• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSeed working on 3 unannounced PC games ?

Knurek

No, the ONLY reason SC sold less is because people didn't finish FC and it is a direct sequel.

Hah.
You're saying the fact XSEED didn't promote the game at all didn't matter? A game released during the busiest months of year, with plenty of competition?
The fact that it was released on GOG at the same time as Steam (as opposed to three month wait in FC's case) and as such the game was on torrents about an hour after release didn't matter?
Like, at all?

Hah.
You're saying the fact XSEED didn't promote the game at all didn't matter? A game released during the busiest months of year, with plenty of competition?
The fact that it was released on GOG at the same time as Steam (as opposed to three month wait in FC's case) and as such the game was on torrents about an hour after release didn't matter?
Like, at all?
literally not at all? of course not

not significantly? Yeah that's what I'm saying
We just had this discussion in the Steam thread last week.
They promoted SC as much as they promote all their other titles

Nyoro SF

They didn't port neither of those.
That's what people fail to understand when they beg for stuff like Trails of Cold Steel.

The failure to understand the difference between porting and publishing is unfortunately a common mistake, one that even I made a few years ago. :(

I'd probably break down and cry from the infinite happiness that my feeble human mind can't even begin to comprehend if that happened.

It would blow my mind just from the sheer improbability alone. Still, I'm not that big of an optimist. And there's lots of games I want from XSEED so it's not like it's a big deal if none of them are Trails titles.

literally not at all? of course not

not significantly? Yeah that's what I'm saying
We just had this discussion in the Steam thread last week.
They promoted SC as much as they promote all their other titles

I wouldn't take anything he posts seriously. He's a gimmick poster.

Yes, I'm talking about those games. It has everything to do when people are bringing up unrelated Vita titles saying that they'd only get localizations and stand a chance if XSEED ported them to Steam as well.

iirc, Anihawk's argument was that companies want to get out of the Vita market before it gets bad, rather than being there when things go downhill.

Not that it's reached that stage yet, of course, but I can kinda understand what he's thinking.

Now I think about it, could easily be a load of PS4 ports too. Because if the name of the game is "getting more money out of games that are already translated":

That's why late, cheap ports are a good way to squeeze some more money out of games that exhausted their original platform and make a localization less risky. But not more.

It isn't just Vita games that should get ported, since I'm sure there's a market of PC gamers out there who don't own PS4's but would play these games, just like with Vita.

Just my gut reaction was that it'd be those kinds of titles, but that was probably wrong.

Now I think about it, there's loads of stuff from the back-catalog they could go for since Little King's Story opened that up really. And I do wonder why more 3DS games aren't ported to PC, too.

(I get that they're designed as handheld games moreso than Vita, but still, something like Story of Seasons wouldn't go amiss on Steam).

wrowa

I can't find a source for these numbers anywhere. So I don't know if spreading them even further is a good idea.

Even then, 80k sounds alright. XSEED is a pretty small company.

80k would be quite amazing actually and it's almost definitely much, much more than what they've actually sold. It would make Cold Steel more successful than Zestiria (PS3, PS4) and Disgaea 5.

80k would be quite amazing actually and it's almost definitely much, much more than what they've actually sold. It would make Cold Steel more successful than Zestiria (PS3, PS4) and Disgaea 5.

We have numbers for Zestiria and Disgaea 5? Source?

Vamphuntr

Trails in the Sky: Third Chapter
Trails of Zero
Trails of Azure

Believe.

Last I heard they were just about to finish translating Cold Steel 2 and editing was at like 50%. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Could be a Cold Steel port though since they have a localization for it. Most likely answer is stuff already localized on another platform they are bringin on steam.

Last I heard they were just about to finish translating Cold Steel 2 and editing was at like 50%. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Could be a Cold Steel port though since they have a localization for it. Most likely answer is stuff already localized on another platform they are bringin on steam.

Considering Falcom hasn't made a PC port in years, there is about a 0% chance of that actually happening right now. Xseed having a localization means nothing unless a company is there to help them out with a port.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Are they really that far along on Cold Steel 2? That almost makes it sound like it could launch like... in summer or something. Which, being knee-deep into Cold Steel 1, would make me very happy.

Like, at all?

What does GOG have to do with torrents? Steam games get put on torrents within an hour of release all the time, the fact that there was a DRM free release is meaningless. There's no reason to believe piracy was a larger concern with SC than it was with FC.

Persona7

Banned
Hah.
Like, at all?

There was a three month wait for FC on GOG? I don't remember that.

Edit: just checked my receipt, it came out the exact same day as the steam version.

Smash88

Banned
Trails in the Sky: Third Chapter
Trails of Zero
Trails of Azure

Believe.

jVbfoEx.gif

wrowa

Are they really that far along on Cold Steel 2? That almost makes it sound like it could launch like... in summer or something. Which, being knee-deep into Cold Steel 1, would make me very happy.

They posted their current progress on Facebook at the beginning of January. At that time, translation was 95%, editing 42% complete. They still have to record the dub, though, and then there's the testing process as well. So, the pure numbers might be a bit misleading in terms of how-soon-will-it-release.

panzone

The Crossbell games are impossible right now, sadly.

Even if I want to hope that one of these games is TC, it's really difficult: I don't think they started the translation and, even if it has less text compared to SC, is an enormous game: even if we ignore Cold Steel 2, TC is a 2017/18 release at best. Too soon for an announcement.

SC's sales are fundamentally limited by how many people have finished FC and would like to play the sequel. The level of marketing for both games was equivalent, XSEED's usual Twitter signal-boosting and game-specific websites that few too many buyers ever visit. ToCS has so far benefited from being a prequel and also a recent console release, giving more enthusiast websites incentive to push articles related to the game. XSEED members have been vocal about wanting to localize the in-between titles, but it ultimately comes down to whether they can juggle 3rd, Zero, and Ao with other projects while avoiding SC's production traps.

I'm excited to see what these unannounced PC titles are, though I'm prepare for them to be Marvelous games first and Falcom last (Xanadu Next is the next major Falcom project at XSEED anyway).

I'd lose my shit if Dinosaur Resurrection.
I wonder if the Resurrection version has the FM Oscillator soundtrack, that'd be sweet, love Tower of Spirits
Dude, that ain't half-bad, but including the FM Towns soundtrack would be even better.

Most definitely Fishing Resort.

I'll be the first to guess ports of Fishing Resort and Rune Factory Frontier. :>
I love you two. Fishing Resort's sat on top of my fishing-games-to-play list for years now. Let's see if Little King's Story does well enough to justify more ports of XSEED's earlier releases to Steam/GOG.

The Crossbell games are impossible right now, sadly.

Even if I want to hope that one of these games is TC, it's really difficult: I don't think they started the translation and, even if it has less text compared to SC, is an enormous game: even if we ignore Cold Steel 2, TC is a 2017/18 release at best. Too soon for an announcement.
It's called 3rd, not TC. And it's more than possible assuming SC is bringing good results and prospects for continued localization. XSEED's able to localize Kiseki games faster and more effectively than ever after having made a franchise-wide bible of terms and contexts, in addition to having improved by localizing other games well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Along with being smaller (a lot smaller, CS2 is the second smallest game in the series), they also didn't make the mistake of not immediately starting on CS2 ASAP. Unlike FC and SC, where they didn't even start on SC until a while after FC released (plus all the other drama).

ToCS has so far benefited from being a prequel

Wut

Cold Steel is only a prequel in the wild world of Siliconera.

wrowa

Along with being smaller (a lot smaller, CS2 is the second smallest game in the series), they also didn't make the mistake of not immediately starting on CS2 ASAP. Unlike FC and SC, where they didn't even start on SC until a while after FC released (plus all the other drama).

You're referring to SC there and not to CS, right? Because CS and CS2 have pretty much the same amount of text (1.5 million vs 1.45 million Japanese characters).

Honestly? I wouldn't be too surprised if Marvelous does make a formal push for the PC market, especially considering that apparently Tamsoft was the initiator for the Shinovi Versus port.

Guess: Story of Seasons, Valkyrie Drive and Uppers.

The problem is that the game is too linked to the anime. Not worth the time for them when they already have the SK IP working in the west and without that reputation.

No is not. The only proper link between the two is the upcoming Mirei DLC and a five second cameo of the sisters in the final episode of the Anime.

That lack of direct connection between the two products was one of the most common crticisms on other places

As for the game itself, the only thing that could be an issue are the fact you have actual kisses between the girls and the one sided love of Ranka for her sister. EV is a lot more risky with the purupuru finishers and its dressing room.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You're referring to SC there and not to CS, right? Because CS and CS2 have pretty much the same amount of text (1.5 million vs 1.45 million Japanese characters).

Late response, but yeah. That was awkwardly worded since the point of reference for the first sentence came in the second one.

Tom actually said CS2 was a bit smaller than that though, but he might have been off some since he wasn't really involved with either Cold Steel game (or most of Trails in general).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
They're already top notch for bringing Xanadu Next, Little King's Story, and now TitS the 3rd over. Anything else is icing on the cake. Although if I had to choose from previous Marvelous games I would probably look at Muramasa or No More Heroes.

Dio

Banned
Derp. I can't believe I missed that. Maybe because I haven't read l33tspeak in over a decade.

Cursory google searches don't bring up anything except references to Warriors Orochi lol

Well, there's an Orochi that is in several Senran Kagura titles.

It could be a PC Senran. Who knows.

Top Bottom