• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favourite Female Character Designs in Gaming?

Van Bur3n

Oops, I accidentally clicked in this thread mistaking it for the other one and couldn't tell the difference from the posts.

Ravelle

zMvNbvs.jpg

Evie's suit from AC:Syndicate was super stylish.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Other thread was locked while I was putting this together but I'll be damned if I'm letting it go to waste.

Oh don't be mistaken, they definitely used stripper reference. Specifically with the pole weapons....:
9c4eae880132b8ae8a87cbbde2668445.gif

This is one of those (many and numerous) cases where your, excuse my language, Western ignorance shows through once again.

1S3aZEJ.gif

This is called the monkey staff, because the performance is based on folkloric depictions of Sun Wu Kong, who could stand on his staff.

MmNrIe7.gif

It is a technique that occasionally finds its way into wuxia films (though not very common) and is referenced in games with staff weapons.

r7PXZYP.gif

And spears are actually very similar to staffs in form and function so it's no surprise when spear users get it too.

M1KzCAL.gif

It was even referenced once in The Matrix during the famous Burly Brawl.

Does 2B's spear moves incorporate some element of Western pole dancing? Sure. She's designed to be sexy and modern pole dancing is synonymous with sex. But the spear and staff are both ancient martial weapons; their associated mythology and forms far predate pole dancing and bald headed monks were dancing on poles before America was even a country

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Aqua's design is pretty excellent.

I quite like Garnet from Final Fantasy IX. Very simple and elegant.

Gravity Daze - Kat
Baiken - Guilty Gear

Excellent work, Juniors.

Other thread was locked while I was putting this together but I'll be damned if I'm letting it go to waste.

This is one of those (many and numerous) cases where your, excuse my language, Western ignorance shows through once again.

This is called the monkey staff, because the performance is based on folkloric depictions of Sun Wu Kong, who could stand on his staff.

It is a technique that occasionally finds its way into wuxia films (though not very common) and is referenced in games with staff weapons.

And spears are actually very similar to staffs in form and function so it's no surprise when spear users get it too.

Does 2B's spear moves incorporate some element of Western pole dancing? Sure. She's designed to be sexy and modern pole dancing is synonymous with sex. But the spear and staff are both martial weapons; their associated mythology and forms far predate pole dancing and the bald headed monks were dancing on poles before America was even a country
Wow. That's pretty cool. Maybe if more people took the time to learn about other people culture rather than make judgments based on the media it produce, the world would be a much better place.

1S3aZEJ.gif

MmNrIe7.gif

r7PXZYP.gif

M1KzCAL.gif

Does 2B's spear moves incorporate some element of Western pole dancing? Sure. She's designed to be sexy and modern pole dancing is synonymous with sex. But the spear and staff are both ancient martial weapons; their associated mythology and forms far predate pole dancing and bald headed monks were dancing on poles before America was even a country

Thanks, this is amazing.

1S3aZEJ.gif

MmNrIe7.gif

r7PXZYP.gif

M1KzCAL.gif

This thread is turning into another FLCL thread. Some pretty hardcore self projection from Crossing Eden.

Oops, I accidentally clicked in this thread mistaking it for the other one and couldn't tell the difference from the posts.

What a contribution!

1S3aZEJ.gif

MmNrIe7.gif

r7PXZYP.gif

M1KzCAL.gif

Yeah no (maybe partially because of her attires) that look a lot more like pole dancing than staff spin.

Source: am not American; moderately familiar with shaolin staff technique.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

1S3aZEJ.gif

MmNrIe7.gif

r7PXZYP.gif

M1KzCAL.gif

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the animation is ripped straight from Metal Gear Rising from Raiden's Polearm move set too. lol
Quite a few of her animations are ripped from there as well including the heavy sword charge animation.

Sniper Wolf.
sniper-wolf-metal-gear-solid-video-games.jpg

My pre-teenage self nearly fell in love with her... Bawled so hard man.

Senua from Hellblade.
GDC_Shot_05-e1461771344464.jpg

I love it because her face looks like someone I actually know in real life. In fact her voice actress that her face is modeled after made me do a double take. Even her attitude and how artsy she is, literally just like my friend. This makes her design much more down to earth to me.

Princes Elika from Prince of Persia.
tumblr_lf79afp6Xq1qctq9do1_1280.jpg

She was a princess and yet her overall character design was so badass that she stole the show for me even though the prince was supposed to be the main act.

Then there is this little ball of cuteness...
tumblr_mfl3w6rIUl1r8l821o1_500.gif

Alma Wade from Fear 2. Girl of my dreams for a while there.... And before someone says she looks generic, that is EXACTLY the point of her design and why it is so perfect. She is supposed to remind you of the girl that could actually be yours or some one you know... Now, we are expecting and I want a girl but man... I really hope it doesn't look anything like her. (Knock on wood.)

Cortana.
Cortana_H4.png

I grew up with her. She feels almost like family and is now in my home computer. I really like what they have done with her design making her proportions a little more realistic as graphical fidelity has grown and is able to show her in more detail. What I really like though, is how she wears her appearance in confidence and how that confidence combined with a commanding maternal attitude, that even the flipping Master Chief defies orders to listen to, leads you to respect her. As a teen growing up she really helped me understand that women regardless of appearance could be more than just objects. (I could prob keep going forever but I'm going to stop here lol.)

Hisako from KI.
863f1d3854212ebc453a9dbf5f14032c8290633b.png

Her Character design fits the vengeful spirit trope perfectly which is exactly what the goal was. Her animation along with her sound effects are what really sell it in the end.

Clementine from Telltale's the Walking Dead.
tumblr_static_7j16gsgtt1ss8s804440880g4.png

Love that they chose to design her as someone of color. I love her wild fluffy hair and I love that her design is more of a tomboy rather than the typical girly girl. The way her character evolves from innocent little girl to hardcore sally over the course of events is something to behold. Especially from a child's perspective. Certainly not something you see a lot of.

Nilin from Remember Me.
remember_me___nilin_2_by_ivances-d5hkfg1.png

...Why do I find her so attractive?

That's because she is. she is one of my personal favourite female designs.

But... I don't know any other way to put this lol. I am a (big) boob guy. Her body type usually does nothing for me... But like... everything about her design is pulling at me on multiple levels, not just on a sexual level. I find her truly fascinating and interesting. Usually with designs that I am attracted to it really is only one dimensional but there is just so much going on here on a visual level. I mean, I haven't even played the game so I don't know her character any deeper than what I see and just looking at that pic makes me want to find out. It's amazing really.

Mephala

latest

I don't play FE games at all and just admire designs from a distance BUT DAM if Rinkah isn't purely my aesthetic!!!! Yet people love boring ass robin and lucina....(this franchise wasn't made for me lol)

This actually annoys me because Rinkah is an awesome design stuck in a horrible, horrible character with god awful story. FE characters can be boiled down to stereotypes with a bit of growth and personality/flavour in their support conversations. Rinkah is stuck in a horrible character and never really develops beyond the "I am a fiesty meat eating violent tribes woman." Rinkah has very few likeable traits because she is constantly portrayed as a fish out of water. She doesn't fit in, barely tries and when she learns something or grows a little in one support the next support has her being the fish out of water again. I really don't want to hate her for being so different but she really isn't pleasant to have in story or scenes because of all that I mentioned. The game and story doesn't give her any chance to shine beyond her first appearances. Her qualities of being a strong combatant is a quality shared amongst almost all the characters which really puts her in a weird spot. Sully in Awakening at least clearly beats a good portion of the army in sparring and training.

This isn't really a singular problem with Rinkah either. I think they went in with too many characters and too little in terms of development. Plenty of characters felt introduced and then forgotten while old games would at least have you bring them out for more recruitment later. Even so though, few are tied down with Rinkah's social awkwardness and at least some of the other characters seem to have a good role beyond that such as Scarlet who previously led a rebellion before joining your forces.

For Robin and Lucina, Robin is still a master tactician. s/he is one of the few who wields both sword and tomes. Lucina has the Marth persona while also carrying the tragic backstory with huge loss and uncertain future. They are both so much more interesting than Rinkah is when looking past the simple design. -_-

Veedot

This actually annoys me because Rinkah is an awesome design stuck in a horrible, horrible character with god awful story. FE characters can be boiled down to stereotypes with a bit of growth and personality/flavour in their support conversations. Rinkah is stuck in a horrible character and never really develops beyond the "I am a fiesty meat eating violent tribes woman." Rinkah has very few likeable traits because she is constantly portrayed as a fish out of water. She doesn't fit in, barely tries and when she learns something or grows a little in one support the next support has her being the fish out of water again. I really don't want to hate her for being so different but she really isn't pleasant to have in story or scenes because of all that I mentioned. The game and story doesn't give her any chance to shine beyond her first appearances. Her qualities of being a strong combatant is a quality shared amongst almost all the characters which really puts her in a weird spot. Sully in Awakening at least clearly beats a good portion of the army in sparring and training.

This isn't really a singular problem with Rinkah either. I think they went in with too many characters and too little in terms of development. Plenty of characters felt introduced and then forgotten while old games would at least have you bring them out for more recruitment later. Even so though, few are tied down with Rinkah's social awkwardness and at least some of the other characters seem to have a good role beyond that such as Scarlet who previously led a rebellion before joining your forces.

For Robin and Lucina, Robin is still a master tactician. s/he is one of the few who wields both sword and tomes. Lucina has the Marth persona while also carrying the tragic backstory with huge loss and uncertain future. They are both so much more interesting than Rinkah is when looking past the simple design. -_-

My gripes with Lucina and Robin have nothing to do with the characters just the designs I don't play FE games because I can't stand tactical games(because i'm terrible at them). Its a shame Rinkah seems like a nothing character yet they gave her a great design. Really Lucina is fine if not a good design i just really don't like Marth and her looking like him doesn't help. But like I said i'm not a big FE guy and most of my knowledge comes from them in the smash series and I dislike all the reps they chose for smash (I'd like a FE rep without a sword). But then again i'm not the franchises demographic

1S3aZEJ.gif

MmNrIe7.gif

r7PXZYP.gif

M1KzCAL.gif

This reminds me of when someone on GAF was complaining about persona Carmen being designed provocative and sexy
S06_chara69jsyf.png

only to have someone point out that she's based one the Opera and character of the same name. Who is provocative and sexy.
1280px-Carmen_-_illustration_by_Luc_for_Journal_Amusant_1875.jpg

Mephala

My gripes with Lucina and Robin have nothing to do with the characters just the designs I don't play FE games because I can't stand tactical games(because i'm terrible at them). Its a shame Rinkah seems like a nothing character yet they gave her a great design. Really Lucina is fine if not a good design i just really don't like Marth and her looking like him doesn't help. But like I said i'm not a big FE guy and most of my knowledge comes from them in the smash series and I dislike all the reps they chose for smash (I'd like a FE rep without a sword). But then again i'm not the franchises demographic

We partially got that with Robin who mixes in tomes. Maybe even Corrin who mixes in dragon attacks. Though I think gameplay wise there isn't a lot to distinguish between axe and sword. Still would have been nice I guess. I think one of the problems is that the main characters in Fire Emblem always wields a sword with Ephraim being the exception but he is given a pass because Eurika takes the sword lord position for him.

I think both Robin and Lucina are quite well designed. While not my favourites they are pretty decent even for Fire Emblem standards.

Speely

Banned
Shit I never added my favorite since so many others had great ones! Sorry if someone else already posted this one and I missed it. Tried to go through the whole thread, but there are a lot of pics up in this.

Gum from Jet Set Radio. She is pretty much a perfect design and I wish I was her.

Godcannon

Already mentioned a bunch,but in no order.

2B from Nier: Automata
Red from Transistor
Tifa from FFVII
Elma from XBCX
Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn

All really well designed for each of their respective themes.

So I don't know much about Indivisible(demo was fun), but I really like the artwork and design of the main character,

Ajna.

latest

tumblr_nvetg1QaVL1uzx2jzo1_1280.gif

Blues1990

Mei - Overwatch

The best way to describe this adorable marshmallow is that she's a very pure character. Kind of awkward, a bit shy, but aspires to become like the heroes that surround her. I like how her default apperance & in-game mannerisms reflects her overall design. Even stuff, like her equipment that is composed of hard edges, have soft round shapes, which increases her overall adorability.

Along with Lucio & Zarya, Mei was one of the characters that got me into playing Overwatch.

Haruka Hikari - Mega Man: Battle Network

I really love the design sensibility from the Battle Network series, and it was hard to pick one female design (Tamako Shiraizumi, Ms. Madd, Meddy.EXE, etc), but I decided to go with Lan's mother, Haruka. Definitely envisioned as the ideal stay-at-home parent that will stand by her son's (Lan) side & watch over him with a caring eye, no matter what. I also like how her design & fashion sensibility is pretty reserved. Attractive, but not overly sexy.

Cate Archer - No One Lives Forever

Codenamed 'The Fox', this Scottish covert operative lives up to her name. Supremely capable, funny, brilliant, and possessed of an inhuman level of patience as she deals with her lunkheaded, sexist male colleagues (who regularly challenge her right to undertake covert missions simply because she's a woman). She really is one patient, yet cool, cat that is criminally underrated.

I love the assortment of outfits she has, such as her default attire from the sequel (that's pictured above). Really, go and play NOLF 1 & 2, as they are underrated gems.

In a funk right now so nothing's coming to me (despite how often I consider this question):

Only few coming to mind right now are:

These girls:

No More Heroes for sure

& Razmi from Indivisible too lest we forget.
tumblr_nvka75NP871uzx2jzo1_1280.gif

The whole game is chock full of great female character designs. Alex Ahad and the people at Lab Zero are consistently on point.

Devilotte/Devilot de DeathSatan IX (Cyberbots):
2843547-7763408712-latest

Sabrina (Pokemon) :
P.S. My 2 favorite outfits of hers

King (King of Fighters Series):

I-No (Guilty Gear)

The Boss (MGS3: Snake Eater):

Jill Valentine (Classic Ver. from Resident Evil Series):

P.S. REALLY hate her RE5 catsuit redesign

Rebecca Chambers (Resident Evil Series)
&

Heather Mason (Silent Hill 3):
latest

Cammy White (Street Fighter Series):
315838-capsnk2_cammy_01.jpg

Peacock (Skullgirls):
tumblr_nqpyyoU0E51tghrfao1_500.gif

Eliza (Skullgirls):
2467093-5888373037-24crt.png

Inkling Girl(s) (Splatoon):
600px-WiiU_Splatoon_char_06.png

And lastly, I legit almost forgot
Samus Aran (Metroid):
samus_by_iwaisan.jpg

(Artist is Iwai Ryo BTW)

laverne2.png

Laverne from Day of the Tentacle. I love how not a single person in the game is fazed by her incredibly strange mannerisms.

Setsuka from Soul Calibur. I never got the hang of playing her, but I liked how well her costume design was tied to her moves. Like using the umbrella for some counters and throws, and particularly painful looking kicks with those heavy shoes.

SF3_Makoto.gif

Makoto, Street Fighter. This design is kind of genius in how simple and straightforward it is, and the contrast to the many strange-looking characters makes her stand out.

Top Bottom