• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Jeels

Hey guys,

I still don't have 4.3 I am doing the companion app on my PC now but it says I am up to date.

US ZL unlocked using T Mobile here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Yup, it says my Xperia is up to date. UGH...

Irminsul

Same for me, German ZL unlocked (so the carrier shouldn't really matter, right?) here. Glad I'm not the only one, but these rolling updates could really take a speed-up.

Any idea if checking twice (via phone and via PC) helps? Probably not, right?

Jeels

Same for me, German ZL unlocked (so the carrier shouldn't really matter, right?) here. Glad I'm not the only one, but these rolling updates could really take a speed-up.

Any idea if checking twice (via phone and via PC) helps? Probably not, right?

I looked around online and it looks like updates are rolling out per country? Brazil was one of the first to get it and just today Malaysia got it. I saw people from Germany saying they haven't gotten it, as well as people from the US. Pretty shitty considering these are big markets. :/

Hrothgar

Not liking the white colour of the settings menu in 4.3 one bit.

Edit: It also killed my battery: 7.5 hours on a full charge with the screen off in normal mode. Before the update I could last for like 3+ days on a full charge with the screen off.

For the most part im really not enjoying the new update!

Firstly the white background is pretty annoying, especially when the alarm clock page is bright white and your eyes have barely opened and your franticly trying to turn it off before waking your wife.

Secondly my Z never remembers my setting for auto screen switch off, after a few hours it reverts back to the default setting of 15 seconds, so I have to keep changing it back to longer.

Hoping these issues will be sorted quickly but I doubt it.

Jeels

Over a month and some people have 4.3 and some don't.

Despite loving the hardware more than any other OEM, I think I am not buying a Sony phone again.

OK I guess this is a good enough place to ask.

My friend has an Xperia Z and it is reading his texts to him. How does he turn this off? He has no clue how it came on suddenly today.

sarcastor

so i'm looking to upgrade my Moto G to either the Xperia Z or Nexus 5. Can you owners of the Z tell me if its worth it? I'm really interested in getting something waterproof. Plus it has 16gb more space and it looks way classier :)

It's only $400 versus $580 for the Z1 - spending $600 on a phone is just a bit too much for me. I'm on the $30 Tmobile plan btw.

SxP

bumping this old ass thread since our old ass phone just got its Kitkat update.

:D

Not up for me yet via PC Companion. Last time (with 4.3) it took a more than three weeks for it to finally be available for me via PC Companion. Which is ridiculous.

Danj

Yes, all the fixes I've tried are temporary...
There's tons of complaints online, it's screwed the phones.

No official fixes either.
It seems it's Google Play Services taking all the battery.

I saw that too, what's up with that? I'm having to charge my phone every day now.

This is unacceptable tbh

Ran out if battery in about 5 minutes of 3G usage, and 90 minutes of light browsing, with 10 hours of Sleep in between

No way of rolling back?

The Real Bobble

Neo Member
Yep phone is shit now.

As a work around I downloaded an old version of the Google Play services apk that I found after a Google search (4.3.23) which seems to be better for battery life (keep awake time is much lower). You just need to uninstall the updates to get rid of the latest version (4.4.53) before installing the apk.

Google apps all work but I do have an annoying noticification imploring me to update Google Play services....

Having said that I would be surprised if the battery drain returned.

I can't believe google/Sony would release updates that so completely mess up our phones like this.

MutFox

Banned
The way they talk about the "Fixes" seems like Sony isn't going to fix it,
and pointing out that it's all up to Google.

I really hope this fix is out soon and don't have to wait months...
Pretty sure we're gonna have to wait months... :/

If it goes a certain amount of time,
I might go to a custom ROM and I'm trying to avoid that.

Jeels

So I hope theres an answer for this with such a limited ownership of this phone, but does anyone have a good arm band recommendation for the Xperia Zl? You know, those things you can put your phone in for running and listening to music. Thanks Gaf.

Bri

I just purchased the Xperia ZL, should I return it? The battery drain problem seems to be effecting literally everyone using this phone.

Fuck. Second time in two months I purchase a phone and returning it without even opening it.

MutFox

Banned
Got the battery thing sorta good on my Xperia ZL now...
Seems it's a location issue.

Just had to switch the Location setting to GPS only, not GPS, WiFi and Data.
For some reason, that combo kills the battery.
(Tried, Wifi + Data only, but it doesn't work with Maps)

Then I had to kill all Google Services + Google Play Services.
After that, charged to 100%

Finally restarted.

I can go a full work day, and by the end with no charging,
I'm in the 70's or 80's for battery.
And I'm actually using the phone.

I want to have GPS, Wifi and Data on, but this will do until the next update comes out.

The Real Bobble

Neo Member
Got the battery thing sorta good on my Xperia ZL now...
Seems it's a location issue.

Just had to switch the Location setting to GPS only, not GPS, WiFi and Data.
For some reason, that combo kills the battery.
(Tried, Wifi + Data only, but it doesn't work with Maps)

Then I had to kill all Google Services + Google Play Services.
After that, charged to 100%

Finally restarted.

I can go a full work day, and by the end with no charging,
I'm in the 70's or 80's for battery.
And I'm actually using the phone.

I want to have GPS, Wifi and Data on, but this will do until the next update comes out.

How do I change the location setting to' GPS only'?

I've resorted to only turning on location settings when I need gps which seems to have worked but I could do without the hassle of toggling it on/off....

This issue is so frustrating... And thanks to it this will likely be my last xperia.

MutFox

Banned
How do I change the location setting to' GPS only'?

I've resorted to only turning on location settings when I need gps which seems to have worked but I could do without the hassle of toggling it on/off....

This issue is so frustrating... And thanks to it this will likely be my last xperia.

To change it, go to your Settings, scroll down to Location. (Under Personal)
There's 3 settings in there, one of the settings is Device Only. (That's GPS only)

Hope it works out. :p

Picked up an Xperia Z recently but haven't opened it yet. Any opinions from current owners? Does it still hold up despite being 18 months old? Is the most recent version (4.4.4) pretty good?

Been reading a lot of reviews about it and I'm wondering if it's gotten better (apparently the launch camera wasn't great). Sometimes I wish websites would review technology again a few months later (after updates).

Linius

I've been using it a lot on a daily basis since the release so mine got a bit slower than it used to be. But other than that it's still a decent phone. Though I'm looking forward to upgrading with my contract renewal early 2015. The jump in specs is gonna be immense.

Bumping this thread because my Z3 randomly just decided to no longer detect my headphones anymore. Upon searching online, all I saw was some solution through downloading an app called SoundAbout. I'm looking for help though, it has something to do with Sony's Smart Connect app, as the headphones work whenwith SoundAbout forcesthem too.

I've reset the phone, uninstalled/reinstalled Smart Connect, etc. Other users have reported the problem persisting despite doing a factory reset, which I'm not yet ready to do. I hope I don't have to send my phone in, Id hate to be without it for even a week.

Sulik2

Just a PSA, don't buy a Z3V. My flap that goes over the power connection slowly separated and fell off the white cable after about six weeks of owning. I didn't really care, I keep it in an Otterbox anyways and the covers seemed super fragile so I figured this was common.

Fast forward to today, about 4 months after I lost the cover and still way under a year of owning the phone, my phone just randomly dies overnight so I take it into Verizon. Turns out my warranty is voided. If you lose one of those flaps its considered physical damage and voids the warranty. This is absolutely insane, an 1/16 plastic piece of plastic on the outside of the phone that separates under normal use and goodbye to your warranty.

TLDR: If one of the waterproof covers falls off during normal wear and tear on a Z3V it voids the warranty.

Top Bottom