• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[XGS] The Coalition “Alpha Point”— Screenshot

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
A highly funded team literally just reused UE5 premade assets and re titled it "Alpha Point". Holy underwhelming batman.

Batman 1966 GIF

It says they used their own assets...it's for a developer conference, not sure why you in particular are supposed to have any amount of "whelming" here, unless you are a game dev.

hevy007

Banned
Agreed, I'm exited for the demo but UE5 is failing to show diversity in the environments, especially when it comes to rendering foliage or even snow. Instead we keep getting these baron and rocky landscapes.
Really? i see plenty on Artstation, any engine can do any landscape just fine, the whole point of these demo's is to do a breackdown of where the tech is now and where it will be..what the tech debt is quickly. Rocks just so happen to be something that is easy/fast to use, easy to light while offering lots of macro and micro details to assess such debt. That's why you see lots of it, its simply a smart choice.

IntentionalPun

Agreed, I'm exited for the demo but UE5 is failing to show diversity in the environments, especially when it comes to rendering foliage or even snow. Instead we keep getting these baron and rocky landscapes.
That's because the advancements are in geometry.. not stuff like foliage or snow.

They are showing off what's new/interesting. Otherwise everything else from UE4 will just move over like their recent systems for stuff like foliage (I believe they had a pretty major one come out like 2 years ago.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

...the whole point of these demo's is to do a breackdown of where the tech is now and where it will be..what the tech debt is quickly. Rocks just so happen to be something that is easy/fast to use, easy to light while offering lots of macro and micro details to assess such debt. That's why you see lots of it, its simply a smart choice.

The point I think the negative/anxious voices on here are saying is: we don't want "easy" anymore.

It's been over a year, we've already seen US5 showcased twice by Epic Games itself, plus there are tons of user-generated sample projects on the Early Access version. If this Alpha Point demo doesn't end up knocking everybody's socks off then so be it, it is what it is and there's much more to come from UE5. But by this point in UE5 presentations, it'd be really really great if we saw something done with it that went "hard". The Coalition is the type of company that could do that, if that was what this demo was scoped for (which, maybe, maybe not, but it'd be a lot cooler if it was.)

(Really, though, it's just a screenshot, for a dev conf, no less. I think it's fair to hope for something extraordinary and to be a little wary that this screenshot looks somewhat ordinary, but let's keep some perspective while we're waiting this week to see the demo.)

Last edited:

hevy007

Banned
The point I think the negative/anxious voices on here are saying is, we don't want "easy" anymore.

It's been over a year, we've already seen US5 showcased twice by Epic Games itself, plus there are tons of user-generated sample projects on the Early Access version. If this Alpha Point demo doesn't end up knocking everybody's socks off then so be it, it is what it is and there's much more to come from UE5. But by this point in UE5 presentations, it'd be really really great if we saw something done with it that went "hard". The Coalition is the type of company that could do that, if that was what this demo was scoped for (which, maybe, maybe not, but it'd be a lot cooler if it was.)

(Really, though, it's just a screenshot, for a dev conf, no less. I think it's fair to hope for something extraordinary and to be a little wary that this screenshot looks somewhat ordinary, but let's keep some perspective while we're waiting this week to see the demo.)
It isn't for the general public so who cares what they want, if it does or does not knock socks off isn't exactly the point, it'll look great no doubt but it's a GDC talk for other devs! to speak about what they have learned and pass on that knowledge that's it. If people want to have a look at it as well then great but that's not the purpose., The General public simply have to wait and that's that really. If they don't want to wait then they can download Unreal and go nuts. Nobody is sitting there going man let's go all out and spend millions of dollars so people on forums can be excited, that comes after you learn about the tech no before.

Blows my mind that 8 months later and no series x exclusive that looks next gen. Maybe the Ascent and Flight sim at the end of this month will finally deliver on XSX.
Blows my mind how ignorant and plain dumb some people are on this forum. Gears 5 was released in end of 2019. 2020 was pandemic, yeah sure Coalition will go full force and be able to make a full fledged next gen title ready for end of 2021. You are so dumb and ungrateful. You have no respect or appericiation for developers. Jesus christ.

CamHostage

It isn't for the general public so who cares what they want, if it does or does not knock socks off isn't exactly the point, it'll look great no doubt but it's a GDC talk for other devs! to speak about what they have learned and pass on that knowledge that's it. If people want to have a look at it as well then great but that's not the purpose., The General public simply have to wait and that's that really. If they don't want to wait then they can download Unreal and go nuts. Nobody is sitting there going man let's go all out and spend millions of dollars so people on forums can be excited, that comes after you learn about the tech no before.

But considering that the materials will become available to the general public (they actually don't say what will or will not be released beyond the GDC streaming paywall, but at least as game engine demos go, Epic Games usually releases its keynote-style presentations, and they are hosting Coalition in their event space,) people will care, so they should be good.

I agree, GDC isn't supposed to be what gamers sometimes mistake it to be. It's not an event for announcing big games to the public, for debuting technology that players can expect in the near future, for the uninformed general public to get its information. It is a conference for game developers. But some portion of the festivities are produced for public consumption, and the public will judge it to some degree. Also, Epic Games usually sets a high standard for engine demos (The Samaritan, A Boy & His Kite, Elemental, Chaos, Lumen in Land of Nanite, etc,) and this demo won't be theirs but will be on their stage and is their main event for this year's GDC. And especially that The Coalition itself is advertising the Alpha Point project ahead of the show on its own Twitter usually used for updating gamers about game updates and service status, this project can be fairly considered as being for the public as well as the private GDC attendees.

(BTW though, even if we forget about the public, game developers and press themselves actually like to be wowed now and then. If I were playing $250 for a GDC pass and Epic Games was basically the keynote, and all they brought for a showing of the compelling Unreal Engine 5 technology that my company is interested in investing is was just another Lumen on the Rocks demo that I could have made at home kitbashing for fun in the Early Access release, I'd be a little deflated. Game makers are geeks too.)

Whatever the case, if Alpha Point isn't amazing, so be it. You're right and I am wrong about being hyped for this, it's purpose is to support the talk to developers, not to speak to my heart as a gamer. But one year after the tech's unveiling, 8 months after the next-gen consoles launched, and with a top-tier developer doing the presentation, now would be a great time for something substantial to show running on UE5.

Last edited:

hevy007

Banned
But considering that the materials will become available to the general public (they actually don't say what will or will not be released beyond the GDC streaming paywall, but at least as game engine demos go, Epic Games usually releases its keynote-style presentations, and they are hosting Coalition in their event space,) people will care, so they should be good.

I agree, GDC isn't supposed to be what gamers sometimes mistake it to be. It's not an event for announcing big games to the public, for debuting technology that players can expect in the near future, for the uninformed general public to get its information. It is a conference for game developers. But some portion of the festivities are produced for public consumption, and the public will judge it to some degree. Also, Epic Games usually sets a high standard for engine demos (The Samaritan, A Boy & His Kite, Elemental, Chaos, Lumen in Land of Nanite, etc,) and this demo won't be theirs but will be on their stage and is their main event for this year's GDC. And especially that The Coalition itself is advertising the Alpha Point project ahead of the show on its own Twitter usually used for updating gamers about game updates and service status, this project can be fairly considered as being for the public as well as the private GDC attendees.

(BTW though, even if we forget about the public, game developers and press themselves actually like to be wowed now and then. If I were playing $250 for a GDC pass and Epic Games was basically the keynote, and all they brought for a showing of the compelling Unreal Engine 5 technology that my company is interested in investing is was just another Lumen on the Rocks demo that I could have made at home kitbashing for fun in the Early Access release, I'd be a little deflated. Game makers are geeks too.)

Whatever the case, if Alpha Point isn't amazing, so be it. You're right and I am wrong about being hyped for this, it's purpose is to support the talk to developers, not to speak to my heart as a gamer. But one year after the tech's unveiling, 8 months after the next-gen consoles launched, and with a top-tier developer doing the presentation, now would be a great time for something substantial to show running on UE5.
Again, it is not for the average consumer no matter what anyone says, yes the information is available to the public for those who are interested in the topic to seek out, just like medical information or any other. I'm going to the GDC because i'm interested in the technically aspect of their findings, i like many other devs already know what it can do visually as we can just open up Unreal 5 and mess around, it's not like it's unavailable, i'm in it every day.

The demo's that Unreal did back then were to lure people to Unreal, they didn't have that much market share and licensing the engine was expensive, thus demos are made to entice other companies to purchase that license. Do you notice how the Unreal demos pretty much stopped after it became free, well that's the reason, no need to entice a much anymore. They shifted to more playable demos for devs to dig into to see how things are done in Unreal.

Yes game devs are geeks too, their also game devs going to GDC they know what it's about/what to expect. Doubt anyone will be deflated to learn new things and get information that will save them tons of time and money. Shit the GDC youtube channel has saved me tons of time and money that's they value, 250$ to save me thousands and thousands is a good deal.

What do you mean by you're right and i'm wrong? if you're interested then be hyped go nuts...I said it will look great no doubt, possibly mind blowing so who knows. Just that it isn't the point of this particular type of demo and there's a reason why they go for rocks and such.

Why would it be great time? Are you a user of UE5? Who are they trying to convince and for what reason? Are you going to develop a game with it?? create a company and pay royalties to epic? if no, then honestly you're not that important (you are to me tho! i love you). I don't mean to come off rude, but you waiting x amount of time and need to see this and that isn't what anyone is thinking about. The general public will buy a game if it looks good and they are interested in it not because of the engine it was made in.

Again if anyone wants to know what it can do, go get it and do it otherwise you have to wait.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
if you tell me this was taken from UE5 PS5 showcase i would believe you.

Salz01

Blows my mind how ignorant and plain dumb some people are on this forum. Gears 5 was released in end of 2019. 2020 was pandemic, yeah sure Coalition will go full force and be able to make a full fledged next gen title ready for end of 2021. You are so dumb and ungrateful. You have no respect or appericiation for developers. Jesus christ.
I do. I think Insomniac are great. Very greatful to own a console they developed something next gen on, and I have mad respect what they were able to achieve on PS5.

I mostly poked fun at all Xbox studios, and not just Coalition.

I own both btw.

IntentionalPun

While it's a dumb comment in regards to the Coalation..

It still was pretty unprecedented for a console manufacturer to not release w/ a 1st party game.

Poor planning in the end.

sendit

It says they used their own assets...it's for a developer conference, not sure why you in particular are supposed to have any amount of "whelming" here, unless you are a game dev.

It was posted on social media. Twitter no less. The post was meant to generate hype.

IntentionalPun

It was posted on social media. Twitter no less. The post was meant to generate hype.
I mean.. I guess... but you were wrong about the assets anyways, and UE5 tech demos have certainly been a hot topic, so I don't blame Kilobrite or whatever for posting it lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
While I understand the frustration over this tech demo instead of a real gameplay demo, I am just happy that we will finally get to see what MS first party studios have cooking up on the XSX. Starfield looked great but thats a bethesda game that likely wont be pushing graphical fidelity. I want to see what graphical wizards like Playground devs, Ninja Theory and Coalition can do with the xsx.

Especially since we have been hearing non-stop about their RDNA 2.0 feature set. We finally saw VRS being used like 9 months into the gen with some pretty decent performance lifts in Doom, so lets see if that allows them to really shoot for CG quality visuals we havent yet seen on the PS5.

Same goes for all this hysteria over mesh shaders and hardware ML thats supposedly not supported by the PS5 GPU. Fifa supports ML stuff on the PS5 and UE5's nanite seems to be using primitive shaders so clearly you dont need hardware ML or mesh shaders. But if they do make a difference then I want MS first party studios to really show me what they can do.

supernova8

Banned
Problem with next-gen super realistic graphics is that literally everything has to be that good or it kills the immersion in a heart beat. That's why very, very few games have managed to pull it off so far.

I reckon very few games will pull it off this generation too. (Ratchet sort of did it but those are fantasy graphics so it doesn't count in the same way, think more like RDR2).

Last edited:

reksveks

They make Gears, they are moving to UE5. Not direct confirmation by them, but yeah next Gears is gonna be in UE5.

I dont think a large chunk of the team is doing it no, that would be unnecessary. Just totally foolish to not promote your studios IP. Epic already do Unreal demos, the coalition doing one without thread to thier own games does seem like a waste of time, at the very least a wasted opportunity.
That post confirms that they are working on a ue5 title or two but not necessarily that it's a Gears game.

And again, it's a learning opportunity.

Dane

The sheer ignorance in some posts is not even astonishing at this point. Guess who started as a tech demo? Gears of War.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

Can't wait for the 3 years it will take them to show us an actual game, maybe GPUs might be available then too. Hell, their 1st game might even be cross gen with the next xbox that'll probably have been announced by then.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So they confirm they are developing the next Gears in UE5 but create an entirely unique demo to show us UE5?

Why wouldn't they atleast show something Gears related? What a waste of resources, promoting Epics product for them.

"Here's some amazing assets you wont see in our next game, enjoy!" Might aswell be a cgi trailer for all we care.

Its a new engine the tech demos are pretty much like helping the entire team learn what their workflow will be with the new engine.
And how the engine works with the Series X/S.
Yeah they could make a Gears 6 demo......but without any of the preproduction so they will just throw away everything that they are gonna to be doing anyway.

Or they could make a "throwaway" tech demo.

A highly funded team literally just reused UE5 premade assets and re titled it "Alpha Point". Holy underwhelming batman.

Batman 1966 GIF

Which premade assets are they using?
Which content pack are they from.
Youve got UE5 demo you could screen shot the assets that That Coalition is using that are stock in UE5?

Same goes for all this hysteria over mesh shaders and hardware ML thats supposedly not supported by the PS5 GPU. Fifa supports ML stuff on the PS5 and UE5's nanite seems to be using primitive shaders so clearly you dont need hardware ML or mesh shaders. But if they do make a difference then I want MS first party studios to really show me what they can do.
The hardware for Mesh Shaders and Primitive Shaders is exactly the same and has been since AMD’s Vega Architecture.

Primitive Shaders can actually be programmed to mimic Mesh Shaders and the results in performance when optimised correctly are identical. The only advantage Mesh Shaders have is tessellation can be programmed slightly more easy.

Interestingly enough the RDNA 2 architecture automatically converts Mesh Shaders into Primitive Shaders in code.

That post confirms that they are working on a ue5 title or two but not necessarily that it's a Gears game.

And again, it's a learning opportunity.
They are the Gears studio so clearly they are making a Gears game, that is a very safe assumption. Even in that statement they specifically talk about how Gears has been a flagship for UE since the beginning, we can read between the lines.

Again, producing assets that specifically relate to your ip/next project would only prove to be a more focused learning process.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, one interesting thing is...going by this thread unreal engine 5 is now not very good and looks the same in everything? Kinda weird that it's been deemed shit after the videos showing it running on multiple platforms.

Or is it something else?

Last edited:

oldergamer

No you summed it up. Praise unreal when its something exclusive to a sony console, complain how its all brown, empty, sparse, and not as good when its not a sony console. Honestly, can people stop trying to diminish something because its not on their favorite plastic box? Its getting both annoying and tiring.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Problem with next-gen super realistic graphics is that literally everything has to be that good or it kills the immersion in a heart beat. That's why very, very few games have managed to pull it off so far.

I reckon very few games will pull it off this generation too. (Ratchet sort of did it but those are fantasy graphics so it doesn't count in the same way, think more like RDR2).

I agree with you about the fantasy graphics with R&C which is why I don't consider it better looking than something like Cyberpunk because they are held to different standards.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I agree with you about the fantasy graphics with R&C which is why I don't consider it better looking than something like Cyberpunk because they are held to different standards.

Games do not have to be "real life realistic" to look better then something else. The material work in R&C can look realistic.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Games do not have to be "real life realistic" to look better then something else. The material work in R&C can look realistic.

The CGI in something like the Marvel movies is held to a completely different level of scrutiny than a Pixar movie. That same comparison can be made with Cyberpunk and R&C. I've played both Cyberpunk on my PC looking its best and I'm running through R&C right now.

While it's a dumb comment in regards to the Coalation..

It still was pretty unprecedented for a console manufacturer to not release w/ a 1st party game.

Poor planning in the end.
Gears Tactics hit consoles the day XSX|S was released. It was upgraded as well. Just because it was on PC doesn't mean there was a console version before the launch of this generation. Not everyone games on PC.

TonyK

Great! I didn't know brown rocks could be so awesome in U5. If only there was more demos with brown rocks, I'm tired at this point of jungles, space ships, cities in Unreal Engine 5.

Armorian

Banned
Bullshit? Crysis looks like that on PC. Better when modded.

It didn't at launch (one year after trailer) and with mods it's unplayable on 2006/7/8 hardware. Lighting is super dull in vanilla compared to this, remaster has similar lighting

Shit had to be prerendered using game asssets.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Looks like a daily free asset from the Epic U4 store. Congrats I guess?
And how is the performance profile on Series S and Series X.
Which is why you would be creating a tech demo, to show you can efficiently use the technology.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The only advantage Mesh Shaders have is tessellation can be programmed slightly more easy.
Interesting. Yeah, like I said, if there is an advantage then I'd like to see it because it doesnt look like third parties are going to use mesh shaders to the fullest especially now that UE5 isnt doing something that can only be done on the XSX.

It didn't at launch (one year after trailer) and with mods it's unplayable on 2006/7/8 hardware. Lighting is super dull in vanilla compared to this, remaster has similar lighting

Shit had to be prerendered using game asssets.
So are you saying the Engine was incapable or the hardware to play it on was? It wasn't bullshit, it just took time for the hardware to catch up.

Top Bottom