• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

Frogstep

Hurricane Harvey has delayed my Kiwami experience! D:

I'm told that it may take as early as next week for delivery trucks to finally make their rounds. Fortunately for me I can continue my 100% crusade of Yakuza 0 while I wait.

Hope everyone is enjoying the game so far!

Someone make a thread!

Please don't. If you haven't played the game, we don't want your response. I'd hate to have to throw out the entire data set as useless because it was flooded by people trying to make a statement.

However, if you have played Kiwami, please fill it out. Once. Honestly. We love accurate data :)

Kinsei

Banned
I got a quick question about a Majima Anywhere email.

I got an email saying Majima went missing somewhere west of Shichifuku but when I went looking around the area I got a call which led me to the (awesome0 zombie Majima side quest. Is there still something to do in Shichifuku or was that email just part of the zombie majima side quest.

Haven't seen this posted yet. The previous mini survey about the announced Yakuza games has been replaced by this much more elaborate survey about Kiwami and future localisations.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaE21WJ-iKMNaV1HN9KFqP2xToutQQgfoCW5lsAoxsmGcWjw/viewform

Thanks for the heads up.

Opa-Pa

The survey is available in the drop down menu of the game on the PS4 itself too. I filled it myself after my first long session with the game.

I got a quick question about a Majima Anywhere email.

I got an email saying Majima went missing somewhere west of Shichifuku but when I went looking around the area I got a call which led me to the (awesome0 zombie Majima side quest. Is there still something to do in Shichifuku or was that email just part of the zombie majima side quest.

Thanks for the heads up.

Pretty sure they only lead you there to trigger the call.

Kaizer

Banned
Please don't. If you haven't played the game, we don't want your response. I'd hate to have to throw out the entire data set as useless because it was flooded by people trying to make a statement.

However, if you have played Kiwami, please fill it out. Once. Honestly. We love accurate data :)

Oh sure, cool! As someone currently 15 hours deep into Kiwami, I'll definitely make sure to fill it out. ^_^

dimmer

to do the body counter move, you can't have the block button held more than half a second or so.

it's not like the komaki knockback from Y3/4/5 where you can turtle and do the knockback. to do the body counter, try blocking just as you're about to be hit, then counter.

So thats how it is done. I came from Yakuza 5 (tiger dtop I think it was called) and thought this would be the same move. This is much more difficult.
Thanks everyone for the answers!

Kinsei

Banned
The survey is available in the drop down menu of the game on the PS4 itself too. I filled it myself after my first long session with the game.

Pretty sure they only lead you there to trigger the call.

Okay good. I was worried I missed something since it jumped to a different branch of the dragon skill tree.

Hopefully thats partially due to everyone experiencing an entirely new game and having more to say about it.

If I recall, in the Yakuza community thread they were commenting that Sega was impressed with Kiwami's pre-order numbers.
Yes I do remember that!

Since he is already here, maybe Sam can give us more insight as to how Yakuza 0 and Kiwami are doing in the west?

Aswitch

QgVYAM5.gif

I wonder how excessive the majima stuff is in this game. There's tons of trophies involving majima everywhere time.

It's a really fun mechanic that i thoroughly enjoyed when i played the japanese version. Really gives fan service to how popular Goro got throughout the series.

convo

The localization must be having a lot of fun with these games.
Majima going
going "heh heh i've been discovered!" exactly like a deku from Breath of the Wild and doing the hustle
is pretty damn funny.

Heartfyre

My copy finally dispatched from Amazon UK. No explanation about why it took three days extra to ship and now won't arrive until Monday, but whatever -- I'm getting my steelbook.

Looking forward to hitting the neon streets again!

When it comes to Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza, I can't lie. Will fill this out and pass it along to my friends who are playing Kiwami.

EDIT: Ohhh, the end of the survey. You cheeky guys :)

Opa-Pa

I'm in chapter 7 and suddenly I'm getting flashbacks of the parts of the original game where they didn't give you any main quest markers and you had to figure out where certain NPCs ran off to without a single lead... Exploring all of Kamurocho aimlessly... With mini loading times every time you changed screens...

Feels so good to be able to play the remake without a stupid guide, haha. I dreaded those parts in 1 and 2.

Also, the new remix of Unrest is very nice and smooth, although it's a bit odd than 0's sounds more like the original than this one.

I'm in chapter 7 and suddenly I'm getting flashbacks of the parts of the original game where they didn't give you any main quest markers and you had to figure out where certain NPCs ran off to without a single lead... Exploring all of Kamurocho aimlessly... With mini loading times every time you changed screens...

Feels so good to be able to play the remake without a stupid guide, haha. I dreaded those parts in 1 and 2.
Between the incredibly better loading times, the 60 fps and the ability to sprint, it makes it sooo much better.

That part really was not fun in the original.

Opa-Pa

How did you beat it? I'm still stuck there.

You have to unlock the
secret weapon shop inside the DVD rental store
, there you need to buy a new motor that's only available that way. It's pretty much impossible to win without it.

I don't remember the rest of the parts, but with that motor it should only take a few tries to figure it all out.

crimilde

Banned
I just had an encounter with
Zombie Majima
too haha. Nice nod to Dead Souls there. Also, Goro
mi is best hostess. Maxed her <3 out when we talked lmao.
This system is amazing.

xclk07

One question in the original Yakuza
when I walked around with Haruka I remember a meter that I filled by taking her out to do stuff and I really liked doing that.
However I'm now in Chapter 11
and this is my second time with her, and she doesn't mention wanting to do anything at all.
Is this just later and I forgot about it, or did they change that with Kiwami?

I would like to know this too... it looks like any of the Haruka requests are now only on premium adventure mode.

I'm in Ch. 7, went with her to karaoke, performed her song* and another, and no gauge, no difference, no nothing. There's a trophy for this, so it exists, but I can't find good info. on it... looks like only PA with this one now.

*HOLY SHIT!!!! What the hell was "My Life"?!?!?! After getting 900+ first try on every other song, this one is going to test me!

I would like to know this too... is Haruki's Trust meter now only in premium adventure mode? I'm in Ch. 7, went with her to karaoke, performed her song* and another, and no gauge, no difference, no nothing. There's a trophy for this, so it exists, but I can't find good info. on it.

*HOLY SHIT!!!! What the hell was "My Life"?!?!?! After getting 900+ first try on every other song, this one is going to test me!

Premium Adventure mode is correct. Fairly certain it was the last thing I did, and yeah the song is hard to hit the top score on. The timing is fairly tight, took me a few tries to get it on the Japanese version while having no issues on any other song.
Also, her gambling challenges are a real pain as well... as she tasks you with getting X number of points, but what she means is get X points profit, as if you lose a ton of cash, then get the allotted points amount for her trust challenge you'll still fail. So basically the easiest way to do the gambling challenges is to save before you begin, then reload if you don't get a decent win amount on your first try. Also, if cheat items for gambling is still a thing in this remake, save them for these trust challenges.

Audette

Just got my copy in from Amazon Canada (I hate them).

Loving it, been waiting 10 years for a good chance to jump into this series. And so far it's exactly what I wanted. I did the survey mentioned on the PS4 and played a few hours. Can't wait to finish the my shift tomorrow and really delve into this game for a good chunk of time.

You have to unlock the
, there you need to buy a new motor that's only available that way. It's pretty much impossible to win without it.

I don't remember the rest of the parts, but with that motor it should only take a few tries to figure it all out.

I have every part for the cars, my problems is either being too slow and getting smoked by all the other racers or being too fast and flying off of the track. There is no in between.

Also has anyone been able to unlock Dragon's Speed Reborn? It's pretty much the last thing I need to make the Dragon Style awesome, but I haven't gotten an email I haven't checked yet afaik.

So in combat can anyone tell me what to do when a powerful foe tries to recharge their health and gets a coloured glow around them?

Is there a way to prevent that?
I spent forever in chapter 3 fighting
Shimano
thanks to that.

OléGunner;247582127 said:
So in combat can anyone tell me what to do when a powerful foe tries to recharge their health and gets a coloured glow around them?

Is there a way to prevent that?
I spent forever in chapter 3 fighting
Shimano
thanks to that.

You have buy the ability in the soul skill grid. It's the blue one. Each style has a sphere you have to buy. Select the correct style according to the colour the boss is emitting. I didn't have it for chapter 3 and just pushed through. Wasn't easy.

aravuus

Speaking of that finisher thing, it's supposed to work the exact same way for all three normal stances, right? I seem to never get the prompt for it in Rush stance. Works every time in Brawler.

You have buy the ability in the soul skill grid. It's the blue one. Each style has a sphere you have to buy. Select the correct style according to the colour the boss is emitting. I didn't have it for chapter 3 and just pushed through. Wasn't easy.

So buy that ability for every style? Cool got it. Also I'm guessing I must have Heat to execute that too.

And yeah I spent a solid 20-25 mins on that fight, was a slog once he was on orange health bar.

Speaking of that finisher thing, it's supposed to work the exact same way for all three normal stances, right? I seem to never get the prompt for it in Rush stance. Works every time in Brawler.

Dude pulling off finishers in Rush style is hard, you gotta tap triangle so quick.
Was the same in Y0, I just used Rush against fast or armed enemies.

aravuus

OléGunner;247582601 said:
Dude pulling off finishers in Rush style is hard, you gotta tap triangle so quick.
Was the same in Y0, I just used Rush against fast or armed enemies.

No no, I meant the glowing enemy finisher that you gotta buy before you can use, the one you guys are talking about

No no, I meant the glowing enemy finisher that you gotta buy before you can use, the one you guys are talking about

Haha my bad! So yeah I'm pretty sure every finisher for that instance should be the same but having never used it, maybe I'm talking out my arse.

Normal Rush finishers are still tough though :p

Kurumi

I have 2 more upgrades to go for the Dragon of Dojima style but have no idea what else to do. Please help GAF. I just need to unlock Dragon's Speed Reborn before the final upgrade.

Did a cool Heat move with the Brawl style that's appearently triggered by grabbing a dude and then pressing triangle while another attacks? Kiryu threw the dude he was holding at the one attacking so that they headbutted each other in the air.

Don't remember this move from 0. Is it from any of the other games? I thought Kiwami only had recycled Heat moves.

Rad loading screen, up there with The Last of Us.

YakuzaKiwamiLoading.gif

so much better than 0's default ps4 one lol. Does it have a better save screen too? as in doesnt have to save twice and take forever(to impatient people)?

I suppose I could just check but don't wanna pop the game in until I'm done with 0

crimilde

Banned
so much better than 0's default ps4 one lol. Does it have a better save screen too? as in doesnt have to save twice and take forever(to impatient people)?

I suppose I could just check but don't wanna pop the game in until I'm done with 0

Yeah it still saves game data first, then system data.

I used that feedback form to tell them to localise Ishin.
That's never happening is it? X_X

Same here. I requested:
  • Localize Ishin and Kenzan (ok, Kenzan is never going to happen, but whatever)
  • Try to keep the original japanese songs from the original versions
  • Keep using whoever they were using to translate Yakuza 0 because they did an amazing job (not sure if Kiwami is that good, I am only a few hours in)

Did a cool Heat move with the Brawl style that's appearently triggered by grabbing a dude and then pressing triangle while another attacks? Kiryu threw the dude he was holding at the one attacking so that they headbutted each other in the air.

Don't remember this move from 0. Is it from any of the other games? I thought Kiwami only had recycled Heat moves.

Its not a new heat move, its definitely been in one of the previous games. But it definitely wasn't in 0 either.

There's an even better one in Yakuza 5 that requires you to do a very similar thing, but you need to also have a tube of glue in your inventory.

Naliem

Same here. I requested:
  • Localize Ishin and Kenzan (ok, Kenzan is never going to happen, but whatever)
  • Try to keep the original japanese songs from the original versions
  • Keep using whoever they were using to translate Yakuza 0 because they did an amazing job (not sure if Kiwami is that good, I am only a few hours in)
Kiwami's localization is just as good as 0's. I also requested Ishin :D

LeleSocho

Banned
You have to unlock the

You don't need to do that because i never knew about that secret shop and i've arrived to the last race (i can't manage to win that unfortunately... i think the solution is in this secret shop)
Anyway i'm on chapter 7 and i'm actually using the main missions as a break to all the side missions i'm doing lol... i'm at like 17-18 hours.

Top Bottom