• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSeed working on 3 unannounced PC games ?

I don't think XSEED's desperate to port everything on Steam when their last two games struggled to meet numbers that'd match Vita sales.

What does it has anything to do with the thread at all ?
I'm curious, are you talking about Ys VI (which didn't sold well anywhere, even in Japan) and Trails in the Sky SC ? (Which is a even more niche IP)

Instro

I'm curious, are you talking about Ys VI (which didn't sold well anywhere, even in Japan) and Trails in the Sky SC ? (Which is a even more niche IP)

To be fair the first trails is one of their top games on Steam. I would expect SC to pick up with sales though given the significantly higher price.

We've seen results for Cold Steel?

Unless I was completely hit over the head I could have sworn they released something showing 80K or so sales on PS3+VITA combined. Unless it was someone being dumb and posting bullshit ******** numbers in which case disregard all of that nonsense.

Also, what's the one game Tom always wants to bring over that has like a crazy-ass looking North America map as part of the game (or at least part of the promotional art). Can't ever remember the name of the series.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I suspect that one of those is Xanadu Next, which they said was coming out in Spring. Obviously, I'm in for that.

Another is probably Corpse Party.

The last one is Tokyo Xanadu, ported to PC. J/K, I wish. Maybe it's Zwei II.

I suspect that one of those is Xanadu Next, which they said was coming out in Spring. Obviously, I'm in for that.

Another is probably Corpse Party.

The last one is Tokyo Xanadu, ported to PC. J/K, I wish. Maybe it's Zwei II.

It's none of these. Check the link, Xanadu Next and Corpse Party are already named.
Everything they announced so far has a name on SteamDB.

Unless I was completely hit over the head I could have sworn they released something showing 80K or so sales on PS3+VITA combined. Unless it was someone being dumb and posting bullshit ******** numbers in which case disregard all of that nonsense.

Also, what's the one game Tom always wants to bring over that has like a crazy-ass looking North America map as part of the game (or at least part of the promotional art). Can't ever remember the name of the series.
Isn't 80K like, really good for a niche JRPG? Especially since it's not on PS4 or anything. Then again I'm not really plugged into sales numbers these days.

To be fair the first trails is one of their top games on Steam. I would expect SC to pick up with sales though given the significantly higher price.

Thing about FC though is barely anyone on Steam (if they hadn't already finished it on the PSP previously) finished it so when SC came out, coupled with the price, they probably didn't get it.

Isn't 80K like, really good for a niche JRPG? Especially since it's not on PS4 or anything. Then again I'm not really plugged into sales numbers these days.

Kinda.

Syril

Far East of Eden IV?
Tengai%20Makyou%20Dai%204%20Shi%20no%20Mokujiroku%20-%20The%20Apocalypse%20IV%20(J)%20Map.jpg

Saphirax

80k is a good number, especially considering that 1) it's probably US only and 2) PS3 is ...well dead.

Thing about FC though is barely anyone on Steam (if they hadn't already finished it on the PSP previously) finished it so when SC came out, coupled with the price, they probably didn't get it.

They also forget to market it and stealth released it one week after a release date announcement.

Producer

I don't think XSEED's desperate to port everything on Steam when their last two games struggled to meet numbers that'd match Vita sales.

But do we even have numbers for Vita titles? Im sure Blood Drive and EDF2 didnt sell so hot either..yet they keep releasing the niche titles. Releasing more on PC couldnt hurt.

Shizuka

Like which games?

Ys Ark of Napishtim and Trails in the Sky Second Chapter.

Yes, I'm talking about those games. It has everything to do when people are bringing up unrelated Vita titles saying that they'd only get localizations and stand a chance if XSEED ported them to Steam as well.

One also has to remember that SC releasing allows "some" customers to finally pick up FC and give that one a try. Not sure how many they got but every little bit helps.

This is depressing in its own way when there are other games in the series in the pipe. It is great for a game to get sales, but sucks if those players don't actually play and/or finish the game too because it gives them less incentive to want the next game.

They also forget to market it and stealth released it one week after a release date announcement.
People says they didn't market it but it isn't like there was any real marketing for FC either.

I can't find a source for these numbers anywhere. So I don't know if spreading them even further is a good idea.

Even then, 80k sounds alright. XSEED is a pretty small company.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's none of these. Check the link, Xanadu Next and Corpse Party are already named.
Everything they announced so far has a name on SteamDB.

Well gaddammit, man, now you've got me excited.

I'll go ahead and throw Tokyo Xanadu on my wishlist for "things this might be." Even though it's not. There's no way they'd port it, right?

Syril

One also has to remember that SC releasing allows "some" customers to finally pick up FC and give that one a try. Not sure how many they got but every little bit helps.

I mean I can say with certainty that I passed on FC for years until they announced SC in earnest because I knew that it wasn't a full story.

Ys Ark of Napishtim and Trails in the Sky Second Chapter.

Yes, I'm talking about those games. It has everything to do when people are bringing up unrelated Vita titles saying that they'd only get localizations and stand a chance if XSEED ported them to Steam as well.

Let's be honest, these games wouldn't have done hot elsewhere... and didn't in fact. Also, I didn't saw anyone saying this on that thread. Let's stay on the subject please. But I agree that people shouldn't also use this for stealth portbegging :p

Yeah that didn't do any favors either.

This is depressing in its own way when there are other games in the series in the pipe. It is great for a game to get sales, but sucks if those players don't actually play and/or finish the game too because it gives them less incentive to want the next game.

Yeah, it's kind of a crappy state of affairs.

People says they didn't market it but it isn't like there was any real marketing for FC either.

Actually, it had a lot more. Both titles had been announced at same time. And we had more words on FC. Also a fair price point. But for SC ? The game has been silent for months... then 1 week before release "Guys ! It's coming next week ! "

While I think there will be more Marvelous games ported to PC, I do not believe they will be simultaneous releases or announced until after the Vita versions are out. So speculation about games that are even unreleased in Japan seem a little off.

It just makes no sense when you consider that releasing physical Vita games is still a risk and they'd rather have people buy those copies than the ones on Steam.

Also, people don't seem to be willing to pay full price (i.e. $40) for Vita ports on Steam. Late ports with a ~$20-$25 first week price seems to be a successful strategy.

While I think there will be more Marvelous games ported to PC, I do not believe they will be simultaneous releases or announced until after the Vita versions are out.

It just makes no sense when you consider that releasing physical Vita games is still a risk and they'd rather have people buy those copies than the ones on Steam.

Also, people don't seem to be willing to pay full price (i.e. $40) for Vita ports on Steam.

As for full price titles, I'd say it depends of the game. I agree that some games won't find an audience on Steam at full price.

Actually, it had a lot more. Both titles had been announced at same time. And we had more words on FC. Also a fair price point. But for SC ? The game has been silent for months... then 1 week before release "Guys ! It's coming next week ! "
I mean yeah there were updates about FC more than SC, but I mean marketing as in ads and such.

In fact the thing I heard most about FC wasn't 'marketing', it was people moaning and groaning about how long it was taking them. That isn't marketing.

I mean yeah there were updates about FC more than SC, but I mean marketing as in ads and such.

In fact the thing I heard most about FC wasn't 'marketing', it was people moaning and groaning about how long it was taking them. That isn't marketing.

But at least, there was still communication on the game.

Takao

Banned
Let's be honest, these games wouldn't have done hot elsewhere... and didn't in fact. Also, I didn't saw anyone saying this on that thread. Let's stay on the subject please. But I agree that people shouldn't also use this for stealth portbegging :p

Have you read your own thread?

Luminous Arc Infinity, Net High and Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni.

There are too many Vita exclusive stuff coming through their way so porting them to Steam would do good for them.

This was my thoughts as well. Bring all the Vita games, just with PC ports at the same time.

Have you read your own thread?

I did. Did you read the post I was quoting though ?:

And did you read my full post ?

As for full price titles, I'd say it depends of the game. I agree that some games won't find an audience on Steam at full price.

Even a game that is HUGE and has the most amazing localization ever like Trails SC had people complaining about its $30 pricetag.

People on Steam are cheap as hell. Almost any Vita game at $40 would get laughed at.

That's why late, cheap ports are a good way to squeeze some more money out of games that exhausted their original platform and make a localization less risky. But not more.

Even a games a HUGE and with the most amazing localization ever like Trails SC had people complaining about its $30 pricetag.

People on Steam are cheap as hell. Almost any Vita game at $40 would get laughed at.

That's why late, cheap ports are a good way to squeeze some more money out of games that exhausted their original platform. But not more.

Unfortunately this is true. PC gamer mentality is difficult for non-AAA releases. Even in those cases, most people look for places where they can get it at discount like GMG.

Even a games a HUGE and with the most amazing localization ever like Trails SC had people complaining about its $30 pricetag.

People on Steam are cheap as hell. Any Vita game at $40 would get laughed at

Let's be serious, Trails SC, while being an amazing game, is a 30 dollars 2006 2D RPG. I don't mean to diss the game, but at this price point, it's hard to get hot sales, hence why FC was more successfull. Despite that, I don't doubt SC will find its way.

Unfortunately this is true. PC gamer mentality is difficult for non-AAA releases. Even in those cases, most people look for places where they can get it at discount like GMG.

Eh, I'd say PC is basically the place being the less patronizing against non-AAA releases. As for the discount part, let's be honest: everyone wants to pay their games for less. Are we going to blame discounts now ?

But at least, there was still communication on the game.
End of the day though we really don't know why it hasn't done as well. I really believe it is the price point overall. I don't think it is outside the realm of possibly that people baulked at the price being higher the FC's price, that isn't to say the game isn't worth it at that price.

I fully admit though that knowledge that Cold Steel was coming shortly, and is more visually pleasing, stopped me from getting SC.

End of the day though we really don't know why it hasn't done as well. I really believe it is the price point overall. I don't think it is outside the realm of possibly that people baulked at the price being higher the FC's price, that isn't to say the game isn't worth it at that price.

I fully admit though that knowledge that Cold Steel was coming shortly, and is more visually pleasing, stopped me from getting SC.

That's basically production values. Trails SC is a 2D 2006 games, so visually, it's less appealing to mass market.

Shizuka

That's basically production values. Trails SC is a 2D 2006 games, so visually, it's less appealing to mass market.

You can't have it both ways. If you say that SC didn't succeed because of production values, how did FC sell over 150k copies on Steam alone?

Uppers seems to have much less fanservice than Senran Kagura based on what we've seen so far. Valkyrie Drive is about the same level as SK, but it has a fully localized English trophy set, so it seems likely that XSEED will be bringing it over.

I guess they would give Uppers the same treatment they gave to Akiba's Trip: Male and female fan service.

Let's be serious, Trails SC, while being an amazing game, is a 30 dollars 2006 2D RPG. I don't mean to diss the game, but at this price point, it's hard to get hot sales, hence why FC was more successfull. Despite that, I don't doubt SC will find its way.

I agree that SC will do okay eventually but let me bring this up again:
https://www.nippon-yasan.com/video-...nd-of-heroes-sora-no-kiseki-fc-evolution.html

Japan pays $60 for "2006 2D RPG"s. That's why those games can still be made. The fact that year of release and graphics is an indicator for how much a game should cost on Steam is my whole point. The game was extremely risky and a huge pain to localize. The localization, which is the work you're primarily paying for is of an insane quality. The game is 2x as big as FC. What price should they have released it at?

Eh, I'd say PC is basically the place being the less patronizing against non-AAA releases.
I very much disagree with that. It's really not much different and the games that actually sell well are still AAA.

impact

Banned

You don't need to throw AAA in there, PC gamers are always looking to find a deal on everything and anything. I will buy Dark Souls 3 at ~$40 day one like I did with any other PC game and not feel bad.

It actually feels good to save money, man.

Eh, I'd say PC is basically the place being the less patronizing against non-AAA releases. As for the discount part, let's be honest: everyone wants to pay their games for less. Are we going to blame discounts now ?
I'm not blaming discounts, I don't know why you came to that conclusion. Though it would be an interesting case to see how much they do discount SC in summer sale.

You don't need to throw AAA in there, PC gamers are always looking to find a deal on everything and anything. I will buy Dark Souls 3 at ~$40 day one like I did with any other PC game and not feel bad.

It actually feels good to save money, man.
That was my point.

I am not saying that saving money is bad. I'm pointing out why sales are bad.

You can't have it both ways. If you say that SC didn't succeed because of production values, how did FC sell over 150k copies on Steam alone?
Sales and not relying on a prequel? I do think SC will sell more once people finish the first game and SC goes on sale, though.

Price point. Production values is tied to price point. I didn't made only one post about this, to me the reason SC didn't sold as much is related to price point compared to production values but also a total lack of communication.

Price point. Production values is tied to price point. I didn't made only one post about this, to me the reason SC didn't sold as much is related to price point compared to production values but also a total lack of communication.

No, the ONLY reason SC sold less is because people didn't finish FC and it is a direct sequel.

170k people own FC
10% finished it (based on achievement stats)
17k people own SC

That is not a coincidence.

People bought FC because they saw it in a really cheap sale, never played it or not for more than an hour. That's the problem of Steam as a platform and its sales.

Sure, people will pick up SC and throw it in the backlog pile at $10, but what's the point?

Top Bottom