• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka Laylee first trailer, delayed to 2017

I could do without that music though.

9639746.jpg

Nev

Banned
Looks fantastic. There's a certain "Wind Waker HD effect" with all that bloom and realistic effects that don't fit with the cartoon style though. Please leave that ugly shit out, WW HD is absolutely hideous and looked miles worse than the gorgeous original.

looking good! Loving that they added those Donkey Kong Country Cart section in xD

also glad it got delayed. We dont need Q4 to be crammed, and it hurts these smaller games in my opinion.

Either way, with this and Sea of Thieves coming, Im excited as a Rare/Playtonic fan

maxcriden

2017? Depending on how late into 2017 they delay it, i hope Nintendo hands out some NX devkits, it would be a nice token of support to enable Playtonic to not have the game die on Wii U only (as far as Nintendo systems go).

E: Boy, that trailer looked awesome, great going Playtonic!

2017 is just Q1 for now, hopefully it makes it in that window. Fingers way crossed. I'm happy to wait regardless, though.

It could easily sell better on Wii U than on NX, the system has not been that ugly to independent/eshop games.
The problem is if the system could run it amd its worth the trouble.

I agree with your point that indies and eShop games have done well on Wii U, but I'm hoping for Nintendo's sake that everything that could sell well on Wii U, sells even better on NX.

Dragun619

Official Playtonic YouTube link:

https://youtu.be/e1gxLvbX3Ow

Yooka-Laylee New PS4 Gameplay - Everything You Need To Know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A99-IYExCHA

Playtonic on Yooka-Laylee Progress and Its New 2017 Release Window | Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLT2FvO1ybU&feature=youtu.be&a

Damn, OP needs to replace his link with these.

As for the game, yo, that definitely captured your classic traditional platformer.

Shoot, kinda looking forward to playing it.

Looks fantastic. There's a certain "Wind Waker HD" effect with all that bloom and realistic effects that don't fit with the cartoon style though. Please leave that ugly shit out, WW HD is absolutely hideous and looked miles worse than the gorgeous original.

Bloom is a stylistic effect too, not a necessarily "realistic" one.

BasilZero

Omg

This looks so great and brings me nostalgic feelings especially at that logo at the start!

Getting this for sure on PC.

Tempted to get it day 1 too.

maxcriden

Man that looks great. I'm happily surprised. Hope they can get the frame rate to a solid 60 by release, though.

There's a 60 fps vid link upthread-- did you mean there were frame drops? Just curious if there were since I'm usually oblivious to that kinda thing.

So heres something I didn't realize watching this... almost all (if not all) of the footage from this is just from the first two levels.

Holy shit those are big levels! According to the Eurogamer video they feel very dense and the levels actually get bigger once you get certain collectables so you'll have reason to go back and play old levels.

Holy cow this game looks good I want it so badly now July can't get here soon enough so I can play around with that Toybox mode!

G0523

This looks great! It's everything that should be in a Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor. Plus, minecart levels! Adding in that DKC extra is a nice touch. Sucks it got delayed but I'm sure it'll be worth it. The music and sound are in top form too.

I'm so happy. Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite game and this looked, sounded, and felt exactly like what I've been waiting for since Tooie came out. I seriously teared up a little bit.

Hold me GAF

Shin-Ra

There's a certain "Wind Waker HD effect" with all that bloom and realistic effects that don't fit with the cartoon style though. Please leave that ugly shit out, WW HD is absolutely hideous and looked miles worse than the gorgeous original.
I strongly disagree with this assessment.

Tadaima

Ah, was really hoping they'd go for a Banjo-Kazooie-style of smaller, compacted worlds rather than needlessly large and sparse worlds that we saw in Tooie :(

I liked Tooie, but it would have been so much better with smaller words.

Man that looks great. I'm happily surprised. Hope they can get the frame rate to a solid 60 by release, though.

There's a 60 fps vid link upthread-- did you mean there were frame drops? Just curious if there were since I'm usually oblivious to that kinda thing.

I have no idea whether there were skipped frames, but it definitely felt janky to watch. Anything with such a high movement speed (as this seems to be going for) really isn't going to be a nice experience at 30 fps.

Tankard

It's so clear when guys are passionate speaking about the game, so glad i backed this one and decided not to back that other project.

Ah, was really hoping they'd go for a Banjo-Kazooie-style of smaller, compacted worlds rather than needlessly large and sparse worlds that we saw in Tooie :(

I liked Tooie, but it would have been so much better with smaller words.

It does both actually. The Edge article explains it well.

maxcriden

Hoping they nail down performance on consoles. The fact that it's Unity continues to worry me since we've yet to see a single Unity game with visuals this complex run well on consoles (or heck, even the PC, really). Hoping all of the latest Unity updates will have made a difference here.

Are you expecting 60 fps to be a reasonable possibility for PS/X/Wii U?

Game looks amazing. I'm getting all the old-school warm 'n fuzzies from it. DID YOU SEE THE MINECART SECTION!!!

Also, kudos on them for taking a jab at themselves for Nuts and Bolts.

maxcriden

I have no idea whether there were skipped frames, but it definitely felt janky to watch. Anything with such a high movement speed (as this seems to be going for) really isn't going to be a nice experience at 30 fps.

Was that jankiness present in the 60 fps trailer as well? Just curious. Though it might be something they're still polishing.

Looks incredible.

I want to play this on Wii U because it... Feels right, if you know what I mean. Any reason to believe that the Wii U version will be substantially inferior to the PS4 / X1 versions?

Alpha_eX

Only issue with this is that they've made a carbon copy of Banjo Kazooie, without the characters. It feels like a rip off but it isn't, it's a weird feeling.

I'm all over this game, but it just feels like a rehash right down to the logo. I'm sure it will be lots of fun, but.. It's weird, it's like making a sequel to Mario but swapping out the characters with a cast looking slightly different.

Top Bottom