• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XenobladeX |Import OT| Discovery of Superb View: http://youtu.be/HgIXNOEv_40

Random question, but does anyone happen to know any youtube-ish videos of the surprise encounter theme, when an enemy spots you? Or the alien/Growth battle theme? Can't seem to find them with simple search things, and I don't want to look too deeply for fear of spoilers...

Overside

Banned
Yeah, I understand that you felt like you were being condescended towards.

Welcome to every attempted discussion on Xenoblade on any damn xeno forum for the past 5 years. How people can claim to be fans of gears, and yet not even attempt, to use the tiniest iota of the required looking past the surface at gears to see whats really going on in the story, and do the same with blade, is infuriating. Clearly the only explanation is these people never did look beyond the surface of gears, they read a translation of perfect works, or one of the break downs of the games story thats come out in the decades since its release, and since something similar has not been done for blade (Its book was just art work and a side story) thats it for them, time to invade and shitpost in every damn blade thread.

[
That was the sound of my head exploding. I had mostly just interpreted (reminder, NOT Xenoblade X spoilers, just spoilers for the Wii game)
the monad as being Alvis, the origin as the second article mentions, and that ether could be seen as all originated from Alvis/Monado, which is why it can control, divide, and otherwise observe all in the new world. I hadn't yet looked into the Monad programming side of things. I have to admit that I'll have to take some time to fully process this, especially the part about "pythogorean mathematics/religion". Are you saying that Meyneth represents Pythagoreanism, and Zanza represents Gnosticism? And that just as Zanza is the demiurge and his world is a false creation, both interpretations of the world are incorrect, and rather the true makings of Blade's universe is through monads as expressed in monadic philosophy, but carried out through a literal "programming" of the universe in a reference to monad programming?
"The monado 3, which shulk used to slay Zanza, is the monad bind operator >>= repeated and layered." I just looked this up, and its a little beyond me, but would a simple way to say it be that ">>=" is equivalent to a programming command that shuts down the program no matter what? Wikipedia says: "The bind binary operator (>>=) chains the results of one computation that could fail, into a function that chooses another computation that could fail." so by "repeated and layered" do you mean that the final blow is really a universe re-program that basically puts everything into an infinite exit loop until nothing is left, allowing all matter/ether/monads to then be re-made into another universe? Like exiting a program, to free a computer's random access memory to be used for other purposes??? On another note, would you say that since Alvis is the monad, there is no truth to the commentary on the death of the author? Even if Klaus is not the "creator" in this case, but rather Alvis/Monado is, couldn't the analysis still work for the most part. Just also replace the "game systems" with the ether originating from Alvis/Monado and it'd still work, right? One last thing, I understand the explanation of the Monado being aware of and capable of controlling of everything originating from it (ether), and this is where the vision breaking system works as commentary through gameplay and story by representing the presentation of possible outcomes, but do you mind explaining this comic? Like, I get that it as a sequence of possible events, but, the guy cuts through them? Is the concept of cutting through these events common, or was this directly referencing Blade... *_* So confused, but that's what makes it interesting to discuss, right?
Maybe I'm going pretty off base from what you are saying, but I'm glad you shared this interpretation. It definitely opens up some interesting avenues of analysis I think, did you discover this mostly by yourself, or was it influenced by any outside sources? It will be interesting if Xenoblade X has similarly layered philosophy. I recall you making some posts analyzing the meaning of B.L.A.D.E, as a reference to surpassing our limits/restrictions imposed by creation/a creator. Interesting stuff, and I hope you'll be willing to share your thoughts once you play the game.

I actually studied sacred geometry for art, an old python buddy convinced me to take some haskel with him, and the professor was the reason I stayed until the end (he was really cool. Only once though, nobodies that charismatic.... I Salute anybody who sticks with it) and my general interests of world religions and most all things occult had me familiar with the monad being the basis of many religions and philosophies. So I was already ready to go back when the game was called monado beginning of the world.

On a completely unrelated and entirely cosmically coincidental note to X.... Somebody is creating a haskell web framework named.... Skell. I found it amusing considering the recent skellpocalypse on gaf.

Yes, Meyneyth represents the Pythagorean interpretation of the monad, and Zanza represents the gnostic interpretation of the monad. Neither one of them were really wrong or right, it wasnt something considered as if it were, say a math problem, it was a choice of free will, Alvis allowed them to create a reality through him as they willed. However, again, Alvis allowed them to create, his authority always superceded theirs. Zanza either forgot that, or in his arrogance never understood it in the first place. Which is probably why he stupidly thought he could recruit god into his 'trinity'.

I dont really think you need much of a comprehensive understanding of how monads in functional programming work, beyond the fact that they can chain and nest, and how we normally take for granted how being able to define the order operations are done in results in their 'natural'?... expected? -sequential order... it doesnt really mean much anymore.

Its like... well... Most languages have semi colons between subsequent statements joining them together while keeping them organized and seperate to control the flow. I'll provide a visual metaphor:

This is this; that is that; do this; do that; this here; that there

Monads are like programmable semi colons.... And thats just the tip of the ice berg of this truly monstrous ball of babbling insanity. And really all that I think anyone really needs to know to understand the extent of the reference being used in xenoblade, or for the safety of their mental health in general.

the Monado 3 being the monado bind operator '>>=' is totally literal and straightforward. Its the visual design of the sword. its made up of these shapes repeated and layered: >>=

The death of the author is just too negative for such a positive idealistic philosophy like the monadology, and how much importance it places on existing. In this case, the author would be Alvis, who is satisfied with a job well done at last, and not dead. Takahashi spent a lot of time talking about how he wanted to make a game where you have to spend a lot of time with the characters be more positive, because people tend to get irritated and feel like everything is whiny when you spend a lot of time with negative characters... Which is probably one of the reasons why he picked The Monadology in the first place.

The cartoon has nothing to do with blade, it was made soley to be a visualization tool for Haskell monads. But the relationship is immediately apparent. order of events dont mean beans, when you got the powah of the monad(o)!!!

I have gone on a complete story blackout on X. All I know is whats been shown in the story trailers. Of which ive gathered the importance of the logos, being the word of god, or gods design, and basically saying screw it.

I also suspect there may be something Jungian at play, particularly the collective unconcious.

It will probably be a long while before I really begin digesting this one. Hopefully not too long.

kubus

Give it some wings and then you can call it : GUNDAM!!
zlCfzTULawgs_y6-3V
That's the plan 8]
Woah, your color choices are gorgeous!
Samus much?
Thanks :D. I actually really love any gold and white combination, but yeah it does kinda look like Samus :D.

Ok time to jump back into the game. Anyone have specific pointers for getting a lot of money? I need to buy some more dolls :p.

alvis.exe

I actually didn't mind playing as Shulk until I realized he lacked new skills. And the AI is so damn awful that before I realized that leveled up skills = more usage from them, it was already too late. I suppose I could just rotate the ones I don't want out completely!

Spike damage isn't TOO common, but mechs are, and I'm hoping that's the last of that system unless there's a better way for the AI to outright handle the latter.

Thanks for explaining the crafting system. I'm going to research it more but I've mainly made some crappy gems that barely boost anything.

Oops, by marker, I meant landmark, as in a place I can teleport to. From what I hear about this game, the quests are more involved, so that'll definitely take off the edge.

Can't you just choose the Arts you do want and then level those up instead? It's not like AP is limited and you seem early in the game. Mechon fights are annoying yeah but you eventually get access to Anti-Mechon weapons that don't need Enchant. There are quite a few gem crafting guides online but feel free to ask in the OT for more clarification :) And I'm not sure why you're getting attacked by monsters 10 levels below you because I'm fairly sure that's the point where nothing other than Unique Monsters will target you at all. Actually, IIRC you just need to be 6 levels above enemies to casually run circles around them without worrying about getting attacked.

Speaking of which, is that the same in XCX? I loved that in the first game. So relieving to be able to go back to areas and just do what I needed to do without getting drawn into useless encounters all the time.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That's the plan 8]

Thanks :D. I actually really love any gold and white combination, but yeah it does kinda look like Samus :D.

Ok time to jump back into the game. Anyone have specific pointers for getting a lot of money? I need to buy some more dolls :p.
General tips:
- Don't turn off your game and you'll keep getting money.
- Sell rare resources from your Item List.
- Set research probes in points with B/C revenue and link 3+ of the same type for increased effect.

aravuus

Welcome to every attempted discussion on Xenoblade on any damn xeno forum for the past 5 years. How people can claim to be fans of gears, and yet not even attempt, to use the tiniest iota of the required looking past the surface at gears to see whats really going on in the story, and do the same with blade, is infuriating. Clearly the only explanation is these people never did look beyond the surface of gears, they read a translation of perfect works, or one of the break downs of the games story thats come out in the decades since its release, and since something similar has not been done for blade (Its book was just art work and a side story) thats it for them, time to invade and shitpost in every damn blade thread.

If it's such an insanely big deal for you, maybe educate people on where they're wrong instead of calling them cunts, idiots, whatever? You pretty much even admit that like 99.99...% of the players don't know/care about the stuff hidden past the surface in the first sentence, so maybe you should copy a bunch of stuff you know about Xenoblade in a .txt file and refer it to people who call Gears andor Saga deeper or more thought out or more sophisticated or whatever than XB. The discussion will never evolve to the point you want it to evolve if you keep acting like this.

Hell, if you responded to my initial post with something like "you're actually wrong about XB's depth and here's why: text", I would have checked out what you meant and either clarified that I didn't mean about the hidden depths or admit that I had been wrong (like the majority of people you claim to be invading and shitposting, I'd imagine - they're probably calling Blade less complex/deep/etc out of pure ignorance or on the surface level). Instead, you made the childish and uncalled for post you did.

Dude, I'm sorry if you've ACTUALLY had a ton of trolls go "Lol Blade is shallow as fuck compared to Gears/Saga!!!!" on you, that would be frustrating. I really am. It's annoying when people purposefully try to ruin the discussion. But that doesn't mean that the actual majority who say Blade is less deep/complicated/adjective are trolling, invading or shitposting. It also doesn't mean that you should react to the posts like mine the way you did just because you're frustrated. These people aren't out to get you, ruin your discussion or shitpost on purpose. If you either thought I was shitposting, or you didn't think your reaction was uncalled for and made me feel unwelcome and dropped my interest in a real, mature discussion to zero, you need to grow up.

Also, about the fans part: you're not the one who decides who are or aren't allowed to call themselves fans, because that's what you're saying sounds like to me. That is some elitistic bullshit. But as a reminder, I wouldn't call myself a Gears fan either. I just really like the game.

kubus

General tips:
- Don't turn off your game and you'll keep getting money.
- Sell rare resources from your Item List.
- Set research probes in points with B/C revenue and link 3+ of the same type for increased effect.
Thanks for this :D
Are the rare resources used for quests as well? Not sure if I can just sell everything or keep a few in case a quests requires them later.

Zolbrod

But you will miss out on a really great RPG :)

And arguably a better one.

Don't know what everyone's feelings on X are so far, but so far I'm not "feeling it" as much as the first game.

Not saying it's bad. It's not. It's great!
But it's SO cluttered with things to do that it becomes overwhelming sometimes, and not everything is as streamlined as it could/should be, and the first game just felt more focused to me, which I really liked.

Also, way better cast.

Can't you just choose the Arts you do want and then level those up instead? It's not like AP is limited and you seem early in the game. Mechon fights are annoying yeah but you eventually get access to Anti-Mechon weapons that don't need Enchant. There are quite a few gem crafting guides online but feel free to ask in the OT for more clarification :) And I'm not sure why you're getting attacked by monsters 10 levels below you because I'm fairly sure that's the point where nothing other than Unique Monsters will target you at all. Actually, IIRC you just need to be 6 levels above enemies to casually run circles around them without worrying about getting attacked.

Speaking of which, is that the same in XCX? I loved that in the first game. So relieving to be able to go back to areas and just do what I needed to do without getting drawn into useless encounters all the time.

Yeah, at this point it's about setting the right ones instead of dumping my points everywhere per class. Dunban still feels relativity useless though.

That's good to hear on the Mechon front. Are there any more gimmicky fights?

And I get attacked by anything with those eye markers if I so much as pass by them. It might be that I'm not actually ten levels above! I'll check later today.

X seems to have a lot of ways of speeding things up, so it might be more for me, but I won't give up on the first one!

kubus

And arguably a better one.

Don't know what everyone's feelings on X are so far, but so far I'm not "feeling it" as much as the first game.

Not saying it's bad. It's not. It's great!
But it's SO cluttered with things to do that it becomes overwhelming sometimes, and not everything is as streamlined as it could/should be, and the first game just felt more focused to me, which I really liked.

Also, way better cast.
I have mixed feelings about this game, but I'll reserve judgment for when I finished the story, at least. At first I didn't really like the cast either because Lyn and Tetsu annoyed the hell out of me with their dumb anime shit, and Elma was the only cool team member. Still not digging the silent main character thing either. But I've learned that Kizuna Quests are an absolute must if you want to really start appreciate the characters, story and lore. I love what they did with those quests and the production values are top notch. I think I like them better than the story quests so far :p Though I must say the last few story chapters have been really great too so maybe things still need to pick up in that department.

The system stuff is quite overwhelming and I haven't really begun to find out what everything does yet. I'll take it slow and deal with one thing at a time, I guess. But I think it'll be much easier and better to grasp if I had played this game in English, as my Japanese isn't quite there yet.

I almost don't want to compare the two games (Xenoblade and X) because they're so different and it's clear that X is trying to be a completely different game altogether. I like both equally I think, but for different reasons.

Anyway, here's a screenshot for you all.

chadboban

I have mixed feelings about this game, but I'll reserve judgment for when I finished the story, at least. At first I didn't really like the cast either because Lyn and Tetsu annoyed the hell out of me with their dumb anime shit, and Elma was the only cool team member. Still not digging the silent main character thing either. But I've learned that Kizuna Quests are an absolute must if you want to really start appreciate the characters, story and lore. I love what they did with those quests and the production values are top notch. I think I like them better than the story quests so far :p Though I must say the last few story chapters have been really great too so maybe things still need to pick up in that department.

The system stuff is quite overwhelming and I haven't really begun to find out what everything does yet. I'll take it slow and deal with one thing at a time, I guess. But I think it'll be much easier and better to grasp if I had played this game in English, as my Japanese isn't quite there yet.

I almost don't want to compare the two games (Xenoblade and X) because they're so different and it's clear that X is trying to be a completely different game altogether. I like both equally I think, but for different reasons.

Anyway, here's a screenshot for you all.

Thanks for the impressions and the great screenshot. Once again, I'm loving the colors of your Dolls :)

Miiverse pics

zlCfzTU-fGE9aErORs

So the level cap is 60, but there are 90 monsters? Hmm, I know Xenoblade had lvl120 monsters and the cap was 99, but is it possible to beat the ones in X at that lower level cap?

Yeah, at this point it's about setting the right ones instead of dumping my points everywhere per class. Dunban still feels relativity useless though.

That's good to hear on the Mechon front. Are there any more gimmicky fights?

And I get attacked by anything with those eye markers if I so much as pass by them. It might be that I'm not actually ten levels above! I'll check later today.

X seems to have a lot of ways of speeding things up, so it might be more for me, but I won't give up on the first one!

Dunban is far from useless - he's the best tank in the game if you load him up with Agility gems. He'll avoid almost every attack (except Ether ones). Plus, he's just a cool character. :p

What do you qualify as a gimmicky fight exactly? I wouldn't really call fights that require the use of the Enchant Monado ability to be "gimmicky" personally.

If you're above like 6 or 7 levels, most of those eye enemies shouldn't attack you unless they are a unique monster (not even sure if those will if you're higher level, can't remember).

Lumyst

I heard somewhere that the ending was disappointing, is this true? No spoils please.

I have seen the ending (I have a good tolerance for story spoilers, it's location spoilers and "how to beat the boss/enemy" spoilers that I hate :p). What I suspect, is that it's quick and easy to watch a video, it takes 70+ hours of acclimation to the proposition that the game makes to the player before actually getting to that point in the game. So, from what I've seen, this game should be approached as a new proposition compared to the previous entry in the series, that's how I'm preparing to approach it myself at least. Heh, come tthink of it, not only did Monoltihsoft upend their own tea-table, but they made significant changes to the proposition they make even under the same series, sounds like a Nintendo product.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Today I bought a new level 50 Doll (still need 2 more...) and reached the maximum level:
Grinding for the rest of the Dolls will be a pain, I hope that the DLC coming out tomorrow will ease it a bit. Or that the 3 DLC Dolls that are added in it are level 50/60.

kubus

Can I make my own avatar my waifu or is that weird

Elma and Lyn are cool too. I hated Lyn at first but I like her now. They did a good job building her character, imo.

Also this screenshot might be slightly spoilerish (from a story cutscene)

Playtime is over for today :(. Gotta grind a bit before I can take on this story quest, after that I'm going to do the flight pack quest *v*. Can't wait to soar above Mira soon (and get those pesky last Data Probe points)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Do characters not in your party level up in tandem with the characters in your party? Like say you bench Lyn, when you bring her back will she be all crazy low level? Same with any of the other party members you can recruit, and that aren't permanent fixtures?

I have seen the ending (I have a good tolerance for story spoilers, it's location spoilers and "how to beat the boss/enemy" spoilers that I hate :p). What I suspect, is that it's quick and easy to watch a video, it takes 70+ hours of acclimation to the proposition that the game makes to the player before actually getting to that point in the game. So, from what I've seen, this game should be approached as a new proposition compared to the previous entry in the series, that's how I'm preparing to approach it myself at least. Heh, come tthink of it, not only did Monoltihsoft upend their own tea-table, but they made significant changes to the proposition they make even under the same series, sounds like a Nintendo product.

I'm trying to tell if you liked the ending or not, but I can't tell, lol. Seems like a post that reads, "lower your expectations". :p

Some people had issues with Xenoblade's ending, but I loved it - pretty long ending and satisfying.

Do characters not in your party level up in tandem with the characters in your party? Like say you bench Lyn, when you bring her back will she be all crazy low level? Same with any of the other party members you can recruit, and that aren't permanent fixtures?

Pretty sure characters only level up if they are active in your party unfortunately. :( I don't know why they would take a step back because they all leveled up together in Xenoblade. I hate when games don't let all characters level up even if they aren't in your party - it's annoying because what usually happens if I keep 4 in my party and the rest are like level 20 at most at the end of the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Playtime is over for today :(. Gotta grind a bit before I can take on this story quest, after that I'm going to do the flight pack quest *v*. Can't wait to soar above Mira soon (and get those pesky last Data Probe points)
Sadly each continent has one/few probes which require Mechanical 5 to activate, so I still have some left...
I don't think that characters not in your party level at all or maybe the gain is so small that I haven't noticed it. But when you have 3 Dolls in a party, it's not hard to quickly level up one useless member and as soon as that person reaches 30 put him/her in a Doll too.

Overside

Banned
Will I be missing out on much if I don't play the original Xenoblade?

This game just looks better in every way, including plot-wise.

Im on a complete blackout for x.

But i will say blade left an incredibly high bar to surpass for xeno style plot. And it wasnt even a xeno game.

That being said, you wont need to understand the story/plot of the first game to get this one, as they based on completely different philosophoes and source materials.

kubus

Sadly each continent has one/few probes which require Mechanical 5 to activate, so I still have some left...
Ahh then I won't get my hopes up, those probes I'm still missing probably lvl 5 then as well :p.
How do you level up Mechanical anyway?
Each time you gain a Blade Level, talk to the girl in front of the quest board. She will upgrade your BLADE Home and you can level up one of your field skills (Mechanical/Biological/Search)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How do you level up Mechanical anyway?
You can get 1 level of a Field Skill after each Blade level up (the amount of exp you get for certain things like planting probes or killing monsters depends on your Union) after talking to an NPC. The maximum level that the NPC can give you is 4 though, but I haven't maxed all yet, so maybe she'll have a quest for level 5 or something.

chadboban

Oh cool, check this out. This guy on Miiverse decided to keep himself and his doll in a single position and take pics as the day changed.

zlCfzTVFQEQxiyJy7o

zlCfzTVFFDUGFkm2e1

zlCfzTVFGi4DfVzT_Y

zlCfzTVFIlYjVZfubm

zlCfzTVFKFoC1UG2ha

zlCfzTVFLgkZ5W081V

zlCfzTVFNBgCwPy6aB

zlCfzTVFOeQYl3usH4

I'm guessing there's some conditions he missed out on due to it being a rainy day. Still neat nonetheless. Open them each in new tabs and switch between to get a better feel of the changes.

Lumyst

I'm trying to tell if you liked the ending or not, but I can't tell, lol. Seems like a post that reads, "lower your expectations". :p

Some people had issues with Xenoblade's ending, but I loved it - pretty long ending and satisfying.

I find it easier to enjoy fantasy themed stuff, and Xenoblade Chronicles felt like a hero's journey in a fantasy world, whereas this game is Sci-Fi as hell :p People love to have a hero triumph over some sort of evil after growing on a journey, but of course that's not the only proper form a story should take, right? The tone of both games is so different that I'd have to acclimate to the tone of Xenoblade X before I could make an opinion on how the ending feels. I see the familiar gameplay mechanics of Xenoblade Chronicles have evolved in X, but the world and story in X will feel very different. (Until Overside does an analysis and goes "They're actually pretty much the same, you see, there's...")

Why can't the other character sbe this good looking?

zlCfzTU6b7o0CTmhiV

Thanks! I spent ages in the character customiser trying to get him to look right! (It's not as flexible as I'd like tbh)

-

Anyone know if you can have multiple characters?

I noticed that picking Continue on the Main Menu just assumes that I want my last save?

As anyone found something timed in this game yet?
It seems that so far you can do anything at any time and don't need to fret about getting too far and lose content.
Even simple quests I think we just get a larger pool they draw some from, so you'll be able to get earlier quests with some luck.
Unless the story makes it so that everything just times out at some point >_< But I don't think that's the case.

If someone found a timed event/quest/anything, please tell in a spoiler or PM (but don't spoil the story though).

evanmisha

As anyone found something timed in this game yet?
It seems that so far you can do anything at any time and don't need to fret about getting too far and lose content.
Even simple quests I think we just get a larger pool they draw some from, so you'll be able to get earlier quests with some luck.
Unless the story makes it so that everything just times out at some point >_< But I don't think that's the case.

If someone found a timed event/quest/anything, please tell in a spoiler or PM (but don't spoil the story though).

I had accidentally read a BIG spoiler that to me seemed to indicate at least some things would be missable. I would be very pleased to hear that this is not the case.

Verger

Banned
Funny. Most of the Soundtrack OST uploades to Youtube have been taken down due to a DMCA request from SONY of all people (I guess Sony records publishes the soundtracks of Hiroyuki Sawano).

Oh well.

Renewed

Funny. Most of the Soundtrack OST uploades to Youtube have been taken down due to a DMCA request from SONY of all people (I guess Sony records publishes the soundtracks of Hiroyuki Sawano).

Oh well.

I've had my fill of the soundtrack from Youtube. Just gonna wait for my CD to ship while I go on Xenocross lockdown otherwise (although Miiverse pics have been nice...)

Nanashrew

Banned

Oh well.

It's common. Sony Records and a few other music publishers are notorious for takedowns unless it's on the artist's channel, Sony channel or Vevo. If you search up Boom Boom Satellites, you're mostly going to get their main channel or Sony Music Network.

Fou-Lu

So, my main worry waiting for Xenoblade X is that it won't have a plot compareable to the rest of the Xeno games. I don't want it to be like other open world games where I do the plot as an after thought. So people playing it, what's the verdict?

I had accidentally read a BIG spoiler that to me seemed to indicate at least some things would be missable. I would be very pleased to hear that this is not the case.

Argh, really ? :( I hope that whatever it is, it won't time things out...
I hope someone knowledgeable will be able to chime in.

chadboban

So I found a video where someone was paying homage to the first time we saw a Doll all the way back in January 2013. So I thought, why not do a comparison?

Some things to note with these pics
1. This was obviously a homage rather than an attempt to do a 1:1 comparison so the earlier footage is more zoomed in, some angles are off and the time of day is different.

2. This comparison is more to see how the geography of the area and it's textures have changed in the past two years.

3. The captures from the original trailer are blurry due to the fact that that's simply the way the video was and Nintendo never uploaded a better quality trailer anywhere.

Top Bottom