• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Team ICO’s PS3 game will be shown “soon”

AranhaHunter said:
No matter what, I don't think it's gonna be as good or as epic as SOTC, it's like Pulp Fiction from QT, all his other movies are good or even great like Kill Bill and Death Proof, but neither can touch the awesomeness of Pulp Fiction.
Death Proof sucked. Also, Fumito Ueda is a genius who makes brilliantly original games and not a creepy virgin foot fetishist who is only capable of making stale pomo pastiche.

I really hope their next game is difficult. Although ICO had your straightfoward platforming and SotC had next to no platforming, save for a few areas, I want the game to be hard.

Issun23

ICO was a first. Most of the team members had never worked on a video game before. Shadow of the Colossus took everything from ICO and made it better. It was a different game but it was the same as ICO in many ways. Why would the third game fail to live up to its predecessors when the creators have the same freedom and priviliges they had in the past, and the gained knowledge of eight years? Now they also have Sony's full backing because they proved they can make a good game which puts the company under the light of critical acclaim.

Danielsan

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I really hope their next game is difficult. Although ICO had your straightfoward platforming and SotC had next to no platforming, save for a few areas, I want the game to be hard.
Did you even play SotC? Or do you simply ignore the fact that the Colossi are huge moving platform sections?

ghibli99

snorggy said:
yeah.gif
LOL! That's awesome.

AranhaHunter said:
No matter what, I don't think it's gonna be as good or as epic as SOTC, it's like Pulp Fiction from QT, all his other movies are good or even great like Kill Bill and Death Proof, but neither can touch the awesomeness of Pulp Fiction.

That's some brilliant reasoning there.

fushi

ghibli99 said:
For non-news, this got me pretty damned excited!

How'd Ico and SOTC sell? I know GAF loves them, but how'd they do in Japan, US and other regions?
ICO sold like 700 000 worldwide and SotC probably two or three times more. They're decent sellers, actually.

Malvolio said:
This game is the reason I own a PS3. I pretend I'm enjoying every other game I've played when really they are just ways to kill time until this game is out. Well, every game aside from Ico and SotC of course.

Wow. I was going to post something similar.

Danielsan said:
Did you even play SotC? Or do you simply ignore the fact that the Colossi are huge moving platform sections?

Yes, you're right. I'm actually replaying the game right now on my PS3. About to start on the collosus where you scare it off with the fire. What I meant was environmental platforming. The collosi fights were fun and sweet, but most were short, didn't make the wonderful experience last very long.

I do like the collosus fight where you had to jump from pillar to pillar. Now that was fun!

rhino4evr

I have a feeling that this title will be the most HYPED title on PS3 for quite a while. Massive expectations can only lead to disappointments.

Danielsan

rhino4evr said:
I have a feeling that this title will be the most HYPED title on PS3 for quite a while. Massive expectations can only lead to disappointments.
True, that said, SotC exceeded my tremendous expectations.

Dachande

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Yes, you're right. I'm actually replaying the game right now on my PS3. About to start on the collosus where you scare it off with the fire. What I meant was environmental platforming. The collosi fights were fun and sweet, but most were short, didn't make the wonderful experience last very long.

I do like the collosus fight where you had to jump from pillar to pillar. Now that was fun!

Yeah, this is definitely true. If there's one thing I could change about SotC, it'd be to add more environmental platformy sections here and there to break it up a little more.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
The collosi fights were fun and sweet, but most were short, didn't make the wonderful experience last very long.

There was gameplay in between colossus fights that involved more than riding your horse from point A to point B? I must have missed it.

In other words, the colossi battles were the meat of the game and just about every one of them features platforming prominently.

AAK

Actually after reading the article, I don't think he literally meant soon. I think he just passively said "soon" as way to say that the game will eventually be revealed some time, not necessarily within the year. And since Ueda himself said that major production on the game hasn't started yet, I'm beginning to think this will be shown at TGS 09 not next month.

But we'll wait and see. I'd be glad to be proven wrong. I'm just not gonna get my hopes up again.

Issun23

AAK said:
Actually after reading the article, I don't think he literally meant soon. I think he just passively said "soon" as way to say that the game will eventually be revealed some time, not necessarily within the year. And since Ueda himself said that major production on the game hasn't started yet, I'm beginning to think this will be shown at TGS 09 not next month.

But we'll wait and see. I'd be glad to be proven wrong. I'm just not gonna get my hopes up again.

Ueda just said the game's not at critical stage yet. If they started working right after Shadow of the Colossus, full production started months ago.

raviolico

AAK said:

actually after reading your post i bet your bottles are always half empty... ;-)
but yeah, Yoshida sounds a little bit forced to say something in the vein of "soon", "near future" etc. maybe the good man simply doesn`t know - yet.

AAK said:
I'm just not gonna get my hopes up again.

i always try and fail. :lol

Acid08

Banned
I hope this is another game that takes place in the Ico/SotC world but either maybe a prequel to SotC or takes place sometime in the future from Ico.

Dever

Banned
Acid08 said:
I hope this is another game that takes place in the Ico/SotC world but either maybe a prequel to SotC or takes place sometime in the future from Ico.

Well they did call it ICO 3 when they released the first screen so...

Issun23

Dever said:
Well they did call it ICO 3 when they released the first screen so...

It was called ICO 3 by the crazy fan who found the careers page had been updated with that screen. It's supposed to mean something like Team ICO Game 3. A codename of sorts.

That same crazy fan still checks that page every single day hoping they put up a new picture or change something. :lol

rhino4evr

Danielsan said:
True, that said, SotC exceeded my tremendous expectations.

Yeah, but Ico was a bit of a flash in the pan for the most part. I don't think everyone thought they would capture lightning again...of course instead they created one of the most memorable PS2 titles on a system with many...so the expectations on a third masterpiece are quite high, but are bound to cause major disappointment.

I cry a little inside when I remeber that my PS3 is not backwards compatible....SotC is forever lost until they release it on PSN (pray). The last game I (re)played on my PS2 before I sold it was Ico. Had to let it go with the fondest of memories.

Sorry I wasn't behind the computer (left work like 4 hours ago and I've just arrived home).

So :
Mario 64
Super Mario 3
Zelda 3
Shenmue
Street Fighter III 3rd strike
Shadow of the Colossus
Another World
Soul Calibur
Tetris
Panzer Dragoon Saga
ICO
RE 4
... (ok like 2 minutesfor these so maybe some are not really)

But I can't remember a lot of old games... and I don't want to spend a lot of time for this.

But you get my idea. It's just that saying only 2 true masterpieces in videogames is very minimalist (IMO)

Anyway I can't wait for this game to be unveil.

Pistolero

Great taste. I might add Landstalker to that list, along with Super Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, Sim City, Sega Rally, Flashback...
But most of the titles you came up with helped make me love videogames...

Pistolero

WrikaWrek said:
Hope they have more resources, a small team like they had won't make it this gen imo.

Yep, they don't know they're working on a PS3 title. Last time I checked, they had 7 people, a janitor, and a 5000 dollar budget to make it happen. They don't have the internet so it's kind difficult for them to be enlighted by folks as you... :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Well, there's something to look forward to for TGS. Crossing fingers now... wait, I can't play Castle Crashers with my fingers crossed...

andycapps

WrikaWrek said:
Hope they have more resources, a small team like they had won't make it this gen imo.

Most likely are using tech from Sony's Worldwide Studios and putting their spin on it. Doubt they're trying to develop everything from the ground up. Not sure why Sony would so much into Sony's Edge program and their Worldwide Studios if they were just going to reinvent the wheel for every game..

sammy

Jason's Ultimatum said:
SotC had next to no platforming, save for a few areas, I want the game to be hard.

come back when you've launched yourself from #3's sword tip to the top of his head in the hard time attack.

yes though, i would love more areas like #13's pillars

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
GameGamer said:
Do people understand this scene when they use this?
Now that you mention, where is that scene from? It's clear it's from a movie I should have watched already, but whenever I see the gif I wonder.

andycapps said:
Most likely are using tech from Sony's Worldwide Studios and putting their spin on it. Doubt they're trying to develop everything from the ground up.
Like they did with the last two games? Lest we forget that the PS2 was once considered a hard platform to work on too. The way Sony execs have talked about the game, to me sounds like have been doing research and development up until recently (references to the critical/pre-production stage).

They're a super smart team, I'm sure they're working on a lot of their own stuff. Despite that Phil's legacy was to get SCE studios to work together. Wouldn't it be amazing if Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and the Japan Studio were all pooling research for their own games as one entity? Maybe the language barrier is too big for that.

McLovin

Duderz said:
More like ICO, less like SotC, please.
Why not both? ICO type game with SotC bosses :)**drool***
GameGamer said:
Do people understand this scene when they use this?
Yeah tell me about it.. people have been using it allot recently and I haven't seen it used properly at all :/

Top Bottom