• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

It goes into a lot of detail and the guy still hadn't completed the game, but I'll quickly translate the final summary bit for you:

I can't lie. Actually, I don't need to lie. Xenoblade X is a serious RPG made especially for people who love serious RPGs. There's no mercy to be found for newcomers here. It's not a game in which you simply repeat the same old process of visiting a few shops, upgrading some gear and then heading off to the next destination in order to defeat whatever boss might be there. You need to go into this game with the idea that you're going to be a pioneer on an unexplored planet. There isn't a single element in this game that will make sense right away. It's a game in which you need to gain a deep understanding of each of its many components before moving on. If you try to skip over an important step and proceed anyway, it will come back to bite you later on.

This is the kind of game where you need to spend a lot of time carefully learning all of the systems and slowly mastering them. Before writing this, I played the game for about 30 hours. It feels like a long time, but I don't think I have mastered more than maybe 20% of the game systems. Maybe even less than that. Honestly, I felt like giving up on more than one occasion. There were times when I didn't feel like doing any of the pioneering stuff and just wanted to get on with the story. I didn't care about setting up another data probe. I just wanted to go to the next location.

That was the wrong way to approach the game. As you gradually realize the significance of being a member of BLADE, you'll naturally start to feel motivated to fight for humanity on this new and dangerous planet. Because of that, you will want to work on cultivating Mira in order to gather new resources. You will come to understand the importance of placing data probes. The goal isn't just to see the story, it's to protect humanity, and the importance of this mission will become clear to you as you play.

As long as you approach the game in this way, the motivation to master all of the systems, no matter how complicated, will come naturally. You start the game as a selfish child gamer who just wants to play through the story, but as the game progresses, you will grow into an adult gamer. Xenoblade X is an extremely complicated and difficult game, but it is absolutely worth taking the time to get over that first hurdle. It is certainly not a game aimed at newcomers to the genre, but I hope that even newcomers will give it a try and help create a new future for humanity on planet Mira.
This is really comforting to here.

The vision may not line up with what some people want/expect from a JRPG, but that's largely irrelevant. If it's as uncompromising and focused as this suggests, it's a great game, no qualifiers needed.

I found everything in the final fantasy 13 series of games to be overly complicated//confusing //boring

..I'm a bit worried about all the different systems/mechanics in this game being also confusing ..

What are you talking about specifically? I don't remember many systems at all in those games...

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and the colors:

So the segments on the map are colored according to your levels, just like the names of the enemies. The colors represent how hard the enemies, or enemies in the segment are at your current level. The order of the colors though is really weird figuring out what color is harder than what.

I think it's this:

Green - Around your level
Purple - Tougher, but maybe doable
Blue - Impossible for your level
Red - ???
Black - ???

Yeah I guess I don't really know the order. And then for loot it's:

Blue - normal
Green - better
Gold - rare good stuff

And those colors don't coordinate at all with the enemy colors? That's why it's confusing to me.

I might put this game on the back burner once Golden Week ends and The Witcher 3 is out. I don't even know how to collect my union salary lol. Fun game, but trying to learn all these systems feels like a second job. :/

Union salary is easy, just go to the big room in your Blade Home Base where there's a bunch of online people hanging around and it's one of the first options on the terminal. Gives you a list of items to pick from.

Also on the tablet it'll highlight the Union Salary icon if you haven't picked up your salary for the day.

Nanashrew

Banned
It goes into a lot of detail and the guy still hadn't completed the game, but I'll quickly translate the final summary bit for you:

I can't lie. Actually, I don't need to lie. Xenoblade X is a serious RPG made especially for people who love serious RPGs. There's no mercy to be found for newcomers here. It's not a game in which you simply repeat the same old process of visiting a few shops, upgrading some gear and then heading off to the next destination in order to defeat whatever boss might be there. You need to go into this game with the idea that you're going to be a pioneer on an unexplored planet. There isn't a single element in this game that will make sense right away. It's a game in which you need to gain a deep understanding of each of its many components before moving on. If you try to skip over an important step and proceed anyway, it will come back to bite you later on.

This is the kind of game where you need to spend a lot of time carefully learning all of the systems and slowly mastering them. Before writing this, I played the game for about 30 hours. It feels like a long time, but I don't think I have mastered more than maybe 20% of the game systems. Maybe even less than that. Honestly, I felt like giving up on more than one occasion. There were times when I didn't feel like doing any of the pioneering stuff and just wanted to get on with the story. I didn't care about setting up another data probe. I just wanted to go to the next location.

That was the wrong way to approach the game. As you gradually realize the significance of being a member of BLADE, you'll naturally start to feel motivated to fight for humanity on this new and dangerous planet. Because of that, you will want to work on cultivating Mira in order to gather new resources. You will come to understand the importance of placing data probes. The goal isn't just to see the story, it's to protect humanity, and the importance of this mission will become clear to you as you play.

As long as you approach the game in this way, the motivation to master all of the systems, no matter how complicated, will come naturally. You start the game as a selfish child gamer who just wants to play through the story, but as the game progresses, you will grow into an adult gamer. Xenoblade X is an extremely complicated and difficult game, but it is absolutely worth taking the time to get over that first hurdle. It is certainly not a game aimed at newcomers to the genre, but I hope that even newcomers will give it a try and help create a new future for humanity on planet Mira.

This is making me more excited.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
One thing (of many) that's confusing is sometimes you get a new weapon and it ups the "general physical attack" but lowers the "dps physical attack" stat which I guess is because it's stronger but slower so you're actually doing less damage.

But then since artes and their damages are tied to the general physical attack, you do more damage with the slower and lower DPS weapon. So I think ideally you do want to focus more on the general stat and not the DPS attack since your standard second by second non-arte attack isn't a big part of your damage attacking.

Does that seem right?

Seems right for the most part, but I think it depends on your strategy. I've seen modifiers that affect only auto-attack damage, so it might be that if you gear appropriately and use the right buffs/debuffs, going with a super high auto-attack speed weapon is a legitimate strategy. I really have no idea, though...

Bebpo

Banned
My puny brain cannot handle this game. :lol

If you love complex games then this will feel like Christmas and Birthday rolled into one.

I like Disgaea and N1 SRPGs, which probably explains why I enjoy all these systems. RoF/EoE was my favorite Tri-ace game since VP1 :p

I think for me it's because once you've mastered all the systems, it can get copy & paste redundant doing the same stuff over and over. But if you're doing it while figuring out how things work and trying to get the most efficiency then there's that extra factor keeping you interested while doing the redundant stuff.

Chaos17

All my fears have been realized with this game. Why did they go this route? This all sounds terrible.

I knew when they announced that it was going to have a silent protagonist that that was a bad sign. I don't. I don't want an offline MMO. Much less a passive online one. No, I want an actual story focused JRPG. The big environments, mmo combat, and shallow side quests of the original did'nt take away from that. This though? This sounds like it does. Now we have something that hardly has a main character. I hate silent protags when they really are just a player avatar. It always means there's going to be a lack of story. I knew that's what would happen here and well it sounds like it has.

I knew when we hardly saw party members that there was going to be some kind of Dragon's Dogma pawn system. Which I don't want. I wan actual party members who are characters.

I wanted the game to feel like a huge journey like the first one. Not a mission structured MMO.

I wanted them to actually have meaningful side quests. Not cheapen out and say "fuck it" to the flaw of the first one.

The game sounds very disappointing.

I've the feeling that you're looking in wrong way at XCX because you seems to expect more a Western RPG than a j-rpg. Better try your luck with Witcher 3 if you want a more RP type of rpg.

XCX is all about exploration and fighting with deep mechanics of gameplay unless you focus on the story and even when you focus on the story people spended like 60+ hours on it. So no, I really don't think the game missed what it wanted to convey. Also Kisuna quests DO provide a lot of side stories so the world is not builded around the main story but also around it's lore EVEN IN POST GAME.

If you don't understand what I'm talking aot then stop lurking here and go watch real gameplay AND you SHOULD be able to notice how every streamers DO NOT experience the same way the game BESIDE the main story and that TOTALLY what the DEVS WANTED (from the Iwata Ask).

Man I have not been this hyped for a game in so long.

This is, hands down, the biggest contender title and main event of this generation so far for me. Every other release is a puny, irrelevant, bore by comparison.

bigjig

Union salary is easy, just go to the big room in your Blade Home Base where there's a bunch of online people hanging around and it's one of the first options on the terminal. Gives you a list of items to pick from.

Also on the tablet it'll highlight the Union Salary icon if you haven't picked up your salary for the day.

Ah okay, I just kind of ignored that room thinking it was for multiplayer quests only

I don't think the game is complex to the point of being overwhelming, though. In fact, I find it refreshing to have so many options and they all sort of inform and interact with each other.

Last night, for instance, I started by doing simple quests (collect these, kill these), and through that ended up starting an Affinity Quest that took me on a bit of a tour of the third continent. While exploring, I set some data probes and stumbled on another Normal Quest. At the end of the affinity quest I ended up with a new recruitable party member, so I upgraded their gear and arts and played around with them a bit by going back and doing some simple quests again, which led me back to the HQ, where I did some custonization adjustment and company management with the extra Miranium I got from the new data probes I had set.

It's very easy to find yourself at the bottom of the proverbial rabbit hole this way.

I've the feeling that you're looking in wrong way at XCX because you seems to expect more a Western RPG than a j-rpg. Better try your luck with Witcher 3 if you want a more RP type of rpg.

XCX is all about exploration and fighting with deep mechanics of gameplay unless you focus on the story and even when you focus on the story people spended like 60+ hours on it. So no, I really don't think the game missed what it wanted to convey. Also Kisuna quests DO provide a lot of side stories so the world is not builded around the main story but also around it's lore EVEN IN POST GAME.

If you don't understand what I'm talking aot then stop lurking here and go watch real gameplay AND you SHOULD be able to notice how every streamers DO NOT experience the same way the game BESIDE the main story and that TOTALLY what the DEVS WANTED (from the Iwata Ask).

dude wtf is with the random caps lock

also Witcher 3 has auto-scaling on items, so it's automatically bad
Kappa
or am I serious?

UberTag

My puny brain cannot handle this game. :lol

If you love complex games then this will feel like Christmas and Birthday rolled into one.
What if I adore complex games... AND my birthday already falls on Christmas?
How much better will this be?

Chaos17

I really hope that people doesn't make the same mistake with XenobladeX like they did with Fantasylife : misturstanding the game.

Quick question about the silent main character; is your MC acknowledged by the plot and other characters and does she have an active role, or did they take the White Knight Chronicles route of your character kinda just hanging around in the background while the important people talked?

zlCfzTUs-zIq5lEG2u

Watch out, clouds, there's a CAAAAAAAAAAAW coming for you.

Quick question about the silent main character; is your MC acknowledged by the plot and other characters and does she have an active role, or did they take the White Knight Chronicles route of your character kinda just hanging around in the background while the important people talked?
Basically the latter, though your decisions will affect the ending of some normal quests.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Eh, while I agree that there are a lot of systems some of which aren't explained in in-game tutorials, but reading through the manual is enough to get most of them. It's not like "this button does this in the equipment menu" (installing devices) or "you can level artes and skills" are things requiring "mastering".

To people who compared this game to DA:I, I got fed up with sidequests and exploration around the 2nd/3rd zone and rushed to the ending, but here I already played for three times as many hours, cleared the game and still am having a blast.

Basically the latter, though your decisions will affect the ending of some normal quests.

I feel like if they were going to go for the player created character, they should have gone all the way with it. Like basically.. make it like Mass Effect where your Shepard is still central to the story and talks regardless of what sex they are or what they look like. Yeah, it would have taken more money, but the story probably would have been better for it. Having your character nod silently gets a little old in games. I swear my character in FFXIV has nodded SO many times it's crazy lol.

That's a shame. I hope they handle it better than WKC though, that game forgot your character existed by the half way point. Like seriously, I remember one scene where a bad guy was rushing towards a party member who was screaming, and my character was just standing two feet behind her, starring into the nothingness.

Mik2121

Maybe it's been commented already and I just missed it but, is there some way to change the controls? Jumping with ZR is the weirdest thing ever (this is my first Xeno game).
If not, I guess I'll get used to it. But if there's some way to change this, I'd like to do so!

Lumyst

This is really comforting to here.

The vision may not line up with what some people want/expect from a JRPG, but that's largely irrelevant. If it's as uncompromising and focused as this suggests, it's a great game, no qualifiers needed.

Yep, that all sounds excellent to me. Monolithsoft is clearly making a different proposition than Xenoblade Chronicles, so that is probably why there is skepticism from some people. I'm extremely curious to see if they've successfully retained the positive aspects of their type of role playing game while incorporating even more aspects of western made RPGs. I've seen that "Monolithsoft touch" in some of the few dozen minutes of streams that I watched, and seen how that charm manifests in an open world game, that quirky stuff that makes players smile :) Their proposition sounds like it's going to ask of me as a player to go ahead and treat it as a real role-playing game, to imagine that I am a member of BLADE and my role is to establish humanity on Mira, to watch over the safety and lives of the citizens of NLA, rather than, say, go along with some young-adult as he goes on his adventure :p

wanders

I really hope that people doesn't make the same mistake with XenobladeX like they did with Fantasylife : misturstanding the game.

Speaking of which, for those who played the game, does the game feel like a lite farming simulator? Making/uprading those hexes for BLADE income and probably other systems gave me that impression

ranmafan

Eh, while I agree that there are a lot of systems some of which aren't explained in in-game tutorials, but reading through the manual is enough to get most of them. It's not like "this button does this in the equipment menu" (installing devices) or "you can level artes and skills" are things requiring "mastering".

I gotta agree with this. Had the same thing happen to me a bit. Just opened up the manual and figured out things and was fine then on. I kinda like it that way, nice to have to go out and figure things out or look for them rather than be told everything at once.

But yeah there are a ton of things in the game to get to know. I got a little lost at times, and even forgot to do simple stuff like upgrading my skills and such. I guess Im just so captivated by all the exploration and such in the game that I basically ignored some of the things. Proved to be a big problem when I came up to some battles in story missions and quizzing quests.

Still fantastic so far, 30 hours in, can't put it down.

I loved Xenobladw Chronicles because it explained everything and didn't feel like an over complicated RPG. I'm starting to be scared by this game, hope they add some explanations for a western release.

rhandino

Banned
I loved Xenobladw Chronicles because it explained everything and didn't feel like an over complicated RPG. I'm starting to be scared by this game, hope they add some explanations for a western release.

Im not worried, Xenoblade also didn't go out of his way to teach you a lot of things tand instead lets you figure it using trial/error or going to read the optional tutorials.

I bet that there are people that only used Shulk, Reyn and Sharla because they dont know that Agility > Healing, that you can trivialize the game with Rikki or that you can raise affinity giving you party members gifts...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finally reached level 50 got my level 50 Doll! It cost me around 4 mil G with all the weapons.
Now to save for 2 (or even 3) more and I'll be able to take on tougher enemies.

Tip for getting money - sell your rare resources collected from probes. I got 500k just by getting everything down to 20, had quite a few of them maxed at 99.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It's really unfair we have to wait for this game. LIKE REALLY UNFAIR!! For even more punishment, Nintendo decides to release Splatoon the weekend before I start my new job. Evil.

Schlomo

If you have two usbs, you can copy the entire file to one usb, delete only the game data from the internal and copy the save data to another. You have to redownload the game, or copy it from the other usb. I did that for Mario Kart when my USB started having errors and I needed to format it.

Are you sure? I tried deleting the install data from my USB stick and copying the save file to internal memory, but that automatically removes the save from the USB stick. So, no back ups.

I found out however that you can install one of the data packs on USB and then move it to internal memory without re-installing. That way it fits even though there wasn't enough free space to install it directly.

zoobzone

Just finished my play through, clocked around 120 hours with close to 20 hours afk. Overall I enjoyed this game very much, I would say it is one of the top contenders for GOTY along with Bloodborne.

I'd like to share my spoiler free impression of my play-through in some details:

What I liked:
Gigantic and beautiful world, there is literally too much stuff to do, enough that I spent 80 hours before I reached half way of the game. The game takes a huge shift in game progression and story telling, but I equally enjoyed this game.

The world design is magnificent, I would say this is the best open world game out there, much better than GTA, being able to visit everywhere you can see is huge, climbing up that high point and seeing the whole landscape really gave me the feeling of adventure and accomplishment.

Class and character customization, being able to reach the max rank of a class allows you to switch to another class and keep the skill/weapon loadout allows some pretty unique character customization and combat style. I initially started out as Long-Lancer and I used to snipe enemy parts to do massive damage and change battle outcomes, then I switched to Galaxy Knight while keeping my sniper rifle which allowed me to use heal and force saber to do good melee damage and still keep my ability to use sniper skills.

Huge customization in Dolls and equipment with the Arms Company. Everything is socketable in this game, and you can create devices in the Arms Company to further customize your play style.

The customization options for Dolls is amazing, for my first Doll I literally recreated Gespenst MK-II Kai. The Dolls themselves are like another character, you can choose what to equip for every slot, maybe I'm not familiar with the system but it seems choosing a Heavy Doll is always better compared to Light.

Segment Map and Gamepad integration, I feel this game really made sense with using a companion devices along with your controller, looking down onto the Gamepad to access map information and quick travel felt like looking at your personal device as if you were the in game character.

The characters are well developed, you get to know the characters better when you start doing their kizuna quests, and learn their past trouble and eventually help them overcome those troubles. Lao is one of my favorite characters in this game and I hope you guys get to experience his story soon.

What I disliked:
Combat mechanic and the weak lock-on system, I got quite frustrated near the end game where everything is huge and the lock-on ability doesn't lock on to the parts of the enemies and just the enemies them self.

Silent MC in dialogues, its not as bad as White Knight Chronicles where your character is just a tag along, but I hoped they would make it more like Bioware games where your character actually spoke in story instead of just choosing options.

Bad party AI, when combat starts, it seems everyone just goes on to do whatever they want, and you have to manually tell them to focus fire every time, there wasn't alot of choices in the battle menu and the fights get quite messy when you're in tight areas where your party member would randomly pick up extra aggro.

Party selection is mostly locked for story missions, which leads to less time to develop kizuna with other characters.

Mandatory Gamepad usage, I don't think you can access quick travel or any other segment features without the gamepad, its a shame I had to put down the Wii U Pro controller and permanently have the Gamepad plugged into the power adapter.

Other things worth noting
Reused models of armors and weapons every tier, this doesn't become a problem later on when you can transmog the appearance of your gear into other gear, but there were some armor pieces that I avoided because I didn't like the appearance of them even though they gave better upgrade.

Dolls were awesome when I got them, but fuel costs and long cooldowns wasn't something I really enjoyed, I personally prefer human sized combat more.

I missed most kizuna talk because it seems I didn't spend enough time roaming across NLA in the right time of the day, but I did like doing kizuna quests which has high production quality and rewards you with unique skills from the character's kizuna quest.

I realize I may have spent too much time on the negatives, but this is mostly because I remember these more than the positives, and I assure you the game is excellent in developing the characters and story while at the same time letting you explore and enjoy the battle mechanics (Bioware can learn alot from this game I believe)

First thoughts after playing 40 minutes last night:

1. I know it's a small thing but not being able to view everything on the Gamepad annoys me. You have to load a save to be able to switch to Gamepad, the title screen doesn't support the switching. Urgh.
2. The game lacks a pause button but the Home menu will pause the game and the in-game clock. So this is perfect for bed gaming.
3. Game is gorgeous - very beautiful. Even the character creator and faces aren't as bad as I feared.
4. As others have reported, the in-game text is too small for the gamepad. Very hard to read.
5. I wish like Xenoblade 3DS it had the option to pause after every line of dialogue rather than just marching on. I'm a slow Japanese reader.

zlCfzTUqD30Qh6dtHl

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Xenoblade was very dear to me (I've spent an upwards to 300 hours perhaps on that game) and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk this game made want to buy a WiiU but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk in here it's kind of expensive commitment to make for just one game fuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkk T______T

ozfunghi

Xenoblade was very dear to me (I've spent an upwards to 300 hours perhaps on that game) and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk this game made want to buy a WiiU but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk in here it's kind of expensive commitment to make for just one game fuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkk T______T

Why would you buy only one game for a system stacked with excelence?

kubus

First thoughts after playing 40 minutes last night:

1. I know it's a small thing but not being able to view everything on the Gamepad annoys me. You have to load a save to be able to switch to Gamepad, the title screen doesn't support the switching. Urgh.

Hm?
You can switch to GamePad on the title screen. Touch the screen and hold for a few seconds :).

I've only put in about ten hours thus far, so I won't write such lengthy impressions, but I definitely wanted to echo what's been said about the game world. Whereas in Xenoblade, I genuinely got the impression that I was travelling up a giant god, MonolithSoft really nailed the feeling of being a colonist/explorer on a large alien world. To me, it makes the questing nature of the game more engaging, because it really feels like you're in this hostile uncertain situation together with the rest of your colony and you're working survive. MonolithSoft are truly masters at worldbuilding, and it shows a ton with this game.

Bad party AI, when combat starts, it seems everyone just goes on to do whatever they want, and you have to manually tell them to focus fire every time, there wasn't alot of choices in the battle menu and the fights get quite messy when you're in tight areas where your party member would randomly pick up extra aggro.

My biggest complaint about Xenoblade... :(

So would you say this game is as good as Xenoblade? Worse? Better?

Kyoufu

More complex than Monster Hunter?

I don't want to compare the two because they're totally different games which set out to do totally different things, but if an answer must be given then I'll just say that I don't find XX to be anywhere near as deep in its gameplay mechanics as MH. It's just that XX is stacked with a billion systems which feels like they've done too much IMO.

aravuus

Yup, same for me lol. I rarely have more than 200-ish euros to spend every month after rent and bills and whatever, buying a 300 euro console for one game sounds insane to say the least lol.

One of my classmates has the console though, gonna try and persuade him to borrow it for me for a couple of weeks. I really fucking want to play the game lol

Why would you buy only one game for a system stacked with excelence?

Well, the really good exclusive games are pretty much either Nintendo games or Bayonetta 2/W101, and I'm not really into any of them at all. I suppose a Mario Kart or Smash Bros would be fun with friends, but I rarely have many over since a) I have a tiny ass aparment and b) it's spring/summer, so if I'm with friends, we usually spend our time out somewhere.

If I got a WiiU right now, it would quite literally be for just a single game.

Chaos17

Thank you for translating this review, it was a nice read.

auiwsKq.gif

kubus

Zero²;162895864 said:
Going by a screenshot of an early Overed that shows how many people tried to kill it, I'd say 70-80k for the first week.
Just checked and that number has risen a bit again, it's at 73885 now. So ~80k seems about right.

Top Bottom