• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Wait you don't know? Lol it's been mentioned so many times in this thread.

It's an item that you get from a substory (the one with the Yankee band I believe) and when equipped, it makes all the enemies considerably more aggressive. They no longer "wait their turn" like an action movie, they all just charge at you at the same time even when you're on the ground. It makes the combat REALLY punishing.

A LOT of people in this thread got the item and equipped it, making the game harder. Most of them didn't even read the description and started complaining about how the game just had a sharp difficulty spike that feels insurmountable.

holy fuck, well if they're all coming at you simultaneously then realistically wouldn't they just be bumping into each other getting in each others' way?

Anyways why the fuck would you equip something like that then?! just for the added challenge or do you gain something offensive/defensive with it

holy fuck, well if they're all coming at you simultaneously then realistically wouldn't they just be bumping into each other getting in each others' way?

Anyways why the fuck would you equip something like that then?! just for the added challenge or do you gain something offensive/defensive with it

Just for the added challenge if you feel like the game is too easy.

Haven't gotten the chance to play more than the first two chapters and I really like it so far. Already planning on going in deeper and playing the other releases. However, Kiwami seems to be released this fall and Yakuza 6 seems to be released in 2018. Do I have to wait that long until I can experience more? Those are the only releases on PS4, right?

Haven't gotten the chance to play more than the first two chapters and I really like it so far. Already planning on going in deeper and playing the other releases. However, Kiwami seems to be released this fall and Yakuza 6 seems to be released in 2018. Do I have to wait that long until I can experience more? Those are the only releases on PS4, right?

Yup. Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Y6.

There's RGG: Ishin that was the first title from the series for the PS4 but that's not gonna get localized anytime soon.

Just keep at it, Yakuza 0 is a HEFTY game so you can sink quite a lot of time into it.

Bizzquik

Right there with you; my first Yakuza game I've played for more than an hour (due to real world interference). I'm hoping to see older games come to PS4; I utterly love playing in 60fps.

In reading this Kotaku article here, it sounds like the best path is to wait until the original remake hits on August 29th and then play #4 and then #5.

I'm hoping Sega decides to put #4 and #5 on PS4 - even if it has to be a minimal-effort, digital-only port to 60fps. A $60 PSN combo pack for the two games would be an insta-buy for me.

Yup. Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Y6.

There's RGG: Ishin that was the first title from the series for the PS4 but that's not gonna get localized anytime soon.

Just keep at it, Yakuza 0 is a HEFTY game so you can get sink quite a lot of time into it.

Right there with you; my first Yakuza game I've played for more than an hour (due to real world interference). I'm hoping to see older games come to PS4; I utterly love playing in 60fps.

In reading this Kotaku article here, it sounds like the best path is to wait until the original remake hits on August 29th and then play #4 and then #5.

I'm hoping Sega decides to put #4 and #5 on PS4 - even if it has to be digital-only. A $60 PSN combo pack for the two games would be an insta-buy for me.

That sucks. Well I have yet to play through 0 so I guess it might be a bit early to be bummed out. No way I'm going back and playing on PS3 though. It's gotta be PS4 or PC.

Just keep at it, Yakuza 0 is a HEFTY game so you can get sink quite a lot of time into it.

Speaking of which, how much time did all of you spend on Y0? Between two playthroughs, Premium Adventure and Climax Battles i played it for around 210 hours, which is by far the longest i have ever spent playing a single player game. A distant second are Y3, Y4, Ni No Kuni and MGS V, all of which are around the 130 hour mark for me. Although Y5 will easily take the second spot whenever i get back to 100% it, because i was already close to 130 with plenty of stuff left to do, when i took a break from it.

Kyrios

Speaking of which, how much time did all of you spend on Y0? Between two playthroughs, Premium Adventure and Climax Battles i played it for around 210 hours, which is by far the longest i have ever spent playing a single player game. A distant second are Y3, Y4, Ni No Kuni and MGS V, all of which are around the 130 mark for me. Although Y5 will easily take the second spot whenever i get back to 100% it, because i was already close to 130 with plenty of stuff left to do, when i took a break from it.

I have over 100 hours in Yakuza 0 and I have a ton more to do.

Yakuza 4 I have over 200 hours with the platinum trophy.

Tillbe

This was my first Yakuza experience, and I was totally blown away. Like into the stratosphere, blown away. I adored every second, and I'm still not done with it! I completed the story and am mopping up the side and minigame stuff currently, sitting at 55% and 72 hours played.

The characters and story were so fantastic all the way through, it had beautifully epic moments, touching and poignant moments, and was frequently irreverent and hilarious (i died every time Youda and Majima were spying on someone, sneaking around inconspicuously). The brawling is super fantastic and satisfying, especially when you start learning more moves and mixing styles on the fly. Easily my favorite game I have played all year and in a long while no doubt.

It's really made me hungry for more Yakuza, i anxiously await Kiwami and i suppose ill be busting out my PS2 after that to play through 2 (at this point i wouldn't be able to wait for a remake, even though I'd love to see it). I'm just unbelievably bummed that neither Kenzan or Ishin have any plans to be localized for North America. They look like ridiculously cool offshoot games and I really hope the success of 0 (and hopefully Kiwami) might make Sega or Atlus change their minds.

This was my first Yakuza experience, and I was totally blown away. Like into the stratosphere, blown away. I adored every second, and I'm still not done with it!

Just bought the game for 35 € ( thanks Easter sale) and can't wait to play it after horizon , I've also never played a yakuza game before and am very excited after reading all these crazy good impressions!

Speaking of which, how much time did all of you spend on Y0? Between two playthroughs, Premium Adventure and Climax Battles i played it for around 210 hours, which is by far the longest i have ever spent playing a single player game. A distant second are Y3, Y4, Ni No Kuni and MGS V, all of which are around the 130 hour mark for me. Although Y5 will easily take the second spot whenever i get back to 100% it, because i was already close to 130 with plenty of stuff left to do, when i took a break from it.

Spent 98 hours doing my first playthrough and finishing up the remaining side stuff in Premium Adventure.

At this point the only things I have left are a bunch of Pocket Racer substories, the two Amon battles, a bunch of CP related to a couple of minigames, mostly the card game and gambling type of stuff and I never really bothered with the Styx battles, come to think of it.

Now I'm about 9 hours into my Legend difficulty run and against my better judgement I'm actually doing all the substories again, lol. It is a bit faster this time, because I already know where to find them and I beat Ogita on my second try.

Also, I am kinda skipping through a lot of the sidestory dialogue now as not all of them were equally funny.

And I gotta ask again...does Legend difficulty actually get significantly more difficult? Because right now it feels pretty much like Hard, only with a No Continue gimmick.

I dunno how many of you here are Tekken fans but I'm really excited at the prospect of Kiryu potentially being in Tekken 7.

On top of if they include him they could even have like a story for Kiryu too like they do with Akuma, whether or not they want it to be canon

I think the platinum took me about 200 hours in two playthroughs and climax Battles. Loved it.

Doesn't come close to the 300+ I spent on FFX, 400+ on Toukiden and 1000+ on Vagrant Story though ha ha.

danthefan

Sidequests stay active until you're done with them. There's even a mode called Premium Adventure after you've finished the main story, were you can finish all the stuff you didn't do during the main campaign.

There's nothing missable in the game save for a few trophies, but to platinum the game you have to beat it twice anyway (Legend difficulty only unlocks after you've beaten the game once.) so that's not much of an issue either.

One of the most useful quest rewards is the Encounter Finder, but I don't think the corresponding quest is available yet and either way, to trigger it you need to have two other specific quests finished, so don't worry about it. Just keep in mind, whenever you're asked "Black or white?" always choose black.

It's not so much the item rewards of the quests that you should look forward to but rather, a lot of the people you're helping in quests will come back at a later point to support you. You'll see what that means eventually.

Cool thanks for all the info, appreciate it. Don't think I'll go for the plat, no time to play things twice these days alas.

Like 90% chance that the guest characters won't be part of the actual story mode.

Though they SHOULD have their own arcade mode endings.
just having Kiryu in the game is enough for me, but if they do give him a story that'd be the icing on the cake.

Akuma was the only one I think that is canon to the story. But since Kiryu fits so well and blends in with the Tekken-verse, I think if they wanted to they could do some side story since Kiryu gets so many drawn comparisons to Kazuya.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Anyone else find these games better played at night time when its all dark out? Just a thought that came to me after playing way late last night and right now during the day. Kinda fits the atmosphere better.

btw there's a "retro" bar called Syntax Error? What. Is that what passed for retro in the 80's? Was retro even a thing back then??

That fortune telling mission by the way... series is going so self aware its up its own ass. As expected of a prequel. Oh and Kiryu is the slowest pizza delivery man lol.

By the way - one of the major (minor compared to the game as a whole) issues I have is that the saving is so damn slow. Any way to speed it up? Systemwide settings?

Endo Punk

Just got the quick style change item. The combat enjoyment just went up 10 folds. This should have been part of the style change from the get-go, so many combo options now!

By the way - one of the major (minor compared to the game as a whole) issues I have is that the saving is so damn slow. Any way to speed it up? Systemwide settings?

No, it's super annoying how it has to pause, progress bar, pause, pause, progress bar for "system settings" save, pause, prompt for circle button.

Ugh.

I too am loving the game and I'm on chapter 14. I kidnapped of want to complete all the side stuff but it sounds like it might wear out the fun of this game trying to play it so long and some of the minigames like mahjong and Japanese card games seem like they will be pretty tough.

I too am loving the game and I'm on chapter 14. I kidnapped of want to complete all the side stuff but it sounds like it might wear out the fun of this game trying to play it so long and some of the minigames like mahjong and Japanese card games seem like they will be pretty tough.

I started playing again after getting sidetracked by Nioh, then Horizon, then Nier, then Kingdom Hearts (which are now being sidetracked by going back to Y0).

My overall completion is in the 70s, which I guess is a bit of a sticky point, because you have to do so much to get there, and yet it still feels like there's tonnes to do. I'm feeling renewed vigour now after getting a little burnt out on side stuff, especially the real estate and cabaret activities. Checking online and figuring out the telephone club selection stuff helped as well, as I didn't really have much of a clue how it worked and kept getting the same (bad) dates. Poor Kiryu was violated many times, but I suppose he deserves it for all the future hostesses that'll be bedded.

Menitta

That's the zap gun? I don't think I have that. I used the golden shotgun, but have so little ammo in it that usually have to resort to something else.

What's the trick to get the most bonus cash out of Shakedown? I got it up to 1.2 according to the options screen, but not sure if it can go higher or not.

I'm not sure about the bonus cash but you can find a Zap gun in a 1 million yen dream machine and then you can just rebuy them from the weapon shops.

Jimrpg

As someone for whom Yakuza 0 was their first Yakuza, that's worried me a bit about Kiwami. It's hard to imagine that a PS2-era game would have the same level of writing as Zero does. But I've preordered it anyway because I know it'll still be worth the money even if it doesn't live up to Zero's greatness.

Well, I think Yakuza 1 has a really good story, though I don't really remember how the writing was, but that could very well have been polished up for Kiwami. The story in Yakuza 1 is quite personal from Kiryu's perspective, whereas the rest of the series kind of isn't. In some way its also an origin story of sorts because you get to find out how Kiryu and Haruka's father/guardian relationship begins.

The story is also really succint unlike other Yakuza titles which can drag on a bit and wasn't really until Yakuza 0 where they really had a tightly focused narrative again. I'm assuming it was probably a budget or PS2 era thing, where they were only after a 15 hour main story. The main plot thread is also going to feel really short when compared to other titles too, but I think that's a good thing especially when its sandwiched between 0 and 6's release. There's still plenty of hours of other things to do in the world anyway.

At least for me its Y0 >> Y4 > Y1 > Y3 > Y2 > Y5 so far.

Jimrpg

when did this get moved to the community section...

only in the last 24-48 hrs.

It's always a weird thing if and when a thread gets moved. There are some old OTs on the gaming forum that haven't moved yet. I suppose we should be pleased this is a bigger OT that got moved.

My first Yakuza game and I was enjoying everything up until this Kuze fight. The guy is too fast and either blocks or counters me. I'm side stepping his moves in Rush into a 1 -
2 hit and evade combo, and its tiring my hands, the fight is taking forever, and just feels frustrating.

Jimrpg

My first Yakuza game and I was enjoying everything up until this Kuze fight. The guy is too fast and either blocks or counters me. I'm side stepping his moves in Rush into a 1 -
2 hit and evade combo, and its tiring my hands, the fight is taking forever, and just feels frustrating.

That first Kuze fight is the only fight that gave me trouble but I didn't carry any healing potions. Remember to always carry some.

Stick with it, I don't think any fight is as hard as that one. You just have to bait him into his combo as there's quite a bit of a delay for him after.

Lock on to him, use rush mode, step around him when he attacks until you're behind him, then punch him a bunch of times.

Rymuth

only in the last 24-48 hrs.

It's always a weird thing if and when a thread gets moved. There are some old OTs on the gaming forum that haven't moved yet. I suppose we should be pleased this is a bigger OT that got moved.
Shame, tho. I would've liked it to have stayed there as long as possible to provide more exposure to the series.

Shame, tho. I would've liked it to have stayed there as long as possible to provide more exposure to the series.

Yeah, agreed. Getting stuck in Community kills a lot of window traffic, and we've still had a few people each week who've just started or interested in it. But we had a pretty long run there so we can't really complain.

I don't really know what constitutes reason for a move though. Stellaris for instance is still in Gaming and that's been out for months.

Yeah, agreed. Getting stuck in Community kills a lot of window traffic, and we've still had a few people each week who've just started or interested in it. But we had a pretty long run there so we can't really complain.

I don't really know what constitutes reason for a move though. Stellaris for instance is still in Gaming and that's been out for months.

Likewise, the Nier Automata thread landed in Community a couple of weeks ago, and that one was created about 2 months after this one.

there will be other ways to get exposure to the series

there's that one thread about the next yakuza floating around i think it's already at 4 pages

and i'm still waiting to hear more about the next guest character in tekken 7. whenever more news drops i'll bump the kiryu thread

That's what you're saying, but your avatar face tells me you don't really believe it.
bruh that new Yakuza game thread is right there on the first page.

You wanna bump my thread about Kiryu being in Tekken? Go for it. I'd do it myself right now but that would make it a double post.

as for my avatar...I have been thinking of changing it since Eugene is such a punk bitch fuckboy now. But I've had this avatar for so long

It was fun while it lasted.

So many posts about the charismatic autobiography.

Good times....
even with this OT passed its peak, I think yakuza 0 has at least reached mainstream ears if not mainstream sales.

still, would be nice to know how much exactly yakuza 0 sold over here.

We know that it's above 100k from that Japanese stream with Kiryu's voice actor and Nagoshi-san.

And atlusprime said in his post in the Yakuza community thread while he was leaving his position that we don't need to fret and that they're happy about the support.

Hey YakuzaGAF - just wanted to say my goodbyes...I'm leaving the family to going to go start an orphanage or maybe drive a taxi, but it's been awesome getting Yakuza 0 launched with you all and having Kiwami and 6 announced for western releases.

Don't fret over charts - Yakuza 0 was incredible, and the outpouring of community support here was truly a wonder to behold.

Special shoutouts to everyone in the community, especially Irishninja and Son of Sparda for spreading the good word of Kamurocho around. Couldn't have done it without you all, kyodai.

May your heat gauge be forever filled!

-John

We know that it's above 100k from that Japanese stream with Kiryu's voice actor and Nagoshi-san.

And atlusprime said in his post in the Yakuza community thread while he was leaving his position that we don't need to fret and that they're happy about the support.

why is that guy leaving?!

Following this OT when the game came out was really fun. I remember when I was the champion of crane game and then someone posted screenshots of them getting 3 new dolls with each try lol

Or how people were frustrated by dance battles and hated Ogita. Or the revelation that Obatarian was one of the best hostesses in the game.

Man this thread was tons of fun. Hopefully we'll share similar experiences with Yakuza Kiwami's OT.

Top Bottom