• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite hero and favorite party member in a JRPG

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
For hero, it's gotta be:

char_Claude.jpg

Claude C. Kenni, Star Ocean 2. As much as I love a "heroic hero", Claude's normaldude status made his game a really unique experience. His position as an Earthling from our future (which is implied to be pretty similar to our society, only more technologically advanced) stranded on a fantasy world was a nice way to juxtapose him to the player, who is also, in a way, a normal human being visiting a fantasy world. He knows about things the other characters don't, things like Heraldry are alien to him, he just wants to go home. He does end up fighting for justice in the end, like most RPG protags do, but the way he gets there, where he's from, and his position in the world all make him a character that not only stands out from other leads, but one that is easy to relate to. He is also apparently a huge gamer.

For side character, I'd say Dias Flac, from the same game. But I don't want to choose the same game twice, so I'll go with:

Cid Highwind, FF7. He's got a swearing problem that serves as a vehicle for humor. He's obviously of the Dragoon archetype, but carries the trope in his own unique way. He's a jaded 30 something who's given up on his dreams, and his outlook on life reflects this. Cid, unlike Barret, the other middle-aged character of the party, is not a starry eyed romantic, nor does he fulfill the cool and aloof role - that goes to Vincent. He's a unique character in an already unique fantasy setting for the time, and he's always good for a laugh. He's also part of my Dream Team of Cloud - Barret - Cid, and I used him in my first time through the game with my team of Cloud - Vincent - Cid.

Hero:
Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia
500px-Yuri_Lowell.jpg

Let's get him out of the way, everyone loves Yuri.

Another ones that are worth mentioning: Estelle Bright from TitS and Adol from the Ys series.

Party Member:
Princess from Etrian Odyssey III
princess-620x.jpg

The best support class of all time, even if it's kinda sad how the Monk outplays her at her own job haha.

Santiako

Hero:

RedRBArtwork.PNG

Red, from Pokémon Red. Silent protagonist that somehows manages to be a badass.

Party Member:

20110731123843!Goombella.jpg

Goombella, from Paper Mario. Lovely character and design.

vypek

I'm partial to Chloe Valens from Tales of Legendia as party member. I'm not sure if she can count as a hero but she is playable.

Parfait

It's pretty hard for me to pick a favorite hero other than Claude(Crawd, Clawd, Clawd, Cloud) that isn't a silent protag. I love the Star Ocean series, but I can admit the main protags have been pretty lacking compared to him.

Party member's even harder because there's so many great ones. I'll just go with:

SWTubh5.jpg

Maria Traydor. Smart, one of my favorite characters in Star Ocean 3, wears some amazing clothes, cute, great english and japanese VA, amazing in battle (tied for second with Mirage to Souffle/Peppita being #1), all around one of my favorite characters in any game, much less just RPGs.

JediLink

I've gotta say, I definitely have a soft spot for Goombella from Paper Mario: TTYD as the best party member. Not really sure about hero.

EDIT: Oh, and if Solaire can count as a party member then I have to give a special shoutout to him too. Praise the Sun!

The FF6 hero is debatable, but if there is one it's likely Terra.
She has interesting character growth and crazy powers and I love her to pieces.

Party member is BlackRose from the original .hack games.
She's basically a second hero and even got her own spinoff series of books to flesh her character out further than the main hero. Powerful and brash and I've always loved her design.

It's so difficult to pick one for each category. I'm ignoring a lot of my favorite JRPGs. :O

192425-balthier.jpg

Balthier - FFXII

So suave, so debonair, has a sexy cat lady sidekick.

1160564633.jpg

Lenneth Valkyrie: Valkyrie Profile

Badass, don't take no shit, independent Goddess who don't need no man.

Hero: Luke Fon Fabre: Tales of the Abyss: Yeas he's a spoiled, rich kid asshole and that's the exact reason I love him as a hero.

6Ue00um.png

Party Member: Pip: Chrono Cross: Because of he ability to evolve and change his entire make-up in the game is why I like him so much.

YrVUt2C.gif

Hero:

DQIIIBOX--article_image.jpg

Whether you know Dragon Quest III's protagonist as Roto, Loto, or Erdrick, this ancestor of Dragon Quest I & II's heroes is legendary.

Party Member:

The aptly named "Deathblow Georg", keeper of a permanent Killer Rune and lover of cheesecake. My Suikoden V party never felt complete unless he was in it.

NineOverSeven

Neo Member
Hero:

People have already posted Zidane, who is a very close second for me so went with Tidus. A lot of people find him whiny but I found him having a reasonable reaction to being kicked into a unfamiliar world all on his own.

Party member:

He's called Brosuke for a reason.

Ness and Lucas from the Mother series are probably my favorite main characters.
Hahah, yep, I agree. The Demi-Fiend from SMT Nocturne is up there for me, too.

As for my favorite party member? Well, I dunno, but I gotta give Duster from Mother 3 a mention.

Maybe it's because he's my favorite character in the series, but I just really like what he could do. He's a strong physical attacker, but he shines in being a hindrance to enemies, particularly being a huge help against bosses. Being able to lower the enemy's stats or inflict certain status effects without wasting PP is really cool.

But I just really like the character, I guess. I love how he's the second fastest in the team despite having a limp. What a guy!

Hero: Chaz Ashley from Phantasy Star IV. He starts out as a sidekick to the bounty hunter Alys, who
dies during the course of the game
. After the first mission, she starts calling him partner, and during the adventures, Chaz overcomes his still existing childishness, inexperience and other flaws, making him one of the few JRPG main heroes I know that do have actual character development.

Party member: Bo from Breath of Fire. He's a calm and smart guy all around, and is super badass early game when you get him first, because he has a variety of spells that help out a lot. And even tho he doesn't get any new spells, even later in the game, his damage output is just insane (although he's pretty squishy of course). He also is in most of the fusions that Karn uses, so he has uses beyond being a glass cannon.

Top Bottom