• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Zero: The Promised Land |Import OT| - Party like its 1988!

My copy is on the way! Hopefully it should be here in two weeks time, at the most.

It's a shame they blocked the streaming thing again. I love sharing videos to YouTube, I hate that the Ryu ga Gotoku devs seem to be so against it. :(

I was hoping to finish Ishin before this arrives, but it's looking unlikely (even though I am REALLY enjoying it, it's taking me ages because there are so many sub stories!)

I hope it sells well in Japan, anyway. Yakuza deserves to GET TO THE TOP!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My copy is on the way! Hopefully it should be here in two weeks time, at the most.

It's a shame they blocked the streaming thing again. I love sharing videos to YouTube, I hate that the Ryu ga Gotoku devs seem to be so against it. :(

I was hoping to finish Ishin before this arrives, but it's looking unlikely (even though I am REALLY enjoying it, it's taking me ages because there are so many sub stories!)

I hope it sells well in Japan, anyway. Yakuza deserves to GET TO THE TOP!

its a pretty obvious reason considering how story heavy the title is. will effect sales if people are just watching others play instead of buying the game themselves.

if one really is into streaming buy your own setup its not that expensive for decent equipment these days.

sega has been pretty good with promotional mats and gave the public a demo so its not like they are hiding anything.

its a pretty obvious reason considering how story heavy the title is.

if one really is into streaming buy your own setup its not that expensive for decent equipment these days.

Eh, I guess. Plenty of other story heavy titles don't bother blocking 80% of the game though. :( I don't really know enough about it to buy my own stuff, so it doesn't matter. I just want to show people how awesome the Yakuza games are!

its a pretty obvious reason considering how story heavy the title is. will effect sales if people are just watching others play instead of buying the game themselves.

sega has been pretty good with promotional mats and gave the public a demo so its not like they are hiding anything.

There are always a ton of streams out there anyways. Sega has absolutely nothing to lose by allowing streaming, and potentially has only more sales to gain. Anyone who wants to just watch the story can do so with zero effort. But the chance to sell people on the game who wouldnt normally but see their friend playing on a stream is very real.

Parakeetman

There are always a ton of streams out there anyways. Sega has absolutely nothing to lose by allowing streaming, and potentially has only more sales to gain. Anyone who wants to just watch the story can do so with zero effort. But the chance to sell people on the game who wouldnt normally but see their friend playing on a stream is very real.

doesnt matter their game their rules. as stated those really bothered by it can go buy their own gear its not that difficult to setup. more serious streamers are already doing that.

sides there is already a demo out that gives more than enough content to show what one can expect from the game. sega supports the title and fans more than most companies with thus series.

trust me im the last person you need to describe marketing to.

doesnt matter their game their rules. as stated those really bothered by it can go buy their own gear its not that difficult to setup. more serious streamers are already doing that.

sides there is already a demo out that gives more than enough content to show what one can expect from the game. sega supports the title and fans more than most companies with thus series.

trust me im the last person you need to describe marketing to.

We can lament the fact that Sony makes it an option for publishers at all. I wouldn't feel bad if Sony took a heavier hand at saving Japanese third parties from themselves.

Gacha-pin

what

haven't played 5 yet
It's just because of my weird preference. 5 is considered the best by many neogaf yakuza fans. You will like 5.

Just started but the game is already awesome, Tokyo feels more alive than ever before, and in glorious 1080p. Music is also rad as always in the series and battles are so responsive in 60fps.

I'm very fond of the boxing fighting style, so agile.

I didn't like that style in the demo. But once I learned how I should use the style and purchased some moves. It's my fav style.

out of common courtesy to others use spoiler tags ok? Since this is a prequel to everything do not assume that everyone in this thread has played the previous titles.

My apologies.

It sucks 1,2 HD is not available in English but there are lots of fan services for the returning players. If you can access 1 & 2, you should play them first.

Parakeetman

It's just because of my weird preference. 5 is considered the best by many neogaf yakuza fans. You will like 5.

I didn't like that style in the demo. But once I learned how I should use the style and purchased some moves. It's my fav style.

My apologies.

It sucks 1,2 HD is not available in English but there are lots of fan services for the returning players. If you can access 1 & 2, you should play them first.

At this point in time if SEGA ever wants to bring the HD collection to the West. they are going to need to do a PS4 port. Otherwise they would have to expect low sales. Thing is not too sure if they would consider doing that as unless its something they can also market domestically they are not exactly a company thats known to do something for the West alone esp not with this series with 5 being a miracle as is lol.

Its too bad the PS4 cant play PS3 digital titles since then they could just do a digital version of it. With how the Western market is all "anti previous gen" makes it hard for them to consider even doing a digital version of 1 & 2 HD on the PS3.

what

haven't played 5 yet

Btw can you edit that post of yours and either delete that specific line from the gachi-pin quote or add spoiler tags to it?

Varion

At the start of the first Majima part and
man, Kiryuu was slightly different to how he was in later games, but Majima's reeeeally different. The first scene of his part was amazing though, he's still awesome, just in a different way. Reeeally curious to see how he ends up becoming the guy we all know and love, though.

Really enjoying it so far, though. Being able to switch styles to deal with different situations and opponents is great, story's interesting, music's typical Yakuza (not a bad thing), and it's just great getting to see familiar faces from the first game again in very different situations.

Varion

Played for 7 hours and finished 2 chapters.

This is going to be a long game o_O
Spent about as long on the same amount too. I'm one of those rare people who doesn't usually mess with the minigames more than a token amount, that time was spent either advancing the plot directly or wandering around town a bit to see if I could trigger any subevents.

Kyolux

Asked in the demo thread, but didn't get an answer.

I'll be in Japan the first half of April, I'm planning of grabbing this and Ishin.. But does anybody has a store suggestion to look out for? That would have some good prices? Or would the prices be the same mostly everywhere?

Asked in the demo thread, but didn't get an answer.

I'll be in Japan the first half of April, I'm planning of grabbing this and Ishin.. But does anybody has a store suggestion to look out for? That would have some good prices? Or would the prices be the same mostly everywhere?
Geo, is probably your best bet, Geo is a video rental store that also sells videogames and they're pretty great with their prices.

Kyolux

Geo, is probably your best bet, Geo is a video rental store that also sells videogames and they're pretty great with their prices.

Thanks, I had to search a few different ways to get an idea of where that was in Google. (Would give me geographic coordinates instead)

So it's a chain? I guess I'll probably end up seeing one here or there then.

The nice thing is, the game has a lot to do besides the story, which is why I love importing. I played a few hours and honestly this is an amazing game. Looks beauitufl, combat system is vastly improved, boxing stance extremely underrated in here! It gets easier to play the imports in a state of detachment but it always bums me out missing the street chatter and various NPC dialogues.

I so fucking hope SEGA and Sony do the right thing here. I can live with Ishin never coming over but Zero just has to happen.

Then they need to stop making these so I can stop feeling so down every time a new one is announced!

KainXVIII

Gamersyde videos looks entertaining (and with near perfect AF!)

yakuza_zero_bathroom_z2u9a.png

How's the guide for Ishin? I remember using a JP guide with google translate or something for RGG 5.
KHHSubs guide is absolutely fantastic. Better than the rgg5 one. He even summarizes all the side missions too. I bet you could play through almost the entire thing without knowing a single word of Japanese.

Parakeetman

I still love how exp and $$$ is the same.

Granted its not like $$$ was a huge issue before in RGG games, its just interesting and works well now in RGG Zero with $$$ and Exp being pretty much the same thing. Not to mention fits the theme of the game lol

Kyolux

KHHSubs guide is absolutely fantastic. Better than the rgg5 one. He even summarizes all the side missions too. I bet you could play through almost the entire thing without knowing a single word of Japanese.

I understand between 40 and 70% of spoken dialog (maybe less than that for RGG since there's a lot of dialog), but yeah, written, I'm way too lazy to learn to read kanji.

Edit: By understand, I mean, I get the gist of what's being said, wouldn't be able to translate word for word.

I still love how exp and $$$ is the same.

Granted its not like $$$ was a huge issue before in RGG games, its just interesting and works well now in RGG Zero with $$$ and Exp being pretty much the same thing. Not to mention fits the theme of the game lol

Yakuza Souls.

KainXVIII

Yes, I'm having a blast playing it. That whole scene was amazing, I didn't want it to stop. Kiryu is such a bad ass.

I produce most, if not all of Gamersyde Japanese content.

Thanks again! But i wish that you use some different finishers sometimes (like grab a chair and press triangle when Kiryu glows blue) =)

Lernaean

Banned
I hate not remembering most of the little Japanese i used to know and thus being unable to play this game...
I so much hope it comes over west side.

ranmafan

Well my copy finally arrived after a bit of a strange delay. Hoping to get into it this week after finishing Ryu ga Gotoku 5 finally in a short time. Looking forward to it especially are hearing the impressions of the game,

putarorex

Got to Chapter 4 over this weekend. I am really enjoying the main plot and sub-stories so far. The mini games are great as well. I find the disco one pretty hard though. I have not got to the real estate or cabaret management mini games yet.

You get video booth videos of girls for some substories. With one, I rescued a girl and one of the rewards was a video booth video of a girl with the same name. The video was pretty tame--she was lounging in a chair in a bikini. Some of the videos feature the girls playing with big, long balloons. I am watching them purely for in-game achievement purposes.... I do not think the game would go over well with Anita Sarkeesian.

artsi

You get video booth videos of girls for some substories. With one, I rescued a girl and one of the rewards was a video booth video of a girl with the same name. The video was pretty tame--she was lounging in a chair in a bikini. Some of the videos feature the girls playing with big, long balloons. I am watching them purely for in-game achievement purposes.... I do not think the game would go over well with Anita Sarkeesian.

I don't understand gravure videos either when you got AV, but they actually buy DVD's full of that stuff in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravure_idol

Gutss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Qkun2BnzI

Back in the days my buddy had a massive track and we used to make the most stupid setups with it. Good times doing that and customizing our cars. Thought it was insanely cool that they added it to this game.

0ba44255-38ee-4d9f-b7e8-91830bf2c58b.jpg

Back in the days i got this one with a crappy stock engine and matching the anime every week its so addictive. lets hope in Zero 2 we got a bayblade mini game i will crack with that one lol.

takoyaki

Ok, so I'm somewhere in the middle of chapter 2 and the minigames got me hooked once again. I prefer the historical setting from Ishin and Kenzan, but 1988 is pretty fun as well. Love the money=EXP mechanic and playing Space Harrier gave me a serious Shenmue flashback. The first chapter is a great opening, things move pretty quickly and there's brawling, betrayal and Karaoke; Yup, it's a Yakuza game alright!

Two questions for others who've played the game:

Did you notice heavy tearing in the upper part of the screen while moving around Kamurocho? The game looks great and I don't really mind, it's just that I don't remember Ishin having that problem.

Other than that, did they make Ufo Catcher a lot easier? I've always sucked at it and now I was able to get three prizes on the first try.

Top Bottom