big with little loading. possibly bigger than FF12. DQ8 even (I know, that's being too hopeful :lol )
Well the reveal article seems to imply this:

AndriaSang said:
Your movement through the world will be seamless. "We've put effort into this," said Takahashi, "because we felt that in order to show a living world, we needed an overwhelming sense of scale, like that of an MMORPG."
AndriaSang said:
While most of this first interview was about Xenoblade's world setting, Takahashi also shared a few details on the Xenoblade battle system. Enemies in Xenoblade roam the fields alongside you. Encounter an enemy, and the game will transition seamlessly into battle. Takahashi explained that he didn't want make the game transition from field to battle in typical RPG style.

Since battles take place on the same fields across which you and the enemies roam, you'll find that nearby enemies will join in on the battle. As a strategy, you'll want to engage in battle in areas where there aren't any other enemies.
Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/17/xenoblade_preview/

duckroll

So, judging from the official site's layout, there will be a total of 3 such trailers. I guess we can expect one more next week. After that maybe they'll open the rest of the site up and have more substantial information about the gameplay, story and characters.

TunaLover

ILikeFeet said:

BK, have a controlled camera view too, the characters are seen from a considerable distance for the most part.

Poyunch

ILikeFeet said:
there is a little bit of gameplay in the E3 trailer. it made it seem like FF12 (not a bad thing in my book)

also, don't you post on the GameTrailers forums?
I thought he left GT. I used to go to GT and see him on the forums. He doesn't know me though. :X

Bizzyb

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Scale looks great, some of the monsters looks great...

Textures look low res, character's look meh (especially the faces). Animation doesn't look too bad but there was really nothing to gauge on in the trailer.

Story also has me intrigued. Give me some gameplay and more plot details stat.

Those faces reminded me of shit I've seen in the N64 days....WTF!?!? I know Wii is not a powerhouse but damn, c'mon.

pulga

Banned
Well, those have got to be the ugliest textures I've seen for a big name Nintendo game in a while. That prancing deer thing at the start of the second trailer has HORRIBLE animation as well. Hoping gameplay, story and world make up for it.

Bebpo

Banned
The difference between the graphics in Xenoblade and Xenosaga have to reflect the difference between the budget given by Nintendo and the budget given by Namco.

:(

Solune

teh_pwn said:
Yep, this sounds like mitsuda, but it wouldn't be unusual for it to be a co-written song.

Edit: I'm replying to a very old post, and couldn't find out who the real composer is...so correct me if I'm wrong.

Yoko Shimomura has already been confirmed as the composer for Xenoblade.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
The difference between the graphics in Xenoblade and Xenosaga have to reflect the difference between the budget given by Nintendo and the budget given by Namco.

:(

I mean, that was one of the contributing factors to the Xenosaga series being cut in half :lol

And as long as the scale is huge, I'm fine with what we have. That horse animation was atrocious though.

batbeg

I don't like the looks of the characters, but the key aspect I give a shit about has been nailed. The camera is unlikely to be too close the characters during gameplay, and the environment looks wonderful, so I'm happy with what they worked on most.

ILikeFeet said:

No.

I don't really see the big deal about the characters, is it the same person who designed the characters in Xenosaga and Xenogears? Looks a bit similar from what I've seen of those games.

duckroll

Hero of Legend said:
I don't really see the big deal about the characters, is it the same person who designed the characters in Xenosaga and Xenogears? Looks a bit similar from what I've seen of those games.

Yes, we get it. You have no interest in any games unless they're on a Nintendo system. You don't care about Xenogears, you don't care about Xenosaga. The only reason you're even posting in this thread is because it's a Wii RPG and you're trying hard to be excited. I get it. And I don't give a fuck.

duckroll said:
Yes, we get it. You have no interest in any games unless they're on a Nintendo system. You don't care about Xenogears, you don't care about Xenosaga. The only reason you're even posting in this thread is because it's a Wii RPG and you're trying hard to be excited. I get it. And I don't give a fuck.

That was uncalled for.

1. I am actually interested in playing Xenosaga, and I'd gladly pick it up if I can find it near me and I probably can, but I have a large backlog of games (why yes, they're on Nintendo platforms), but at least I'm just labeling that game as garbage since it's not a Nintendo as you so claim.

2. I never even said anything negative, I just thought that I myself find the character designs to be alright (maybe I should've said that more specifically), and I was simply wondering if the same character designer is onboard, and then you jumped at my throat.

3. And I'm not "trying" to get excited, I am really excited.

Come on duckroll, you have this blind hatred of me for some reason, I never did anything to you, so why are we fighting?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Hero of Legend said:
"Quit it duckroll"[/paraphrase]
Don't sweat him. He's just being a troll again.

I for one am interested in this game because I like the concept and scope. The character design certainly isn't the worst I've ever seen, though to be fair, this excitement doesn't nearly match that I have for Last Story for the time being. I need to see a bit more in better quality.

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
I mean, that was one of the contributing factors to the Xenosaga series being cut in half :lol

And as long as the scale is huge, I'm fine with what we have. That horse animation was atrocious though.

The main contributing factor to Xenosaga ending up the way it did is still Takahashi's inability to do things on schedule with with a sensible grasp of balancing ambition with deadlines. The same thing happened with Xenogears too. I think it's unfortunate, but we'll see if he's learned much from those experiences.

Soma Bringer showed that he at least understands now how to tell a relatively self contained story with a smaller scope, and deliver it without going overboard. Xenoblade definitely looks much more ambitious, and is closer to his console RPGs, so it'll be interesting to see how he has changed his focus in terms of development and design. In particularly it'll be interesting to see how the scope of the concept as discussed in the interview and in the teasers directly translates into scale of production.

doomed1 said:
Don't sweat him. He's just being a troll again.

You don't want to start this with me again do you?

Sinople

Hero of Legend said:

No; it's the guy from Soma Bringer :(
My eyes might be deficient but it looks good to me. From an art direction point of view that is, which is what really matters IMHO. I'm relatively new here but were people always so concerned with technical
trivial :p
things such as textures, animations, etc, during previous generations?

Sinople said:
No; it's the guy from Soma Bringer :(
My eyes might be deficient but it looks good to me. From an art direction point of view that is, which is what really matters IMHO. I'm relatively new here but were people always so concerned with technical
trivial :p
things such as textures, animations, etc, during previous generations?

Oh is it's not Kunihiko TANAKA? Odd and sad they didn't want to keep the consistency. :(

Then again, this didn't become a "Xeno" game until much later, the game's regardless a thing of its own anyway.

Was Kunihiko TANAKA part of Monolith or was he always freelance? I read he did the characters in the Sand of Destruction TV series.

duckroll

The art direction is good, but I don't think it's so much that people are concerned with technical aspects as much as how games should be compared to their peers. They always have been, even in the NES and SNES days. There were always comparisons to how arcade counterparts back then tend to have better graphics and larger sprites, and there was definitely a technical interest both in gamers and in the press even back then.

I clearly remember reading previews for games like Beyond Oasis in EGM would mention how many frames of animation the main character had, and how fluid the animations for the attacks are as a result. When the PS1 era came around, games like Soul Reaver were extensively praised for the visual aspects and polygon count was used commonly as a buzz word for how detailed the character models were in comparison to other games.

Here we have a first party RPG from Nintendo, which sounds pretty ambitious in scope and scale, and by right should have had a pretty decent budget for development. This is not some random third party RPG from a third-rate developer and publisher with a team of amateurs or newbies at the helm. It's definitely valid to compare how it looks to games the developer has previously made, as well as that the standard for great looking RPGs are today.

Games are an entertainment medium which takes advantage of various forms of media: graphics, sound, interactivity, etc. Just as movies can be judged on their production values, acting performances from the cast, cinematography, etc, so can games. If it looks like it's not up to the standards we expect, it's only natural to voice it out.

Hero of Legend said:
Oh is it's not Kunihiko TANAKA? Odd and sad they didn't want to keep the consistency. :(

Then again, this didn't become a "Xeno" game until much later, the game's regardless a thing of its own anyway.

Was the Xeno series character designer part of Monolith or was he always freelance? I read he did the characters in the Sand of Destruction TV series.

OMG! Look, someone knows how to use google and ANN! Too bad the sources are inaccurate! Poor baby! Tanaka has had nothing to do with Xenosaga after Episode 1. There's no "consistency" anyway. He's a freelance illustrator and was never part of Square or Monolith. He didn't do the character designs for World Destruction either. Image Epoch lied about it. He was contracted to illustrate the cover of the game and he designed like, 2 minor sub-character NPCs. But after he did the illustration, they used his name to promote the game saying he's the "original character designer", and he was pretty upset about that. He posted on his blog that he clearly had no part in creating the characters or designing them from scratch. It's one big con job.

Looks good to me (aside from the horse animation :lol) The sense of scale is very good, no small boxy environments here!

The textures will probably look sharper when you actually play it, the low quality of the video doesn't exactly help!

Still no gameplay though :(

duckroll

Nuclear Muffin said:
Looks good to me (aside from the horse animation :lol) The sense of scale is very good, no small boxy environments here!

The textures will probably look sharper when you actually play it, the low quality of the video doesn't exactly help!

Still no gameplay though :(

Gameplay will hopefully be next week. The trailers seem to follow a theme. The first one opened the "world" section of the site. The second one should open "characters" this week, since that was the focus of the trailer. The third would that in theory cover battle and systems.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
OMG! Look, someone knows how to use google and ANN! Too bad the sources are inaccurate! Poor baby! Tanaka has had nothing to do with Xenosaga after Episode 1. There's no "consistency" anyway. He's a freelance illustrator and was never part of Square or Monolith. He didn't do the character designs for World Destruction either. Image Epoch lied about it. He was contracted to illustrate the cover of the game and he designed like, 2 minor sub-character NPCs. But after he did the illustration, they used his name to promote the game saying he's the "original character designer", and he was pretty upset about that. He posted on his blog that he clearly had no part in creating the characters or designing them from scratch. It's one big con job.
I wish Kazuya Niinou never ended up there, even though I'm still very interested in Last Ranker (plus Arc Rise Fantasia and 7th Dragon pending localization conditions).

duckroll

jj984jj said:
I wish Kazuya Niinou never ended up there, even though I'm still very interested in Last Ranker (plus Arc Rise Fantasia and 7th Dragon).

I don't think it's all bad. They're a relatively amateur developer in comparison with most of the big boys in JRPGs, but Mikage certainly has ambitions and has been growing his company at a steady pace. I'm pretty convinced Mikage is a relatively awful director, and should stay away from game design from now on, but he seems to be able to get bigger publishers to pay attention to his company now, which is a good thing.

We'll see where they are in 5 years or so, but right now, while I disapprove of how they handled World Destruction's marketing and promotion (promising improvements for the US version which never materialized was pretty awful too), it hasn't really affected their other games so far. WD was a mediocre game with high production values, so it's no real loss ultimately that the deceptive marketing left a bad taste in the mouth of the people following in, even if the marketing didn't do that, the game itself would have. :p

Yeah, I'd say the biggest issue when it comes to the graphics is the textures. When zoomed out, everything looks nice and clean. But once they focus on the characters and do close ups, it becomes a very blurry brown mess.

The game still looks interesting though.

Sinople

duckroll said:
The art direction is good, but I don't think it's so much that people are concerned with technical aspects as much as how games should be compared to their peers. They always have been, even in the NES and SNES days. There were always comparisons to how arcade counterparts back then tend to have better graphics and larger sprites, and there was definitely a technical interest both in gamers and in the press even back then.

You're right but I also remember the days when RPG were not judged for their graphics.
It was normal that a fighting or action game, for example, with a limited number of environments and characters looked better.
Nowadays, it seems every game has to be a technical achievement whatever its genre is as long as it's not a portable or budget-priced one.

I sure would prefer my games to be great looking but if the (hopefully not so low) budget has been used to create a huge world with things to do instead of putting everything in visuals like, say, FFXIII, it's all good in my book.
Now, I haven't compared but if it's actually a downgrade from Xenosaga III, then I admit it's concerning.

Top Bottom