• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

Ooccoo

My god, I clicked the spoiler thread thinking it was the import thread and DO NOT DO IT unless you want a fucking big spoiler about the story. FUCK

Parshias7

My biggest worry about the game based on the streams I've watched is battle speed. It seems like fights take longer than regular fights did in the first Xenoblade. I even saw a stream of a guy with his party in the 50s fighting a level 26 or so quest enemy and the battle was taking a while. (in the sense that it wasn't over instantly like a fight of that scale would have been in Xenoblade)

Hopefully its just because people are new to the game and don't know the good art combos and set ups, but it would really suck if every single battle takes too long.

My biggest worry about the game based on the streams I've watched is battle speed. It seems like fights take longer than regular fights did in the first Xenoblade. I even saw a stream of a guy with his party in the 50s fighting a level 26 or so quest enemy and the battle was taking a while. (in the sense that it wasn't over instantly like a fight of that scale would have been in Xenoblade)

Hopefully its just because people are new to the game and don't know the good art combos and set ups, but it would really suck if every single battle takes too long.

I have noticed this as well in streams I've watched, and I'm just assuming people aren't using the best arts or doing combos.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Super low level monsters won't attack you anyway and if you're using powerful TP skills or dolls, low level battles end pretty fast.

Is it possible to switch characters in combat or is that still like the original where it's done in a menu outside of combat only? That always bugged me in the original game that I couldn't switch mid battle.

idalarian

My god, I clicked the spoiler thread thinking it was the import thread and DO NOT DO IT unless you want a fucking big spoiler about the story. FUCK

LOL I almost did that too. Man I feel sorry for you. Spoilers are the worst. But now I wonder what it is. I sure hope it's a good one!

Kyoufu

Is it possible to switch characters in combat or is that still like the original where it's done in a menu outside of combat only? That always bugged me in the original game that I couldn't switch mid battle.

I don't think you can take control of other characters at all. At least, I don't know how to.

Before starting Chp 5, I did a quest that resulted in a new (unexpected) party member (
Fog Christof)
. I thought that this quest was quite fun and, against my better judgement, found myself quite endeared to the new character. Also was able to have a bit of fun picking the sarcastic responses.

I hadn't been paying much attention to BLADE quest board, but now I will. Don't want to miss out on stuff like that, because I assume there's more than one of those sort of quests.

No, you can only change your party outside of battle, with a few exceptions (you can't remove the player-created character ever (so far, anyway), certain characters can't be dismissed during story/affinity quests, etc).

I don't think you can take control of other characters at all. At least, I don't know how to.

You can definitely control the other characters. I've seen people in Streams using them and even before that, in the various Directs, they were using them as well.

No, you can only change your party outside of battle, with a few exceptions (you can't remove the player character ever (so far, anyway), certain characters can't be dismissed during story/affinity quests, etc).

That's what I figured, thanks.

rhandino

Banned
Oh, does anyone here has bought the DLC? Are the Skells in there new models or just some of the current ones but with better stats O_O

Found some pics on Twitter. These Dolls mang

CEL0C4NUMAAgBoE.png:orig

CELH8GaUkAQJ2ay.jpg:orig

CELAtaOVAAE54ns.jpg:orig

CEK7pEhUIAMn3Z5.jpg:orig

CEJJSMaVIAAsGzl.png:orig

CEK4vUiWAAAq-GE.jpg:orig

CEK21-qVIAAu7Bh.png:orig

CEKq_DJVIAAemPd.png:orig
All of this are amazing...

I like the Light - Medium Skells more than the Heavy ones though, but that's just me =P

This is what you get for going to that mine field...
44bRYJU.gif

So sorry tbh T_T

kubus

Ok I got my Doll

so... where is it? XD I was cruising through NLA in it, then fast traveled outside and poof, it was gone.

Seriously I can't find it, haha. I assumed it would be in the garage in BLADE Home but nope.

Edit: Nvm, it suddenly appeared in the garage. What the hell!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Mpve the character you want to control to the top of the party list.
Oh, does anyone here has bought the DLC? Are the Skells in there new models or just some of the current ones but with better stats O_O
The DLC comes out on Friday.

aravuus

Found some pics on Twitter. These Dolls mang

The HUD feels weird. Left side is completely empty while the right side is a bit too busy to my liking. What are the small icons between the minimap and doll fuel gauge supposed to be?

I do have to say though, the shots look fucking amazing. The scale is pretty insane. I remember complaining about the.. I dunno, purplish? Environments, but these look great.

chadboban

The HUD feels weird. Left side is completely empty while the right side is a bit too busy to my liking. What are the small icons between the minimap and doll fuel gauge supposed to be?

Looks union related. From what I've heard you can remove most of the HUD and keep only what you need.

Vena

Before bed, my friend has upgraded her opinion from game of the year to her current game of the generation for the simple reason of being the most fun she's had in any release game she's played and she keeps playing after 100+ hours, lol.

Disclaimer: she's a huge RPG fan and nerd.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Screenshot from the 2nd area.
- Does anyone know how to unlock lv. 60 Doll frames? According to the wiki they should be unlocked after finishing the game, but I don't see any higher than lv. 50.
Answering my own question here - the level 60 Dolls and a big batch of super weapons (those taking up a few slots) unlock when you beat the game, but they are not for purchase - you have to make them in Company Store -> Create Equipment (or something like that).
They cost from 10k (regular ones) to 100k (special ones) Milanium to make and require a ton of Galaxy rarity materials (which cost 200+ tickets per pop at the Squad/Union counter). Oh joy.

After a whole day of running Normal Quests, I have to say that I really don't like how little XP they give for the amount running around you have to do. It really seems that grinding is the only viable option to level around 50 and up, which is a real bummer.

Screenshot from the 2nd area.

Answering my own question here - the level 60 Dolls and a big batch of super weapons (those taking up a few slots) unlock when you beat the game, but they are not for purchase - you have to make them in Company Store -> Create Equipment (or something like that).
They cost from 10k (regular ones) to 100k (special ones) Milanium to make and require a ton of Galaxy rarity materials (which cost 200+ tickets per pop at the Squad/Union counter). Oh joy.

After a whole day of running Normal Quests, I have to say that I really don't like how little XP they give for the amount running around you have to do. It really seems that grinding is the only viable option to level around 50 and up, which is a real bummer.

Interesting. I've always prefered "endgame" over "postgame" though. I like my final act to be clearing the story, even if that means I just fucked off and did a ton of side shit for 200 hours before it.

aravuus

Interesting. I've always prefered "endgame" over "postgame" though. I like my final act to be clearing the story, even if that means I just fucked off and did a ton of side shit for 200 hours before it.

Same here, which is why I don't really like major content unlocking after beating the final boss in games. After I do the final boss, I always have a hard time finding the motivation to do the optional bosses/side quests/whatever. The game's over for me, the world is saved etc.

Same here, which is why I don't really like major content unlocking after beating the final boss in games. After I do the final boss, I always have a hard time finding the motivation to do the optional bosses/side quests/whatever. The game's over for me, the world is saved etc.

Yup, I'm the same way. I prefer to do all the optional content before actually finishing the game. A lot of times, after I finish a game's story, I move on and just skip all the optional stuff.

Zero²

Well on this case Earth is still destroyed and you still is a survivor in a alien planet.
It's not like you are all safe and sound, and everything is sunshine just because you finished the main story :p

Yup, I'm the same way. I prefer to do all the optional content before actually finishing the game. A lot of times, after I finish a game's story, I move on and just skip all the optional stuff.

That being said, I do also realize how much it can kill the mood/tone of the end of the game to take a break from whatever catastrophic event is happening to go race birds and snowboard for days.

Bebpo

Banned
Did the original have a level cap? I didn't remember there being one before 99. Certainly does raise questions on if it was done to slowly raise the cap through expansions later on.

Did the original have a level cap? I didn't remember there being one before 99. Certainly does raise questions on if it was done to slowly raise the cap through expansions later on.

The first game was capped at 99 with the superbosses going up to 120. Most people beat the game around level 80.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm totally cool with the cap assuming that all the monsters (up to lvl.99) are beatable as is now before any "cap raise" in future dlc/expansions.

The battle system is really good in this. I mean it was really good in the original XB, but there's just an insane level of customization and complexity in X. Making the right custom setups to take on super challenging bonus bosses should be a ton of fun in the endgame.

Bebpo

Banned
I do wonder the effect it'll have on the game pacing though. I'm level 14 now in about 12 hours. I tend to 100% every rpg I play, and I remember in the original XB I didn't hit max levels until the very end of the game bonus stuff, even doing every sidequest along the way. I'm trying to do all the sidequests in X as I go along (as much as is possible on each continent before moving to the next) and wonder if I'll cap out 3/4ths through the game or something.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm totally cool with the cap assuming that all the monsters (up to lvl.99) are beatable as is now before any "cap raise" in future dlc/expansions.

The battle system is really good in this. I mean it was really good in the original XB, but there's just an insane level of customization and complexity in X. Making the right custom setups to take on super challenging bonus bosses should be a ton of fun in the endgame.

That's so nice to hear. I liked XC's battle system a lot, but it felt like it was a bit underdeveloped (not unlike BK1 versus BKO, though this is more of an evolution than a deconstruction).

Lumyst

Zero²;162810211 said:
Well on this case Earth is still destroyed and you still is a survivor in a alien planet.
It's not like you are all safe and sound, and everything is sunshine just because you finished the main story :p

Xenoblade Chronicles had that cozy "hero's journey" structure, where there's a journey with friends to meet and magical places to discover,
everybody triumphs over a villian and the future is bright afterward
. Like a cozy young-adult fantasy novel. That might even be why I started finding myself enjoying Japanese made RPGs a little more than Western made RPGs once I tried them.

Though it is structured like a Western made open-world RPG, this game definitely has that Japanese-made story and world aesthetic, with stuff to make players smile, a willingness to embrace goofiness and cuteness at times, so I'm very curious to find out whether this game will continue to have those colorful moments that build sympathy towards the characters and their experiences, the kind of human moments and fun that perhaps makers of RPGs in the West aren't able to express in their M-rated worlds.

Of course that raises the bar on the soundness of the gameplay, to ask of story-seeking players to actively seek out more of those things instead of having most of it be served during a "main experience." But going by the creators' words, the game has more story volume overall than the previous entry, so I'm surely going to allow that extra volume of story content to be sufficient reward to continue playing the game, rather than treating the game like a book that must be reread. That's their challenge to us and I'll have to see for myself if it can be a more fun way of experiencing a Japanese flavored story.

JoJoSono

Banned
All my fears have been realized with this game. Why did they go this route? This all sounds terrible.

I knew when they announced that it was going to have a silent protagonist that that was a bad sign. I don't. I don't want an offline MMO. Much less a passive online one. No, I want an actual story focused JRPG. The big environments, mmo combat, and shallow side quests of the original did'nt take away from that. This though? This sounds like it does. Now we have something that hardly has a main character. I hate silent protags when they really are just a player avatar. It always means there's going to be a lack of story. I knew that's what would happen here and well it sounds like it has.

I knew when we hardly saw party members that there was going to be some kind of Dragon's Dogma pawn system. Which I don't want. I wan actual party members who are characters.

I wanted the game to feel like a huge journey like the first one. Not a mission structured MMO.

I wanted them to actually have meaningful side quests. Not cheapen out and say "fuck it" to the flaw of the first one.

The game sounds very disappointing.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I didn't realize Xenoblade came out almost this time of year in 2010 in Japan. Those 5 years went by fast. Felt like it just came out a few years ago. Thought it was more like 3.

I hope the development period isn't so long for their next game. Especially if they build off this one.

Top Bottom