• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[XGS] The Coalition “Alpha Point”— Screenshot

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
hungry baby GIF

I assume there will be more than a rocky landscape shown? I really want to see what else can be shown with UE5, like vegetation and colorful landscapes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
there is nothing wrong with them ,its just that the screenshot is from xbox developer , if it was a screenshot from a demo made by naughty dog everyone would be so happy

There is something wrong with people that think the Coalition is making a demo and NOT a game. That's crazy people thinking.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Maybe instead of tech demos they should develop games?
Developing "tech demos" is a part of modern software development, particular as it relates to presenting at conferences.

But even internally a lot of software starts at devs creating something to demonstrate during a hackathon, often done on a Friday over pizza and beer. The code then becomes the start of a real project, or component of a project.

Last edited:
So they confirm they are developing the next Gears in UE5 but create an entirely unique demo to show us UE5?

Why wouldn't they atleast show something Gears related? What a waste of resources, promoting Epics product for them.

"Here's some amazing assets you wont see in our next game, enjoy!" Might aswell be a cgi trailer for all we care.

reksveks

So they confirm they are developing the next Gears in UE5 but create an entirely unique demo to show us UE5?

Why wouldn't they atleast show something Gears related? What a waste of resources, promoting Epics product for them.

"Here's some amazing assets you wont see in our next game, enjoy!" Might aswell be a cgi trailer for all we care.
Didn't confirm that they are making a gears game I don't think.

You think a large proportion of the team is working on this demo. They are probably using this as a task to learn about the new updates as well as promotion for job positions

Dr Bass

Developing "tech demos" is a part of modern software development, particular as it relates to presenting at conferences.

But even internally a lot of software starts at devs creating something to demonstrate during a hackathon, often done on a Friday over pizza and beer. The code then becomes the start of a real project, or component of a project.
Where the hell did you pull this idea from? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

IntentionalPun

Where the hell did you pull this idea from? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
From working at tech companies (and some bigger IT orgs at big companies that have adopted modern dev culture/practices). Internal hackathons are not uncommon at all. Beyond that individuals taking the initiative to try out a new technology isn't uncommon either. Big parts of Azure are built from work that started at hackathons (both internal, and external "competitions".)

Either way, this was done to evaluate the engine:

Catch the public debut of Alpha Point, a UE5 technical demo created by The Coalition to evaluate UE5 on the Xbox Series X/S. Hear what the team learned as they tested internal Nanite assets in Lumen-driven lighting scenarios, as well as their thoughts on how UE5’s performance and memory stacks up in Xbox Series X and S-style production environments.

And they are presenting at GDC.. another thing tech companies let their employees do for fun and fulfillment.

Last edited:
Didn't confirm that they are making a gears game I don't think.

You think a large proportion of the team is working on this demo. They are probably using this as a task to learn about the new updates as well as promotion for job positions
They make Gears, they are moving to UE5. Not direct confirmation by them, but yeah next Gears is gonna be in UE5.

I dont think a large chunk of the team is doing it no, that would be unnecessary. Just totally foolish to not promote your studios IP. Epic already do Unreal demos, the coalition doing one without thread to thier own games does seem like a waste of time, at the very least a wasted opportunity.

Dr Bass

From working at tech companies (and some bigger IT orgs at big companies that have adopted modern dev culture/practices). Internal hackathons are not uncommon at all. Beyond that individuals taking the initiative to try out a new technology isn't uncommon either. Big parts of Azure are built from work that started at hackathons (both internal, and external "competitions".)

Either way, this was done to evaluate the engine:

And they are presenting at GDC.. another thing tech companies let their employees do for fun and fulfillment.
If you say so. Ive worked at software engineering for almost 20 years, and not once have I ever had to put together new features during "Friday night hackathons." The addendum of "Pizza and beer are commonly seen food items at these events" also came across as pretty hilarious to me.

IntentionalPun

If you say so. Ive worked at software engineering for almost 20 years, and not once have I ever had to put together new features during "Friday night hackathons." The addendum of "Pizza and beer are commonly seen food items at these events" also came across as pretty hilarious to me.

I don't know what to tell you.. I've done consulting for 22 years as a software engineer/architect.. and over the last 5-6 years, hackathons have become relatively common place. In the last year I've worked with/for 3 companies that all did them on occasion at various scales. My consulting firm does them as well internally; we do random hackathons for the purpose of learning, or sometimes as a way to build something we submit to present at a conference. They have a theme or purpose.. maybe it's choosing between 2-3 techs, maybe it's just something fun.. maybe it's trying out ideas for a new feature, etc.

Sometimes a single day, maybe 2.. sometimes spread out over the course of a month or so as something you do here or there and then meet about once or twice.

Most common at actual tech companies, those that make software and services for a living.. less common at companies who have IT department developers.

The entirety of Valve is basically based on this concept lol... normally would just be an every once in a while thing though.

Last edited:
I hate some of Coalition's policies regarding their live service model recently, but goddamn, they're one of the most premier Unreal Engine showcase devs that Epic literally are not paying them to advertise.

Cannot wait for what they're about to show. My suspicion is that they're somehow going to revive their IP (before they were forced to become a Gears studio), Shangheist, albeit with a second team somewhere nearby their office in Vancouver.

Top Bottom