• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

It's funny how rush is so underpowered but when it's 1v1 against a fast boss there's no better option seeing how you can eventually dodge out of being attacked so you don't get combod

It's funny how rush is so underpowered but when it's 1v1 against a fast boss there's no better option seeing how you can eventually dodge out of being attacked so you don't get combod

Rush to built heat and beast to do damage. Brass knuckles add some move variety to rush so there's that. Rush is the only option against majima when he has a bat. Not able to grab him anymore without being thrown off.

DJMicLuv

Haven't seen this posted yet. The previous mini survey about the announced Yakuza games has been replaced by this much more elaborate survey about Kiwami and future localisations.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaE21WJ-iKMNaV1HN9KFqP2xToutQQgfoCW5lsAoxsmGcWjw/viewform

Done, son*. I mentioned Kenzan and Ishin localisations but said, in general, they're doing a cracking job of bringing Yakuza outside of Japan and to keep up the great work.

* alternatively 'I did what I oughtta, daughter'.

Rush to built heat and beast to do damage. Brass knuckles add some move variety to rush so there's that. Rush is the only option against majima when he has a bat. Not able to grab him anymore without being thrown off.
Are there knuckles that don't deteriorate? I got the brass knuckles from a mission reward but I don't use weapons besides finishers if I can stun mofos.

sotojuan

I've reached a point I just avoid 90% of fights as they don't give me enough experience to be worth a damn seeing how I'm about to cross the threshold where every new upgrade is 85 points

Yeah I already avoid all fights but it's annoying how walking from say, Pocket Circuit to Purgatory entrance triggers 4 fights. It's annoying when trying to do substories or even the main story.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The last fight of chapter 3 got to me in game and in real life. I was ready to go to bed and figured "eh may as well finish this chapter"...30 minutes later into that fight (never died, probably should have and gone to bed), my wife comes out into the living room, gives the TV and me a dirty look then goes back to bed no words spoken. I ended up playing it super cautious only taking one or two jabs before dashing away when he looked vulnerable. Took forever to chip away at it like that but I was sick of getting knocked down and stomped constantly when, heaven forbid, I tried doing a full combo or something.

It was sad because during that sequence leading up to the fight I felt like I was getting the hang of the combat system and that fight demoralized me. I was heartened to read that I wasn't the only one who had trouble.

I'm glad I know this series goes places because woof that may have been a deal breaker.

I'm glad you beat that level but what happened with your wife after? Were you relegated to the couch for the night?

Are there knuckles that don't deteriorate? I got the brass knuckles from a mission reward but I don't use weapons besides finishers if I can stun mofos.

It wears out but I never really had money trouble and you get 2 heat actions while enemy is standing and another while they're on the ground. Was a easy win during the weapon tournaments for me.

Do they start giving you exponentially more points in the arena as you advance? You need like 25k to complete a whole branch of a side mission and my first tourney I ended with only like 240 points lmao.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Haven't seen this posted yet. The previous mini survey about the announced Yakuza games has been replaced by this much more elaborate survey about Kiwami and future localisations.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaE21WJ-iKMNaV1HN9KFqP2xToutQQgfoCW5lsAoxsmGcWjw/viewform

Long survey but I filled it out. In the section at the end where we could write what we liked I thanked the teams for their work on the games and said I was still hanging on to hope that Ishin and Kensan will get an english release.

-GJ-

Just started this after finishing Zero tonight. What the hell happened to Majima? Dude turned into an insane person.

Just started this after finishing Zero tonight. What the hell happened to Majima? Dude turned into an insane person.
You seem to have the same issue that many of us who played zero as their first game had.

Everybody else was used to insane majima so serious majima was weirder to them. For us though....

jdstorm

Banned
Yeah I already avoid all fights but it's annoying how walking from say, Pocket Circuit to Purgatory entrance triggers 4 fights. It's annoying when trying to do substories or even the main story.

You can get some accessories that reduce the amount of attention you draw. Unlocking sprint/unlimited sprint also helps a lot

sotojuan

You seem to have the same issue that many of us who played zero as their first game had.

Everybody else was used to insane majima so serious majima was weirder to them. For us though....

I thought Majima
would go crazy because of Makoto in 0 since they kept saying "you'll go crazy for that girl!" over and over. But he kinda just... decided to go crazy?

jorgeton

In my headcanon I blame it on drugs lol. All that bank he made in the 80's spent on some premium grade hookers and blow. Because, yeah, the shift is really jarring, even as a fan since Yakuza 3 I was wondering how they'd address his transformation from the guy we met in 0 to the lunatic we know today.

Kinsei

Banned
DIq5dQhW0AIUUb1.jpg

Fuck UFO catchers.

Aenima

I just brute force with Brawl counters. If majima has his health bars up to a green bar, it just takes me one Stamina royale untill his down.

I use this tactic basic against everething so far. Just switch styles if they are recovering, to deal that kiwami damage.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Re: Majima going "crazy"

He just decided to be himself, dudes.
He didn't lose his mind. He was "faking" his personality in order to be professional

Just finished my first ever Yakuza game (Yakuza 0) and the minute I closed it, I immediately bought Kiwami. I got fucking hooked man, can't wait to start this one. I knew almost nothing about the franchise, and I didn't even search for any Kiwami reviews, I don't know if the game is content heavy or not, I just had to support these releases. I hope the story continues to be this interesting.

sotojuan

Re: Majima going "crazy"

He just decided to be himself, dudes.
He didn't lose his mind. He was "faking" his personality in order to be professional

I think the problem is that IIRC they did not show any signs of this in 0. They showed that he
wanted to escape the Grand to be a yakuza again, not that he had a crazy side to him

So guys, help me out.

I played Yakuza 3&4 for only a little bit and dropped it fast back then.

Now I have finished 0 and Kiwami. I love it. I understand this series now.

I guess my question is, what do I do know? Wait for Kiwami 2 or continue with 3? I have all Yakuza games bought besides 2.

sotojuan

So guys, help me out.

I guess my question is, what do I do know? Wait for Kiwami 2 or continue with 3? I have all Yakuza games bought besides 2.

I asked a similar question in page 24, and someone told me to play 4 and 5 to be ready for 6. I think I'll go back to 2 when Kiwami 2 comes out and then 3.

SephLuis

I think the problem is that IIRC they did not show any signs of this in 0. They showed that he
wanted to escape the Grand to be a yakuza again, not that he had a crazy side to him

I feel that it's easier to accept if you played previous Yakuza titles (especially 4, since it's the first that talks about Majima's past). Also, I think they wanted to do a lot more with Nishitani, however, they probably had to cut that content for the final release.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Probably a trite topic by this point, but how are people who played Zero first finding this? Just as good? Better/worst?

jdstorm

Banned
How do I beat this Kazuto guy? Dodges everything and keeps shooting while dodging.

Lots of different ways. Make sure you have gear that helps against guns and open up some of the Anti gun abilities in the Skill tree. Beast or Rush style are probably your best bets.

Edit: so far i have played 5, 0 and Y1K (Kiwami)

Yakuza 0 caught me by suprise and is currently my GotY.(9/10) Y1K is a really good game, but compared to Y0 its just a tiny bit worse in most ways. 7/10

nOoblet16

Probably a trite topic by this point, but how are people who played Zero first finding this? Just as good? Better/worst?
I played Yakuza 1 like 70% of the way, then played Yakuza 4 like 10% of the way in. Fully compleated Zero and now playing this. I find the battle system in Kiwanis worse, the story is also not as engaging and lacks epic moments like in Yakuza 0. The boss fights are all just random dudes that pop up out of nowhere. In Yakuza 0 you knew that you are atleast fighting the 3 lieutenants and you fight Kuze like 5 times and it's amazing each time. The music is also worse imo and Majima everywhere doesn't seem to always work (haven't seen that dude in ages).

On chapter 4 at the minute and I found Zero to be more engaging. The story here hasn't so far been as good as Zero's, and that part with Shimano was really tedious. By this point in Zero quite a few characters had made a proper mark, yet here it feels more subdued.

sotojuan

0 is better but it's also 10~ years newer, so it's not a fair comparison in terms of writing and story (writers got more skilled over the years). Kiwami is still great.

For some reason I can't get the prompt for the Kiwami attacks to appear. I got the upgrade for the climax heat mode, I'm at full bar, I go into the appropriate style, but it never appears.

Finished the Rina substories! Really nice to see a yakuza game this progressive, especially coming from japan!

I always felt it was a bit lackluster and too traditional and one sided on some subjects, but here they did a really great job talking about
same sex relationships
, even calling out that you shouldn't put people in boxes and stereotypes

Peroroncino

For some reason I can't get the prompt for the Kiwami attacks to appear. I got the upgrade for the climax heat mode, I'm at full bar, I go into the appropriate style, but it never appears.

I'm gonna just quote myself here:

It doesn't need to be red climax heat, it can be normal blue one.

The reason you couldn't do it is because you didn't purchase that kiwami heat action, you can find it in Soul skill tree, all 3 need to be purchased separately, each one for each style.

for example, rush one:

21125687_1632175516844281_5108373242433049242_o.jpg

Larsa

As something I usually consider a throwaway aspect of these games, I gotta say I really enjoyed Rina's hostess substory. Nice to see a gay person not just be treated as a punchline to a joke for once.

edit: wow, that was some eerie timing with Kain-Nosgoth's post lol.

Oriel

So, um.....I guess Pocket Circuit Fighter has found crystal meth or something. He looks terrible. Nobody ages that much in 17 years!

Oriel

I think it's not as good. But still very good.

I like how Eurogamer described Kiwami as being essentially mega-DLC for 0. Only started this today and enjoying the game but I can definitely see why such a description would be used here. Not quite at the level of 0 but still good nonetheless.

So, um.....I guess Pocket Circuit Fighter has found crystal meth or something. He looks terrible. Nobody ages that much in 17 years!

i mean, he was already over 30 in yakuza 0.... of course he will look way older, not everybody is named kazuma kriyu (this guy never ages)

What are your guys's favorite heat move finishers in the game? mine is the Car one with Brawler Style. God damn is it brutal and satisfying. I remember using that in Yakuza 4 or 5 I think.

Also are there any weapons in the game with infinite durability?

Just beat it. All substories save Amon, and maxed out everything.

So, what's it like going back to the one that started it all? More or less what I expected. I had forgotten just how much the game throws at you, and just how much better told the story in Zero is by comparison. It's not really fair, outside of a tiny bit of new content the story in Kiwami is identical to the original. The new stuff is generally welcome, but the game still does suffer a bit from being the first in the series. It took Yakuza 2 to make me a fan back in the day, and I still have many of the same issues with Yakuza 1 as I did when I first played it so many years ago.

Spoilers for everything:

Even with the added scenes, Nishikiyama feels like a non entity for far too much of the game. It's crazy how with just a few scenes in Zero he has more characterization and you can empathize with him more than in the entirely of Kiwami. In fact all of Kiryu's family are missed opportunities in this game. A lot happens, but we get so little time with most of these people, it's kinda hard to care when they die. Yumi is great for her ONE real scene at the end of the game, but again there is just not enough.

It really is interesting going straight from the best told story in the series to what is arguably the worst told story in the series. Not that Kiwami has the worst overall story, but they were still figuring out how to translate a fun crazy crime drama to video game form, and it wouldn't be until their sophomore effort that everything clicked perfectly. And by Yakuza 0, they had awesome down to a science.

On the other hand there are quite a few scenes where you can see what the series will eventually become and they are GLORIOUS. I had forgotten just how hype the (Chapter 13)
final fight with Nishikiyama was. It's the first real shirtless men fighting in a rooftop/penthouse in the series, and it is still drama filled and well directed.

It's also so great to finally have the Japanese voices available for this story. The acting is still top notch.

Huh, this is strange. I got a copy in the mail that I intended to be a gift, but it's the regular plastic, even though I preordered on Amazon. What's the deal?

Skulldead

So guys, help me out.

Totally play 5, it's pretty different then zero and Kiwami, also pretty long if you want to do most of the side content. Can reach easy 100 hours mark for 90% completion. The other 10% could take another 50-60 hours ;). Depent how much time you want to invest.

Top Bottom