• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSeed giving LUNAR PSP a fresh translation

Stage On

souvlakispacestation said:
It's not as good as the old ones. Not even close. Sorry.

Indeed. If they pass, it should be due to the terrible, repetitive load times, and dumbed down battle difficulty.

The best part about the psp port was the crystal clear anime cinemas, to be honest. I still played through to the end, as I'm a big Lunar fan, but I can't say it's what I hoped it would be, and it's certainly nowhere near as good as the Sega CD originals or Saturn/PS1 remakes.

? The load times don't seem all that bad. I just got finished the demo and they never seemed to go beyond a few seconds.

The traslation seems fine and as querky as ever (pun intented) alought I do admit I was walking all over the battles with out even trying where as I seem to remember having to heal more often in the PS1 version but the battle system before was never that hard to begin with anyhow.

I've never played the origanal but I put tons of hours into the ps1 version to the point I broke the battle system in order to get to the girls bath sceen.

So far the PSP game seems alot like that version only slightly flashier and with a new coat of paint. I've already laughed out loud at the dragon dimond stuff so I have no reason that to think the rest won't feel as lovable as it always has.

MCD

i remember the ps1 version getting very hard in the end dungeons and that optional forest area before the water town (i think) but nothing a little grinding won't fix.

gba version on the other hand is very, very easy.

No idea if this is news or not, but Amazon now lists the release date as March 2nd. When I preordered it a week ago it was the week before I believe.

That's a bit close to FFXIII and Strange Journey. If they really have dumbed down the battles, I imagine some of the longer dungeons will be rather boring. I may just pass on this afterall.

GhaleonQ

"For the North American version, we also re-arranged and re-recorded the music for the cutscenes, so please check that out."

Just a tidbit from SquareEnixMusic.com.

Stage On said:
? The load times don't seem all that bad. I just got finished the demo and they never seemed to go beyond a few seconds.

The problem with the load times is how they insist on blacking out the screen, fading the music, then slowly bring the visuals and music back. That technique usually indicates some sort of drastic scene change for me, and the abuse of this transition is really distracting to me. If they just let the music play through the scene transition, I don`t think it would be as bad, but as it is, the game isn`t good enough for me to keep interested.

eternalb

So really hoping they bring back Althena's Tower from the original. I was really disappointed that the remake had removed it. Sure Holy Light broke the game, but doing the fight at the end of the tower with Alex alone to prove his worth made becoming a Dragonmaster so much more significant.

TheShampion said:
The problem with the load times is how they insist on blacking out the screen, fading the music, then slowly bring the visuals and music back. That technique usually indicates some sort of drastic scene change for me, and the abuse of this transition is really distracting to me. If they just let the music play through the scene transition, I don`t think it would be as bad, but as it is, the game isn`t good enough for me to keep interested.

Yep, after 25 hours of this it's enough to make you want to pull your hair out. You load EVERYWHERE, even when moving from one room in a house to another. No install option either.

eternalb

Yep, after 25 hours of this it's enough to make you want to pull your hair out. You load EVERYWHERE, even when moving from one room in a house to another. No install option either.

Sounds like Legacy of Kain...

Probably will be picking this up.... Time to take on Ghaleon again :D

Does anyone miss those hard-bound full-color manuals from the PS ports? I wish current games can produce manuals like that for their special editions.

Indeed. If they pass, it should be due to the terrible, repetitive load times, and dumbed down battle difficulty.

The best part about the psp port was the crystal clear anime cinemas, to be honest. I still played through to the end, as I'm a big Lunar fan, but I can't say it's what I hoped it would be, and it's certainly nowhere near as good as the Sega CD originals or Saturn/PS1 remakes.

Is it worth seeking out the original Lunar then? I tried the demo and bailed midway. The painful load times and boring battles you mention were too much for me. Plus the characters came off as generic and the opening cutscene bothered me. Either make it all animated or all in-engine, not animated - in-engine for 2 lines of voiced dialogue - 10 seconds of animation - in-engine without voices - another 10 seconds of animation. Sheesh.

But I like JRPGs and if the original is better than this remake, I'll give it a shot.

madara

Well I survived Suikoden 5

Garl_Vinland said:
Does anyone miss those hard-bound full-color manuals from the PS ports? I wish current games can produce manuals like that for their special editions.

Gosh, if only the people behind the Working Designs localizations could have helped out with this one.

The Sega CD anime scenes are bleh.... :(

ghaleon16.jpg

The remake anime scenes and portraits are superb.... classic anime style:

ghaleon26.jpg

lunar35.jpg

Night_Trekker said:
Gosh, if only the people behind the Working Designs localizations could have helped out with this one.

Yeah the complete remakes packaging is like the best videogame packaging i ever seen (well at least for the manuals). You can tell they really cared and loved this game.

KaYotiX

Banned
im still glad i own both Editions of Lunar SSSC and Lunar 2. They dont make em like WD made em....packaging alone showed how much love they put into those games.

I really wish one company would do what WD used to do packging wise, even if it was for just one game.....

EDIT: Once i beat this PSP version i will have completed em on each system, like most of others here prolly too. I think Lunar is one of the RPGs ive played and comleted the most...right next to FF3 (US name)

KaYotiX said:
im still glad i own both Editions of Lunar SSSC and Lunar 2. They dont make em like WD made em....packaging alone showed how much love they put into those games.

I really wish one company would do what WD used to do packging wise, even if it was for just one game.....

EDIT: Once i beat this PSP version i will have completed em on each system, like most of others here prolly too. I think Lunar is one of the RPGs ive played and comleted the most...right next to FF3 (US name)

that's because FF VI is the best final fantasy game ever :D

Yeah the packaging was to die for...

d7d7b2c008a0d6e61ae2a010.L.jpg

Lain

Got a new PSP today (which I regret getting, maybe I should have gotten a 2000, those scanlines are annoying), so I was finally able to play the demo.
I quite enjoyed it, I had no problem with the voice acting or the opening song. Then again, this is my first time playing a Lunar game.
The fading to black when changing screens is annoying, but nothing too big.

Lard

Banned
As someone who played the PS1 version and really, truly *hates* WD's translation - especially the "topical" jokes - I am really looking forward to the new translation.

Lard said:
As someone who played the PS1 version and really, truly *hates* WD's translation - especially the "topical" jokes - I am really looking forward to the new translation.

The only thing i didn't like about WD's version was the voice for Ghaleon =\ But for voice-acting, i very much prefer Japanese audio with english subs (or at least the option for that).

I thought the text translation in general was fine.

vid

I harbor so much love for the Working Designs PS1 release of the game, I remember tracking down a complete version on eBay 6-7 years ago now... the box is a little banged up, but otherwise in great condition. I'm still trying to track down a complete box for Lunar 2, as well as the ginormous Arc the Lad strategy guide. Saddens me that WD never got to produce the second volume of the guide.

Reading through the thread so far, I see lots of back and forth about the new translation... and I think, in a lot of ways that's part of what's attracting me to this PSP release of the game. While it won't call me back to the memories of Lunar as Working Designs released it, it WILL provide me with a different take on the Lunar story. Almost like a legend, being told by a different storyteller in a way that's very different, but still enjoyable.

...of course, I've still got the GBA version of the game lying around unplayed...

Kishgal

Banned
Garl_Vinland said:
The only thing i didn't like about WD's version was the voice for Ghaleon =\ But for voice-acting, i very much prefer Japanese audio with english subs (or at least the option for that).

I thought the text translation in general was fine.
But John Truitt is the perfect Ghaleon.

Macstorm

Segata Sanshiro said:
oh well shucks if a guy whose name is in the credits of the XSEED version says everything is okay then i guess everything is hunky dory
I work with PR for lots of RPG publishers, and I was kind enough to let them borrow a copy of Silver Star Complete. If that makes me a biased sell out whose opinion doesn't matter, then so be it. I didn't ask to be in the credits and got nothing out of it, but I'm sticking by my defense against the mindless drones of the internet.

Macstorm said:
I work with PR for lots of RPG publishers, and I was kind enough to let them borrow a copy of Silver Star Complete. If that makes me a biased sell out whose opinion doesn't matter, then so be it. I didn't ask to be in the credits and got nothing out of it, but I'm sticking by my defense against the mindless drones of the internet.
I'm not saying you're deliberately going to be biased, but having your name in the credits of the game is going to affect the way you view the product, whether you want it to or not.

By painting detractors in a wide stroke as "mindless drones of the internet", you've pretty much tipped your hand as to whether or not you're worth listening to.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Additionally, the demo has already proved to me that the game has some significantly annoying issues, and according to those that have the final Japanese build, issues that aren't likely to be remedied.

The loads when transitioning to new screens and the way the music unnecessarily fades out and then back in was extremely off-putting to me. Combined with the new voice work and the script changes... well, let's just say while it's nowhere near the hack-job that was the GBA game, it also can't approach the quality of the PSOne game.

Still buying it, but to say that I'm less than thrilled with what we're getting is an understatement.

Macstorm

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm not saying you're deliberately going to be biased, but having your name in the credits of the game is going to affect the way you view the product, whether you want it to or not.

By painting detractors in a wide stroke as "mindless drones of the internet", you've pretty much tipped your hand as to whether or not you're worth listening to.
Oh I count any zealots on either side as part of the mindless, don't worry I leave no one out, especially here.

When I was writing my impression was the first I'd heard about being in the credits, so that's why I passed the review copy off. By then I was 10 hours in, so I added my disclaimer in plain sight.

People are going to hate either way and I've not been quite on my stance since long before I even touched the game. All I've said from the start and all I'll continue to say is to judge this game on its own merits. I keep my avatar as is because if you're going to hate this game, at least have a rational reason to do so, not because XSEED's doing it or because WD's not.

Rebochan

I love how Vic Ireland has his own defense force these days.

Does nobody remember how controversial he was when Working Designs was still around? I think there's a little too much nostalgia amnesia floating around here. Even when the games were new, lots of people complained about the juvenile jokes, the out of place Wheaties jokes, the sub-par voice acting (yes, it was. Stop defending it just because it's old.), and the bizarre re-balancing of the English version.

Rebochan said:

Does nobody remember how controversial he was when Working Designs was still around?

Honestly, the idea that people like... me... and Segata... are the Vic Ireland defense force is just hilarous.

I'll cop to John Truitt Defense Force though.

Rebochan said:

Does nobody remember how controversial he was when Working Designs was still around? I think there's a little too much nostalgia amnesia floating around here. Even when the games were new, lots of people complained about the juvenile jokes, the out of place Wheaties jokes, the sub-par voice acting (yes, it was. Stop defending it just because it's old.), and the bizarre re-balancing of the English version.

People like him because he talks to them

Rebochan said:

Vic won't remember me because I'm using a different handle these days, but believe me when I say there is no love lost between us. But I respect the hell out of his work.

And yes, I remember the controversy. I remember a bunch of humourless weeaboos hating the shit out of WD's translations while everyone else enjoyed them. I also remember that *no one* else was giving localization work the effort that WD was. No one.

As for the voice acting, I think it holds up well today. It's not among the best anymore, thanks to modern companies having a lot more money to do this stuff with their big projects, but I'd still rank it better than anything XSEED has done, VA-wise, mostly because XSEED just goes to the same small pool of anime voice actors that everyone else does. Stop attacking it just because it's old.

The facts are that I was coming into this situation with a few chips on my shoulder towards XSEED based on their other work, and while I don't really harbour any ill will towards them for their choices with regards to Lunar (it looks a bit to me like they got railroaded), I'm also not interested in buying the final product, whatever the reasons are for its shortcomings.

You seem to be dangerously close to making the nostalgia argument, which even ordinarily pisses me off, but moreso when you're talking about the third remake (with relatively unchanged gameplay mechanics) of an RPG from the 90s. Nostalgia is of the utmost importance in a situation like this, so don't poo-poo it away like it means nothing.

HouseofGlass

Neo Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
And yes, I remember the controversy. I remember a bunch of humourless weeaboos hating the shit out of WD's translations while everyone else enjoyed them. I also remember that *no one* else was giving localization work the effort that WD was. No one.

How can you (rightfully) call out somebody for painting all that disagree with them as uniform soulless morons and then do the same thing on the same page?

I agree with you on most of the other stuff you've but whats so crazy about people having different opinions on what they think is or isn't funny?

Rebochan said:

Do you know what sub-par means? Go play Thousand Arms or something and tell me that Lunar's VA was sub-par.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
HouseofGlass said:
How can you (rightfully) call out somebody for painting all that disagree with them as uniform soulless morons and then do the same thing on the same page?

I agree with you on most of the other stuff you've but whats so crazy about people having different opinions on what they think is or isn't funny?

It's not so much what you describe, as much as it's the level of ignorance surrounding the subject that allows it to be blown way out of proportion.

People would often insist that Working Design's humor wasn't funny and that because of that they shouldn't change the dialogue from the original Japanese version. Yes, there were times where WD flew off the handle like Albert Odyssey, but you wouldn't believe the number of people I've had to educate in the case of say, Lunar. See, alot of the humor that people associated with WD in those games was right there in the original Japanese version as well! Yet they'd continue to insist that it was a WD change and I was just lying to them or must be wrong.

That's why it becomes a touchy subject for some of us. A few crazies flew way off the handle, and other ignorant people believed them without looking for themselves and continued spreading what were effectively half-truths in the best of cases, and outright falsehoods in the worst.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Rebochan said:
:lol Yeah, this never happened back on Usenet.

Does nobody remember how controversial he was when Working Designs was still around? I think there's a little too much nostalgia amnesia floating around here. Even when the games were new, lots of people complained about the juvenile jokes, the out of place Wheaties jokes, the sub-par voice acting (yes, it was.
Those sour types have always been in the minority, and they've usually have been defending scripts for games where they have zero knowledge of what the source material was.

There is nostalgia amnesia at work here, but it's not working in the direction some would like it to.

HouseofGlass

Neo Member
RurouniZel said:
See, alot of the humor that people associated with WD in those games was right there in the original Japanese version as well! Yet they'd continue to insist that it was a WD change and I was just lying to them or must be wrong.

Wait, now I'm confused. From what Vic's been saying in the topic it sounds like the changes are exactly what you're saying they're not; something WD did as a change to the original script. He's said several times that WD's MO is to not be particularly faithful to the original script in order to make it more entertaining/interesting for the people playing it. But you're saying it's (at least partially) just the localization of jokes existing in the original game? Am I misunderstanding something?

HouseofGlass said:
Wait, now I'm confused. From what Vic's been saying in the topic it sounds like the changes are exactly what you're saying they're not; something WD did as a change to the original script. He's said several times that WD's MO is to not be particularly faithful to the original script in order to make it more entertaining/interesting for the people playing it. But you're saying it's (at least partially) just the localization of jokes existing in the original game? Am I misunderstanding something?

I think if you have played Lunar or any of GameArts games, you will find that the sort of humor that is in those games are not completely different than the humor that WD`s translations had. On the other hand, the humor in something like Vangaurd Bandits was probably not too true to the original (probably because the original script wasn`t too great anyway).

I dunno, even when I was bit of a "weeaboo" in my youth, I liked WD`s translations. In fact, I would go as far to say that it was WD that opened my eyes to the idea that keeping 100% to the original script isn`t always the best idea. I have also found in translating stuff myself that it is rather hard to change a high context language like Japnese into a low-context language like English without some sacrifices, so why not add a little flavor? It may seem like blasphemy, but when you go through lines and lines of boring text, it is hard not to insert a joke or two.

vireland

HouseofGlass said:

I'll explain this, but nothing more. I said I didn't want to derail this (more than it has been) and I meant it.

My technique in these games was (and is) a hybrid, and the technique evolved over time. Initially there would be WD all over all the text, and then it evolved into keeping the main story threads well-written, but not too jovial, and putting all the shenanigans and funny stuff in the alleys, side streets and non-important people.

Americans don't have the market cornered on lazy. Many Japanese RPGs love filler text like "Welcome to xxxxxx!" repeated by numerous people in numerous ways. It's boring, lazy, and stupid. So, in general, I would keep ONE of those exchanges and replace all the others with something actually interesting to read. The purists may freak out (and they did), but literally NOTHING of worth was lost. The town became much more vibrant and interesting as a result. A good example of this is Meryod. A fair majority of US fans didn't realize that the inbred enclave was entirely fabricated in my head for the US, and that the Japanese version of that town was a really, really boring place created simply to act as an event trigger for that section of the game. LUNAR on the DS was the first clue lots of US fans had about this, and many were quite surprised.

If there was a humorous exchange or some weird thing, I would always try to keep it because that adds flavor, and I'm all about delicious. One example I can think of off the top of my head is in one of the LUNARs we did there was a pervert that had a bunch of pervy magazines in his home. Because of the WD-style, people thought we changed the text to that subject matter, but it was 100% Japanese in origin. I actually thought it was a little out of place, but I left it because, again, it added a little flavor to the text around there.

HouseofGlass said:

Because I'm a hypocrite. Like pretty much everyone, but at least I can admit it. Also, unlike RPGamer guy, I'm not trying to convince anyone of my credibility. I don't give a shit if I'm credible or not.

Gravijah

Segata Sanshiro said:
Because I'm a hypocrite. Like pretty much everyone, but at least I can admit it. Also, unlike RPGamer guy, I'm not trying to convince anyone of my credibility. I don't give a shit if I'm credible or not.

This is the greatest thing I've read in a while, and my mantra.

Top Bottom