• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 demo - 11/27/2012 (JAP PSN)

Torraz

This is the one I've started using:
http://kouryakutsushin.com/ryu5-wiki/

Its been dead useful to me so far due to the sheer amount of content included in the game!

I've only played up to just past the demo boss fight but I'm really liking the changes and new inclusions to the game. Taxi driving/racing is ace and has some really badass heat moves associated with it. I like that you can customise your darts now (its made darts even easier for me), river fishing seems fun enough and Virtua Fighter 2 seems harder than I remember! (though it is neat to have a fully playable version of it included in the game).

Exactly what I was looking for. Pretty readable with google translate!

Thank you.

Torraz

So I made it up to the haruka part. Pretty fun. Having a glorious time with the game.

Can someone explain this handshake-event to me?

I know that I have to continue to press [], but not much else.

What does L1 do?

How do I know when to stop holding their hand?

Is there a way to know what fans will, when, get the purple cloud over their head?

How do I know what response to give to fans?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

So I made it up to the haruka part. Pretty fun. Having a glorious time with the game.

Can someone explain this handshake-event to me?

I know that I have to continue to press [], but not much else.

What does L1 do?

How do I know when to stop holding their hand?

Is there a way to know what fans will, when, get the purple cloud over their head?

How do I know what response to give to fans?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

When a guy approaches, holding square starts shaking their hand. You can release square any time you want, but the longer you hold it, the more the meter in the top right increases. Basically, if you are shaking one guys hand too long, the other dude comes in from the back and is pissed off or something. Pressing L1 allows you to use one of your 3 smiles, which will make him back off, allowing you longer with the guy your currently with, if that makes sense :p

Torraz

When a guy approaches, holding square starts shaking their hand. You can release square any time you want, but the longer you hold it, the more the meter in the top right increases. Basically, if you are shaking one guys hand too long, the other dude comes in from the back and is pissed off or something. Pressing L1 allows you to use one of your 3 smiles, which will make him back off, allowing you longer with the guy your currently with, if that makes sense :p

Thanks. That's about what I thought after several tries.

Is there any warning regarding a guy who does not like haruka (purple stuff above his head that lowers the bar)?

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

Too full of good ideas, Yakuza 5 tries to do better than the previous title, forgetting that the best is the enemy of the good. Constantly interrupting his story with countless sub-quests as useless as wacky, Nagoshi and his army are drowning in a rich "bouillon". Certainly, there is over a hundred hours of fun in terms of content, but the main game, which is a scripted fighting game is too soften to eventually float correctly, erasing any priority in tasks. The outdated graphics and game design also contribute to this feeling of never really succeed to get the full story, the narrative being between the thriller and the amusement park. We had fun with Yakuza 5, but this great funny and badly paced mess will not make you dream like the previous title. You can get hook to it, but dont get stung.

+ fight bears !
+ the starlet games career
+ still effective combat system
+ still charismatic characters
+ a ton of mini-games and other activities

- outdated graphics and game design
- pace problems on the main story
- too many "who cares" quests

6/10

Tenrius

They can't really blame the game for abundance of optional content, can they? Besides, substories were always fun in Yakuza and they really support the continuity of the setting with all the recurring characters and references.

Aselith

They can't really blame the game for abundance of optional content, can they? Besides, substories were always fun in Yakuza and they really support the continuity of the setting with all the recurring characters and references.

I think they are complaining about the quality. If you add more but it is low quality and boring, it doesn't benefit the game. Just because it's extra doesn't mean it can't effect your overall opinion of the game.

I think they didnt even played the game.

"Who cares" Quests? I found them everywhere in Bethesda games but not in Yakuza because some of them where quite charming.

Outdated graphics? Look at Far Cry 3. That game looks outdated on console.

Pacing Problems? Yeah whatever.

Aselith

I think they didnt even played the game.

"Who cares" Quests? I found them everywhere in Bethesda games but not in Yakuza because some of them where quite charming.

Outdated graphics? Look at Far Cry 3. That game looks outdated on console.

Pacing Problems? Yeah whatever.

You played Yakuza 5 specifically or you mean Yakuza in general?

Also, quite a few people criticize Bethesda games for having throw away content. This isn't a complaint unique to Yakuza.

You played Yakuza 5 specifically or you mean Yakuza in general?

Also, quite a few people criticize Bethesda games for having throw away content. This isn't a complaint unique to Yakuza.

I played all of them besides those who are not avaible here and mean them in general.

Aselith

I played all of them besides those who are not avaible here and mean them in general.

Well, isn't it at least possible that quality of the additional content fell off significantly in this particular game and that is why it's a bullet point and he's not damning the series as a whole?

Tenrius

I think they are complaining about the quality. If you add more but it is low quality and boring, it doesn't benefit the game. Just because it's extra doesn't mean it can't effect your overall opinion of the game.

You certainly have a point, it just seemed that their problem was the quantity as well, from this: "Constantly interrupting his story with countless sub-quests as useless as wacky". Can't say for sure without being able to understand French though.

Well, isn't it at least possible that quality of the additional content fell off significantly in this particular game and that is why it's a bullet point and he's not damning the series as a whole?

It is possible, but judging by the Famitsu score and various other sources, it just sounds wrong.

You certainly have a point, it just seemed that their problem was the quantity as well, from this: "Constantly interrupting his story with countless sub-quests as useless as wacky". Can't say for sure without being able to understand French though.

It is possible, but judging by the Famitsu score and various other sources, it just sounds wrong.

Famitsu isn't exactly a beacon of unbiased and reliable game reviews.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

The subquests are something you go out and find. So its his own damned fault Id have to say.

He praises the game for having mini games and other activities, but complains about extra quests.

What a shitbird. Shining beacon of what game journalism / reviewer quality is these days

This is absolutely the case. Great art design. Terrible engine. Is this thing really a "new" engine? It seems to perform worse than the last one, without looking significantly better.

Also I agree that a pretty huge portion of the side content is downright dull. I still really enjoyed most of the game, but they've really taken the formula as far as it will go. Probably quite a bit farther than it should have, so good for them.

The subquests are something you go out and find. So its his own damned fault Id have to say.

There is a quite a bit of content that's separate from the main story thread that the player HAS to take part in. You can always do the bare minimum and then move back to the main story thread, but even the bare minimum seems to take an eternity. It absolutely destroys the pacing of the game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've enjoyed my fair share of Yakuza, but I don't see any problem with his criticisms

Pacing problems and pointless content shouldn't be excused because fans have come to expect it.

I mean the reviews aren't for people like that. They know what this game is and what to expect.

Also I agree that a pretty huge portion of the side content is downright dull. I still really enjoyed most of the game, but they've really taken the formula as far as it will go. Probably quite a bit farther than it should have, so good for them.

I've kinda felt that way for a while now. Couldn't even finish 4 and the only thing that has me interested in 5 is the Haruka sections, and even then I'm not really excited for it.

If there's a Yakuza 6 I can't see myself buying it. They really need to do something new at this point.

Gamekult.com Import Review

Too full of good ideas, Yakuza 5 tries to do better than the previous title, forgetting that the best is the enemy of the good. Constantly interrupting his story with countless sub-quests as useless as wacky, Nagoshi and his army are drowning in a rich "bouillon". Certainly, there is over a hundred hours of fun in terms of content, but the main game, which is a scripted fighting game is too soften to eventually float correctly, erasing any priority in tasks. The outdated graphics and game design also contribute to this feeling of never really succeed to get the full story, the narrative being between the thriller and the amusement park. We had fun with Yakuza 5, but this great funny and badly paced mess will not make you dream like the previous title. You can get hook to it, but dont get stung.

+ fight bears !
+ the starlet games career
+ still effective combat system
+ still charismatic characters
+ a ton of mini-games and other activities

- outdated graphics and game design
- pace problems on the main story

6/10

And gamekult does it again... you can add 2 points to the note if you want the score to be like the other publications.

Having wacky quests is part of yakuza culture, there is never too many because it expand on the "special" RGG world.

Torraz

Is there a store that sells alcohol that I can consume from my inventory when I want it? Currently playing shinada.

Just got my asian copy, 2 1/2 months after it got shipped from YesAsia, yay! Is there any kind of guide online for people that don't speak japanese? Would the game be playable for someone who finished all the other installments in the series (except PSP), or are there some instances where I absolutely need to be able to understand japanese?

Just got my asian copy, 2 1/2 months after it got shipped from YesAsia, yay! Is there any kind of guide online for people that don't speak japanese? Would the game be playable for someone who finished all the other installments in the series (except PSP), or are there some instances where I absolutely need to be able to understand japanese?

There isn't a translated walkthrough online yet, but you'll be fine stumbling through the game.

crinale

At the recent issue of Dengeki SEGA stated that Yakuza 5 broke the series' sales record in Japanese market. Good for them!

Coxy

There is still hope. It was six months after Yakuza 4 came out in Japan that it was announced for the west. It will probably be announced in the summer.

sega hasnt really announced anything for this year yet so yeah, they focused all attention on aliens :/

Top Bottom