• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: DriveClub not delayed for VR & will not have VR mode

Interesting to get confirmation that a VR element of DriveClub was even produced

Oh and Yosh? If VR isn't why it's being delayed, How about you know maybe an update?

Maybe DriveClub VR will be a similar release to Motorstorm 3D Rift.

You really have to tune alot of things for VR. Reworking the entire game for it would be a lot of effort for such a small userbase like the VR headset.

BigDug13

So what the fuck is going on then?

I tried this game out last year and there was *nothing* wrong with the visuals. Certainly would be the best looking next-gen driving game on the market even as it was.

I think I'm fully onboard the "if the game doesn't come out at 60fps at this point from all these delays, I'll be disappointed" train.

A locked 30fps experience after all this time for a genre begging for 60fps I think would be a huge disappointment from a game that was supposed to make launch and is getting delayed nearly a full year.

Seanspeed

Banned
For you, no.
Huh? I mean in general. We'll never truly know the answer, but seriously, will the game be that significantly improved that it justifies holding out on PS4 owners for so long? What could have been so bad that it necessitated such a delay?

Is a half a year or even more really worth waiting for some minor graphical improvements? Again, this game already looked fantastic before.

I'm definitely expecting 60fps now, though. Its really the only thing that could make me feel this kind of wait is justified.

That's a shame, and also not. While is was exciting to think of it in VR, its original looks and play seemed great. They no doubt have a different driving game in mind for VR. I guess that means you'll probably see drive club at e3

As far as VR and driving games go, it is possible, but a lot of complaints are with the rate of movement and lack of feeling inertia from turns that your mind expects feedback from via vestibular feedback. Project cars is going to be in VR likely for the ps4. We'll have to see how that does
Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. I was wondering if Shu would just get similarly sick from simply driving a real car at 150+ MPH. lol

If this is true, I would think it'd affect all kinds of simulations, from driving to flight. I wonder if it's something players could just adapt to, kinda like they adapted to super-fast strafing in FPS games, and other "unnatural" movements.

jaypah

Motion sickness? Difficulty? Fucking challenge accepted! I WANT virtual reality to break me. No simulation has so far and I welcome the idea. Watching some of the OR reaction vids pretty much sold me on the idea of rebuilding my PC and jumping in.

syko de4d

"It's kind of difficult and sickening,"

Was Driveclub not 30fps before it´s delay?? No wonder it makes you sick then, such a fast game should maybe run with 75-90fps for low persistence mode.

I have a feeling it has to do with the social features. I just hope they aren't stripping them out for a more SP oriented racer because I will have no interest in the game then.

meanspartan

So the game was delayed a couple weeks before launch, still without a release date to speak of, and he had nothing to say on that front? Ps4 exclusive schedule is looking pretty barren after Infamous. They can't even at least say summer?

Massa

Huh? I mean in general. We'll never truly know the answer, but seriously, will the game be that significantly improved that it justifies holding out on PS4 owners for so long? What could have been so bad that it necessitated such a delay?

Is a half a year or even more really worth waiting for some minor graphical improvements? Again, this game already looked fantastic before.

I'm definitely expecting 60fps now, though. Its really the only thing that could make me feel this kind of wait is justified.

They're not holding out on PS4 owners, they're working on their game and when it's done it will be released. You're making some wild assumptions about what they're working on now.

Maybe DriveClub VR will be a similar release to Motorstorm 3D Rift.

You really have to tune alot of things for VR. Reworking the entire game for it would be a lot of effort for such a small userbase like the VR headset.

Well if you want to be sure the userbase is (and stays) small, don't bother making enticing games for it.

As others have pointed out, racing enthusiasts are perhaps one of the most likely groups of gamers to buy expensive peripherals. In order to make something a succes, you just have to go all out and invest in it. A VR DLC/patch or VR version for DriveClub would be an excellent decision imo.

So can we finally put that rumoured VR/DC connection to rest? Where did that come from anyway?

I believe two of the staff at Evolution were rumoured to be spearheading the VR movement from within Sony. I seem to recall they were connected to the VR tech patents Sony applied for.

http://www.reddit.com/user/PS4VR

"Drive Club will be a traditional game but will also have a dedicated VR component with pared back but nevertheless very impressive graphics. According to my source, Sony feels that while these known franchises are what will drive gamers to first make the leap over to VR, entirely unique and engaging experiences are what will demonstrate to gamers what VR offers over traditional gaming."

Sounds Leggos.

The game does need polish thoo, didn't spark much interest in E3.

So did Shuhei actually say there will be no VR mode for Driveclub? I agree that after reading the article it seems a bit unlikely, but on the other hand Evolution has clearly devoted time to this.

"There's a rumor about the reason of the pushback of Driveclub was to make it Morpheus compatible...that's totally untrue," Yoshida said.

Right now, Evolution Studio is "not working on Morpheus at all," and is instead putting "all the effort" into finishing the game.

All this says it's being delayed for extra polish. You could interpret the 'right now' as meaning that they already worked on incorporating a VR core into the game or that they will after release, they are just not doing so now.

So did Shuhei actually say there will be no VR mode for Driveclub? I agree that after reading the article it seems a bit unlikely, but on the other hand Evolution has clearly devoted time to this.

All this says it's being delayed for extra polish. You could interpret the 'right now' as meaning that they already worked on incorporating a VR core into the game or that they will after release, they are just not doing so now.
Based on those two quotes, he could be saying the VR mode was locked down months ago. lol

Espada

Man, the development of this game sounds troubled. We still don't have a release date, we've stopped receiving media for this game, and we keep hearing rumblings of ssomething over there.

Maybe they're completely revising the framework of the game? I heard the game wasn't too well received at trade shows.

Top Bottom