• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You just bought a new game and it's ready to play..... you do this...

What prep and research do you do before playing?

• I dive right in and figure out things myself

Votes: 156 86.7%
  • I did a bit of research (quickly skimming gun or class guides) and now dive in

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I did a lot of prep first (detailed level up strategies, map layouts, glitches, shortcuts etc...)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

lachesis

I can't honestly tell when was last time I was really ready to dive in right after purchase.
I have too many backlogs that I'd like to get to, I actually have several games still in its shrink wrap... and I don't normally jump onto a new game in the middle of playing a game.

I'm currently working on Persona 3 FES for the first time - and will probably take me another 80 hours to finish. But Metroid Dread is coming out tomorrow. \
I will probably get the Metroid tomorrow - but not sure when I will open it up.

But when I do play a new game - I tend to go w/o any guide for a bit. If I get the hang of it on the first few sessions - I just go along with it. But if I feel like I'm missing out - I seek out some strategies and all.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Missing this option OP.

29c.jpg

Rayderism

Any research I might do on a game is done BEFORE I buy it. Once I buy it, I play the game. Any further "research" would be something like getting stuck and looking up the solution online.

mxbison

I just start playing.

These "I bought game x, what do I need to know?" questions have always been crazy to me. Like asking what happens in a movie you're about to watch.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I just start playing.

These "I bought game x, what do I need to know?" questions have always been crazy to me. Like asking what happens in a movie you're about to watch.
I think its a budget thing. I bet theres a decent chunk of folks who only buy one game every so
Often, so in order to get the most value out of it, they do research to make sure they are “playing it right”

Top Bottom