• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X import videos/streams thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

From what I've understood (without watching any streams or anything after pre-release material)
is that the countdown is most likely keeping track of the energy left in the Lifes. If you remember the short story... (bolded is my emphasis). Also note that the DM engine, alien technology we somehow got our hands on, is the main (remote) power source for the entire city sphere, and the Dolls (in flight). Is it a Zohar? Well actually the Lifes are shaped like Zohar, as a reference.. but the DM engine is like the spirit of the Zohar (I also haven't played Gears or Saga, so my understanding of those is entirely from heresay).

That's what I believe the countdown is tracking.

Yah, that's what I was referring to. If it's true, I guess. I think there are fake spoilers floating around too.

But if it all turns out to be true, then it is glorious.

In most Xeno games, the Zohar is always something to do with god and special humans end up being "contacts" to the Zohar. So these concepts could be similar! Except the DM engine seems to be a thing and not a person. Who knows. This is why I want all the spoilers! Haha.

You should play Gears/Saga :)

moolamb

Not sure if this has been covered already but I translated this from Hamayama's stream for those who were interested in removing HUD elements.

dbcusj.jpg

I think almost everything except arts palette and party status on the top left can be cleared away. I'm actually quite keen to play without minimap seeing as we'll have a gamepad map anyway.

Zero²

Not sure if this has been covered already but I translated this from Hamayama's stream for those who were interested in removing HUD elements.

I think almost everything except arts palette and party status on the top left can be cleared away. I'm actually quite keen to play without minimap seeing as we'll have a gamepad map anyway.
Great, I think we already got that info but people always keep asking, so it's good to have it translated :)

Chaos17

So much options! :D

Finally, seriously who comes up this idea, ask you to collect a collactable that apparently have a drop rate lower than 5%, in order to earn your first doll.

Chaos17

Finally, seriously who comes up this idea, ask you to collect a collactable that apparently have a drop rate lower than 5%, in order to earn your first doll.

Nah, the truth it was located in only one perticular area, the guy just had to reload and looted them in less than 2 mins what he needed in Jhon Doe stream. He had more trouble to locate the the area, though.

moolamb

It's impossible. They've baked it into all of their marketing already, even the Iwata Asks page.

*Cries manly tears for lost Dolls*

congrats on your DOLL

glad you did not get the crappy american made Skell
Japan knows mechs all NLA knows this

Ooooh, that explains the Iwata Asks, lol. I wonder how people here reacted when that name was revealed...

To be honest, though, I think the change is for the better. I'm sure some people would be more willing to play with awesome Skells instead of dolls...

TDLink

Skell is fine. If it was named Skell in the Japanese version too no one would be complaining. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad. Doll is not a marketable term for the mechs in the West because of what Dolls are commonly seen as in the west. Understand this. We want the game to sell well.

And again, Skell isn't even a bad name anyways. It's just new and different. We'll get used to it pretty fast I'd imagine.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
What's the coolest weapon you've guyys seen on the streams so far? Of course I mean Doll weapons.

Chaos17

Skell is fine. If it was named Skell in the Japanese version too no one would be complaining. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad. Doll is not a marketable term for the mechs in the West because of what Dolls are commonly seen as in the west. Understand this. We want the game to sell well.

And again, Skell isn't even a bad name anyways. It's just new and different. We'll get used to it pretty fast I'd imagine.

Actually if you READ the translated short stories, you will understand why they named like that since in the end it has a philosophical meaning.
But you're right, most of the people won't read and threat us like perverts >.>

Actually if you READ the translated short stories, you will understand why they named like that since in the end it has a philosophical meaning.

That meaning isn't lost, when you consider that "Skells" is a portmanteau of "[exo]skeleton" and "shell." The Skells are robotic shells created to do the bidding of humans, given skeletal frames so they're able to be easily controlled by people.

The issue, of course, is that it's in no way plausible in Western culture that anyone would name their technology after dolls.

TDLink

I like Takahashi's stories overall and their deeper meanings. I haven't read the translated out-of-game short stories and I doubt many others will either. You aren't a pervert if you like the Doll name, but you have to understand NoA's (and NoE's?) perspective of changing the name for marketing. It won't matter that much in the long run, even if it was originally named for a specific reason.

Plus,

That meaning isn't lost, when you consider that "Skells" is a portmanteau of "[exo]skeleton" and "shell." The Skells are robotic shells created to do the bidding of humans, given skeletal frames so they're able to be easily controlled by people.

There you go. I am sure the localization team went over this kind of thing with the development team before changing anything to ensure as little meaning was lost as possible.

Its gotten to the point where I just look for streams, start them up and tab into something else. Not for spoilers, just because the music is so good~

Though people are getting kinda far into the game now so don't know how much I want to ruin it. Don't have a wii u nor did I play the first (just gears/saga) but I super want one now... If that release date is soon I might forgo a PS4 for this.

A PS4 will get revisions and get cheaper so thats a smart idea, plus wii u is older has more exclusives and has come into its own as a platform. Nintendo's trying not to lose any money so a price cut aint coming.

OH, anyone else find it hilarious how the

My first thought upon seeing the countdown timer at NLA was that it's a display showing how much power the city had left. Which made me think that one of the main objectives for the game would be to search for an alternative power source on Mira which a Zohar would fill the role of rather nicely with it being a source of unlimited energy.

Unrelated:
Also, has it been confirmed whether or not the player character is an android/synthetic human or not yet? I had speculated as much before the streams began and I was hoping to find out if I was right.

Zohars are the name of the pods where you find people in them, so "The Life"

A PS4 will get revisions and get cheaper so thats a smart idea, plus wii u is older has more exclusives and has come into its own as a platform. Nintendo's trying not to lose any money so a price cut aint coming.

OH, anyone else find it hilarious how the

James Cameron secret director of Xenoblade Chronicles X confirmed

Ooooh, that explains the Iwata Asks, lol. I wonder how people here reacted when that name was revealed...

To be honest, though, I think the change is for the better. I'm sure some people would be more willing to play with awesome Skells instead of dolls...

hate Skells because it is trying too hard to sound cool

a person fearing the use of the word DOLL has an insecurity issue, I would not care about Doll so much if it was not the developer's vision

Skell is just a marketing change to cater to insecurities which makes it lame to me not an improvement at all if they went with Mech it would have been a better change

I refuse :3

I had a strange reaction to the word Doll the first time we heard it used in Trailers
I did not like it, I got use to it as it was a fit to this story
Skell is just getting a worst reaction out of me

Gambit

Gotta say, I also dislike Skells. Doll just sounds better. If it's supposed to relate to Exoskeleton, I'd even prefer "Exos" or something. (Would also give extra meaning to Xenoblade Chronicles "EX")

Anyway, just seen the last few pages and spoiled myself a tiny little bit by accident. Am I right in assuming the whole damn game has been spoiled by now? Before official release?

I fear I have to abandon the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom